Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Just heard on the radio that every Saturday in Vernon the freedom/ vaxx/ JT obsessed folks still get together to 'protest'. Like, still. Every weekend.

What are they going to do with all thier time when little PP is in the PM seat?

Asking for a friend. 

Certainly a pathetic crowd, but being unemployed they will surely find something to keep them busy.. sure they’ll find some way to blame the libs for how poorly PP toucher will do

• ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm just as/more worried about what the Cons will self off/privatize  next to "balance the budget". We've already lost PetroCan, the Wheat Board, privatized medical creeping in...

EVERY time they're in power it just a steady erosion of Canadian assets to foreigner interests and degraded social safety nets. How does anyone vote for that?

What  should have cost them.every workers vote ( really shocked at how I'll informed their supportets are ) was a pension bill that died only because Harper lost the last election. 

A private members bill made it through the house that would permit employers to RETROACTIVELY cut pensions if they decided to do so

It basically would have entrenched what happened to Sears retired as the new norm for everyone

That alone should scare every working person from ever.voting conservative.

How many cons here support your former employer rolling back your pension including taking parts of what you paid for ?

Edited by Sapper
  • Vintage 2

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm just as/more worried about what the Cons will self off/privatize  next to "balance the budget". We've already lost PetroCan, the Wheat Board, privatized medical creeping in...

EVERY time they're in power it just a steady erosion of Canadian assets to foreigner interests and degraded social safety nets. How does anyone vote for that?

Dont let the facts get into the way of a false narrative!! Everything is the libs fault remember!! Some of these people just want us to be America, if they want it so bad just move south already!

• Cheers 1

Senators reject field trip to African Lion Safari amid elephant bill study

https://www.timescolonist.com/national-news/senators-reject-field-trip-to-african-lion-safari-amid-elephant-bill-study-8626071

OTTAWA — A proposed road trip for senators to visit the elephants at the African Lion Safari near Hamilton was rejected Thursday as some members of the Senate legal affairs committee called it a waste of taxpayers money.

But Conservative Senate leader Don Plett said it is only right that senators see for themselves how the elephants are treated at African Lion Safari before voting on a bill that could put the zoo out of business.

The trip, which committee chair Sen. Mobina Jaffer said would cost at least $50,000, was proposed by some Conservative senators as the committee studies Bill S-15. The bill would prohibit new captivity and breeding of elephants and great apes except in cases of conservation, science or animal welfare

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I believe my original point was government printing of money and over spending has contributed significantly to a lot of the issues currently facing Canada at the moment, dont think I ever mentioned PP.

you didn't, just assumed you were a supporter as you're kind of using his logic. Sorry if thats not correct.

Its contributed, not sure what "significantly" means, are you saying its the #1 driver? or just a contributor? also in the absence of an alternative plan, not sure what else could have been done. 

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Canada should not look to increase government spending due to a likely stale GDP over the next couple years and possible recession. They need to pick and choose the most beneficial programs to implement and roll them out in a cost effective manner.  

not sure this is correct either, we may need to invest our way out of this. 

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Another lying politician.  Who would have guessed? 

Lying?  What proof do you have that this isn’t the case?? Can I guess you REd iT oN ThE iNterWeBs?!  🤦‍♂️ 

6 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Just heard on the radio that every Saturday in Vernon the freedom/ vaxx/ JT obsessed folks still get together to 'protest'. Like, still. Every weekend.

What are they going to do with all thier time when little PP is in the PM seat?

Asking for a friend. 

Margaret Atwood nailed it with these folks, its all just a big party for them. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rook said:

Lying?  What proof do you have that this isn’t the case?? Can I guess you REd iT oN ThE iNterWeBs?!  🤦‍♂️ 

Trudeau told you that cell phone plans have dropped 50%, in part by increased competition. Can you show me how many new cell phone providers have entered the Canadian market since 2019?  And you can’t include any providers already owned by Telus, Rogers or Bell. I’ll wait. 

