Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

45 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Different degrees of bad in my experience.  I haven't had to have a lawyer contact Telus in order to follow their own contract.  I can't say the same about Robbers.

Yeah, they're all some level/version of bad with their varying good/bad points. So maybe "same" isn't the right word. Let's go with "equivalently bad in differing ways". 😂

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Not trying to own anyone if I can avoid it.  Just like the truth to shine through the bs

Own may have been a poor choice of words.. take to task, or schooling would have been better 🙂

I only have second-hand information on this--heard it from my Dad who saw an article on TV--but apparently the NDP might not be supporting the budget, namely for the woefully inadequate disability benefit included. So we could be seeing the government fall.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

The system is skewed for people that bitch and moan to the loyalty department for a couple hours every 2 years, its ridiculous that is what needs to be done to get a deal these days.. 

Usually isn't that like that anymore.  Called and said I wanted to switch providers (verbatim), and the dude offered me more data for cheaper.  Okay, cool.  Done.  Whole thing took 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

They did

Backed out in 2013

Trudeaus fault

https://globalnews.ca/news/815117/verizon-loses-interest-in-canadian-expansion

There is a line in that article that even the best comedians couldn't keep a straight face lol

Global news refers to our conservatives as consumer based and going up against big business lmao

Global news was partaking in some wacky tobaccy when they wrote that 

21 minutes ago, 112 said:

I only have second-hand information on this--heard it from my Dad who saw an article on TV--but apparently the NDP might not be supporting the budget, namely for the woefully inadequate disability benefit included. So we could be seeing the government fall.

Jagmeet has to wait until January 2025 to be eligible for his pension. He likes to huff and puff but never actually holds Trudeau to account. I hope I'm wrong though 

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yup, wife and I are also paying about $5-$10 less per phone with about 10X the data vs a few years ago. Anecdotally it sure seems like more value/$. Though I wouldn't complain about more competition there either. I'm sure @Miss Korea could probably also find some hard data on wireless costs over the last ~5 years as well 😛

To correct for the part of the bill that was paying off the phones, I will take the year after we paid off the phones but before we got new phones and compare that to this year: also a year with no new phones to pay for in the bill:

Wife $70 bucks, Me $70 bucks - 2020 (from memory Wife had 12 gigs and I had 5 gigs on our separate accounts

Wife $61 bucks, Me $56 bucks - 2024 (unlimited gigs)

Wife is saving 9 dollars or to put it another way she paid 15% more in 2020 for a limited number of gigs than todays unlimited gigs of data.

I am saving 14 dollars or to put it another way, I paid 25% more in 2020 for a very small number of gigs than todays unlimited gigs of data. 

And we have 5G phones as our 2021 buyins were for top of the line Samsungs that featured early 5G adoption. Now today that is paying off as we have that level of service here. We also tend to keep our phones on average over 5 years per phone. Funny enough, i keep my eye on the best deals of the year and my wife drags her feet on going in, thus her charges are never peak savings...like ten days after I find and get a good deal she wanders into the dealer and gets the second best deal. Picard Face Palm. 

38 minutes ago, 112 said:

The Conservatives, Bloc Québécois and the Green Party have all stated they will vote against the budget. The NDP have not committed as of yet. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When the Conservatives come into power I have a sneaky suspicion you won’t be as cheeky as you are now. 

Do expand on what you mean by that if you would be so kind.

Meanwhile, you said verizon wanted to come to canada but didn't.  That's right.  It was back in 2013.  Why is that truth met with such a response?

Edited by Warhippy
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m still waiting for you to list all of the telecommunication companies that entered the Canadian market since 2019 as per Trudeau’s tweet. 

Here mate,

Fill yer boots.  But do remember, a tweet is not in fact an act of law, and that the CRTC acts very much on its own still.

https://www.planhub.ca/companies

https://www.f6s.com/companies/telecom/canada/co

• ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m still waiting for you to list all of the telecommunication companies that entered the Canadian market since 2019 as per Trudeau’s tweet. 

Do your own research, you will learn a lot more than getting spoon fed all the facts

20 minutes ago, Rook said:

Do your own research, you will learn a lot more than getting spoon fed all the facts

It's a discussion forum and people should be able to back up their points with sources if requested.

Although I do think it's in the verbiage as another poster mentioned: increased competition vs. increase competitors. Still, that's misleading for Trudeau to say.

• Cheers 2

Just now, 112 said:

It's a discussion forum and people should be able to back up their points with sources if requested.

Although I do think it's in the verbiage as another poster mentioned: increased competition vs. increase competitors. Still, that's misleading for Trudeau to say.

Yeah I don’t engage in semantics, I never made the point he’s arguing either someone else did.  He doesn’t even realize that changes were made in 2023.   

