Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 minutes ago, 112 said:

some of this is encouraging, but they need to slow down immigration as well if they're trying to alleviate the housing crisis

Thing is, the reasons for spurring immigration are complicated, there are pros and cons to slowing things down 

Finding a perfect solution is hard, bottom line is the country needs people who are willing to work jobs and fill roles 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its a tough one, we can't continue to raise our GDP without it, but can't afford to overdo it either. Not sure there is a perfect number. 

Not just that, but immigration is also what will presumably help offset some of the gaps opened up by retirees, like many other countries, Canada's population is aging and birth rates have dwindled 

It's not just about the GDP, although that's definitely a factor, it's about having the people in place to keep a lot of things running 

You need folks in agriculture, folks willing to work in the caring roles a lot of folks don't want to do, and so on 

The haranguing about illegal immigrants and immigration in the US is endless too, but there's no denying that a lot of the jobs the average American doesn't want to do are done by illegal or legal immigrants, I imagine the same is true in Canada to an extent 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Thing is, the reasons for spurring immigration are complicated, there are pros and cons to slowing things down 

Finding a perfect solution is hard, bottom line is the country needs people who are willing to work jobs and fill roles 

Not just that, but immigration is also what will presumably help offset some of the gaps opened up by retirees, like many other countries, Canada's population is aging and birth rates have dwindled 

It's not just about the GDP, although that's definitely a factor, it's about having the people in place to keep a lot of things running 

You need folks in agriculture, folks willing to work in the caring roles a lot of folks don't want to do, and so on 

The haranguing about illegal immigrants and immigration in the US is endless too, but there's no denying that a lot of the jobs the average American doesn't want to do are done by illegal or legal immigrants, I imagine the same is true in Canada to an extent 

yep, exactly. Look at nursing e.g., and the impact of Philippines immigration in Canada, we'd be screwed if those folks chose somewhere else. Many examples like this. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

yep, exactly. Look at nursing e.g., and the impact of Philippines immigration in Canada, we'd be screwed if those folks chose somewhere else. Many examples like this. 

Definitely. A very recent example of this would be those who lost their lives when the bridge in Baltimore collapsed, all of them were immigrants. 

Hispanic workers are more likely than other racial and ethnic groups to die on the job, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, with construction being a particularly deadly industry.

Government and industry figures show that Hispanics are over-represented in high-risk jobs: 51% of construction workers, 34% of slaughterhouse workers and 61% of landscaping workers.

Bottom line is that immigration is very important for Canada, and I'm just as frustrated about the housing scenario as anyone. But I also live in what's seemingly a very popular destination for those immigrating to Canada nowadays and I regularly see firsthand how they're working jobs others may not want, often service, retail, and food jobs. But not even exclusively that, my partner's pharmacist immigrated from Africa with one of her coworkers. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/baltimore-bridge-disaster-immigrants-died-doing-job-others-do-not-want-do-2024-03-28/

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

i've always been mostly pro-immigration but would rather have more skilled immigrants than the TFWs we get at McDonald's or Tim's. there's also the problem of diploma mills inviting students into the country--pure scams that dilute the value of immigrants we receive. i agree that agriculture and home care/hospice work is important and that we rely--not lightly--on immigration to keep such enterprises going. but there are a lot of people from the outside coming to canada and working jobs that anyone can do, for which employers wouldn't have any difficulty finding a citizen to do. why does 7/11 need to run on LMIAs? and there's no shortage of people who want to come to canada; why are we taking in so many people to run a cash register when some of them are doctors or engineers? people have to live somewhere, and when it took 9 months for canada to go from 40 million people to 41 million people, homes are being filled up faster than any government or contractor can produce them. this is happening when we have thousands of people living on the streets.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 112 said:

i've always been mostly pro-immigration but would rather have more skilled immigrants than the TFWs we get at McDonald's or Tim's. there's also the problem of diploma mills inviting students into the country--pure scams that dilute the value of immigrants we receive. i agree that agriculture and home care/hospice work is important and that we rely--not lightly--on immigration to keep such enterprises going. but there are a lot of people from the outside coming to canada and working jobs that anyone can do, for which employers wouldn't have any difficulty finding a citizen to do. why does 7/11 need to run on LMIAs? and there's no shortage of people who want to come to canada; why are we taking in so many people to run a cash register when some of them are doctors or engineers? people have to live somewhere, and when it took 9 months for canada to go from 40 million people to 41 million people, homes are being filled up faster than any government or contractor can produce them. this is happening when we have thousands of people living on the streets.