Also, if you even bothered to read the article that was posted it explained that alot of the drop in cell phone costs had to do with introductory promo rates which go away after 2 years. So unless you are switching companies every 2 years eventually your monthly bill will go up after the promo ends.  Also, cell phone providers increase their data allowances but charge you the same rate. That’s actually not a decrease in costs. You simply get more data for the same price. 

Also, if you go onto the Telus website the lowest amount of data usage they offer is 50GB. Most people don’t need this much data in a month. I use my phone daily and my usage is usually 10-15GB max. So why not offer a 10GB plan for 50% less?  Cause Telus doesn’t want you to be able to purchase a plan that is so cheap that’s why. 

The index is thus heavily influenced by a couple factors: promotions and data. Telecoms generally offer a discount to new customers over a two-year contract. It depends on the plan, but often the customer will save $10 or $15 a month for the duration of the contract, then pay full freight. Statscan tracks the promo rates, and because it focuses solely on the plan, it doesn’t account for the activation fees – frequently $60 – that new clients face.

Wireless providers have also jacked up the data allowances in their plans, which has a dampening effect on prices. If a consumer pays the same for a plan with more data, Statscan would interpret this as a price cut. This is known as a quality adjustment and it’s a standard practice in price index methodologies.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trudeau told you that cell phone plans have dropped 50%, in part by increased competition. Can you show me how many new cell phone providers have entered the Canadian market since 2019?  And you can’t include any providers already owned by Telus, Rogers or Bell. I’ll wait. 

Also, if you even bothered to read the article that was posted it explained that alot of the drop in cell phone costs had to do with introductory promo rates which go away after 2 years. So unless you are switching companies every 2 years eventually your monthly bill will go up after the promo ends.  Also, cell phone providers increase their data allowances but charge you the same rate. That’s actually not a decrease in costs. You simply get more data for the same price. 

Also, if you go onto the Telus website the lowest amount of data usage they offer is 50G. Most people don’t need this much data in a month. I use my phone daily and my usage is usually 10-15G max. So why not offer a 10G plan for 50% less?  Cause Telus doesn’t want you to be able to purchase a plan that is so cheap that’s why. 

The index is thus heavily influenced by a couple factors: promotions and data. Telecoms generally offer a discount to new customers over a two-year contract. It depends on the plan, but often the customer will save $10 or $15 a month for the duration of the contract, then pay full freight. Statscan tracks the promo rates, and because it focuses solely on the plan, it doesn’t account for the activation fees – frequently $60 – that new clients face.

Wireless providers have also jacked up the data allowances in their plans, which has a dampening effect on prices. If a consumer pays the same for a plan with more data, Statscan would interpret this as a price cut. This is known as a quality adjustment and it’s a standard practice in price index methodologies.

yeah the whole 2 year promo is BS.  I’ve been with the same company for almost 25 years and negotiate my terms.. they’ve NEVER gone up and have consistently come down over the last few years.  I would trust my own experience over some opinion piece by the fringe minority. 

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Also, if you even bothered to read the article that was posted it explained that alot of the drop in cell phone costs had to do with introductory promo rates which go away after 2 years. So unless you are switching companies every 2 years eventually your monthly bill will go up after the promo ends. 

Retentions department solves that issue real fast.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Rook said:

yeah the whole 2 year promo is BS.  I’ve been with the same company for almost 25 years and negotiate my terms.. they’ve NEVER gone up and have consistently come down over the last few years.  I would trust my own experience over some opinion piece by the fringe minority. 

I've been with fido for almost 10 years now and my bill has only gone up every 2 years, so I believe everyone's experience is going to vary

6 minutes ago, Rook said:

I do agree with that. Every time my Telus plan comes up for renewal I simply tell them I will be switching to Rogers unless I am able to keep the same rates. This usually works unless Rogers also bumps up their rates. 

