Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

As a rule when questioning gets to intense Trudeau throws his people under the bus. Jane Philpot, Jody Raybould, Morneau, CSIS, upper ranks of the Canadian military, Parliamentary Budget Officer, Ethics Commissioner..... 

That's politics. Always has been.

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Umm as far as I know most countries were able to open their borders without funneling money to a scam?

That's my point ... If evidence comes out that Trudeau knew it was a scam and funneled money to it ....that's a criminal matter and should be fully investigated and prosecuted 

Can't blame him or if it was the conservative leader in charge for looking to tech to speed things up .... It was uncharted territory and the travel industry wanted no stone left unturned in the push to fast track movement across borders and to give travelers more confidence on being able to get back into Canada ....

Canadians demanded their border open more so than Americans at the time other than a couple of border states who's economy depends on cross border shopping 

Hindsight is always easier and I'm sure if they could re do it they would change alot of things 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

That's politics. Always has been.

Arrivescam

Snc lavscam

We charity scandal

Constant ethic violations

"It's just politics always has been"

Your bias is showing 

Edited by bolt
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That article came out 2 months prior to Harper losing the election.  So, I'm assuming the same thing will happen with Trudeau in the next election...

23 minutes ago, bolt said:

Arrivescam

Snc lavscam

We charity scandal

Constant ethic violations

"It's just politics always has been"

Your bias is showing 

Shall we go over the history of all parties and their scandals?

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

That article came out 2 months prior to Harper losing the election.  So, I'm assuming the same thing will happen with Trudeau in the next election...

The point is that Bob Long is correct.  These happen with literally every single government;  if anything, Trudeau has had less of them than the vermin he replaced.

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You forgot about the Winnipeg lab scandal.  I know, it's hard to keep up to all of them...

Let's remember who was in charge when that one began (though you may prefer to remember who was in charge when it came to light.)

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

PP isn’t the leader of the country. There is still time for Trudeau to resign and let someone else run for Prime Minister. 

POTENTIAL leader.

Guess that escaped ya eh?

Yup, he should step down.  But we have two ponies in the two big parties lead more by ego than substance.

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The above stories are what we call pushing a narrative.  Trudeau is not in charge of any of that.  A coalition minority government is.  Aside from Deifenbakker, Mulroney and Harper, history and record dictate that almost no PM has had or demanded that level of oversight or gifted contracts as everything is run through committees or departments.

This individual pushing that it is Trudeau, or the Trudeau government knows EXACTLY what they are doing and why.  YOu know exactly what they are doing and why.

Be better than this.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You do know that if the Canucks suck they fire the coach right?  Trudeau is the leader of his party and is ultimately held responsible for their behaviour.  If he is not, then he shouldn't be in power if he has zero responsibilities...

Trudeau is the leader of a party yup.  Responsible sure is.  But he is also a minority leader and is in fact in charge of very little without ultimate multi party consent to the direction this nation is going or how money is being spent.

Remarkably, Harper and Poiliverre also said these exact same things yet took little to no responsibility for their own behaviour in the past under numerous ethical scandals and issues.

• Cheers 3

27 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The point is that Bob Long is correct.  These happen with literally every single government;  if anything, Trudeau has had less of them than the vermin he replaced.

The point I was speaking to was more that leaders have always thrown people under the bus when it suits them, it's how parties work. 

What's different with trudeau is most of his haven't ended up with plumb gigs for falling on their swords.

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Labour leader urges unions to expose Poilievre's working-class overtures as 'fraud'

https://www.timescolonist.com/national-news/labour-leader-urges-unions-to-expose-poilievres-working-class-overtures-as-fraud-8618670

OTTAWA — The head of Canada's largest labour organization is calling Pierre Poilievre a "fraud" for portraying himself as a friend of the working class.

Canadian Labour Congress Bea Bruske wants union leaders to do everything they can to expose him before the next federal election. 

Bruske delivered her call to arms today as delegates gathered in Ottawa to plot strategy ahead of the vote, which must happen before October 2025. 

Canada's three main political parties are already battling for blue-collar votes: both NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau were to address the meeting later today. 

The speeches come in the wake of a federal budget that increases taxes on the wealthy and includes funding for NDP priorities like pharmacare and dental care.

Poilievre was not invited to speak at the gathering. 

While polls suggest Poilievre's affordability message is resonating with workers, Bruske says his history of supporting back-to-work legislation makes him hostile to labour.

"We must do everything in our power to expose Mr. Pierre Poilievre for the fraud that he is," Bruske said. 

"We must be under no illusions." 

This is a pretty important thing to hammer home.

Poiliverre is a fraud period.

He's been a career politician since he was a teenager, was championed by the two largest anti abortion coalitions for almost a decade or more, has a long history of social policy beliefs based on his religion and has never worked or paid honest taxes in his life.

