Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Yep. Which kind of underscores my point that I wouldn't trust the Cons to handle such negotiations.

you still haven't made the case why anyone would trust the NDP to do it. 

A Tale Of Two Stances:

The current carbon tax debate is important — it's just not serious

The arguments being made by opponents only make sense if you ignore some awkward facts

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/carbon-tax-trudeau-poilievre-1.7159005

Carson Jerema: Economists' open letter oblivious to carbon tax realities

Liberal policy is on top of massive subsidies and regulations, which the letter ignores

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/carson-jerema-economists-open-letter-oblivious-to-carbon-tax-realities

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

neutral for consumers isn't a bad thing. It reminds me a little of the change to the GST/HST where people argued it would drive prices up dramatically. All it did was remove the old 13% manufacturers tax for the most part, and made it a much more efficient tax system.

Carbon pricing is a globally recognized method of creating a market to drive carbon out of the value chain. If you have something better to show us, please do I'd love to see it. 

but you get that back, so for your family thats a neutral thing. Unless the oil company is adding an extra gouge for you, and then thats on them. 

Aren't Canada's emissions staying kind of flat, other then last year with an uptick in emissions from oil and gas and buildings (https://climateinstitute.ca/news/canadas-climate-progress/)?

We can certainly do more to green up buildings. Oil and gas paying a bit more is fine by me, as long as its basically neutral for most people. 

Yes, although I was speaking to the perception of the carbon tax, not to it's actual effectiveness. Personal experience is always going to matter, regardless of studies, news reports, or political pandering. It isn't beneficial to condescend to voters even if/when you are technically correct. Nor is it good policy to tell people they need to be 'punished' for heating their homes, driving to work, etc.

Good intentions, piss poor communication.

1 minute ago, Maninthebox said:

Yes, although I was speaking to the perception of the carbon tax, not to it's actual effectiveness. Personal experience is always going to matter, regardless of studies, news reports, or political pandering. It isn't beneficial to condescend to voters even if/when you are technically correct. Nor is it good policy to tell people they need to be 'punished' for heating their homes, driving to work, etc.

Good intentions, piss poor communication.

I think this is where PP putting so much stock in his "axe the tax" thing could backfire. People in Canada still pay attention during elections, and IF the case is made well by the Libs, and the media for that matter, that its actually a "good" tax, then PP comes off looking like a bit of a wanker. 

I mean I get it, every politician in waiting loves having a tax to make people mad about. But people also don't like being played. 

• ThereItIs 1

One thing to factor in is the cost of climate issues 

Logical people could agree to disagree on what's causing the climate issues yet.still agree that the flooding , forest fires and drought issues are in fact real and happening 

The carbon tax should be renamed climate change tax and clearly spelled out that it funds the billions per year in fire fighting and evacuation costs , rebuilding after flooding and the costs to deal with drought.

The impacts of climate.change are real and very costly. The impacts of climate change are not neutral.and now events are so predictable they must be budgeted for 

• Vintage 3

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

you still haven't made the case why anyone would trust the NDP to do it. 

I'm not sure how I can make a case on something purely hypothetical.

I guess all I can say is that I don't believe Jag would cancel the deal outright and I don't think he would cave to US demands as Harper would have. Sorry, but that's all the "proof" I can give you.

32 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm not sure how I can make a case on something purely hypothetical.

I guess all I can say is that I don't believe Jag would cancel the deal outright and I don't think he would cave to US demands as Harper would have. Sorry, but that's all the "proof" I can give you.

Well, it's not really hypothetical tho if the left vote splits and hands PP a big majority, because people think Jag would be a competent PM. 

He's fine as someone pushing for programs holding a balance of power, but that's a long way from someone i would want in critical situations like NAFTA negotiations.

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Well, it's not really hypothetical tho if the left vote splits and hands PP a big majority, because people think Jag would be a competent PM. 

He's fine as someone pushing for programs holding a balance of power, but that's a long way from someone i would want in critical situations like NAFTA negotiations.

Of course it's hypothetical. There's no way to know how Singh would do in such negotiations....or as PM for that matter. We might have opinions, but that's all they are.

FWIW, I'd rather see Freeland back in the saddle if and when NAFTA 3.0 comes around, but I don't think I'm going to get my wish. Too many Canadians seems to believe the Polievre hype. (though I don't understand why)

• Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Of course it's hypothetical. There's no way to know how Singh would do in such negotiations....or as PM for that matter. We might have opinions, but that's all they are.

FWIW, I'd rather see Freeland back in the saddle if and when NAFTA 3.0 comes around, but I don't think I'm going to get my wish. Too many Canadians seems to believe the Polievre hype. (though I don't understand why)

I think a good amount of his base is voting against Trudeau rather than for Poilievre.

• ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/ndp-against-canada-increasing-defence-spending-to-hit-arbitrary-nato-target-1.5835049

I also really don't feel comfortable with what an NDP government would do to our military. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, 112 said:

I think a good amount of his base is voting against Trudeau rather than for Poilievre.

Agreed. It certainly doesn't appear to be based on anything concrete, other than I suppose, too much taxes......

