Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

my local Co-op gas is cheaper today for a litre of the good stuff than it was on Thursday, 'oh noes, the tax!' lol. 

well, we all know commie gas is cheaper. Its made from potatoes. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I do have one yes, and I think I can back it up. If you can show me where the federal NDP, or any provincial NDP, would have a solid plan on trade and development thats at least equal to the other parties, I'm quite open to adjusting my opinion. 

Well, I don't have a crystal ball that allows me to predict the future, especially where it pertains to extremely unlikely scenarios, such as the NDP forming the next federal government....

I'll leave that to you and your 10 year old "backup".

Anyway, the actual point I was making is that I'm unconvinced that the Cons would handle such a hypothetical negotiation better......and that, I too can back up:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harper-nafta-napping-trudeau-1.4376523

"I fear that the NAFTA re-negotiation is going very badly. I also believe that President (Donald) Trump's threat to terminate NAFTA is not a bluff … I believe this threat is real. Therefore, Canada's government needs to get its head around this reality: it does not matter whether current American proposals are worse than what we have now. What matters in evaluating them is whether it is worth having a trade agreement with the Americans or not."

In other words, Harper's position was that Freeland should have caved.....

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

That's an excellent point. When the Liberal talking point continues to focus on the dubious rebates it leads one to wonder what the actual point of the tax is. As it stands it seems like merely another paper straw solution.

It isn't to make money.....it's to reduce emissions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Well, I don't have a crystal ball that allows me to predict the future, especially where it pertains to extremely unlikely scenarios, such as the NDP forming the next federal government....

if you go look at the Broadbent Institutes discussions on trade, yes you'll see that its still the same stuff. "my 10 year old backup" has been NDP doctrine for decades. Prove me wrong. 

Anyway, the actual point I was making is that I'm unconvinced that the Cons would handle such a hypothetical negotiation better......and that, I too can back up:

"I fear that the NAFTA re-negotiation is going very badly. I also believe that President (Donald) Trump's threat to terminate NAFTA is not a bluff … I believe this threat is real. Therefore, Canada's government needs to get its head around this reality: it does not matter whether current American proposals are worse than what we have now. What matters in evaluating them is whether it is worth having a trade agreement with the Americans or not."

Harper is an sob, you won't get an argument from me on that. 

and yet, by all accounts, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland knocked it out of the park. We got a home run on that renegotiation, because while trump wasn't bluffing, he is a blustering maroon, and didn't have any idea what he wanted to reopen NAFTA for...in the end we gave up an extra % of our dairy and improved in other areas, A solid win for Freeland's team. 

24 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

and yet, by all accounts, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland knocked it out of the park. We got a home run on that renegotiation, because while trump wasn't bluffing, he is a blustering maroon, and didn't have any idea what he wanted to reopen NAFTA for...in the end we gave up an extra % of our dairy and improved in other areas, A solid win for Freeland's team. 

Yep. Which kind of underscores my point that I wouldn't trust the Cons to handle such negotiations.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yep. Which kind of underscores my point that I wouldn't trust the Cons to handle such negotiations.

totally!

I should add too, my family has a couple dairy farms, my brother in law told me the year that we gave up an extra, i think it was 1.5% in dairy: the total dairy market went up in Canada by 6%, so no farmer 'lost' anything, they generally gained 4.5% that year in demand.

now England wants its % and tried to negotiate it and Freeland's team told them to take it up with the EU: their share is still embedded in the EU, and they will have to take it up with them if they want it carved out. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

but you get that back, so for your family thats a neutral thing. Unless the oil company is adding an extra gouge for you, and then thats on them.

I don't get how the carbon tax is neutral for my family?

Just asking my understanding of the tax is not good. I don't understand how I'm neutral?

Today's main theme from.the axe the tax movement is a meme stating Trudeau is considering a new law to limit personal travel next to cut down on emissions 

That and somehow the RCMP are now brown shirts ( nazis) and illegally violated their oaths  and blocked the protesters from doing gods work ... Sorry PPs work and shut everything down 

All kidding aside PP is playing with fire and feeding into a craze that started with good intentions but now is so far removed from reality that I do think his actions have crossed an ethical line.