Even that's complicated, because a lot of folks who work what folks consider to be common or lesser jobs are skilled immigrants, but it doesn't matter when their education isn't recognized. There are a lot of taxi drivers out there who went to college or university for example.

I worked with a Syrian refugee when I spent time at a bottle depot for example, he'd been some sort of med tech back in Syria but couldn't do that sort of work here. One of my partner's coworkers from India (both working at service BC) was also some sort of med tech and ran into the same issue. 

A key issue is how education is recognized, and why or why it isn't. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Even that's complicated, because a lot of folks who work what folks consider to be common or lesser jobs do are skilled immigrants, but it doesn't matter when their education isn't recognized. There are a lot of taxi drivers out there who went to college or university for example.

I worked with a Syrian refugee when I spent time at a bottle depot for example, he'd been some sort of med tech back in Syria but couldn't do that sort of work here. One of my partner's coworkers from India (both working at service BC) was also some sort of med tech and ran into the same issue. 

A key issue is how education is recognized, and why or why it isn't. 

for sure - i've heard of people with very advanced degrees in engineering/medicine not being recognized here and therefore unable to practice. but then the question arises: if, for whatever reason, the systems in canada do not recognize this education, are the immigrants still considered skilled? personally i trust that these degrees aren't being recognized here for legitimate reasons, even if those reasons come down to caution and a lack of information on the programs than anything else.

my current and previous doctor are immigrants, so there are some recognized programs out there. is there no vetting process around qualifications before people are let into the country? when we let someone into the country with a decent education that's not recognized here, we're essentially letting them into the country to do small jobs that present citizens can do.

10 minutes ago, 112 said:

for sure - i've heard of people with very advanced degrees in engineering/medicine not being recognized here and therefore unable to practice. but then the question arises: if, for whatever reason, the systems in canada do not recognize this education, are the immigrants still considered skilled? personally i trust that these degrees aren't being recognized here for legitimate reasons, even if those reasons come down to caution and a lack of information on the programs than anything else.

my current and previous doctor are immigrants, so there are some recognized programs out there. is there no vetting process around qualifications before people are let into the country? when we let someone into the country with a decent education that's not recognized here, we're essentially letting them into the country to do small jobs that present citizens can do.

And that's fine, but I still question the educational vetting process and the infrastructure associated with it 

And that's a good question, I'd be curious to see inside information on that regarding the logistics and processing 

There are programs and degrees out there that are recognized, and not accepting everything willy nilly is wise, but it does seem that folks falling through the cracks ain't uncommon 

• MillerTime 1

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

around 5% of Canadians have indigenous heritage: 95% of us are or were born to Immigrants and their families. 
I don't get the anti immigration crowd at all. It is like saying "i got mine suckers, now stay the hell out"...but if anyone said that to your forebears you wouldn't be here either. 
It is an argument put forth by well-meaning people who pick it up from racists. The 'immigration is too high' argument wouldn't exist if the same numbers of immigrants were all christian Europeans, at least it would not be so front and center. I am thinking back to the last Conservative government saying things like "good Canadian stock' in reference to Canadians of Scottish and English decent. Oh and remember the "barbaric cultural practices hotline"? Hehehe... too much immigrants, 'barbaric practices hotline' and 'good Canadian Stock are all just code for 'no brownies'. 

Not everyone pushing the narrative is racist, there are certainly a lot of good folks here saying things like it without realizing they are hearing racist talking points and parroting them. 

I know my opinions don't sit well with everyone, but this is the learned opinion I have concluded and modified over the years as new data presents itself. 

We simply need more 'staff' and 'good canadian stock' doesn't want to be my sandwich technician. 

Agreed on all counts, most of us are the children of immigrants. I'm a fourth generation Canadian, my nana's parents arrived from Ukraine and as far as I call tell my papa's family belonged to a group of Germans who'd settled in Russia. The only folks who have actual ancestral claim are the Indigenous Peoples who reside in what we now call Canada, as you've said. 

But yeah, the coding isn't lost on me either, nor is the fact that people of colour are often the ones jumping on the jobs folks don't want. 

You can't simultaneously complain about "folks not wanting to work anymore" and then fuss when the person pouring your coffee has tan skin. You can't reasonably shit on people for working jobs (service, retail, food industry, ect) and still expect the services they're providing by working those jobs. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

Is anyone familiar with leasehold properties? More specifically, does anyone have practical experience they can share?

My retirement plan currently consists of a few bags of empties and some old hockey cards...

What information are you looking for specifically?  Are you referring to detached properties or strata condos? Is it a City of Vancouver leasehold or is it First Nations land? 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What information are you looking for specifically?  Are you referring to detached properties or strata condos? Is it a City of Vancouver leasehold or is it First Nations land? 

There is a rumour going around that the CRA will have to verify incomes to get a mortgage.  Have you heard anything about that?

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

There is a rumour going around that the CRA will have to verify incomes to get a mortgage.  Have you heard anything about that?

No I haven’t heard that. Your bank and mortgage broker are responsible for that. I don’t see how CRA could get involved. The banks are the ones responsible to appraise the property, find its value and then lend based on that value. I don’t see any reason CRA would need to be involved. 

Having said that, CMHC mortgages are technically insured by the government as CMHC is a crown corporation. So if a buyer defaults on their mortgage the bank is covered through CMHC default insurance which is covered through government funds. So maybe there is something brewing for CMHC insured mortgages whereby the CRA is taking a more proactive approach on auditing files. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed on all counts, most of us are the children of immigrants. I'm a fourth generation Canadian, my nana's parents arrived from Ukraine and as far as I call tell my papa's family belonged to a group of Germans who'd settled in Russia. The only folks who have actual ancestral claim are the Indigenous Peoples who reside in what we now call Canada, as you've said. 

But yeah, the coding isn't lost on me either, nor is the fact that people of colour are often the ones jumping on the jobs folks don't want. 

You can't simultaneously complain about "folks not wanting to work anymore" and then fuss when the person pouring your coffee has tan skin. You can't reasonably shit on people for working jobs (service, retail, food industry, ect) and still expect the services they're providing by working those jobs. 

Probably not popular on here but I don't agree with Indigenous rights or status that creates another level of government within Canada. A citizenship that gives different rights than others. That said I do believe in proper land settlement treaties. I have no problem with ownership participation by bands in infrastructure projects like TSM. All within context of proper treaties. Bands having revenue streams outside the federal government is desirable. Ultimately Indian Affairs has to end and Indigenous people incorporated into the Canadian mosaic. 

My ancestors were Germans from Russia/Germany, England and Scotland. They were all dirt poor and to my knowledge did not represent colonial interests. They were all farmers who were basically starving to death back in the old country. What they accomplished is a testament to their hard work and sacrifice. My great grand father was a orphan from England who had his passage paid for by the Morman Church. He was penniless but was young and strong. 

44 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

My Grandmother on my Dad's side came from Sweden ....and my Great Grandfather on my Dad's side came from Norway.  Fun fact when my Great Grandfather came over there were too many Hansen's living here so he changed the family name.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Oh, I was wondering if anyone had actual experience developing a leasehold; primarily rural acreage. I can google all the googly stuff easily enough.

Ultimately the 'plan' will be to (preferably) purchase or lease undeveloped acreage somewhere in the interior or north of BC, build a cabin, be relatively self sustained and largely off grid. Working on a 5 to 7 year timeframe.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No I haven’t heard that. Your bank and mortgage broker are responsible for that. I don’t see how CRA could get involved. The banks are the ones responsible to appraise the property, find its value and then lend based on that value. I don’t see any reason CRA would need to be involved. 