41 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Here mate,

Fill yer boots.  But do remember, a tweet is not in fact an act of law, and that the CRTC acts very much on its own still.

Approximately 90% of Canadian mobile phone users subscribe to one of the four largest national telecommunication companies (Rogers Wireless, Bell Mobility, Freedom Mobile and Telus Mobility) or one of their subsidiary brands.

So the extra 10% of the telecom industry is responsible for lowering the cost of cell phone plans by 50% since 2019?

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Here mate,

- The Canadian government prevented the Rogers/Shaw merger from including Freedom Mobile Services which were then transferred to Videotron out of Quebec. 
- Set out competition rules for the 600 MHz band width auction that let to regional providers doubling their share of the low band spectrum

- Reserved 50 MHz in the 3500 MHz spectrum auction for regional carriers

- Regulated roaming rates through the CRTC to help small and regional telecom companies compete

https://www.canada.ca/en/innovation-science-economic-development/news/2023/03/statement-from-minister-champagne-concerning-competition-in-the-telecommunication-sector.html

March 31, 2023 – Ottawa, Ontario

Today, the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry, issued the following statement:

“Since the proposed merger between Rogers and Shaw was announced, I have been very clear: affordability and competition are central to any decision I make in my role as Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry.

“That’s why last October, I officially denied the request to transfer Shaw’s wireless spectrum licences - held by their subsidiary, Freedom Mobile—to Rogers. At the time, I also outlined my expectations for the separate proposed transfer of Freedom Mobile’s spectrum licences to Videotron.

“Since then, the Competition Bureau, the Competition Tribunal and the Federal Court of Appeal have all weighed in on the potential competitiveness a fourth national player could have on our telecom industry. 

“The evidence is clear: Having a strong fourth competitor does lead to lower prices, as we’ve seen in Atlantic provinces, Quebec, Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia. 

They have also delivered on reducing cellular fees -

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/falling-telecom-prices-a-positive-sign-but-phone-bills-still-too-expensive-experts-1.6486186#:~:text=Consumers paid 14.7 per cent less for cellular,per cent in June from a year ago.

TORONTO -- A price drop for Canadian phone and internet services last month has some observers optimistic about the downward trend, but industry watchers say there is still a long way to go when it comes to telecom affordability.

Consumers paid 14.7 per cent less for cellular services in June compared with the same month last year, following an 8.2 per cent decline in May, according to Statistics Canada's latest inflation report released Tuesday.

Overall, the cost of telephone services dropped 11.1 per cent in June from a year ago. Statistics Canada attributed more affordable phone bills to both lower prices for cellular data plans and promotional pricing.

11 hours ago, Sapper said:

We have 3 on my Rogers and are all heavy data users ... We get full value for our data plans

Im with rogers and  2 years ago we had a 75gb data pool for 79.99 on my account and 69.99 on my wife and sons 

Yes we use the device purchase which adds to that ( every second year at Xmas at Costco for the best price )

Today still with rogers and my combined pool is 325gb and I pay 69.99 for my plan and 5O for my wife's and my son's 

2 years ago it was 220 for 3 lines and 75gb

Today it's 170 for three lines and 325gb data 

I still want more savings but it's moving in the right direction 

Rogers keeps sending me an offer for unlimited data for $45/mo. Throttled back after 100gb. I get 11gb for $35 and I've never used more than 4 so there's no benefit for me. 

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

if he is elected he will be held to the same standards trudeau is.  He will be responsible for the same thigns.

The bigger question, is will todays conservatives be ok if leftists march on ottawa and demand his government be overthrown and him removed because they dont like him?  Will they be ok if leftists shut down border crossings because they don't like the election results?  Will they be alright if people roll around with fuck Poiliverre flags everywhere and threaten his safety online and in person?

Asking for a friend

I don't know about you guys but I'm ready to defecate on the steps of parliament if Pierre gets in, cause that's how you get shit done, I tell you what. 

• ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t think it needs expanding really. 

A response like this usually means one of two things:

1) You don't really have any idea

2) You know that the answer is grossly offensive in some way

Could you at least tell us which of the two your answer falls under? Or are you waiting for your next dinner party so you can get the answer?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, StrayDog said:

A response like this usually means one of two things:

1) You don't really have any idea

2) You know that the answer is grossly offensive in some way

Could you at least tell us which of the two your answer falls under? Or are you waiting for your next dinner party so you can get the answer?

Grossly offensive?  I don’t even have a clue what the fuck you are talking about. Warhippy made his usual cheeky comment that everything is Trudeau’s fault. I said you won’t be saying that when PP is in power. What exactly is grossly offensive about that?  🤣

As for the dinner party response, that schtick is getting old. You really need to find some new material. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson