Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

19 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Ummm how many small businesses were forced shut while big corporations like Walmart got to reap the benefits?

Glad you aren't in charge of definitions in the dictionary because that sounds pretty locked down to me

What has that got to do with being locked down?  How much  business did Walmart get from restaurants only being able to do take out?

I am glad you are not in charge of anything.

24 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Ummm how many small businesses were forced shut while big corporations like Walmart got to reap the benefits?

Glad you aren't in charge of definitions in the dictionary because that sounds pretty locked down to me

I hope we don't get into another extended Covid restrictions debate here...

I just spoke out as a word nerd.  Couldn't help myself.

5 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

What has that got to do with being locked down?  How much  business did Walmart get from restaurants only being able to do take out?

I am glad you are not in charge of anything.

Well considering small businesses were literally locked down and not allowed to open, I'd say it has a fair bit to do with it.

Also Walmart definitely did reap the benefits 

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN25E1D6/

Walmart beats on profit, posts record online sales on pandemic boost

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Forgive me for being a grammar policeman but according to the dictionary we were in lockdown.   We just didn't have one as harsh as China's.  

We were not in a “lockdown”. You are wrong. We had restrictions to help control the spread of COVID. 

• Wiener 1

Just now, Alflives said:

We were not in a “lockdown”. You are wrong. We had restrictions to help control the spread of COVID. 

Get thee to a dictionary Alf.

I won't pursue this any longer as it looks like people have their own view of the meaning of the word (despite what the dictionary/Wikipedia/academia says.)  

BTW - I fully supported the restrictions.  I'm just talking about what the word lockdown means.   

7 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Get thee to a dictionary Alf.

I won't pursue this any longer as it looks like people have their own view of the meaning of the word (despite what the dictionary/Wikipedia/academia says.)  

BTW - I fully supported the restrictions.  I'm just talking about what the word lockdown means.   

Nope. We were not locked down. People in parts of China were locked down, as they had to stay in the homes. We moved about freely. Our government did a wonderful job alleviating the effects of Covid. That goodness poo poo and his group of morans want in power. It would have been a complete disaster, like in much of the States. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Nope. We were not locked down. People in parts of China were locked down, as they had to stay in the homes. We moved about freely. Our government did a wonderful job alleviating the effects of Covid. That goodness poo poo and his group of morans want in power. It would have been a complete disaster, like in much of the States. 

Ok.  Call me a bustaroo moran for falling for fake news.

Dictionary

Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

lock·down

/ˈläkˌdoun/

noun

a state or period in which movement within or access to an area is restricted in the interests of public safety or health.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_lockdowns

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Dictionary

lock·down

/ˈläkˌdoun/

noun

a state or period in which movement within or access to an area is restricted in the interests of public safety or health.

you guys are both right. Yes there was some restrictions but not jail like. Yes some people define that as "lock down". Now shake hands and move on. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

My friend had to close his restaurant. And eventually he declared bankruptcy. He’s never been the same. His life was ruined. But nobody cares about him. He was just a “casualty” of the government lockdowns. Not even a mask or a vaccine could save him.  He’s just a statistic now. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Dictionary

lock·down

/ˈläkˌdoun/

noun

We didn’t have lockdowns. We had a proactive government who made adjustments to keep people safe. No one was locked in their house. 
The Liberals and Provincial governments across Canada did a really good job during Covid. Doctor Bonnie was brilliant. 
Poo Poo is attempting to politicize the Covid time. And that makes him a moran. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My friend had to close his restaurant. And eventually he declared bankruptcy. He’s never been the same. His life was ruined. But nobody cares about him. He was just a “casualty” of the government lockdowns. Not even a mask or a vaccine could save him.  He’s just a statistic now. 

So you would have had no masks and Covid spreading?  Seems you always have a "friend" who's life was ruined by the Liberals or the NDP.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

So you would have had no masks and Covid spreading?  Seems you always have a "friend" who's life was ruined by the Liberals or the NDP.

What about the restaurant that closed this morning? 

16 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Amazing how the anti-vax crowd always know a guy, for every bullshit point they make.....:classic_rolleyes:

• ThereItIs 1

47 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Dictionary

lock·down

/ˈläkˌdoun/

noun

Keep it up, Satch....

Before you know it, Alf is going to start up a "Defund the Grammar Police" movement....:classic_dry:

image.thumb.jpeg.98b1dd5bee9ceb0e01940bf45dc32382.jpeg

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow- he's your friend, and you don't care about him?

tumblr_mowc69KUfT1rwtl3wo1_400.gif&ehk=K

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Its crazy that this 'once in a lifetime' event took place, some of the things that happened (that had legit consequences) were wrong, yet we've completely moved along & forgotten as if this never happened.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its crazy that this 'once in a lifetime' event took place, some of the things that happened (that had legit consequences) were wrong, yet we've completely moved along & forgotten as if this never happened.

The last page or two of this thread is proof that people have neither forgotten nor moved on.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Lots of people’s lives were ruined by the lockdowns. But like I said nobody cares, just like you. They are all just a statistic now.