Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you are so interested in my dinner parties you should come out to Vancouver and join us.  I promise you it will be a lot more fun than hanging out in this thread.  You might even learn a few things about politics outside of the echo chamber…

I would happily attend one of your dinner parties, but the trip's too long from PG. Just imagine me there next time as the life of the party.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Low interest rates and high inflation due to printing of money during covid supercharged the housing market

How did the inflation rate supercharge housing? You need to explain that one.

12 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

and now low supply and FOMO keep the train rolling and probably will for some time. If interest rates remain high enough for long enough I think the market will show some cooling, but they are already predicting cuts starting in June and likely start cuts before reaching anywhere near 2% inflation.   

Housing prices have been on a huge growth curve well before covid or recent inflation 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 112 said:

I strongly believe the reality is contrary to what your assumptions are. People on disability programs have much to offer the country and the world, but their potential is hamstrung by the brutal realities of living in poverty, which is what someone on a provincial assistance program is doing. The Canada Disability Benefit, which was announced years ago but which only comes into effect next July, offers a maximum of $200 per month to eligible persons. The poverty line in, say, Vancouver is approximately $2,300*month, while the rate of provincial disability assistance is roughly $1,450*month. This is to say: with the new money being promised to people with disabilities, this group is still living $650*month below what is considered impoverished. Even for someone who is not actually disabled and should not be in receipt of the referenced funds, they're not living a very good life. I also absolutely think there are significantly fewer 'freeloaders' on provincial assistance than you believe there to be.

Full time minimum wage salary in June will be $36,192/year or $29,967 take home after taxes slight over the poverty line. People with disabilities who cant work should get more there are a lot of government programs that offer assistance based on low income not disability based that people take advantage of. One really bad one recently started is the government provided opioid program, where police reports are showing a good chunk is just ending up in the hands of drug dealers.  

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

How did the inflation rate supercharge housing? You need to explain that one.

Housing prices have been on a huge growth curve well before covid or recent inflation 

Low interest rate and high inflation together is fairly rare as one usually counter acts the other, covid created a situation where both were present creating the optimal environment for housing investment. Housing and Businesses are great investments during time of high inflation as they adjust typical with inflation.    

40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you are so interested in my dinner parties you should come out to Vancouver and join us.  I promise you it will be a lot more fun than hanging out in this thread.  You might even learn a few things about politics outside of the echo chamber…

If you are a representative of such dinner parties, I would be exhausted and just focus on eating.

I can't think of someone who posts more Twitter links from Cpnservative MPs than you.  And it's always Conservative.  You can't be posting twitter links from Pierre Poilievre himself and talk to us about echo chambers.  No one here is posting from Trudeau's Twitter.

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

If you are a representative of such dinner parties, I would be exhausted and just focus on eating.

I can't think of someone who posts more Twitter links from Cpnservative MPs than you.  And it's always Conservative.  You can't be posting twitter links from Pierre Poilievre himself and talk to us about echo chambers.  No one here is posting from Trudeau's Twitter.

I have a couple of Korean friends.  We go to Korean barbecue in Coquitlam.  We could always order some for the dinner party.  Love the Korean barbecue.  So you are invited any time my friend.  I may have even dated a Korean girl or two.  

“Ann yeong, Nonun aluum dahwo, Kamsa hamnida, Bogo sheepoyo”.  My favourite is “Sarang hae”.  That usually gets their attention…. 😊

As for Twitter links, I think I literally posted one tweet from PP.  And you still remember it…  😊

Actually, I just found a new Twitter feed called Justin Trudeau’s ego.  It’s pretty funny actually, so you might just see more of those in the future…

1 hour ago, Spring Salmon said:

Yes Parksville is nice.  A little too many old people though.  Anyway no, I will not vote for Gord. He is a complete disappointment, just like his boss Jag.  It's good to see the polls say the island is turning blue (well except a couple seats around Victoria).

The north island MP sees the writing on the wall and has announced she will not be seeking re-election and Alistair MacGregor is in full desperation mode on twitter crying about Pierre.  You better hope your wife has a lot of lib friends you can convince 

Sad to see a poster on here celebrating the amount of neighbours who are willing to elect Nazi vermin to run this country.  The civilized majority of Canadians do not see anywhere turning blue a good thing while an evil terrorist lover is running the CPC.

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I have a couple of Korean friends.  We go to Korean barbecue in Coquitlam.  We could always order some for the dinner party.  Love the Korean barbecue.  So you are invited any time my friend.  I may have even dated a Korean girl or two.  

“Ann yeong, Nonun aluum dahwo, Kamsa hamnida, Bogo sheepoyo”.  My favourite is “Sarang hae”.  That usually gets their attention…. 😊

As for Twitter links, I think I literally posted one tweet from PP.  And you still remember it…  😊

Actually, I just found a new Twitter feed called Justin Trudeau’s ego.  It’s pretty funny actually, so you might just see more of those in the future…

Oh right, another thing: grandpa always taught me never to talk politics at a dinner table.  Tried it once and I got yelled at.  I sorta get it - I don't think these dinner talks are as productive as you think they are.

You were posting a bunch of links from a Conservative MP yesterday.  I have not seen you post once from a NDP MP, nor I have I seen you post anything from any prominent trusted journalist.  Steve Paikin would be a prime example - very trustworthy journalist from Ontario.  Instead you post Justin Trudeau's Ego and expect us to take you seriously. 

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Oh right, another thing: grandpa always taught me never to talk politics at a dinner table.  Tried it once and I got yelled at.  I sorta get it - I don't think these dinner talks are as productive as you think they are.

