Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Convenient catch all, gouging.  Do you know how Costco buys their gas? I doubt it. Do they use a forward contracts buying strategy. They probably do. Are they subject to minimum/maximum purchase volumes at respective refineries? They probably are. How did seasonal volume availability impact their lifting from particular sites? I suggest you know little of this and using the standardized branding of 'gouging' is a gross oversimplification. Popular with the Singh school of economics.  

When gas prices in Honolulu are cheaper than Seattle, I call gouging. 5 million people in Seattle, approximately 1 million in the entire population of Hawaii. I’m not familiar with gas prices at the Chevrons or Shell in Seattle but I suspect they are close to the same as those here in Honolulu. It takes over 4 days to barge it here too! As in the greater Vancouver region, we pay close to 30 cents a litre higher than the Interior does. Approximately 3 million people to say the Okanagan, 500k or thereabouts. If that isn’t gouging, what is? I’m not calling out the stations, I’m calling out the oil companies.

Edited by Johngould21

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trudeau announces $5B-loan guarantee program for Indigenous communities

https://www.cheknews.ca/trudeau-announces-5b-loan-guarantee-program-for-indigenous-communities-1200697/

love to see it. Stakes in projects like this are the way forward imo. We can't hope to just write a cheque to right the wrongs, but at least we can ensure full participation in economic projects going forward. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

When gas prices in Honolulu are cheaper than Seattle, I call gouging. 5 million people in Seattle, approximately 1 million in the entire population of Hawaii. I’m not familiar with gas prices at the Chevrons or Shell in Seattle but I suspect they are close to the same as those here in Honolulu. It takes over 4 days to barge it here too! As in the greater Vancouver region, we pay close to 30 cents a litre higher than the Interior does. Approximately 3 million people to say the Okanagan, 500k or thereabouts. If that isn’t gouging, what is? I’m not calling out the stations, I’m calling out the oil companies.

Local taxes play a huge part in the difference in gas prices. The difference between Vancouver and Hope/Okanagan is essentially just taxes.

• ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Local taxes play a huge part in the difference in gas prices. The difference between Vancouver and Hope/Okanagan is essentially just taxes.

We have a 15 cent per litre tax to help fund transit, along with all the other taxes.

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

We have a 15 cent per litre tax to help fund transit, along with all the other taxes.

I noticed that when over to the coast a few years back. No transit tax in Abby and cheaper to gas up there compared to Metro Vancouver.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

maybe its f*uck Trudeau as in, good job buddy, get over here for a quickie?

The Mrs and I have it down to a science, we hear its called 'hallway sex'. We occassionally pass each other in the hallway and say "fuck you", "no, fuck you" in passing. Used to do it doggy style. I would sit up and beg, she would roll over and play dead. 

not my material, but happy to retell it. 

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Add that 15 cents per litre to the Hope/Okanagan price, it isn’t what we pay! I just checked prices in Kelowna and Burnaby. Kelowna 174.9, Burnaby lowest price was 195.9 to 199.9. Gouging!

Edited by Johngould21

28 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Add that 15 cents per litre to the Hope/Okanagan price, it isn’t what we pay! I just checked prices in Kelowna and Burnaby. Kelowna 174.9, Burnaby lowest price was 195.9 to 199.9. Gouging

Filled up last night in Chilliwack at 174.9 and this afternoon in Kamloops at 184.9

4 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

At least he's not hiding it anymore 

PP's supporters are bailing his visit as proof that PP is one of them in every measure 

from Alex Jones to his visit to the axe the tax encampment to praise the F-Trudeau flags and encourage them to keep it up PP has reached critical mass where he feels safe shining his hate for the world to see .... This is his vision of a new world order kinda like colonial 1700's religious rule ..... At least they aren't hiding it or pretending to give a crap anymore 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Sapper said:

At least he's not hiding it anymore 

PP's supporters are bailing his visit as proof that PP is one of them in every measure 

from Alex Jones to his visit to the axe the tax encampment to praise the F-Trudeau flags and encourage them to keep it up PP has reached critical mass where he feels safe shining his hate for the world to see .... This is his vision of a new world order kinda like colonial 1700's religious rule ..... At least they aren't hiding it or pretending to give a crap anymore 

I hope people are bailing, he's happy to encourage extremists.