Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Cheers for the information. Are you that anal you look at people’s reactions to posts?  🤣

Am I what?   Are you dissing me for being observant? 🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I changed the reaction to “thanks”. Just wanted to make sure you were able to get some sleep tonight and not stress over it too much. ☺️

I think I'll be ok.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10401449/vancouver-full-blown-crisis-housing-affordability-report/

A new report from the Royal Bank of Canada is painting a bleak picture of just how unaffordable and unattainable buying a home in Vancouver is.

The report, which looks at housing trends across the country, found that it has never been as expensive to own a home anytime, anywhere in Canada as it was in Vancouver in the last quarter of 2023.

The report stated that Vancouver is in a “full-blown crisis.”

So don't move to Vancouver?

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

You took in 600k and didn't build and staff roads, schools, hospitals, et cetera et cetera et cetera. I will go out on a limb and guess your small valley got far more than 14 million worth of all the above, making taxes work for everyone. But that is just my guess. I lean towards government taking profit off oil and gas and other natural resources more than i lean towards individuals taking in the profits and leaving with them for luxury vacays in other nations and what have you. Don't get me wrong, I am all for profit for small businesses, but along with the 600 thousand from gas, I have to assume you also had a storefront tagged onto those gaspumps and likely brought in extra revenue by selling the gas, like stores do with having lotto and cigarettes: it is a driver of spending traffic through your cash registers. 

Hating taxes to me at least, is like hating everyone that makes less than you do in your region, province and country: because the taxes largely go to help anyone making less than you, less than me, less than the average folks, and lets face it, our average folks are doing real good on a global scale. We can afford to look after our neighbours. 

What a cheap shot. Reread my post. My margin on gasoline was less than that required to maintain the sale of fuel. It is the main reason I sold. The numbers did not work. You make a lot of assumptions about how profitable my business was to make political points. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

For me it's about getting value for tax money, and not standing in the way of entrepreneurship. Outside of that, I'm all for the social safety net, it just makes it better for everyone.

Yea it is a fine line between taxation and encouraging investment for growth and job creation/innovation.

I'm no way smart enough to know where the line is.

It's also tough when tax revenue is spent on what appears to be wasteful. It might not be but sometimes it sure looks like it.

10 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Yea it is a fine line between taxation and encouraging investment for growth and job creation/innovation.

I'm no way smart enough to know where the line is.

It's also tough when tax revenue is spent on what appears to be wasteful. It might not be but sometimes it sure looks like it.

I think we can tell from our position in the g20, and where we continue to rank on livability reports.

That's why it pisses me off so much when Skippy runs around saying everything is "broken" like that little weasel has any real world experience to fix it.

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10401449/vancouver-full-blown-crisis-housing-affordability-report/

A new report from the Royal Bank of Canada is painting a bleak picture of just how unaffordable and unattainable buying a home in Vancouver is.

The report, which looks at housing trends across the country, found that it has never been as expensive to own a home anytime, anywhere in Canada as it was in Vancouver in the last quarter of 2023.

The right wing folks will agree: let the free market decide. I said like 5 weeks ago: when i was ready to settle down and have a family I made a choice to leave the Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island area of my youth and make a living for myself out in the world. My nephews in their generation have by and large done the same and moved to places where they can earn 120k, 155k and a niece making almost 200k, but not in the most expensive place to live, they had to leave  to make it and buy their homes. Like me, they will eventually retire back to where we are from and have a nice retirement with income and savings and home ownership as a result. My advice if you are making less than 50k a year in Vancouver is to stop doing that. You can be poor in Newfoundland, or PEI or an awesome place like Fredericton, New Brunswick, but the odds are you can afford to live there and save money for your retirement. 

I dont see any government measure from any party who may be in government in the future making a House in Vancouver affordable for anyone earning less than 50k, or a family earning less than 100k. Hate to be the bearer of bad news. 

Unfortunately it is just supply and demand: Canada is the best nation on earth to live in. I have seen most of the continents and a lot of countries in my time, and there is no better place than here in the Great White North, hosers. ON top of that, I find BC to be one of the best provinces within that great nation, and specifically the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands to be the best space in BC. Ergo, one of the very best places to live on earth is here, where most of us Vancouver Fans live and work and retired. They are not making the lower mainland any bigger... so it is only going to get taller and more costly. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

This is the Canadian politics thread? I don't care about cities and countries I don't live in

That's fair, but you can't treat housing like other cities and countries don't exist.  You also can't treat it like a strictly national issue either.  No one with any brain would think housing in Canada is the federal government's responsibility right now.  Maybe 45 years ago, but not now.

Following up on my post two or three spots up from here: I checked Realtor.ca for the three spots I mentioned affordable housing exists:

https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel=12&Center=45.954359%2C-66.536825&LatitudeMax=46.04749&LongitudeMax=-66.26491&LatitudeMin=45.86107&LongitudeMin=-66.80874&Sort=1-A&PropertyTypeGroupID=1&TransactionTypeId=2&PropertySearchTypeId=0&BedRange=1-0&Currency=CAD&HiddenListingIds=&IncludeHiddenListings=false

I see a house for sale for 135 thousand. Another for 246 thousand. In Freddy, NB.

skipping to PEI and avoiding trailors, i found the first house at 149.9 thousand...

skipping to Newfoundland and jumping over the trailers, the first house is for sale at 39,000 dollars. I could buy that in cash right now, not bragging, its just that cheap. 

50k for a three bed 1 bath, 58k for a two story with a basement, 60k for a 4 bed, two bath home.

You get the idea. I do not know why people are working for nearly minimum wage in Vancouver paying most of it in rent for a shoebox to hang your hat in when you can earn minimum wage with a buddy and afford to live in any of these three places with space to grow your life. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

Following up on my post two or three spots up from here: I checked Realtor.ca for the three spots I mentioned affordable housing exists:

https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel=12&Center=45.954359%2C-66.536825&LatitudeMax=46.04749&LongitudeMax=-66.26491&LatitudeMin=45.86107&LongitudeMin=-66.80874&Sort=1-A&PropertyTypeGroupID=1&TransactionTypeId=2&PropertySearchTypeId=0&BedRange=1-0&Currency=CAD&HiddenListingIds=&IncludeHiddenListings=false

I see a house for sale for 135 thousand. Another for 246 thousand. In Freddy, NB.

skipping to PEI and avoiding trailors, i found the first house at 149.9 thousand...

skipping to Newfoundland and jumping over the trailers, the first house is for sale at 39,000 dollars. I could buy that in cash right now, not bragging, its just that cheap. 

50k for a three bed 1 bath, 58k for a two story with a basement, 60k for a 4 bed, two bath home.

You get the idea. I do not know why people are working for nearly minimum wage in Vancouver paying most of it in rent for a shoebox to hang your hat in when you can earn minimum wage with a buddy and afford to live in any of these three places with space to grow your life. 

That is great if want to move and have no Doctor.  We have thought about New Brunswick when my wife  retires as I have a friend who lives here. But we I have health issues and a great doctor.  My friends son just bought 10 acres in Nova Scotia with a house on it.  I have been spoiled living in Vancouver Island and it's weather though.

5 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/canada-s-unemployment-rate-rises-to-6-1-per-cent-1.6834778

OTTAWA -

Canada's unemployment rate jumped to 6.1 per cent in March as more people looked for work and job growth stalled -- solidifying expectations of a June interest rate cut.

Statistics Canada's labour force survey on Friday shows the jobless rate is up from 5.8 per cent in February, marking the largest monthly increase in the unemployment rate since summer 2022.

Look at Trudeau's crappy record, employment numbers are down.  More people are unemployed.  With his interest rates too he sucks.

Look at Trudeau's crappy record, interest rates are going to have to be cut meaning inflation will come down due to the employment numbers.

Lol this is actually what's happening in Conservative circles

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Vancouver was unaffordable back in 2010.  This is not new

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Generation Z is a lost generation. They will never be able to afford a home in Vancouver. 

Once interest rates drop in June prices will climb even higher as a result of limited supply and higher demand. 

2025 could see a spike in prices of up to 20%. 

See above

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

We don't agree often but this is bang on.

Leaving Van is a no brainer. Make more money and pay less. Sign me up.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Look at Trudeau's crappy record, employment numbers are down.  More people are unemployed.  With his interest rates too he sucks.

Look at Trudeau's crappy record, interest rates are going to have to be cut meaning inflation will come down due to the employment numbers.

See above

Bolded, how was it unaffordable to what it is now? I remember looking back in 2013 in surrey/langley was high but not crazy. Rents weren't that crazy either. Not what they are now to compare them to 14 years ago

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I work with a few Singhs.

I love that they adopt that name, means something very cool. 

Except he practiced law under his real name, and changed it to Singh when he ran for leadership of the NDP, and planted himself in BC to run as an MP. Literally just took it to avoid being a Dhaliwal politician in BC, that much is obvious, but none the less, he is not that bad a guy. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

What a cheap shot. Reread my post. My margin on gasoline was less than that required to maintain the sale of fuel. It is the main reason I sold. The numbers did not work. You make a lot of assumptions about how profitable my business was to make political points. 

I will go read it again, not sure I missed anything, and I do apologize for assuming you were running a profitable business when you were not. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

See above

That’s not true. The average price of a detached home in East Vancouver in March 2010 was just over $700,000. You could easily buy a house in East Vancouver in 2010 if you had between $50-100k down payment and your income was $100k. 

Today that same house is close to $1.9 million. So you would need a $1.1 million downpayment with an annual income of over $200k to be able to purchase the exact same house.

And some people want me to believe that our purchasing power is better today than it was 20 years ago. Laughable if it wasn’t so sad. 

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

That is great if want to move and have no Doctor.  We have thought about New Brunswick when my wife  retires as I have a friend who lives here. But we I have health issues and a great doctor.  My friends son just bought 10 acres in Nova Scotia with a house on it.  I have been spoiled living in Vancouver Island and it's weather though.

To be fair though: you are making a weighed out personal decision to stay where your wife works and you happen to have a family Doctor. There are no guarantees she will have the same income if you move and find work, and no guarantees you won't need to go to a walk in clinic for three years while you wait to get on a list. Caveat to that is that there are a lot of Doctors in the places where people are leaving and going to Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto from, so the wait lists are likely very short, but I just don't know for sure. It is a weighted choice to stay though, and not a requirement. You have weighed your options and chose to stay in Vancouver where housing and other costs of living are through the roof.