Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think so, yes. 

If you say so....

My experience has been mostly "confused face" and before that "paper bag".....To be fair though, I generally just disregard people who resort to that sort of lame response. Maybe there were some insightful responses that I missed.

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

well, thats how many felt when people decided to do things like not wear masks. The right wing decided to follow Trump and politicize covid, and many Canadians followed suit. 

but you are joining in, you know that emoji is designed to make a statement and its also used very often in poor taste.

I don't care if his story is true or not, its more the attempt to try to gain sympathy for a certain side of the political spectrum with a false narrative. If the Trudeau government didn't care about businesses, they never would have tried to bring in programs to help them in the first place. 

and its not really about politics per se @Master Mind.  If someone chooses to support "freedom" and not government programs, I wouldn't have a lot of sympathy for them if they lost their business due to covid, as they did nothing to try to help. Before I can decide if I care about Petey's friend or not, I'd like to know that info about him.

As someone supportive of social programs, I'd rather that these benefits go to people who need them regardless of their political alignment. Yes, there's a hypocrisy in taking government money after voting against and being against such 'handouts', but I personally don't want people to struggle unnecessarily just on the basis of their political leanings. Hell, it might even make people more sympathetic to those who are on fixed incomes or in receipt of certain benefits when they themselves have gone through a difficult point in their life.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 112 said:

As someone supportive of social programs, I'd rather that these benefits go to people who need them regardless of their political alignment. Yes, there's a hypocrisy in taking government money after voting against and being against such 'handouts', but I personally don't want people to struggle unnecessarily just on the basis of their political leanings. Hell, it might even make people more sympathetic to those who are on fixed incomes or in receipt of certain benefits when they themselves have gone through a difficult point in their life.

Oh I agree, the programs should be politically neutral and accessed as needed.

But we were discussing sympathy, and I have none of that left for the anti-mask/anit-vax/anti-lockdown folks. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

but you are joining in, you know that emoji is designed to make a statement and its also used very often in poor taste.

I like MM,  when he talks, but he does position himself as the conversation referee. His drive by baggings and now confusy faces have been a go to for years. As you point out, by doing that he is joining in...passing judgment...blowing his proverbial whistle, throwing a flag on the play.

EP is a smart poster that has gotten his knickers in a twist these days. Maybe because he has been called out on some of his anecdotal reasons as proof that he is correct.

I have no problem that he tells his tales of many friends in every situation. Being that I lived 20+ years in the DT Van core with many different jobs, I also have a wide group of experiences and friends. I like hearing personal stories. However what I do take issue with is statements he makes dissing everyone in these threads, he will say things like ' thank god anyone with an IQ over 50', see Canadian politics the way he does ...suggesting those that post on here are unintelligent. He'll also use all the right wing slags like 'Castro jr' while claiming hes is a centrist. Most of his predictions are garbage too, I pointed out the other day that I am glad I didn't listen to him about real estate. That said, I think his prediction of PP getting in is looking strong.

Anyway, It wouldnt hurt if MM called that crap out now and again too, but i suppose he would respond with ...i dont need to, many posters already have.

I just think that is biased reffing. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, 112 said:

You really are the voice of reason. My respect level for you just went up several notches.  Cheers. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Folks, please don’t @ anyone just in order to drag them into a thread that they’re not participating in currently. 

Please. 

Understood but that was kinda part of the point.

Emojis are part of the modern communication method. 

IMO, they are participating when they do drive-by equivalents of down votes or emojis of disapproval, if you will. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You really are the voice of reason. 

Not that you and I talk anymore but I totally agree.

@112 love that you are contributing more these days. You seem like a real balanced person with a good head on your shoulders. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For those who are supporters of Pierre Pollievre, you are in agreement with a well-known American radio personality.....

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/michael-taube-does-it-matter-that-alex-jones-endorsed-pierre-poilievre-not-in-the-slightest

Of course the National Post frames it as much ado about nothing, there must be something about PP that makes him what Canada (and the world) "desperately need", in his opinion.....

