Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Sapper said:

And the latest slogan from the axe the tax group 

#onemillionhonks 

FINALLY a conservative slogan I can get behind.  I asked the wife if we could so our share to put a dent in that million and she her terms of a dinner date out and a Costco run ......

Seems legit value so thanks PP for the laughing good time lol

image.png.fae823d088393ec8e933b173550d40e1.png

• Haha 3

Nothing to see here.  Just a CONservative province taking in revenue through a program that sounds an awful lot like a carbon tax.

What's that, the Premier even admitted it is one?   You don't say..

https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatchewan/sask-expects-351-3m-from-provincial-carbon-tax-in-2024-25

Sask. expects $351.3M from provincial carbon tax in 2024-25

Money to be from Output-Based Performance Standards (OBPS) was included in the recent 2024-25 budget

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 2

Metro Vancouver gas prices explained: Here's a breakdown of the price at the pump (msn.com)

Metro Vancouver gas prices explained: Here's a breakdown of the price at the pump

Based on a price of around $2.08 per litre:

BC motor fuel tax - 8.5 cents

TransLink - 18.5 cents

Carbon tax - 17.61 cents

Federal excise tax - 10 cents

GST - 9.9 cents

BC low carbon fuel tax - 18 cents

Retail margin - 10 cents

Refinery margin - 43.3 cents

Crude oil prices - 71.5 cents

Total taxes are 82.51 cents.  That's approx. 39.70% of the cost of the gas.  The carbon tax alone in BC is 35.61 cents or 17% of the cost of the gas.

• Vintage 1

As B.C.'s carbon tax goes up, here's how you qualify for a rebate | Vancouver Sun

As B.C.'s carbon tax goes up, here's how you qualify for a rebate

How much is the rebate?

For those who qualify for the tax credit, the amount received is based on household size and net income.

Currently, a single person with a take-home income of less than $39,000 gets a maximum credit of $447 this year, which is divided into quarterly payments made in July, October, January and April. The payments get smaller the more a single person makes until $61,000 a year, at which the credit is zero.

These rebates and thresholds will increase in July, so that a single person will get $504 if they make less than $41,000 a year.

A family of five with two parents and three children with take-home pay of less than $50,000 a year  currently qualifies for about double the amount of the tax credit a single person, at about $1,003 a year. The payments get smaller as the family’s household income increases until $100,420 a year, at which the credit is zero.

To see the income thresholds for your specific family situation, visit the B.C. government’s website here for details.

When does the eligibility change?

The eligibility thresholds will change in July. The new thresholds for the maximum net income a year a single person or a household of five can make before the tax credit is zero haven’t yet been published, said Kathryn Harris, a University of B.C. political science professor, who specializes in environmental, climate and energy policy.

She is expecting they will be in the ballpark of in the low $60,000 range for a single person and to just above $100,000 a year for a household of one or two income-earners and three dependents, which is about median income.

17 hours ago, Sapper said:

People forgot Harper ..... He put all his eggs into the raise the dollar path as most of our manufacturing is gone and we are an Import country 

Remember when after his bragging that a higher dollar will lower costs as the stores import at us dollars so a higher Canadian buck means cheaper prices ?  And remember him as an embarrassing moment having to call out retailers for just pocketing the savings and not lowering anything ? This of course was followed by a buy canadian blitz to help stem the tide of cross border.shopping

Remember Harper bumping OAS to 67 and other cuts just to gift those tax dollars to companies......companies like cat who took the money and packed to leave.the country .....with our money ?

This all is completely washed from their collective memories in this unicorn fantasy that axing a tax will mean money in our pockets.

A scarier question isn't how many taxes he will.cut but rather what is he going to cut to pay for it ? Your health care ? Your child care ? Your elder care ? Provincial transfers to force dramatic cuts to education ?

I'd say sell crown assets but Mulroney did most of that 

Maybe cause mass contracting out ? Making a.few hundred thousand Canadian families poorer with the only net gain being higher foreign corporate profits seems about right 

We saw this in BC with Gordos mass contracting out of health workers.  Tens of thousands of BC families driven into poverty , no hospital improvements but eh a couple of foreign multi national companies made a fortune for their shareholder's 

It's the conservative way

Not supporting old Stevie, but we are a net export country.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Metro Vancouver gas prices explained: Here's a breakdown of the price at the pump (msn.com)

Metro Vancouver gas prices explained: Here's a breakdown of the price at the pump

Based on a price of around $2.08 per litre:

BC motor fuel tax - 8.5 cents

TransLink - 18.5 cents

Carbon tax - 17.61 cents

Federal excise tax - 10 cents

GST - 9.9 cents

BC low carbon fuel tax - 18 cents

Retail margin - 10 cents

Refinery margin - 43.3 cents

Crude oil prices - 71.5 cents

Total taxes are 82.51 cents.  That's approx. 39.70% of the cost of the gas.  The carbon tax alone in BC is 35.61 cents or 17% of the cost of the gas.