You were posting a bunch of links from a Conservative MP yesterday.  I have not seen you post once from a NDP MP, nor I have I seen you post anything from any prominent trusted journalist.  Steve Paikin would be a prime example - very trustworthy journalist from Ontario.  Instead you post Justin Trudeau's Ego and expect us to take you seriously. 

Michael Barrett was in the HOC yesterday and they were going after the CEO of GC strategies, you know the company Trudeau paid $20 million to to set up an $80,000 app for ArriveScam.  It was pretty important so I posted even the HOC feed.

Of course the NDP and Liberal feeds on Twitter didn’t bother to post anything on it, so of course I had to use a Conservative MP feed.  Justin Trudeau’s Ego twitter feed seems to have more factual information than Trudeau’s real feed…

• ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

well, now it begins. PP says the election will be about "the carbon tax" and now says goodbye to pharmacare, because private plans. 

With the lines now starting to be drawn, it should be a lot easier for anyone annoyed with Trudeau considering switching to Skippy to see what they are gaining or losing.

So PP is now on record saying because someone might get their pills free from government vs a private plan that person would be paying for .... He's apposed to pharmacare

So this is a settled debate now

Conservatives have officially taken the position that pharmaceutical profits come before Canadians and that in insured Canadians need to pay no matter what to protect those foreign multinational pharmaceutical companies 

Absolutely disgusting ..... That's some USA no health care for you crap right there 

Canada needs a Canadian Prime Minster and not a Maga USA plant .... 

PP could have come up with any number of false narratives that didn't sell out Canadians for multinational profits.....he's so Maga he can't resist 

We won't recognize Canada when he's down ... It will be a different country on every level .... 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Michael Barrett was in the HOC yesterday and they were going after the CEO of GC strategies, you know the company Trudeau paid $20 million to to set up an $80,000 app for ArriveScam.  It was pretty important so I posted even the HOC feed.

Of course the NDP and Liberal feeds on Twitter didn’t bother to post anything on it, so of course I had to use a Conservative MP feed.  Justin Trudeau’s Ego twitter feed seems to have more factual information than Trudeau’s real feed…

So trudueas twitter is an ego feed but conservative feeds are something different ?  They are both ego feeds and Im surprised anyone actually believes different 

12 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Low interest rate and high inflation together is fairly rare as one usually counter acts the other, covid created a situation where both were present creating the optimal environment for housing investment. Housing and Businesses are great investments during time of high inflation as they adjust typical with inflation.    

But that only happened for a short time. Housing prices have been increasing long before covid. 

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

But that only happened for a short time. Housing prices have been increasing long before covid. 

The biggest reasons for housing prices is municipal zoning, NIMBY'ism and foreign/investment companies buying up housing stock (and developers happy to see increasing profit margins). A side of not building public housing for ~30 years (multiple liberal and con governments and also the responsibility of the provinces) and *poof* out of control housing.

Cheap interest rates made it "affordable" for more people to be in the market, but the prices and the conditions for those prices have been coming for a LONNNNNNG time before Jr won any elections and most of which have little to nothing to do with federal jurisdiction.

Edited by aGENT
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

The biggest reasons for housing prices is municipal zoning, NIMBY'ism and foreign/investment companies buying up housing stock (and developers happy to see increasing profit margins). A side of not building public housing for ~30 years (multiple liberal and con governments and also the responsibility of the provinces) and *poof* out of control housing.

Cheap interest rates made it "affordable" for more people to be in the market, but the prices and the conditions for those prices have been coming for a LONNNNNNG time before Jr won any elections and most of which have little to nothing to do with federal jurisdiction.

There was also no will among owners or government to put controls on the equity balloon.

He's trying very hard to fit PP economic theory into a two year period to blame Trudeau for something.

I still want to know how PP will lower my payments, none of the PP supporters seems to have an answer.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-cellphone-bill-costs-lower/

Data is getting cheaper per GB.  This is the exact opposite of shrinkflation.

How exactly did competition increase?  There’s literally 3 companies that own the entire market. Also, data getting cheaper has zero to do with any federal government policy. That article literally says they are looking at price decreases based on increased data, not on actual lower costs. And jumping from one company to another just to get a promo rate isn’t really cutting costs by 50%. 

More lies and spin from your federal government. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How exactly did competition increase?  There’s literally 3 companies that own the entire market. Also, data getting cheaper has zero to do with any federal government policy. That article literally says they are looking at price decreases based on increased data, not on actual lower costs. And jumping from one company to another just to get a promo rate isn’t really cutting costs by 50%. 

More lies and spin from your federal government. 

Which is why I said the opposite of shrinkflation.  

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Gurn said:

The largest conservative province in the nation with a conservative leader is accusing gas companies of ripping people off after prices jump 16-22 cents overnight?  AFTER prices got jacked with the carbon tax?

Say it aint so

• Vintage 2

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes sir he was there yesterday.  And again, this is what is called pushing a narrative.

Trudeau signed no cheques.  This was done by a committee or department, like all government contracts are.

Anyone who does this or consistently says it was this person; no black or white needs to stop and check to see if they're perpetuating the lie or not.

So I will ask you since I cant ask the shill on twitter here.

Did Trudeau sign that cheque?  Is that how our government works?

On 4/17/2024 at 10:09 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

On 4/17/2024 at 10:09 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

On 4/17/2024 at 10:11 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yes sir he was there yesterday.  And again, this is what is called pushing a narrative.

Trudeau signed no cheques.  This was done by a committee or department, like all government contracts are.

Anyone who does this or consistently says it was this person; no black or white needs to stop and check to see if they're perpetuating the lie or not.

So I will ask you since I cant ask the shill on twitter here.

Did Trudeau sign that cheque?  Is that how our government works?

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that we can all agree Poilievre will be singly responsible for every project decision and cheque written while he's PM.