1 hour ago, 112 said:

I believe most of us think that way.  Politics has no place in helping people in need.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

For those who are supporters of Pierre Pollievre, you are in agreement with a well-known American radio personality.....

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/michael-taube-does-it-matter-that-alex-jones-endorsed-pierre-poilievre-not-in-the-slightest

Of course the National Post frames it as much ado about nothing, there must be something about PP that makes him what Canada (and the world) "desperately need", in his opinion.....

But but but the media is controlled by the left PP says.....

58 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Understood but that was kinda part of the point.

Emojis are part of the modern communication method. 

IMO, they are participating when they do drive-by equivalents of down votes or emojis of disapproval, if you will. 

I understand. 

However, if and when I can head off possible problems between Members, I will. 

If I can’t, then I’ll Moderate and refer to my ‘friendly’ in thread warnings. 

Those who continue down a path that they have been recommended not to, will not have any sympathy from me. 

As I have stated copiously in the past, based on my Vice Principal’s advice, “Don’t Say You Haven’t Been Warned”. - Mr. Cook. 

• Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I understand. 

However, if and when I can head off possible problems between Members, I will. 

If I can’t, then I’ll Moderate and refer to my ‘friendly’ in thread warnings. 

Those who continue down a path that they have been recommended not to, will not have any sympathy from me. 

As I have stated copiously in the past, based on my Vice Principal’s advice, “Don’t Say You Haven’t Been Warned”. - Mr. Cook. 

My vice principle told me " Don't get too drunk on grad night and do something stupid" - I took his advice about the stupid part.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Folks, please don’t @ anyone just in order to drag them into a thread that they’re not participating in currently. 

Please. 

I did it with the intent of promoting better discussion , but noted.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I like MM,  when he talks, but he does position himself as the conversation referee. His drive by baggings and now confusy faces have been a go to for years. As you point out, by doing that he is joining in...passing judgment...blowing his proverbial whistle, throwing a flag on the play.

EP is a smart poster that has gotten his knickers in a twist these days. Maybe because he has been called out on some of his anecdotal reasons as proof that he is correct.

I have no problem that he tells his tales of many friends in every situation. Being that I lived 20+ years in the DT Van core with many different jobs, I also have a wide group of experiences and friends. I like hearing personal stories. However what I do take issue with is statements he makes dissing everyone in these threads, he will say things like ' thank god anyone with an IQ over 50', see Canadian politics the way he does ...suggesting those that post on here are unintelligent. He'll also use all the right wing slags like 'Castro jr' while claiming hes is a centrist. Most of his predictions are garbage too, I pointed out the other day that I am glad I didn't listen to him about real estate. That said, I think his prediction of PP getting in is looking strong.

Anyway, It wouldnt hurt if MM called that crap out now and again too, but i suppose he would respond with ...i dont need to, many posters already have.

I just think that is biased reffing. 

I'm starting to think PP has outsm... Picked the wrong strategy. 

His "this shall be a carbon tax election" proclamation has a good chance of backfiring. Most people want to act on the environment, Trudeau isn't bending (just like with provincial healthcare funding, which Trudeau won), and the facts are on Trudeau's side. 

PP is a chicken little. The election interference inquiry is turning out to be the nothing burger many predicted. I wonder how many people even know it's currently underway?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I'm starting to think PP has outsm... Picked the wrong strategy. 

His "this shall be a carbon tax election" proclamation has a good chance of backfiring. Most people want to act on the environment, Trudeau isn't bending (just like with provincial healthcare funding, which Trudeau won), and the facts are on Trudeau's side. 

PP is a chicken little. The election interference inquiry is turning out to be the nothing burger many predicted. I wonder how many people even know it's currently underway?

It's getting a bit interesting.

As ,arnt his numbers down? 

I hope people are getting tired of the chicken little mentality. It's everywhere these days, not just politics. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Gurn said:

People are aware that restaurants are horribly unsuccessful, in general, right?