When I left the industry in 2001 my Retail Margin was 2.8 cents per litre. My amortized cost for the pumps, storage tanks and maintenance was 4.5 cents. Brutal. 

When I left the industry in 2001 the estimated sales of gas and diesel in my market was 22,000,000 litres. By your numbers the government take would be;

22,000,000 x $0.6401 = $14,082,200 from my small valley. 

• Thanks 1

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/canada-s-unemployment-rate-rises-to-6-1-per-cent-1.6834778

OTTAWA -

Canada's unemployment rate jumped to 6.1 per cent in March as more people looked for work and job growth stalled -- solidifying expectations of a June interest rate cut.

Statistics Canada's labour force survey on Friday shows the jobless rate is up from 5.8 per cent in February, marking the largest monthly increase in the unemployment rate since summer 2022.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/canada-s-unemployment-rate-rises-to-6-1-per-cent-1.6834778

OTTAWA -

Canada's unemployment rate jumped to 6.1 per cent in March as more people looked for work and job growth stalled -- solidifying expectations of a June interest rate cut.

Statistics Canada's labour force survey on Friday shows the jobless rate is up from 5.8 per cent in February, marking the largest monthly increase in the unemployment rate since summer 2022.

What exactly are you cheering for @Elias Pettersson?

• Upvote 1

On 4/4/2024 at 11:17 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure where you are getting your poll numbers from. But on 338Canada.com the numbers haven’t changed at all. As of March 31, the Conservative Party is still projected to get 210 seats with 42% of the vote. 

IMG_1039.png

IMG_1038.png

The weekly DEEP DIVE polling I see shows that March ended with across the board numbers of:

CON: 37%

LIB: 26%
NDP: 19%

GRN: 5%

PPC: 2%

while in Quebec:

BQ: 39%

LIB: 26%

NDP: 14%

CON: 14%

GRN: 4%

PPC: 3%

More importantly though, the most likely to vote (Seniors 60+) demographics Federally Including QC:

LIB: 34%

CON: 33%

NDP: 16%

BQ: 12%

GRN: 3%

PPC: 1%

Older voters, (age 50-59) still more likely to vote than their younger counterparts Federally Including QC:

CON: 39%

LIB: 36%

NDP: 13%

BQ: 9%

GRN: 3%

PPC: 1%

I get that 338 is cool, I use it too, but it is outdated and not administered in the lull between storms. 

I mention this in response because it highlights how the CONS are already down 5% in polls over about three weeks from PEAK CON of about what you mention 42%. They are already in the territory of winning a minority of seats, and have NO dance partner to maintain government with in the event they don't win an outright majority. Peak Con I think died on the Ides of March, but that is just a funny coincidence I think. I suspect the CON lead will further erode over the next three weeks or so, and might have a stiffening or slight rebound shortly after the Budget is launched, like within a week or two of Budget day. I fully suspect this summer will lead to a rising tide for the Liberals, as the NDP is losing its MP's left and right, with three more announcing they won't be returning to fight the next election. Jagmeet Dhaliwal errr Singh is losing his caucus, and his best people now at a rate of 25% from the last election...by end summer he may not have 50% of MP's willing to run again. That progressive vote surely will not be going to P.P. Le Pew.

Trudeau announces $600 million in loans, funding to jump-start homebuilding, rentals

https://www.timescolonist.com/national-news/trudeau-announces-600-million-in-loans-funding-to-jump-start-homebuilding-rentals-8558715

OTTAWA — The federal Liberal government plans a $600-million package of loans and funding to help make it easier and cheaper to build homes for owners and renters.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made the announcement in Calgary, just the latest in a string of pre-budget announcements aimed at winning over younger voters.

"Younger generations, like millennials and gen-Z, feel like they're falling behind because housing costs are just too high," said Trudeau.

"That's not OK — and it needs to change."

Trudeau said $50 million would go toward a homebuilding technology and innovation fund, with another $50 million to modernize and expedite construction.

An additional $500 million worth of low-cost loans will foster projects with "innovative" construction techniques from prefabricated and modular housing manufacturers and other builders.

Housing Minister Sean Fraser said Canada is living through a housing crisis, but it doesn't have to be like that going forward.

"But it's going to demand that we do things in different ways," he said, adding more announcements would be made in coming weeks.

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland will table the next federal budget April 16.

Trudeau's string of cross-Canada news conferences, often with Freeland at his side, comes after months of often-intense political attacks from opposition parties who blame the housing crisis on Liberal inaction.

On Friday, he "announced a 'new' program on innovation when a similar program already exists and re-announced two other existing programs," Conservative housing critic Scott Aitchison said in a statement.

"All of these are his existing policies that have contributed to the doubling of the cost of housing."

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith said Friday she's not interested in pursuing federal money with conditions attached "if it means hamstringing our ability to build the kind of housing that we need."