I never suggested that cell phones rates haven’t dropped at all. But the tweet from Trudeau saying that prices have come down due to increased competition is blatantly false. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I've been with fido for almost 10 years now and my bill has only gone up every 2 years, so I believe everyone's experience is going to vary

Take some ownership, exercise your consumer power 🤷 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I do agree with that. Every time my Telus plan comes up for renewal I simply tell them I will be switching to Rogers unless I am able to keep the same rates. This usually works unless Rogers also bumps up their rates. 

I never suggested that cell phones rates haven’t dropped at all. But the tweet from Trudeau saying that prices have come down due to increased competition is blatantly false. 

You seem to conflating 'increased competition' with 'increased competitors'.

These are not the same thing.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

You seem to conflating 'increased competition' with 'increased competitors'.

These are not the same thing.

Exactly.  The key question here is to ask "Why is Telus willing to give me a price that meets or beats their competitor"? 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Exactly.  The key question here is to ask "Why is Telus willing to give me a price that meets or beats their competitor"? 

Matching pricing isn’t lowering costs by 50% though. The only way to truly do that is to open the telecommunications network to other providers. They tried to do that in the past and Telus and Rogers simply bought everyone out. Or they refused to let them use their networks. It was a big joke actually. 

You add 3-4 big new telecom players in Canada and prices will easily drop 30-40%. But it’s not possible to do that anymore because the smaller companies would be forced to use the infrastructure of the big 3 providers. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Matching pricing isn’t lowering costs by 50% though. The only way to truly do that is to open the telecommunications network to other providers. They tried to do that in the past and Telus and Rogers simply bought everyone out. Or they refused to let them use their networks. It was a big joke actually. 

You add 3-4 big new telecom players in Canada and prices will easily drop 30-40%. But it’s not possible to do that anymore because the smaller companies would be forced to use the infrastructure of the big 3 providers. 

3-4 new telecom players wouldn't have the economies of scale to be able to deliver lower prices.  You might get somewhere with an American provider being allowed to come up here, but that brings another set of issues.  The threat of that is a nice stick to be able to wield in order to pressure the incumbents to not go too far with their efforts to extort Canadians.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

3-4 new telecom players wouldn't have the economies of scale to be able to deliver lower prices.  You might get somewhere with an American provider being allowed to come up here, but that brings another set of issues.  The threat of that is a nice stick to be able to wield in order to pressure the incumbents to not go too far with their efforts to extort Canadians.

Didn’t Verizon want to come to Canada?  A big player like that would definitely change the market. But CRTC would never approve of it. 

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

The system is skewed for people that bitch and moan to the loyalty department for a couple hours every 2 years, its ridiculous that is what needs to be done to get a deal these days.. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

The system is skewed for people that bitch and moan to the loyalty department for a couple hours every 2 years, its ridiculous that is what needs to be done to get a deal these days.. 

Or just switch providers. They're all the same anyway 😂

Just now, aGENT said:

Or just switch providers. They're all the same anyway 😂

Different degrees of bad in my experience.  I haven't had to have a lawyer contact Telus in order to follow their own contract.  I can't say the same about Robbers.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

If PP is elected, will all the lefties huddle in the town square and scream until their throats bleed?

Asking for a friend.

if he is elected he will be held to the same standards trudeau is.  He will be responsible for the same thigns.

The bigger question, is will todays conservatives be ok if leftists march on ottawa and demand his government be overthrown and him removed because they dont like him?  Will they be ok if leftists shut down border crossings because they don't like the election results?  Will they be alright if people roll around with fuck Poiliverre flags everywhere and threaten his safety online and in person?

Asking for a friend

• ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Sapper said:

Would you rather they followed PP's followers example and did the following 

*Fly F*CK PP flags 

* Call for the execution of PP for treason

*Steal the national flag and use it for our clan colors? Upside down of course 

*Declare our followers Canadas only true Patriots

*Declare the RCMP a disgrace 

*Call on the military and police to overthrow PP as it's their duty under the constitution 

*Post that we need civil war to rid the tryanny 

*Hold rallies to block and impede anyone not supporting us

..... OR should we be you know ... Not bat shit crazy and work to win the next election ?

Asking for a friend .... Of course 

damn beat me to it