As my BFF, a cook for 40 years, and chef for 25 plus says-- 90% of restaurants die in their first year- and 90% of the survivors are dead by the end of year 2.

BFF means bastard french friend right? So many rude frenchies in that industry...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

BFF means bastard french friend right? So many rude frenchies in that industry...

They use so much butter and creme ingredients, they get clogged arteries, then get pissy when they run out of breath.?

6 hours ago, Gurn said:

People are aware that restaurants are horribly unsuccessful, in general, right?

As my BFF, a cook for 40 years, and chef for 25 plus says-- 90% of restaurants die in their first year- and 90% of the survivors are dead by the end of year 2.

Small margins for the most part with a large initial set up cost and expectation to carry it for 2 years to be successful. A buddy's pub was doing fairly well pre covid, shut for covid and then came back doing absolutely stellar NYC style pizza and is absolutely killing it now. 

If ever in Whistler def check out The HandleBar 😄 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

They use so much butter and creme ingredients, they get clogged arteries, then get pissy when they run out of breath.?

I thought it was the jonesing for drugs and alcohol...   but yes that too. And being short....ok maybe that is just here cuz they were all aspiring snowboarders 😉 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It's getting a bit interesting.

As ,arnt his numbers down? 

I hope people are getting tired of the chicken little mentality. It's everywhere these days, not just politics. 

All those hair on fire moments that end in nothing burgers might add up for people.

Plus he's snarky, and that wears off for a leader quickly.

• Cheers 1

Canada to allow 30-year amortization for first-time buyers' mortgages on new homes

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-to-allow-30-year-amortization-for-first-time-buyers-mortgages-on-new-homes-1.6842913

The Canadian government will allow 30-year amortization periods on insured mortgages for first-time homebuyers purchasing newly built homes

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland made the announcement in Toronto today, saying it would take effect Aug. 1.

The Canadian Home Builders' Association has advocated for longer amortization periods, saying five more years would help with affordability and spur more construction.

Freeland also said the government will nearly double -- to $60,000 -- the amount first-time homebuyers can withdraw from RRSPs to buy a home.

That's up from $35,000, to take effect April 16, the day the federal budget is set to be released.

People who make such withdrawals between Jan. 1, 2022, and Dec. 31, 2025, are also getting more time to begin repayment -- up to five years in total rather than two.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Canada to allow 30-year amortization for first-time buyers' mortgages on new homes

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-to-allow-30-year-amortization-for-first-time-buyers-mortgages-on-new-homes-1.6842913

The Canadian government will allow 30-year amortization periods on insured mortgages for first-time homebuyers purchasing newly built homes

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland made the announcement in Toronto today, saying it would take effect Aug. 1.

The Canadian Home Builders' Association has advocated for longer amortization periods, saying five more years would help with affordability and spur more construction.

Freeland also said the government will nearly double -- to $60,000 -- the amount first-time homebuyers can withdraw from RRSPs to buy a home.

That's up from $35,000, to take effect April 16, the day the federal budget is set to be released.

People who make such withdrawals between Jan. 1, 2022, and Dec. 31, 2025, are also getting more time to begin repayment -- up to five years in total rather than two.

So will first time buyers be allowed to do this in 5% down payments?

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I still have issue with this

What first time buyer has that much in RRSP's or can afford a brand new build houses mortgage payments at all ?

He'll who as a first time home.buyer jumps in for their first with a brand new house ?

We actually have a solution but governments lack the balls to actually do it as it takes the profit from developers who financially back both sides 

If I could be the housing minister for one day I'd pass a law that every community needs to provide freehold land designated as modular housing land. The land could not be sold as builders terms. Just legislate that the modular home needs to be either new or restored as new on placement 

Families and seniors could then purchase small lots around 250k and for another 200 to 250k have a new modular set up ..... In some areas of Canada the land might only be 10k

This would give people affordable housing that is fully mortgage qualifying and no strata fees....

Edited by Sapper
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Yikes!!!!

Long ass time.