Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm OK with the spending as long as the GDP at minimum keeps pace and hopefully exceeds it by a lot. At some point soon we have to get back to a balanced budget, that 40 billion dollar + debt service is scary stuff. Its going to be a runaway beast in a few years.

We'll see a bump with TMX. Apparently analysts were surprised that oil should start flowing in May, so its possible the GDP numbers aren't taking that into account.

I don't see what other major energy deals PP could help foster tho? isn't AB pretty much at capacity for what the US wants from us?

TMX will narrow the spread on Western Sedimentary and WTI pricing. That will benefit Canada. LNG Canada comes on stream next year. Phase 2 would double that site's capacity. There are a couple other sites in the works. Oil production can be increased. If Trump is elected will he restart Keystone XL? I don't trust Trump and would prefer Canada chart a more independent energy industry. Engage First Nations and make them partners in any new projects that take energy to tidewater. Including exports from Churchill and Tuk. Maybe Alaska would be interested. LNG, Oil and hydrogen. I just don't see offshore drilling on the BC coast as an option. 

On the tech side we need a strategy for monetizing tech discoveries coming out of Canadian universities. So many young companies leave for the USA. Unfortunately the recent budget won't help as many young entrepreneurs are bonused stock. This is why open discussion is so important.  

Just now, Boudrias said:

TMX will narrow the spread on Western Sedimentary and WTI pricing. That will benefit Canada. LNG Canada comes on stream next year. Phase 2 would double that site's capacity. There are a couple other sites in the works. Oil production can be increased. If Trump is elected will he restart Keystone XL? I don't trust Trump and would prefer Canada chart a more independent energy industry. Engage First Nations and make them partners in any new projects that take energy to tidewater. Including exports from Churchill and Tuk. Maybe Alaska would be interested. LNG, Oil and hydrogen. I just don't see offshore drilling on the BC coast as an option. 

agreed on all this. 

Just now, Boudrias said:

On the tech side we need a strategy for monetizing tech discoveries coming out of Canadian universities. So many young companies leave for the USA. Unfortunately the recent budget won't help as many young entrepreneurs are bonused stock. This is why open discussion is so important.  

preaching to the choir here. My wife was heavily involved in this for her academic career, saw opportunity after opporentiuty given away for nothing. 

On 4/20/2024 at 11:13 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

You are correct. Between $50 car washes and $60 steaks I am at my wits end. Trudeau’s inflation is killing me really. I don’t think I will ever recover. 

At least I’m not a Blue Jays fan and have to pay $30 for a hot dog and $18 for a coke. That would have driven me over the edge really. 

You sound incredibly entitled  and spoiled with no clue  how average Canadian lives.. 

If you need a $50 car wash and an $80 steak you have a spending problem.

Unless you were being sarcastic.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What about being a Progressive Conservative? 

As I said recently, that would be welcome. Thing is, it'd likely require another conservative party stepping into the mix, which I think would be great. 

It'd be nice if there were something between today's liberals and today's conservatives, more than likely a lot of conservatives lean more center than the current conservative party on various matters but lack a viable voting option that reflects that. 

One can be fiscally conservative without the modern day social conservative aspect, but a lot of folks like that will still vote for the current conservatives. That being said, one doesn't have to lean conservative fiscally to understand the money matters. 

I thought there was talk within the last couple years or maybe another conservative party stepping into the mix. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Hard choices I am afraid. When politicians spend money they don't have it covers up for the hard choices they didn't make. If Revenue and Expenditure does not match it means the excess spending is being charged against future generations. If the decision is to tax business and high income earners then so be it. But this happens without a serious debate. I am not saying it would with the CPC either. Until this country starts having those types of discussions we are in a descending spiral. The tax hikes in the budget might slow the speed of the spiral but that is all. 

On the revenue side what I read is that Canada's GDP will be flatlining into the future. The only goose I see is if the CPC pulls out the stops on energy production. You say PP has no plans. I suggest that he tries energy, at least that is what he talks about. If he can bump GDP to 2% ( the USA is + 3% ) it will generate a lot of income. I am not optimistic no matter who is running things. I had to laugh I saw the head of Bloomberg's investment fund advocating for a carbon tax on gasoline of 50 cents per gallon. That would sound like chicken feed up here. 

It's not actually an affordable problem ... It's how we spend it problem 

Conservatives off the top give corporate tax cuts and incentives and when they are done there isn't enough left over for the rest of us and the social programs. Conservatives then tell us it's for our own good and cut cut cut.  It's a form of stealth taxing. Gordon Campbell did it masterfully. He cut taxes especially for business and then doubled the msp and added user fees for everything. He then said there wasn't enough money for workers so ripped up health contracts and did historic mass contracting out and lay offs

Most people at the end of the month had less left in their pockets but it wasn't called a tax so were very happy with the stealth tax and smiled as he picked their pockets clean

Federal liberals are running debts just like every government in the world is .... No one is spared 

Under both libs and cons it's money and or services being taken from you ..... We can call it a tax or slap lipstick on that pig and call it the Patriotic freedom fighters .... But it's still a form of taxation 

We need governments to reverse the spending order 

First before giving anything back to business collect the taxes !!!?!

second before handing it back to business fund the social programs and services and then decide how to give back to business what's left .... 

Poof ... Deficits under better control lol 

City News Apr 18th 2024
The federal health minister is accusing Pierre Poilievre of spreading ‘lies’ after the Conservative leader claimed to CityNews the government’s legislation on pharmacare would ban workplace health coverage.