Smith said she wants a model for Alberta's federal-provincial partnership similar to the one with Quebec, billing it as a healthier relationship that allows both sides to decide together where federal funds are spent.

Federal NDP housing critic Jenny Kwan blamed a lack of housing stock on the failures of both the Liberal government and its Conservative predecessor to prioritize building affordable places to live. 

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

When I left the industry in 2001 my Retail Margin was 2.8 cents per litre. My amortized cost for the pumps, storage tanks and maintenance was 4.5 cents. Brutal. 

When I left the industry in 2001 the estimated sales of gas and diesel in my market was 22,000,000 litres. By your numbers the government take would be;

22,000,000 x $0.6401 = $14,082,200 from my small valley. 

You took in 600k and didn't build and staff roads, schools, hospitals, et cetera et cetera et cetera. I will go out on a limb and guess your small valley got far more than 14 million worth of all the above, making taxes work for everyone. But that is just my guess. I lean towards government taking profit off oil and gas and other natural resources more than i lean towards individuals taking in the profits and leaving with them for luxury vacays in other nations and what have you. Don't get me wrong, I am all for profit for small businesses, but along with the 600 thousand from gas, I have to assume you also had a storefront tagged onto those gaspumps and likely brought in extra revenue by selling the gas, like stores do with having lotto and cigarettes: it is a driver of spending traffic through your cash registers. 

Hating taxes to me at least, is like hating everyone that makes less than you do in your region, province and country: because the taxes largely go to help anyone making less than you, less than me, less than the average folks, and lets face it, our average folks are doing real good on a global scale. We can afford to look after our neighbours. 

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

The funniest thing about the current TAX fight in Canada is that the rich and greedy have managed to convince the poor and needy that somehow taxation hurts them both equally. Do the math folks, and figure out if you are under the average income in Canada or over it. If you are under it, taxes are your buddy, you get far more from taxes and what they are spent on than you contribute towards. If you are over the average, you are one of the most wealthy humans on the planet. 

Greed aside: what on earth are the overwhelming 80% of Canadians complaining about other than they don't wanna pay for someone else's hip replacement. (and again if you check, there is only a 1 in five chance you are paying more than you are getting out of it via taxation). 

/endrant.

It is apparent that some of the folks here are in the top 5% of income earners in Canada.  They are also peddlers of false information.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

The funniest thing about the current TAX fight in Canada is that the rich and greedy have managed to convince the poor and needy that somehow taxation hurts them both equally. Do the math folks, and figure out if you are under the average income in Canada or over it. If you are under it, taxes are your buddy, you get far more from taxes and what they are spent on than you contribute towards. If you are over the average, you are one of the most wealthy humans on the planet. 

Greed aside: what on earth are the overwhelming 80% of Canadians complaining about other than they don't wanna pay for someone else's hip replacement. (and again if you check, there is only a 1 in five chance you are paying more than you are getting out of it via taxation). 

/endrant.

^ this is what the axe the tax thing is really about, the show not the reality. PP knows if he can keep enough people mad he can say outright lies.

• ThereItIs 1

30 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

It is apparent that some of the folks here are in the top 5% of income earners in Canada.  They are also peddlers of false information.

For me it's about getting value for tax money, and not standing in the way of entrepreneurship. Outside of that, I'm all for the social safety net, it just makes it better for everyone.

• Cheers 1

https://globalnews.ca/news/10401449/vancouver-full-blown-crisis-housing-affordability-report/

A new report from the Royal Bank of Canada is painting a bleak picture of just how unaffordable and unattainable buying a home in Vancouver is.

The report, which looks at housing trends across the country, found that it has never been as expensive to own a home anytime, anywhere in Canada as it was in Vancouver in the last quarter of 2023.

The report stated that Vancouver is in a “full-blown crisis.”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

Jagmeet Dhaliwal errr Singh

I work with a few Singhs.

I love that they adopt that name, means something very cool. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10401449/vancouver-full-blown-crisis-housing-affordability-report/

A new report from the Royal Bank of Canada is painting a bleak picture of just how unaffordable and unattainable buying a home in Vancouver is.

The report, which looks at housing trends across the country, found that it has never been as expensive to own a home anytime, anywhere in Canada as it was in Vancouver in the last quarter of 2023.

Few years ago there was a poster that was predicting a massive housing crash, using that cheesy phrase 'hide your children, hide your wife'. It dipped but the crash never came. 

So glad I didn't listen to him as I was about to make the biggest property purchase of my life. I would have missed out on a lot of equity. 

We dont have the inventory and the rich dont want to do anything about it. They have too much invested in the market. So the different levels of gov will keep shifting the blame, cause ...well the rich own and run the governments.

• ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Generation Z is a lost generation. They will never be able to afford a home in Vancouver. 

Once interest rates drop in June prices will climb even higher as a result of limited supply and higher demand. 

2025 could see a spike in prices of up to 20%. 

• Cheers 1