Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Trying to explain our conservative convoy this and that movement and their own going show to a friend who lived in Europe 

He flipped a video back saying something like this ... Someone needs to do a parody using this lol 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Trying to explain our conservative convoy this and that movement and their own going show to a friend who lived in Europe 

He flipped a video back saying something like this ... Someone needs to do a parody using this lol 

This guy, and a few others, had me in stitches for many years.

I miss those "Goofy Greats" tunes.

4 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I know quite a few people in the dental field and I can tell you that the government dropped the ball on this pretty hard. Poor patient education (ie. it's not free) and they didn't present the clinics/dentists with proposals until only a few months ago. There are still many details to be sorted and the government expected them to accept their version of "trust me it will work"

I'm curious how far they can/want to push this tho. New programs in healthcare are always a pissing match, this is no different. Ultimately some middle ground will be found. 

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I'm curious how far they can/want to push this tho. New programs in healthcare are always a pissing match, this is no different. Ultimately some middle ground will be found. 

I just don't know how they'd pay for it...responsibly. Something has to get cut for it to actually be meaningful coverage.

5 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I just don't know how they'd pay for it...responsibly. Something has to get cut for it to actually be meaningful coverage.

I think the money actually comes from the savings in healthcare costs. When seniors don't get good care it can lead to far more serious problems that require a lot more resources.

9 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I think the money actually comes from the savings in healthcare costs. When seniors don't get good care it can lead to far more serious problems that require a lot more resources.

How long does that take though? Longer than most political terms in all likelihood, which is the true motivator unfortunately.

18 hours ago, Bob Long said:

The issue is suspect rests more with dentists then patients

If the government sets a standard fee per service it won't be long till insurance companies do the same. Additionally people who earn to much to qualify and don't have work insurance will start price shopping wanting to pay the same amount.

Both things cap profits which is what I suspect is really at play.

Same thing happened in the ,60s when public health care rolled out as well.

Dentistry s big cost without coverage. One of my kids works in a job that provides no dental coverage. 2 teeth chip and one can be fixed with a big filling the other will need a crown. His cost is $2200 or $580 to pull the 2 teeth.  Now I'm not going to let my kid be forced into loosing 2 molars in his 20's and nor will I let him go into credit debt 2 grand for health care ... So I eat that cost.  

For seniors though the big elephant in the room that no one in Ottawa is willing to talk about it benefits in retirement 

Prior to the 80's nearly 2/3 of all workers in Canada as adults worked for companies that had pension plans of some kind and many also had retired benefits 

In the 80's there was a real push to be more globally competitive ( lower wages and benefits to maximize profits so the owners can make the same here as foreign countries)

This has lead to large scale lowering of unionized work places and in the private sector few pensions and in both private and public there is NO full benefits in retirement... A few plans let you purchase basic coverage but it's pricy

Now fast forward and PP crying about all the seniors living in RV's in rest stops and living poor and how axing the carbon tax will pave the streets in gold 

We have been warned about the tidal wave of grey hitting and this is just the beginning ... It is going to keep exploding and getting worse 

In the last 10 years we have just begun to see the first of those workers retiring and they have zero pensions other than cpp and no benefits. This is the first generation this has happened since the 30/40's. By 2040 they predict only 1 in 10 will have any other work pension beside cpp in retirement 

This is shared blame between both parties 

Heck Harper also raised OAP to age 67 and if he hadn't been defeated had a private conservative bill near passing that would allow employers to retroactively lower your private pension if that employer or local government needs to cut costs ..

So we know this will get alot worse under conservatives and we haven't seen anything compared to the nightmare that's going to unfold in the next 20 years with millions of seniors who have gone an entire career with only paying into cpp and having zero medical or dental in retirement 

Dental and pharmacare are 2 things that are more of a crisis emergency need to help stave off and lessen this tidal wave coming out way ... And even if seniors paid zero taxes of any kind their cpp alone still has many in the same situation they are in now

The cost of record profits is record poverty in retirement for workers and Canada was warned about this for decades 

Still not a fan of Trudeau but unlike conservatives that only want to keep this going ... The liberals did increase cpp and beginning to roll out dental and universal pharmacare. Just bandaid solutions but at least it's something and a start.

Remember PP wants to go back in time ..... What he is not telling you is that time.is pre 1940 when seniors worked till they died or had to move in with their kids ....back to a time when the boss owned your soul 

In other news conservatives today remind people that eye diapers are tryanny and don't help protect you ... Spoiler alert though eye protection is needed to look at the eclipse... Much like most of conservative rehtoric don't buy it 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

47 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

How long does that take though? Longer than most political terms in all likelihood, which is the true motivator unfortunately.

not that long, but its more who's reporting what numbers. E.g., not going to the dentist isn't tracked by anyone, but when a senior shows up with an abscess and needs oral surgery, meds, follow up, etc. its an order of magnitude higher in cost to the province the person is in, vs the federal cost for regular checkups. Then there's the studies that show things like bad oral health linked to things like heart disease (https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/gum-disease-and-the-connection-to-heart-disease).

So its kind of a no-brainer to support financially. If dentists are going to buck it because the profit isn't there, the provinces should top the system up a bit given how much the program will save provincial health dollars. This report covers a lot of the issues (https://www.cdhowe.org/sites/default/files/2021-12/Final April 26 Commentary 510.pdf).

Whats interesting in the CD Howe report is they point out that dental fees are too high given the number of dentists we have here, so if the industry is inflating costs there's going to be a lot of resistance to providing more affordable care, to which I say, tough shit. People need the help. Maybe we need to start looking seriously at putting fee limits in on dental care in Canada. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Sapper said:

The issue is suspect rests more with dentists then patients

If the government sets a standard fee per service it won't be long till insurance companies do the same. Additionally people who earn to much to qualify and don't have work insurance will start price shopping wanting to pay the same amount.

Both things cap profits which is what I suspect is really at play.

Same thing happened in the ,60s when public health care rolled out as well.

Dentistry s big cost without coverage. One of my kids works in a job that provides no dental coverage. 2 teeth chip and one can be fixed with a big filling the other will need a crown. His cost is $2200 or $580 to pull the 2 teeth.  Now I'm not going to let my kid be forced into loosing 2 molars in his 20's and nor will I let him go into credit debt 2 grand for health care ... So I eat that cost.  

For seniors though the big elephant in the room that no one in Ottawa is willing to talk about it benefits in retirement 

Prior to the 80's nearly 2/3 of all workers in Canada as adults worked for companies that had pension plans of some kind and many also had retired benefits 

In the 80's there was a real push to be more globally competitive ( lower wages and benefits to maximize profits so the owners can make the same here as foreign countries)

This has lead to large scale lowering of unionized work places and in the private sector few pensions and in both private and public there is NO full benefits in retirement... A few plans let you purchase basic coverage but it's pricy

Now fast forward and PP crying about all the seniors living in RV's in rest stops and living poor and how axing the carbon tax will pave the streets in gold 

We have been warned about the tidal wave of grey hitting and this is just the beginning ... It is going to keep exploding and getting worse 

In the last 10 years we have just begun to see the first of those workers retiring and they have zero pensions other than cpp and no benefits. This is the first generation this has happened since the 30/40's. By 2040 they predict only 1 in 10 will have any other work pension beside cpp in retirement 

This is shared blame between both parties 

Heck Harper also raised OAP to age 67 and if he hadn't been defeated had a private conservative bill near passing that would allow employers to retroactively lower your private pension if that employer or local government needs to cut costs ..

So we know this will get alot worse under conservatives and we haven't seen anything compared to the nightmare that's going to unfold in the next 20 years with millions of seniors who have gone an entire career with only paying into cpp and having zero medical or dental in retirement 

Dental and pharmacare are 2 things that are more of a crisis emergency need to help stave off and lessen this tidal wave coming out way ... And even if seniors paid zero taxes of any kind their cpp alone still has many in the same situation they are in now

The cost of record profits is record poverty in retirement for workers and Canada was warned about this for decades 

Still not a fan of Trudeau but unlike conservatives that only want to keep this going ... The liberals did increase cpp and beginning to roll out dental and universal pharmacare. Just bandaid solutions but at least it's something and a start.

Remember PP wants to go back in time ..... What he is not telling you is that time.is pre 1940 when seniors worked till they died or had to move in with their kids ....back to a time when the boss owned your soul 

In other news conservatives today remind people that eye diapers are tryanny and don't help protect you ... Spoiler alert though eye protection is needed to look at the eclipse... Much like most of conservative rehtoric don't buy it 

I feel sorry for any senior in need who's fooled into voting for PP. 

But it's not unlike people in the US voting for Trump knowing they'd lose health coverage.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Upvote 1

Also to add 

The majority of the first wave retiring without work pensions do have their own homes and most are likely fully paid off

Those seniors are selling their homes and moving Into rentals so they can live off that money ( this is also squeezing the rental

Market ). In about 10.years we will start seeing the majority retiring without ever owning a home so no house equity to bank on

Stats Canada has been reporting that we passed critical mass a few years ago and stopped leaving our kids better off then what we had ... For the first time in our history.

This is decades In the making so can't be blamed solely on he current or former Harper government alone. It's been in this path since trudeau senior and Mulroney.

Seniors are having to live off their life's earnings and that lives little to no inheritance to pass on.  This in my view is the 2 biggest issues bringing havoc to our economy....... Poverty in retirement due to no work pensions or benefits and the next generation not getting the same level of nest egg passed on to start their lives 

Now it's not universal as some families are maintaining this and some are leaving even more as we have record numbers of millionaire and billionaires 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

not that long, but its more who's reporting what numbers. E.g., not going to the dentist isn't tracked by anyone, but when a senior shows up with an abscess and needs oral surgery, meds, follow up, etc. its an order of magnitude higher in cost to the province the person is in, vs the federal cost for regular checkups. Then there's the studies that show things like bad oral health linked to things like heart disease (https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/gum-disease-and-the-connection-to-heart-disease).

So its kind of a no-brainer to support financially. If dentists are going to buck it because the profit isn't there, the provinces should top the system up a bit given how much the program will save provincial health dollars. This report covers a lot of the issues (https://www.cdhowe.org/sites/default/files/2021-12/Final April 26 Commentary 510.pdf).

Whats interesting in the CD Howe report is they point out that dental fees are too high given the number of dentists we have here, so if the industry is inflating costs there's going to be a lot of resistance to providing more affordable care, to which I say, tough shit. People need the help. Maybe we need to start looking seriously at putting fee limits in on dental care in Canada. 

If the funding is truly there then I'm all for it. I just think it will be a tough sell to the fiscal conservatives in government and the populace. Many people are unaware of the relationship between oral health and overall health, so maybe that's the angle. I think it dies with a new conservative government though.

My earlier point is only that the dentists shouldn't be put in a position where they lose money (indirectly through extra back end work or directly through billing) treating those patients that qualify. The dentists should have been consulted over a year ago to actually get the program to the point of feasibility, because it's not there as it stands today.

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

If the funding is truly there then I'm all for it. I just think it will be a tough sell to the fiscal conservatives in government and the populace. Many people are unaware of the relationship between oral health and overall health, so maybe that's the angle. I think it dies with a new conservative government though.

prevention is always a hard sell, in any industry. We're dumb as a species that way. 

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

My earlier point is only that the dentists shouldn't be put in a position where they lose money (indirectly through extra back end work or directly through billing) treating those patients that qualify. The dentists should have been consulted over a year ago to actually get the program to the point of feasibility, because it's not there as it stands today.

well, thats an interesting question. There are rules in Canada for all of the self-regulated professions like in medicine and engineering, and there are even things like cost guidelines in other areas. IF the dentists are just propping up a fat market, then no amount of consultation would matter, it'll be a hard no from many of them and they'd love to delay something like that in discussions that drag on forever. 

Sometimes you have to force things for the greater good, this might be one of them. But like I said, lets have the provinces top things up a little but, let the dentists come down a little bit, and then we should be fine. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

prevention is always a hard sell, in any industry. We're dumb as a species that way. 

well, thats an interesting question. There are rules in Canada for all of the self-regulated professions like in medicine and engineering, and there are even things like cost guidelines in other areas. IF the dentists are just propping up a fat market, then no amount of consultation would matter, it'll be a hard no from many of them and they'd love to delay something like that in discussions that drag on forever. 

