Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

15 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Alberta's population growth is breaking records, but signs of strain are showing

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-s-population-growth-is-breaking-records-but-signs-of-strain-are-showing-1.6846404

Something Something 

Alberta is calling

Careful what you wish for

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Saw this last night, he's exaggerated a few things but he's not wrong on a lot of it.

Most of those problems also aren't made better by a Con government either. Air quality improvements from the axe the tax crowd?  Better healthcare access through privatization, I guess maybe for the wealthy? 🤣

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Most of those problems also aren't made better by a Con government either. Air quality improvements from the axe the tax crowd?  Better healthcare access through privatization, I guess maybe for the wealthy? 🤣

And they don't know if immigration will go up, or down.  Who knows.  You would think the CON critic would know.  You would think

conservative-immigration-critic-on-conservative-immigration-v0-csz0l70z7buc1.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/10/2024 at 7:52 AM, Bob Long said:

what do you want? our leadership went with the best information they had at the time, and yes it was imperfect information. Better than the fucking stupid guesses and religious horse shit people were pulling. 

I don't think 'we' have a clear idea of the entire scope of information they had at the time. To believe this is naive imo. To be fair this is definitely true of the very beginning, but this lasted multiple years. At some point it became clear this wasn't going to kill 10-15% of the population, and also clear the measures put in place were not working, and that's just based on public information.

On 4/9/2024 at 7:49 PM, Sapper said:

The solution absolutely need everyone doine their part which in today's society seems impossible now 

90% +/- did their part no? Is it an all or nothing sum? The damn wreckers again... 

On 4/10/2024 at 7:16 AM, aGENT said:

This.

Let's not also be so naive as to think that a global freaking pandemic isn't going to have some unfortunate consequences. One small business doesn't outweigh the health and safety of the populace.

Let's also not pretend that the government didn't do a lot trying to help both people and businesses through it. The very same "printing of money" that the exact same poster endlessly complains about.

On 4/10/2024 at 7:54 AM, Bob Long said:

I'm so tired of the selfish tropes that get trotted out now. OK fellas you win, Trudeau finally got his chance to be a meanie to you. He waited his whole life just to get "your friend" to close down his restaurant. Jesus. 

On 4/10/2024 at 9:18 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Like I said, he’s only a statistic now. You just admitted it. Unfortunate consequences is a nice way to say someone’s life was ruined. Also, it wasn’t just one small business. It was many many small businesses that were ruined while others have never been the same. 

Maybe Trudeau could have done more for small business owners than you claim. You think Trudeau handled everything perfectly?  

We will see in the next election how Trudeau fares with small business owners. Rolling out a dental plan that doesn’t even work for alot of people isn’t going to change people’s votes. 

The loss of businesses are terrible but not the worst part, there were other financial problems including the wealth disparity & the inflationary pressures, but even that's probably not the worst part, stunting children development is probably the worst part. There are many bad parts though. Including forcing people to die alone or being denied life-saving medical services.

The thing that never made sense to me is that those who do not carry covid can't transmit covid based on the fact that they are not carrying the virus, yet that was never the primary point of public policy. The primary point was expedited vaccines that 'lessen symptoms', meaning more people are in great enough shape to go into public unknowingly carrying + spreading the virus, which was never mentioned but that's fine because it slowed transmission until it didn't but that's fine because it helped the population gain heard immunity, but then at some point that went away as people are still getting sick fighting covid. 

So basically everything is fine & utopia is great so no reason to check the rear-view

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 3

49 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't think 'we' have a clear idea of the entire scope of information they had at the time. To believe this is naive imo. To be fair this is definitely true of the very beginning, but this lasted multiple years. At some point it became clear this wasn't going to kill 10-15% of the population, and also clear the measures put in place were not working, and that's just based on public information.

To believe information was withheld for nefarious reasons is a bit paranoid imo.

To think we fully knew how the Covid virus was going to behave as time went on is a bit naive imo.   Nature can be full of surprises.

Sorry that the measures put in place did not work for you. 

8 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

And they don't know if immigration will go up, or down.  Who knows.  You would think the CON critic would know.  You would think

conservative-immigration-critic-on-conservative-immigration-v0-csz0l70z7buc1.jpeg

Of course you didn't even bother to read the article...

