Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

13 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Was this recently? Because otherwise I think that was in reference to the 2021-22 anti-vax convoy truckers flying symbols of hatred and racism like the Swaztika and Confederate flags. 

This isn't an endorsement of Trudeau, but the current conservative's willingness to import the American culture wars into their tent is my main concern right now considering them as an alternative to Trudeau and what those groups stand for is against all our collective values as Canadians. 

Trudeau’s comments had nothing to do with the freedom convoy. He made those statements in September 2021 in Quebec. The freedom convoy didn’t happen until early 2022…

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Its actually still a requirement in BC. I have nurse friends who were forced into vaccination to keep a job they have devoted their lives to.

That was a requirement from their employer, not the federal government.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

That was a requirement from their employer, not the federal government.

That doesn't seem to make a difference to the antivax crowd, as they terrorized the national capital in an attempt to get provincial restrictions lifted.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trudeau’s comments had nothing to do with the freedom convoy. He made those statements in September 2021 in Quebec. The freedom convoy didn’t happen until early 2022…

His comments were about vaccine resistance.   What was the convoy about again?   Was it about opinions formed in 2022?

26 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I'm not talking about the family you know.   I'm asking you to consider the families you don't know (just in case there actually are any.)

image.gif.e8a971092aa1fff84999f811ef243260.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

The fact you knew what I meant is all that's needed. Thx for the help though

Any time. Just didn't want you to succumb to an embarrassing homophone....

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Whorvat said:

He's sewing fear of fellow Canadians, based on whether or not they succumbed to a medical procedure

No, they could always opt out of the vaccine, which isn't a "medical procedure" btw (at least not in the dramatic way you're describing.) 

What he's talking about are the ones that e.g., refused to follow masking requirements in stores, or the ones that tried to intimidate healthcare workers. 

How do you feel about the folks that yelled and screamed at healthcare workers, just doing their jobs? You might find you actually agree with Trudeau in that instance. 

Edited by Bob Long

15 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

He explicitly stated 'there is still a part of the population that is fiercely against it, they don't believe in science/progress and are very often misogynistic and racist' Not sure where you're picking up he was speaking about Fuck Trudeau banners.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-protest-racist-death-threat-sexist-1.6157617

image.thumb.png.1ca7c33883aab265fb3e89aa92a68931.png

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Its actually still a requirement in BC. I have nurse friends who were forced into vaccination to keep a job they have devoted their lives to.

In BC. Why is that a Trudeau problem? healthcare staffing decisions are provincial, not federal.

And they had a choice, they just didn't like the consequences. 

As a conservative, I'm sure you'd agree that peoples actions are their own, and people need to live by the consequences of their choices. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Whorvat said:

He's sewing fear of fellow Canadians, based on whether or not they succumbed to a medical procedure

I was asked for an example, and provided an example

Pretty poor example really.

No fear mongering or anger farming in that statement at all

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Imagine the leader of the country calling Canadians misogynistic and racist and some people think that isn't spewing hate and dividing the country.  Too funny.

Also, what exactly is "racist" about not taking a vaccine?  Were these protestors wearing blackface like Trudeau?

Imagine the potential leader of a nation claiming and pushing the narrative that if you don't vote for them you're woke, stupid and trying to destroy Canadian history and culture and you support child mutilation and questionable behaviour around kids.

So....

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Why does one have to be attached to the Conservatives to have the view that Trudeau is a cancer?

At this point I'd rather vote for none of them

People think you are attached to the Conservatives because you sound like one, and that includes your Trudeau hate.

There are two or three people who actively support the Liberals.  The majority of people who disagree with you don't even like Trudeau.

• Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

People think you are attached to the Conservatives because you sound like one, and that includes your Trudeau hate.

There are two or three people who actively support the Liberals.  The majority of people who disagree with you don't even like Trudeau.

I hate the fact that the far right reactionaries (they don't represent conservatism to me, they don't deserve that label) with their imported American talking points around Wokeness/DEI/Division are making me consider voting for Trudeau. And I'm saying this as someone that voted for Harper.

Bring back the progressive Conservatives.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

that banner is really obnoxious. To use the Canadian flag to spell "fuck" is trashy. 

I have never agreed with you more, and I agree with you on many things.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, DSVII said:

I hate the fact that the reactionaries with their imported American talking points around Wokeness/DEI/Division are making me consider voting for Trudeau. And I'm saying this as someone that voted for Harper.

its really unfortunate that the social con silliness is taking over the CPC, and you are 100% correct, a lot of it is imported talking points.

There's also no real plan to tackle the debt or create new industries. There's really not much to vote for with Skippy.

48 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And these things change frequently, and sometimes the change doesn't make sense.  As someone doing a white collar job in blue-collar company, the mandatory safety training that all employees have to take is pretty useless.  That being said, I just take the damn test every year and get on with my job instead of crying about it.

Every few years BC Ferries sends my friend, the chef, to a food safe course- this despite him having a lifetime ticket, due to his red seal certificate.

He just says, "Thanks for the easy day, at school"

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its really unfortunate that the social con silliness is taking over the CPC, and you are 100% correct, a lot of it is imported talking points.

There's also no real plan to tackle the debt or create new industries. There's really not much to vote for with Skippy.

We have lots of lithium in the ground currently.  Using some of that carbon tax revenue to incentivize mining it would help create jobs, especially if it was coupled with similar funding aimed at getting batteries manufactured here.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • MillerTime 1

57 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

His comments were about vaccine resistance.   What was the convoy about again?   Was it about opinions formed in 2022?

Someone made a comment that Trudeau was referring to the freedom convoy when he made that statement. Which is not true. His comments were made months before the freedom convoy even started. 

Saying a small group of anti-vaxxers are racists and misogynists is divisive.  He also referred to them as “these people”. Remember what happened to Don Cherry when he effectively said the same thing? 

Also, 6 million people isn’t a small group. That’s 15% of the population over the age of 5 that decided not to get vaccinated.  Are all of those 6 million people racists and misogynists? 

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/vaccination-coverage/#:~:text=National vaccination coverage Access the,with at least 1 dose.

• Cheers 2