Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Sapper said:

In 1975 Archie Bunker did a black face episode that didn't get criticized 

Times have changed for the better for sure .... Not sure when society finally said that was never ok .... Maybe 90's ?

Google shows UK ending it on tv by 1980 and In north America it only has a few instances on tv through the 80's and all but gone by 1990

Truduea was 2001 when he did blackface ... Years after media had stopped using it on media ...he should have known better 

You are probably right, but let’s be honest, we’ve all done stupid things we regret when we were young.  If this is something they try to weaponize against him, it shows how thin their arguments are

1 hour ago, top shelf peanut butter said:

It's fine, I wouldn't want to interrupt your defense of blackfacing anyway, more rope to hang yourself or such 

So what do you think is an appropriate punishment? Ffs you're acting like he's murdered someone.

3 hours ago, Sapper said:

PP has officially supported a known hate group calling for civil war ..... Among other things

If you condone that behaviour I have zero left that warrants further comment to you.

“Officially supported?”  Please clarify your comment. Is it in writing somewhere?

3 hours ago, Satchmo said:

I can see hypocrisy when it exists.   All I did was use the same name the OP used.   I suspect he may easily be confused and I wanted to be clear who I was referring to.

I think you are fishing Mr. Salmon.

Everyone knows you were referring to Trump. So you didn’t have to call him Dotard. But you did it anyways. I personally don’t care what you call him. But don’t go around calling out others for using stupid nicknames when you literally just did it yourself. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Everyone knows you were referring to Trump. So you didn’t have to call him Dotard. But you did it anyways. I personally don’t care what you call him. But don’t go around calling out others for using stupid nicknames when you literally just did it yourself. 

Chill.   When have you seen me ever use a derogatory name for anyone but Putin or Trump?  Both are fair game imo.

To repeat ad nauseum -  in this instance I just typed the same thing that had just been said by the person I was responding to. 

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

“Officially supported?”  Please clarify your comment. Is it in writing somewhere?

When PP went Into that trailer that displayed the symbol of a known hate group calling for civil war ....and given a chance to walk that back and condemn them and he doubled down and used it to ridicule .... Not walking it back .... Call it fully supported , call it embraced... Call it standing with ... It's all the same 

He made a choice and given a chance to walk it back didn't 

Heck even truduea apologized as weak as it was for blackface 

I don't support truduea ... But I really don't support hate. This is 1000x worse then a 20 years old blackface

It was a very bold statement of support for that hate group to praise them and meet with them and then when all facts are presented and not walking it back ..... Not someone id ever respect 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

So what do you think is an appropriate punishment? Ffs you're acting like he's murdered someone.

No punishment, just condemnation and mocking the 'holier than thou' crowd. It appears the objection is "the left" is quick to label "the right" as bigoted and racist like trying to link PP and his base with Trump and his base when Justin is the one actually doing the racist shit, and then his base defends him like "oh, it was a long time ago and it was "more accepted" then, who cares."

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Chill.   When have you seen me ever use a derogatory name for anyone but Putin or Trump?  Both are fair game imo.

To repeat ad nauseum -  in this instance I just typed the same thing that had just been said by the person I was responding to. 

Trump and Putin are fair game because you don't like them. At least now you're being honest 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TortorellasRant said:

No punishment, just condemnation and mocking the 'holier than thou' crowd. It appears the objection is "the left" is quick to label "the right" as bigoted and racist like trying to link PP and his base with Trump and his base when Justin is the one actually doing the racist shit, and then his base defends him like "oh, it was a long time ago and it was "more accepted" then, who cares."

But PP does do this stuff. Like last week.