Having said that, CMHC mortgages are technically insured by the government as CMHC is a crown corporation. So if a buyer defaults on their mortgage the bank is covered through CMHC default insurance which is covered through government funds. So maybe there is something brewing for CMHC insured mortgages whereby the CRA is taking a more proactive approach on auditing files. 

Reading it again they plan to consult

GK-em7SWYAENsTB.jpg

6 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Oh, I was wondering if anyone had actual experience developing a leasehold; primarily rural acreage. I can google all the googly stuff easily enough.

Ultimately the 'plan' will be to (preferably) purchase or lease undeveloped acreage somewhere in the interior or north of BC, build a cabin, be relatively self sustained and largely off grid. Working on a 5 to 7 year timeframe.

That’s my dream, but closer to the Lower Mainland. 

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Probably not popular on here but I don't agree with Indigenous rights or status that creates another level of government within Canada. A citizenship that gives different rights than others. That said I do believe in proper land settlement treaties. I have no problem with ownership participation by bands in infrastructure projects like TSM. All within context of proper treaties. Bands having revenue streams outside the federal government is desirable. Ultimately Indian Affairs has to end and Indigenous people incorporated into the Canadian mosaic. 

My ancestors were Germans from Russia/Germany, England and Scotland. They were all dirt poor and to my knowledge did not represent colonial interests. They were all farmers who were basically starving to death back in the old country. What they accomplished is a testament to their hard work and sacrifice. My great grand father was a orphan from England who had his passage paid for by the Morman Church. He was penniless but was young and strong. 

It may not a popular opinion, no. But we don't have to agree on everything. I'd argue that Canada's Indigenous Peoples do have inherent rights that stem from them being stewards of the land for millennia, rights that are different than those of the average Canadian. There's a lot to unpack there, and some of it circles around the differing views of Indigenous Peoples on the Indian Act itself. 

As for Indigenous Peoples being incorporated into the Canadian mosaic, it's that kind of policy approach that resulted in things like residential schools, the 60's scoop, and the modern child welfare system to begin with, and the associated cultural genocide stemming from the aforementioned. They were separate from the get go, and policy deems that they still are. 

But it's not as if Canada hasn't tried to assimilate and extinguish rights in the past, that was what underpinned the 1969 white paper, which was soundly rebuffed. https://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/the_white_paper_1969/

My great grandparents probably had similar stories, but that doesn't change the fact that many Canadians are the benefactors of colonization. This doesn't mean folks have to necessarily feel bad about it, or carry some sort of shame, but part of reconciliation is recognizing the privilege many of us enjoy because of what happened. 

None of it is simple and we aren't the only commonwealth country actively wrestling with it's origins. New Zealand, Australia, and the US are all in the same boat. The US had it's own schools, but Canada's relationship with the Indigenous Peoples that claim it as their ancestral land is rather unique. 

In any case, things are shifting bit by bit, and they were prior to the endeavors of the truth and reconciliation commission and the subsequent calls to action. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

My Grandmother on my Dad's side came from Sweden ....and my Great Grandfather on my Dad's side came from Norway.  Fun fact when my Great Grandfather came over there were too many Hansen's living here so he changed the family name.

I'm pretty sure Sweden is where my last name originates 

I spoke to my mother, but my dad is a landed US immigrant whose lineage stems from Scandinavia, as far as I can tell it relates to living near a lime tree 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It may not a popular opinion, no. But we don't have to agree on everything. I'd argue that Canada's Indigenous Peoples do have inherent rights that stem from them being stewards of the land for millennia, rights that are different than those of the average Canadian. There's a lot to unpack there, and some of it circles around the differing views of Indigenous Peoples on the Indian Act itself. 

As for Indigenous Peoples being incorporated into the Canadian mosaic, it's that kind of policy approach that resulted in things like residential schools, the 60's scoop, and the modern child welfare system to begin with, and the associated cultural genocide stemming from the aforementioned. They were separate from the get go, and policy deems that they still are. 