Bill C-64 contains no specific measures to regulate private medical insurance options, and the Trudeau government was quick to push back with federal Health Minister Mark Holland calling Poilievre’s comments “nonsense fearmongering.”

“It’s bad enough that Pierre Poilievre wants to block women from getting access to universal contraceptives or stop diabetes patients from getting the medication they need, that’s fine if you want to vote against that. But spreading what are out and out lies and misinformation is reckless and totally irresponsible,” Holland tells CityNews.

Minister Holland argues the public program will complement private insurance.

“You’re going to have a choice. If you want to get your universal contraceptives and use your private insurance plan, go for it, no problem,” Holland says. “But if you’re someone who doesn’t have insurance or is underinsured and you want to use a public program that we’re going to work with provinces and territories to create, you’re going to have that option.”

“It’s the dishonesty, to me, that is so reprehensible,” says Holland. “If you’re against it and you don’t believe that we should cover people and you don’t believe people should get the medicine or the oral health they need, then have the courage of your convictions and be honest about what your arguments are.”

The pharmacare legislation is currently at second reading in the House of Commons.
  • Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

But they did got a long time. A person can be both progressive (social safety net) in some ways and Conservative in others (fiscally)

Sad part is that is where I use to park my vote .... Many years ago

That spot was called the middle ..  which is long gone in Canada.

With both parties taking that pendulum and bending it as far as they can the natural consequences is always seeing it race back the other way each change of government 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

You sound incredibly entitled  and spoiled with no clue  how average Canadian lives.. 

If you need a $50 car wash and an $80 steak you have a spending problem.

Unless you were being sarcastic.

My car wash has a lineup around the block. You need a reservation to get into the Keg because most nights it’s packed full. So I guess there are a lot of people like me with a spending problem. 

Not everyone washes their own car and cooks their own food every night. If they did thousands of people would be unemployed and we would be in a massive recession. 

The whole point is to have a thriving economy where people can spend their money and enjoy life. If you need to save every penny you make just to make ends meet then that isn’t really capitalism. And that isn’t really the life we are supposed to be living. That’s not how it was when I was younger. The younger generation aren’t happy with the current situation. Which is why they want change. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My car wash has a lineup around the block. You need a reservation to get into the Keg because most nights it’s packed full. So I guess there are a lot of people like me with a spending problem. 

Not everyone washes their own car and cooks their own food every night. If they did thousands of people would be unemployed and we would be in a massive recession. 

The whole point is to have a thriving economy where people can spend their money and enjoy life. If you need to save every penny you make just to make ends meet then that isn’t really capitalism. And that isn’t really the life we are supposed to be living. That’s not how it was when I was younger. The younger generation aren’t happy with the current situation. Which is why they want change. 

Ironically when we were younger we did cook our own meals and wash our own cars. There were only a couple restaurants (family owned; not some big chain) and going out was a treat. And everyone washed their own car. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Again entitled who has no clue.  You do realize not everyone makes good money right?  So the economy is thriving?  I thought it sucked according to you.  And for the record we can afford all the things you talk about but I would rather support smaller businesses.  The Keg is not a small local place.

You probably don't go to those.

Too lower class for you.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

He has no clue.

Kind of sounds like the old Ronny Ray Gun “trickle down” economics. Most people don’t have a lot of extra money to “trickle down”. They are mostly at the end of the hose. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Again entitled who has no clue.  You do realize not everyone makes good money right?  So the economy is thriving?  I thought it sucked according to you.  And for the record we can afford all the things you talk about but I would rather support smaller businesses.  The Keg is not a small local place.

You probably don't go to those.

Too lower class for you.

Says the guy who wishes death upon a mentally ill person. 

You should probably look in the mirror before you judge another human being. 

Also, my car wash is literally a local business, so again you have no clue what you are even saying if you think I don’t support small local businesses. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Ironically when we were younger we did cook our own meals and wash our own cars. There were only a couple restaurants (family owned; not some big chain) and going out was a treat. And everyone washed their own car. 

Things were a little different in the 1960’s. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Things were a little different in the 1960’s. 

Was the same in the 80’s-2010’s this, I need everyone to do my work for me, is a new idea! Don't get me wrong I don’t wash mine anymore, and enjoy a 60 dollar steak, but I don’t claim to support local then l, eat at the keg 😂 

1 hour ago, Rook said:

Was the same in the 80’s-2010’s this, I need everyone to do my work for me, is a new idea! Don't get me wrong I don’t wash mine anymore, and enjoy a 60 dollar steak, but I don’t claim to support local then l, eat at the keg 😂 

You do realize there is more to eating than steak right?  Imagine how criminal it is for a human being to want to enjoy a nice steak at the keg.  🤣

FYI, there are lots of local sushi bars and pasta places that I enjoy to eat around town.  But thanks for the laugh…

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You do realize there is more to eating than steak right?  Imagine how criminal it is for a human being to want to enjoy a nice steak at the keg.  🤣

FYI, there are lots of local sushi bars and pasta places that I enjoy to eat around town.  But thanks for the laugh…

You are not poor.  You are VERY rich.  But you are also really cheap.  You can afford a fucking steak and car wash without having to whine about it.  You are quite literally in the top 5% of earners in this country, minimum.

9 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You are not poor.  You are VERY rich.  But you are also really cheap.  You can afford a fucking steak and car wash without having to whine about it.  You are quite literally in the top 5% of earners in this country, minimum.

🤣  Okay, if you say so…

12 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I'm half expecting him to say "let them eat cake".

• ThereItIs 1