If you see someone who clearly isn't grounded in reality and you validate their conspiracy beliefs your not helping them ... Your harming them and everyone around them 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, chris12345 said:

Thanks!

Nothing for BC? $hit! Did I read it correctly?

I think theirs is mostly in energy efficient projects?

yea we've had ours too long - Lib's were leaders on this: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/climate-change/clean-economy/carbon-tax

But some families in BC do get a credit: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-quarterly-carbon-tax-rebates-1.6987717

So if you're in that bracket, you get some back. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yea we've had ours too long - Lib's were leaders on this: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/climate-change/clean-economy/carbon-tax

But some families in BC do get a credit: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-quarterly-carbon-tax-rebates-1.6987717

So if you're in that bracket, you get some back. 

Thank you!

So nothing for me. Definitely not neutral however - can't complain if you are over the threshold I guess.

Just now, chris12345 said:

Thank you!

So nothing for me. Definitely not neutral however - can't complain if you are over the threshold I guess.

BC is weird as usual. Its a pretty low threshold, but they claim 2 million of us see it, so I guess thats good. 

So you're correct, its a qualified neutral. 

We actually pay some of the lower fuel taxes here but the gas companies gouge the crap out of us. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

BC is weird as usual. Its a pretty low threshold, but they claim 2 million of us see it, so I guess thats good. 

We actually pay some of the lower fuel taxes here but the gas companies gouge the crap out of us. 

Yea we can argue about the income thresholds but that is for another day.

Seems low to me - rough math $50k per year per family is below minimum wage for two working stiffs...... but what do I know?

• ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10395970/vancouver-highest-fuel-prices-fuel-tax-north-america/

Lower fuel taxes?

14 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

That headline jumped into my head too but it is talking about metro Vancouver.

Where does BC as a province sit?

59 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

I don't get how the carbon tax is neutral for my family?

Just asking my understanding of the tax is not good. I don't understand how I'm neutral?

roughly 2/3rds of BC households will get a rebate is what I read from the governments stuff on it. the less you spend, therefore earn, the less your taxed so the lower income households definately gain from the rebates, and the rebates are supposedly 80% of the extra tax income, so the 20% income left over that the higher earning households dont get back goes to hospitals, schools, roads...all the things that every one of us uses at some point. If, like me, you don't get the rebate: congrats on having a good living wage for your household. We are fortunate, not only in Canadian terms, but globally we are near the 1% that Berni Sanders hates. haha

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That headline jumped into my head too but it is talking about metro Vancouver.

Where does BC as a province sit?

I keep immaculate financial tracking for my household and it pays off, highly recommend it to anyone not yet doing so. 

So i know i bought 1575.6 litres of gas for my Kia Soul in 2023 for a cost of $3022.32.

the tax is roughly 3.3 cents per litre from April 1st onwards, so lets say from April to April is the year...my 1575.6 liters at 3.3 cents...is 52 bucks a year.  I can earn that 52 bucks in under 20 mins of billing as a consultant anytime in the year, or, by say, not buying 20 Timmies coffee's throughout the year. Frankly most people have spent more than 52 dollars in time talking about the tax in the past year than they will spend earning the money to pay the tax. 

It really is insignificant to any one persons bottom line. BUT 5 million of us paying 52 a year in extra tax in BC is 260 million dollars to fund our province. (20% of which is kept after the rebates by the gov: or 52 million.

No one wants to chip in for collective good anymore, and that is worrisome to me. I am happy enough paying the taxes we currently pay and simply don't care about the extra buck fitty.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I agree,

As someone without children this is bizarre to me.

I would think the breeders would want to set up a better future for thier offspring. 

yeah, we are dinks here, haha, dual income no kids: but the tax that bothers me most is "The Cheese Tax"...i have a corgi and a Valhund and they both demand toll's on whatever food I am eating..that is a very real tax that hurts at the pumps..errr Fridge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1