• Vintage 1

How many times has Poilievre apologized for shit he's said?  Once?  Twice?  In his entire political career?  That's not something to brag about.  It takes true humility to be able to admit one's mistakes and that is the mark of a true leader.  Poilievre is a fucking slimebag piece of garbage who thinks apologizing is for weak, woke wackos.  Fuck him.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

How many times has Poilievre apologized for shit he's said?  Once?  Twice?  In his entire political career?  That's not something to brag about.  It takes true humility to be able to admit one's mistakes and that is the mark of a true leader.  Poilievre is a fucking slimebag piece of garbage who thinks apologizing is for weak, woke wackos.  Fuck him.

He's happy to pander to weirdo camps with white nationalism symbols and the worst of the anti-vaxxers.

And all his supporters in here can say is "but Aladdin :frantic:"

But the most telling thing is Poilievre not distancing himself from people like this.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, TortorellasRant said:

You do see how it's different though right? Making a mistake 20 years ago, when things like that weren't anywhere near as verboten, and he wasn't even in politics AND apologizing for it and setting a far better example in the present... is an entirely different situation to a sitting MP with PM aspirations actively meeting with/supporting white nationalists, people calling for civil war, and attacking human rights.

• Vintage 3

Just now, aGENT said:

You do see how it's different though right? Making a mistake 20 years ago, when things like that weren't anywhere near as verboten, and he wasn't even in politics AND apologizing for it and setting a far better example in the present... is an entirely different situation to a sitting MP with PM aspirations actively meeting with/supporting white nationalists, people calling for civil war, and attacking human rights.

I'm not sure they do, tbh. Or maybe don't want to. 

The F-Trudeau cult is in full froth at the moment. Nothing is out of the question as long as he's gone next election.

Oh btw, TMX started up this morning. 

• Cheers 1

So... we all know Trudeau hates oil, right?

The Trans Mountain pipeline runs about 1,000 kilometres from Edmonton to Burnaby, B.C. Along the way, it passes through communities big and small and crosses the territories of dozens of First Nations.

When the valves open and the oil starts flowing Wednesday, the newly twinned Trans Mountain pipeline will carry nearly 900,000 barrels of bitumen from producers in Alberta to tanker ships on the coast each and every day.

https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/features/living-with-trans-mountain

Alberta sets another record for oil production as Trans Mountain expansion opening looms

Output up 3% to 3.95 million barrels per day, the most ever recorded in February

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-february-oil-production-record-tmx-1.7162316

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

He even refused to apologize for using an ethnic slur while holding public office:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/tory-mp-defends-use-of-term-tar-baby-1.837347

If people want to pretend this piece of shit isn't racist, that says a lot about them.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

not reaching, just asking. It sounded like you had an issue with someone disliking Pooty. 

It's real simple. More than once satchmo said he was above petty name calling. Then a few days later he does the exact same thing,  but it's ok because they're "fair game". I was pointing that out. 

It's really not a big deal if someone calls Pierre "PeePee" or Freeland "The hobbit of Hyperinflation".   If they can't handle that then they shouldn't be politicians. 

10 hours ago, Spring Salmon said:

Trump and Putin are fair game because you don't like them. At least now you're being honest 

I'll be honest....

Certain people don't deserve to be treated with anything other than contempt. It's up to the individual to decide who those certain people are, but if it were a club, the two you mentioned would be charter members, IMHO....

6 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

It's real simple. More than once satchmo said he was above petty name calling. Then a few days later he does the exact same thing,  but it's ok because they're "fair game". I was pointing that out. 

It's really not a big deal if someone calls Pierre "PeePee" or Freeland "The hobbit of Hyperinflation".   If they can't handle that then they shouldn't be politicians. 

I can't believe this is such a big deal.

I do not accept the description of events that I 'more than once said I was above petty name calling'.

I do accept that I used the same term a poster used in my response to that poster.  Maybe I was putting more thought into my response than protecting my virtue.

I also accept that after a whole bunch of retorts I let it slip that I have no respect for Trump or Putin.   I make no apologies for that.   I think they are both dangerous scum.

And yes, it's really simple.  On that we can agree though perhaps not for the same reasons.