Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The ‘Keg’ is for The Plebs. 

Sorry. 

Just being honest.

It's the McDonalds of steakhouses for sure, but steak is a luxury in itself these days. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DSVII said:

It's the McDonalds of steakhouses for sure, but steak is a luxury in itself these days. 

Luxury isn’t a necessity. 

Sometimes it’s ‘Canadian’ to make due and be humble, and then excel beyond expectations. 

These are ‘our’ roots. 

• Like 2

It feels like ‘we’ aren’t helping ‘others’ how to be ‘Canadian’ 

Is it fear?

What’s the hesitancy?

Are ‘we’ in our own bubble?

Being ‘Canadian’ means making people like ‘our’ own while respecting them. 

How hard is this shit? 

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Prices in Hawaii should be a lot higher than Vancouver, its an island in the middle of the ocean. Its 4000kms from LA for reference.

The locals are calling bs as prices never dropped after Covid. Strange coincidence. Why is gas cheaper at Costco here, than it is in Greater Vancouver Costco’s? Just filled up at $4.19 per gallon, a hell of a lot cheaper than home. In fact the price at Costco is 60 cents a gallon cheaper than Chevron, Texaco, etc. at home if we get a discount from Costco at 5 cents we’re damn lucky. There is no supply chain issues here, it’s called gouging. 

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

when I was really into it, we would buy a full beef tenderloin from Costco and make awesome steaks from that. Was really affordable, I think they ran about $120 but you can feed 12 people off that thing easily. 

As a former meatcutter, the only issue with buying tenderloin, strip loin, standing ribs, pork loin cuts and top sirloin, there is a bit of invisible waste, fat and trimmings. Ie: when you buy the cryovac product. 

13 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

As a former meatcutter, the only issue with buying tenderloin, strip loin, standing ribs, pork loin cuts and top sirloin, there is a bit of invisible waste, fat and trimmings. Ie: when you buy the cryovac product. 

Good point, there isn't much to do but remove the silver skin stuff.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

It feels like ‘we’ aren’t helping ‘others’ how to be ‘Canadian’ 

Is it fear?

What’s the hesitancy?

Are ‘we’ in our own bubble?

Being ‘Canadian’ means making people like ‘our’ own while respecting them. 

How hard is this shit? 

My kids had three sets of great grandparents that did it, the other set were from here.  They all exemplified what being a Canadian was about.  I think that’s what folks refer to “in the good old days”. Was a harder time, but also more simple, and family values were deeply engrained. I think as Canadians, all things considered, have it pretty good. 

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Best radio call ever 

Let us know when you have a link!  I’m watching Juice and gushing 😂 love that we get to see him nightly again!

12 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

The locals are calling bs as prices never dropped after Covid. Strange coincidence. Why is gas cheaper at Costco here, than it is in Greater Vancouver Costco’s? Just filled up at $4.19 per gallon, a hell of a lot cheaper than home. In fact the price at Costco is 60 cents a gallon cheaper than Chevron, Texaco, etc. at home if we get a discount from Costco at 5 cents we’re damn lucky. There is no supply chain issues here, it’s called gouging. 

Convenient catch all, gouging.  Do you know how Costco buys their gas? I doubt it. Do they use a forward contracts buying strategy. They probably do. Are they subject to minimum/maximum purchase volumes at respective refineries? They probably are. How did seasonal volume availability impact their lifting from particular sites? I suggest you know little of this and using the standardized branding of 'gouging' is a gross oversimplification. Popular with the Singh school of economics.  

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Convenient catch all, gouging.  Do you know how Costco buys their gas? I doubt it. Do they use a forward contracts buying strategy. They probably do. Are they subject to minimum/maximum purchase volumes at respective refineries? They probably are. How did seasonal volume availability impact their lifting from particular sites? I suggest you know little of this and using the standardized branding of 'gouging' is a gross oversimplification.

When your business was at its best, what was your margin on fuel?

Popular with the Singh school of economics.  

😆

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

When your business was at its best, what was your margin on fuel?

😆

At retail my best year was likely 4.1 cents per litre, my worst was 2.8 cents per litre. These figures included a cross lease (that allowed the company sign on my property) which was 1.5 cents per litre. Politicians like to use the oil companies as a focus. As I have always said if they were serious about competition they would make all gas sales to dealers fob the load racks that supply the gas stations. In the Kootenays that is Calgary. The pricing on these load racks are public or they were when I was involved. The dealers would contract delivery of gas to their sites. This is how things are ran down south. 

On the wholesale side my revenue was thru two streams; a) Commission: Usually 1.5 cents per litre but it depended on distance the fuel was hauled. b) Buy/Sell where my margin was set by market pricing. Usually the margin was 2.5 cents as the volumes were smaller and deliveries irregular.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

At retail my best year was likely 4.1 cents per litre, my worst was 2.8 cents per litre. These figures included a cross lease (that allowed the company sign on my property) which was 1.5 cents per litre. Politicians like to use the oil companies as a focus. As I have always said if they were serious about competition they would make all gas sales to dealers fob the load racks that supply the gas stations. In the Kootenays that is Calgary. The pricing on these load racks are public or they were when I was involved. The dealers would contract delivery of gas to their sites. This is how things are ran down south. 

On the wholesale side my revenue was thru two streams; a) Commission: Usually 1.5 cents per litre but it depended on distance the fuel was hauled. b) Buy/Sell where my margin was set by market pricing. Usually the margin was 2.5 cents as the volumes were smaller and deliveries irregular.  

good info for folks that blame the individual stations for pricing. 

31 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

good info for folks that blame the individual stations for pricing. 

I have no idea what margins gas stations are getting now. I suspect better margins considering how many stations have disappeared. My station was doing a shade over 2 million litres and had the highest volume in town, or close to it. At 2.8 cents that was a gross profit of $56,000, at 4.1 cents a gross profit $82,000.

From that I had to pay labor ( Half the pumps were full serve ), utility costs, property tax and depreciation on the pumps and tanks. Yes, I had a C-store which was the only way to keep the doors open. It wasn't enough for me to stick around so I sold. 

Imagine the dealers today who know the government wants them out of business. They have to repurpose their offer and in the process write off their pumps and tanks and pay for their remediation and removal. Many won't find buyers if they want to sell. Maybe the real estate will be worth something but I bet it will be less than what they bought at. If you look at the main streets of small down Canada I would bet the small businesses are not making money.  

Politicians like to use the oil companies as a focus. 

To be fair, gas stations aren't "oil companies". The problem is very much upstream of gas station owners (though some of them certainly are shady as well). People, politicians included are right to focus on oil companies.

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I'd rather see a (partial) exemption or something for doctors.

Edited by aGENT