But it's not as if Canada hasn't tried to assimilate and extinguish rights in the past, that was what underpinned the 1969 white paper, which was soundly rebuffed. https://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/the_white_paper_1969/

My great grandparents probably had similar stories, but that doesn't change the fact that many Canadians are the benefactors of colonization. This doesn't mean folks have to necessarily feel bad about it, or carry some sort of shame, but part of reconciliation is recognizing the privilege many of us enjoy because of what happened. 

None of it is simple and we aren't the only commonwealth country actively wrestling with it's origins. New Zealand, Australia, and the US are all in the same boat. The US had it's own schools, but Canada's relationship with the Indigenous Peoples that claim it as their ancestral land is rather unique. 

In any case, things are shifting bit by bit, and they were prior to the endeavors of the truth and reconciliation commission and the subsequent calls to action. 

IMO, Indigenous people deserve to finally have some sort of justice. 

It may not wash all wounds and nor could it. 

The people of Canada and their representatives should always keep justice in mind. 

Their land was taken. It won’t all be given back. What can this modern society do to help? 

If my little parcel of Canada was taken from me I’d be pissed. 

Putting myself in their shoes and the shoes of their descendants, makes me  angry, for them. 

I would hope that one day, they as a majority accept the restitution, the rehabilitation, the pitiful recompense, and ultimately the reconciliation that we as a Society can put forth for them and that they agree or begrudgingly agree to. 

Many of our ancestors from all the lands our forebearers/ancestors didn’t get that. 

May ‘we’ be different and better. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The people of Canada and their representatives should always keep justice in mind. 

Their land was taken. It won’t all be given back. What can this modern society do to help? 

Putting myself in their shoes and the shoes of their descendants, makes me  angry, for them. 

I would hope that one day, they as a majority accept the restitution, the rehabilitation, the pitiful recompense, and ultimately the reconciliation that we as a Society can put forth for them and that they agree or begrudgingly agree to. 

Many of our ancestors from all the lands our forebearers/ancestors didn’t get that. 

You can't undo anything in the past, but we can recognize who still benefits and who doesn't. Certainly a good place to start, and should take the "blame" part of the discussion out if it for people that are hung up on that before looking at solutions. No one alive today is responsible for what happened originally. 

But what does that really mean? E.g., Do I have to agree with anything a heredity male chief says, even though that goes against much of what I believe is the correct way to live? do I just toss my beliefs of equality because 4 or 5 people from one group claim hereditary status? 

I think a big part of this is actually figuring out what disagreement means between first nations groups and the Canadian government, and what that then means for all of us plebs. 

Until we know how equitable disagreement looks I'm not sure how we move forward. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Agreed, and actual Indigenous People need to be involved in concluding what that justice is. One can utilize the disability rights slogan "nothing about us without us" and it'd apply quite nicely. 

I think a lot of what we can do is already mapped out in the truth and reconciliation report, and the calls to action. Historically, since closer to the advent of colonization really, Indigenous Peoples have been one of the most marginalized demographics in Canada. Any semblance of Canada's Indigenous Peoples being on anything resembling equal footing has to involve actual systemic and legal changes. Equality shouldn't necessarily be the aim, because that treats everyone the same, the goal needs to be equity, which aligns more with justice. 

A great deal has been done to Canada's Indigenous Peoples over many years, resulting in modern issues like intergenerational trauma, languages at risk of extinction, a massive loss of culture, widespread poverty, institutional racism, and a great deal more. Addressing this in a reconciliatory manner was never going to be an easy, straightforward process, and it's a process that involves various levels of government playing ball instead of stonewalling. 

This isn't to say strip away everyone's property, something like that simply won't happen, but it's about a lot more than just land. 

I think we're absolutely making progress on it, but it'll likely take a long while yet. That being said, there's been a lot of shifting happening over the past several decades that would have once been inconceivable. 

Our ancestors didn't see things as we do, and things aren't how they once were, we can absolutely be better. One should look at history with context, but that doesn't mean disregard the history after and write things off as simply being how they were when how things were isn't a reflection of today's reality. We collectively know a lot more now than we did then, and we can very easily look back at the history if we choose to. 

• Like 1