O'Toole or Ambrose should have been the options.  But Poiliverre was not about to let O'Toole try again and Ambrose had no desire.

Shame about that

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You forgot about the Winnipeg lab scandal.  I know, it's hard to keep up to all of them...

Who put that individual and her partner in charge of that lab?

Just you know.  Curious who let them in he nation, gave them their credentials and their position.  

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The above stories are what we call pushing a narrative.  Trudeau is not in charge of any of that.  A coalition minority government is.  Aside from Deifenbakker, Mulroney and Harper, history and record dictate that almost no PM has had or demanded that level of oversight or gifted contracts as everything is run through committees or departments.

This individual pushing that it is Trudeau, or the Trudeau government knows EXACTLY what they are doing and why.  YOu know exactly what they are doing and why.

Be better than this.

Trudeau is the leader of a party yup.  Responsible sure is.  But he is also a minority leader and is in fact in charge of very little without ultimate multi party consent to the direction this nation is going or how money is being spent.

Remarkably, Harper and Poiliverre also said these exact same things yet took little to no responsibility for their own behaviour in the past under numerous ethical scandals and issues.

So basically, what you are saying it that it is better to have a majority government in place so that the Prime Minister and his party can actually be held responsible for everything.  I agree...

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So basically, what you are saying it that it is better to have a majority government in place so that the Prime Minister and his party can actually be held responsible for everything.  I agree...

You love assuming things and putting words in peoples mouths.  Those dinner parties where everyone is somehow an expert in whatever topic is being discussed during the day on this forum must be great.

So before you turn an ankle jumping to conclusions no.  I don't like majorities.  At all.  Having a majority in place allowed for the former government to simply prorogie parliament even when the former PM was found guilty of contempt of parliament twice.  Even when they shoved through massive (the largest in canadian history) omnibus legislation hat contained seriously egregious things without giving the rest of parliament time to examine it.

Having a minority government allows for a larger majority of the population to be represented and allows for the leading party to be held accountable.

So don't do that nonsense.  It's childish and honestly just sad.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You love assuming things and putting words in peoples mouths.  Those dinner parties where everyone is somehow an expert in whatever topic is being discussed during the day on this forum must be great.

So before you turn an ankle jumping to conclusions no.  I don't like majorities.  At all.  Having a majority in place allowed for the former government to simply prorogie parliament even when the former PM was found guilty of contempt of parliament twice.  Even when they shoved through massive (the largest in canadian history) omnibus legislation hat contained seriously egregious things without giving the rest of parliament time to examine it.

Having a minority government allows for a larger majority of the population to be represented and allows for the leading party to be held accountable.

So don't do that nonsense.  It's childish and honestly just sad.

So, you prefer a minority government whereby at the end of the day nobody is really held accountable for anything because it is a "group" effort and nobody is really in charge.  Got it.  As for my dinner parties, I can guarantee you that the discussions around the dinner table are much more balanced than this thread...

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Who put that individual and her partner in charge of that lab?

Just you know.  Curious who let them in he nation, gave them their credentials and their position.  

Right, so Harper put those people in charge and Trudeau just let them do their thing with zero accountability whatsoever.  I mean the Liberal government seems to not be doing anything these days, other than never being able to balance a budget.  At least Harper was competent enough to do that.  Has there ever been a Prime Minister in the history of Canada who couldn't ever balance a budget after 8 years in power?

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trudeau is the leader of his party and is ultimately held responsible for their behaviour.  If he is not, then he shouldn't be in power if he has zero responsibilities...

I realize I am American and don't know a lot about Canadian politics. I assume that PP is the leader of his party, correct? And then is held by you (and those that agree with you) to the same standard? ie If any member of his party is involved in anything untoward, then PP is also held responsible or should not be in power...? Or does it only matter for the PM?

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, you prefer a minority government whereby at the end of the day nobody is really held accountable for anything because it is a "group" effort and nobody is really in charge.  Got it.  As for my dinner parties, I can guarantee you that the discussions around the dinner table are much more balanced than this thread...

39 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You love assuming things and putting words in peoples mouths. 

Childish, and sad.

As for your dinner parties.  I am sure they are just great.  Dandy even.  With everyone fancifully being an expert on the field of topic du jour they must be just riveting

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

I realize I am American and don't know a lot about Canadian politics. I assume that PP is the leader of his party, correct? And then is held by you (and those that agree with you) to the same standard? ie If any member of his party is involved in anything untoward, then PP is also held responsible or should not be in power...? Or does it only matter for the PM?

By that other posters metric, yes PP should absolutely be held accountable.  Should we start posting and listing Conservative party foibles for fun?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So basically, what you are saying

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, you prefer a minority government

So, you really, really, like the word "so"?