The Conservative party’s plan to tie immigration numbers to available jobs and homes could result in a lower immigration target, an MP says.

Conservative immigration critic Tom Kmiec said a Conservative government wouldn’t set an arbitrary number, but rather one that takes into account what the country can sustainably accommodate. This could end up lowering immigration, he said.

“Whatever it comes out to, that will be the number,” Kmiec said on The Andrew Lawton Show. “If it’s lower, it’s lower. If it’s higher, it’s higher.”

So basically, the immigration number would be tied to available jobs and homes, which means in some years it could be lower or it could be higher.  That's exactly what he said which is the way it should be versus Trudeau just randomly opening up the border and letting in as many people as humanly possible without the slightest clue what he is doing.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/13/2024 at 6:43 PM, Breadnbutta said:

just gonna leave this here

Bill should check out yesterday's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, before he criticizes anyone else's Health Care system....

7 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Bill should check out yesterday's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, before he criticizes anyone else's Health Care system....

he should, but he's not wrong that we have some major issues to address. I doubt he knows that its run by the provinces, e.g., but the major metrics don't lie, we are in serious need of revision of how we manage healthcare. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

he should, but he's not wrong that we have some major issues to address. I doubt he knows that its run by the provinces, e.g., but the major metrics don't lie, we are in serious need of revision of how we manage healthcare.

I don't deny that our system has it's issues, but Bill is making the case that the US system is better.

I wouldn't trade our system for the for-profit American system for all the Tea in China....

• ThereItIs 2
  • MillerTime 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I don't deny that our system has it's issues, but Bill is making the case that the US system is better.

I wouldn't trade our system for the for-profit American system for all the Tea in China....

I felt like it was more of a "warning shot" saying lets not go too far left, its not good either. 

Bill is funny but I don't take him too seriously, he tends to get important details wrong/overlooked. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I like Jane Philpott's ideas on neighborhood health clinics. She says they are popular in Europe. It does not appear to me that government has a clear idea of the full scope of the problems. If they do they aren't sharing. If it is truly provincial responsibility for health care then the feds should be transferring tax points to the provinces so that they can address the problems.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Of course you didn't even bother to read the article...

The Conservative party’s plan to tie immigration numbers to available jobs and homes could result in a lower immigration target, an MP says.

Conservative immigration critic Tom Kmiec said a Conservative government wouldn’t set an arbitrary number, but rather one that takes into account what the country can sustainably accommodate. This could end up lowering immigration, he said.

“Whatever it comes out to, that will be the number,” Kmiec said on The Andrew Lawton Show. “If it’s lower, it’s lower. If it’s higher, it’s higher.”

So basically, the immigration number would be tied to available jobs and homes, which means in some years it could be lower or it could be higher.  That's exactly what he said which is the way it should be versus Trudeau just randomly opening up the border and letting in as many people as humanly possible without the slightest clue what he is doing.

So then they really don't have a plan then.  As I said. 

Follow up questions like this would tell us if they actually have a plan, or if this is just hot air criticism of Trudope.

How exactly will the number be tied to housing and employment?  

And so what if JT just randomly opened up the borders. WE ARE A NATION OF IMMIGRANTS.  Our birth rate has fallen below replacement.  If you and I want a strong economy and people to serve us our double double, then we need immigration.  Sad, but true.

Our housing crisis is NOT BECAUSE OF IMMIGRANTS COMING HERE.

Edited by the destroyer of worlds
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I like Jane Philpott's ideas on neighborhood health clinics. She says they are popular in Europe. It does not appear to me that government has a clear idea of the full scope of the problems. If they do they aren't sharing. If it is truly provincial responsibility for health care then the feds should be transferring tax points to the provinces so that they can address the problems.  

well if you recall, Trudeau just had a big pissing match with the provinces over healthcare spending. The premiers were adamant that the feds don't tell them what to spend on, but he got them to concede a bit on things like mental health. 

In my experience, the province and health ministry is well aware of the problems. What they aren't willing to do is change how things are run. No one in the ministry wants to be blamed if the changes aren't perfect, because anything negative that happens they will get skewered by the media, even if the system overall is better.

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

After having to sit in an emergency room for 6 hours just to get a prescription because it's bloody impossible to get into a walk in clinic where I live, I'm all for the criticism because maybe it will open some people's eyes to this inexcusable mess it's become 

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

So then they really don't have a plan then.  As I said. 