Which would be fine, if it wasn't the same poeple crying about not enough being done to help out middle and lower income folks.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

This whole carbon tax issue may be the final straw for Trudeau. The tax itself is not that expensive (roughly $65 a year more). Honestly, if you can't afford THIS, you're in a whole lot more trouble and the carbon tax is not the problem. I think if the party was popular, this tax would be a non-issue.

So this begs the question as to how people are doing. It's a reality that many people are living paycheque to paycheque. This could be the result of poor spending habits, predatory lending practices (including leasing), necessities for people that are becoming too expensive, or just the fact that people's wages are not enough, despite the costs of housing.

As another poster (Elias Pettersson) aptly said: Trudeau has gone too far left and is getting more and more radical. On the other hand, PP is too far on the right. Canadians are being divided between two AWFUL choices right now.

It's clear that climate change needs to be addressed. Perhaps a better strategy would've been to have Canadians the option to swap out their old cars with electric ones. Obviously not all Canadians can use electric, so not everyone can take advantage of this. There'd be costs of course, which I'm no Finance Minister so I can't crunch those numbers. I think it would be a smarter idea than the carbon tax, which IMO is not really that big of a deal.

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree. Trudeau has pushed the Liberals too far to the left.  And Poilievre has pushed the Conservatives too far to the right. Unfortunately the NDP isn’t a centrist party, so that’s where the problem lies. 

Ultimately the NDP needs to get new leadership to push one of the other parties to the centre. None of Trudeau, Poilievre or Singh are fit to run the country. It’s probably one of the worst times in Canadian history where there really isn’t anyone capable of being the Prime Minister. 

I'd love to hear what's so "far left" about the Liberals to be honest. Equal rights for Trans people and the like isn't "far left" IMO, given that they're just people after all. And we agree that all people should have equal rights, right?

Beyond that, what exactly are they so "far left" about that the right feels they need to swing their pendulum towards wack-a-doos as a result?

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I'd love to hear what's so "far left" about the Liberals to be honest. Equal rights for Trans people and the like isn't "far left" IMO, given that they're just people after all. And we agree that all people should have equal rights, right?

not for the god boys. They think its OK to discriminate. 

• ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I do have one yes, and I think I can back it up. If you can show me where the federal NDP, or any provincial NDP, would have a solid plan on trade and development thats at least equal to the other parties, I'm quite open to adjusting my opinion. 

The BC NDP hasn't seemed to bring industry to a shrieking halt in BC despite your fears (or any other NDP run Provinces for that matter). The stance that we should protect and encourage higher value product/tech manufacturing IN Canada seems to fall right in to your wheelhouse.

As for their seemingly strong stance on trade matters...well, it's easy to have strong stances on things when you're 3rd or 4th party. If in actual power, like ANY government you have to govern in reality and  negotiate both in parliament, and in any international treaties and compromise on your "ideal" stances. Not sure why the NDP would be any different in that regard? 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

The BC NDP hasn't seemed to bring industry to a shrieking halt in BC despite your fears (or any other NDP run Provinces for that matter). The stance that we should protect and encourage higher value product/tech manufacturing IN Canada seems to fall right in to your wheelhouse.

It is in my wheelhouse, which is why I have the opinion I do. "Fear" has nothing to do with it.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

As for their seemingly strong stance on trade matters...well, it's easy to have strong stances on things when you're 3rd or 4th party. If in actual power, like ANY government you have to govern in reality and  negotiate both in parliament, and in any international treaties and compromise on your "ideal" stances. Not sure why the NDP would be any different in that regard? 

Sure.

10 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am over the threshold, and I don't care that I don't get the rebate. I am prepaying my mortgage by 5k a month, that is on top of the regular mortgage payments. Household income of 150k a year. Who cares about what amounts to $1.50 a fill up on new taxes? Not me. I am happy to have a new hospital being built in my home town and roads to drive on: a timmies coffee every two weeks just doesn't matter to me: but a couple million timmies coffees every few weeks is a LOT of extra income for our government, which provides services to us, wither you want them to or not. 

People like you makes me happy that other well-paid Canadians actually want more for other people than hoarding it all.

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

"But, people are losing their houses!" :frantic:

(That was an actual comment from one of the protesters last weekend in 'Berta)

Well they are: the people who barely qualified at the lowest interest rate in the history of loaning out money...and then went deeper in debt for a F350, quad and Snowmachine and then lost their job at Fort Mac. But the carbon tax ain't the reason. lol.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

30 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Well they are: the people who barely qualified at the lowest interest rate in the history of loaning out money...and then went deeper in debt for a F350, quad and Snowmachine and then lost their job at Fort Mac. But the carbon tax ain't the reason. lol.

To be a bit fair, there was some terrible advice from mortgage brokers out there a few years back. For a few weeks there you could lock in for 10 years at 2% but the brokers all said not to.

• MillerTime 1

And yeah, the carbon tax is NOT that big of an issue, and PP was brilliant enough to try and force out a government on THIS issue.

Talk about a lack of foresight and a lack of vision in general.

NO to PP. I'm not going to be voting Conservative anytime soon because they have shown they don't have any clue as to knowing the pulse of the population.