Sometimes you have to force things for the greater good, this might be one of them. But like I said, lets have the provinces top things up a little but, let the dentists come down a little bit, and then we should be fine. 

Seems reasonable. I know the dentists have a fee guide that their regulators release every year. I believe the majority of clinics adhere to it pretty closely. I think some in Vancouver may go above the fee guide but the vast majority follow it to the tee from my understanding.

• ThereItIs 1

What to expect from the spring housing market

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/what-to-expect-from-the-spring-housing-market-1.6837463

After five straight holds of the Bank of Canada's key interest rate that followed its hiking cycle of more than a year, economists say a rebound awaits the national housing market — but don't expect a big surge just yet.

The central bank is expected to again hold its key rate steady when it announces its decision Wednesday, but it's unclear what direction it will take next.

Lots of talk about BCers moving to Alberta lately....

It's nice to see that the Alberta Liquor branch has come up with a way for them to cope with the lack of culture once they arrive:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/i-have-a-problem-with-all-of-it-service-alberta-minister-sets-sights-on-jumbo-jugs-of-vodka/ar-BB1lhNSy?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=491a4f3904964bf6a94259ebfdbb76ed&ei=24

image.thumb.jpeg.06b592ea8d5dd94efac88a7851cd31cf.jpeg

Alberta’s Service Alberta minister says he’d be willing to exercise authority contained in a new government bill to address what he described as the concerning sale of vodka in four-litre containers that the distiller says it has since dropped from production.

The jugs resemble those used for milk or water and contain vodka at 40 per cent alcohol by volume and were photographed at a south Edmonton liquor store last weekend by Edmonton Journal reporter Lauren Boothby .

They list the bottler of the liquor as T-Rex Distillery out of St. Albert and were pictured as being for sale at $49.95 each excluding tax and deposit.

Speaking to reporters Monday, Service Alberta Minister Dale Nally said he just learned the jugs were being sold in the province.

“We can all agree that when we see a four-litre plastic jug of vodka, that’s not very responsible,” he said.

“I don’t think a four-litre plastic jug of vodka adds to the quality of the distillery industry that we have in this province,” he said.

“I don’t think that it is responsible pricing to price it like that.”

He added that while the jugs are in compliance with current regulations, that didn’t make them acceptable, in his view.

“What is not in compliance with this is the spirit of Albertans which is what we believe is responsible pricing,” he said.

“I have a problem with all of it.”

Bonus: They make perfect piss jugs once they're empty....:classic_cool: 🤠

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Lots of talk about BCers moving to Alberta lately....

It's nice to see that the Alberta Liquor branch has come up with a way for them to cope with the lack of culture once they arrive:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/i-have-a-problem-with-all-of-it-service-alberta-minister-sets-sights-on-jumbo-jugs-of-vodka/ar-BB1lhNSy?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=491a4f3904964bf6a94259ebfdbb76ed&ei=24

image.thumb.jpeg.06b592ea8d5dd94efac88a7851cd31cf.jpeg

Bonus: They make perfect piss jugs once they're empty....:classic_cool: 🤠

I wish we had that honestly. Don't need good vodka in caesars 😄 

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

We were never locked down but that is besides the point.

Forgive me for being a grammar policeman but according to the dictionary we were in lockdown.   We just didn't have one as harsh as China's.  

Edited by Satchmo

27 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Forgive me for being a grammar policeman but according to the dictionary we were in lockdown.   We just didn't have one as as harsh as China's.  

I was able to leave my house...go to the grocery store...beer store...get take out food.  Talk to a doctor...my wife had to go to work.  I don't consider that a lockdown.  

But that's me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I was able to leave my house...go to the grocery store...beer store...get take out food.  Talk to a doctor...my wife had to go to work.  I don't consider that a lockdown.  

But that's me.

Ummm how many small businesses were forced shut while big corporations like Walmart got to reap the benefits?

Glad you aren't in charge of definitions in the dictionary because that sounds pretty locked down to me

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1