Follow up questions like this would tell us if they actually have a plan, or if this is just hot air criticism of Trudope.

How exactly will the number be tied to housing and employment?  

And so what if JT just randomly opened up the borders. WE ARE A NATION OF IMMIGRANTS.  Our birth rate has fallen below replacement.  If you and I want a strong economy and people to serve us our double double, then we need immigration.  Sad, but true.

Our housing crisis is NOT BECAUSE OF IMMIGRANTS COMING HERE.

So you are in favour of opening up the border to all who want to come?  No limits?  And you are of the opinion that immigration isn’t a cause of the housing crisis?

How out of touch can a Trudeau supporter really be?  No wonder the Liberals are getting slaughtered in the polls. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

well if you recall, Trudeau just had a big pissing match with the provinces over healthcare spending. The premiers were adamant that the feds don't tell them what to spend on, but he got them to concede a bit on things like mental health. 

In my experience, the province and health ministry is well aware of the problems. What they aren't willing to do is change how things are run. No one in the ministry wants to be blamed if the changes aren't perfect, because anything negative that happens they will get skewered by the media, even if the system overall is better.

Good point. The changes to the systems here in Oilberta have been met with the usual mix of 'opinions'. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• ThereItIs 1

46 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

After having to sit in an emergency room for 6 hours just to get a prescription because it's bloody impossible to get into a walk in clinic where I live, I'm all for the criticism because maybe it will open some people's eyes to this inexcusable mess it's become 

What exactly are you expecting out of a federal government that is being opposed by various provincial governments for no apparent reason?  What are you expecting from a federal government that has little jurisdiction over health care in this country?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

What exactly are you expecting out of a federal government that is being opposed by various provincial governments for no apparent reason?  What are you expecting from a federal government that has little jurisdiction over health care in this country?

I expect our elected leaders to take action and work on the problems not just pretend they don't exist and sweep them under the rug. These issues didn't just pop up overnight. This has been snowballing for like 10 years now to get to the point we are at. It's unacceptable. I should be able to go to a walk in clinic sit down and see a doctor in a reasonable amount of time. You literally can not go to a walk in clinic unless you call right when they open and win the phone line lottery and hope to get a appointment. That's a joke.

Also I never even mentioned the federal government 🤷

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Funny how everyone has an anecdote that they can "whip out" whenever they need it to make a political point.:classic_rolleyes:

Here's mine: I get my prescriptions from my doctor, who I can get in to see within a couple of days, at the longest. He sends my prescription through to the pharmacy that's a 2 minute walk from where I work and they text me when it's ready to be picked up.

So....for anyone here who feels like they'd be better off under the American Healthcare system, I'll give you directions: image.jpeg.c60ff8d78990568ec7050287db7fc13e.jpeg

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Funny how everyone has an anecdote that they can "whip out" whenever they need it to make a political point.:classic_rolleyes:

Here's mine: I get my prescriptions from my doctor, who I can get in to see within a couple of days, at the longest. He sends my prescription through to the pharmacy that's a 2 minute walk from where I work and they text me when it's ready to be picked up.

So....for anyone here who feels like they'd be better off under the American Healthcare system, I'll give you directions: image.jpeg.c60ff8d78990568ec7050287db7fc13e.jpeg

That was literally how I spent my Friday evening. Not an anecdote. It was a joke.

Hey man that's awesome that you can do that. Guess what though? A very large portion of our population doesn't have that option. Why the hell do you think there is a registry to hook patients up with a family doctor. Also have you heard how long some people spend on that list? I'm not saying Americas health care is a viable route I'd like to take, but we can't keep going down this road. People are dying due to our crumbling healthcare. That's unacceptable period 

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

That was literally how I spent my Friday evening. Not an anecdote. It was a joke.

Hey man that's awesome that you can do that. Guess what though? A very large portion of our population doesn't have that option. Why the hell do you think there is a registry to hook patients up with a family doctor. Also have you heard how long some people spend on that list? I'm not saying Americas health care is a viable route I'd like to take, but we can't keep going down this road. People are dying due to our crumbling healthcare. That's unacceptable period 

So you're not saying that the American system is better? Because that's what I was saying and I clearly stated there were issues with the Canadian system.