Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

43 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

I know it's a waste of my time to bother posting in here based on reading just this page, but sheesh. Criticizing PP for speaking with Canadians who are fed up with the absolute nonsense our Prime Minister is dishing out is a joke. Are you happy with the Carbon Tax, and if so, why? You do realize it has nothing to do with benefiting the environment, right? You do realize it's driving up food costs, right? You do realize it's creating more poverty and could lead to an economic crisis (inflation and Canadian debt already at levels beyond what broke the US economy back in 2008) right? Morons.

You have to read more than just the last page for the answers to your questions.

33 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

This is crazy. Basically everything you said is incorrect. He does not support "diagolon" or other hate groups. I have never heard him preach hating anybody. He said he doesn't follow Alex Jones, so there you go. This is just complete nonsense from a desperate liberal gov and media, and I see it's working

Your really deep in the cult not to recognize his hate farming

If he doesn't support diagolon or alex.jones all.he needed to do was say so. Just saying he doesn't follow jones but not declining that endorsement speaks volumes 

PP is free to say what he wants - still doesn't make it true or correct 

His interview today he kept repeating that he is the common sense leader who will axe the tax and build the homes and repeated common sense again and again ..... No plan ... No details at all. You try telling your boss your plan is common sense .... See how that goes 

PP chose to attend a protest where his followers fly F trudeau flags and openly call for the jailing of  political opponents and the death penalty for Trudeau. The same protesters are also demanding anti LGBTQ and trans laws to strip education and rights 

PP knew that ... Saw that and went to stand with them in solidarity and to tell them to keep up the fight 

How can a reasonable person see that as anything but hate farming ?

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Basically you always say anyone protesting Trudeau is far right or weirdos.  When in reality they're just normal people fed up with this government 

Protesting truduea and his policies is a democratic right 

Protesting calling for the forced removal of , jailing of and or execution of any political leader is extremist behavior that is anything but democratic or responsible

If the protesters stuck to protesting his policies ud support them and their right to peaceful protests. PP attends these protests where those extremist views are paraded ... That's a problem 

PP is a master hate farmer.

We are teaching our kids to say fuck ( name of any politician you dislike ) and fly the flag in the open.... That's now socially acceptable behavior and langauge 

We are teaching our kids that the Canadian democracy includes those who wish to start civil.wars , jail political leaders they don't like and call for the execution of the same

Several.far right leaders have called on them to turn down the volume ( Kenney , O'Toole , Mulruney ) to no success

Try flying a f PP flag. In many parts of western Canada you would be risking assault and definately property damage. But F truduea crowd knows although we disagree with how far to the right they're gone .... We at least still have respect for proper decorum and the law

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

This is crazy. Basically everything you said is incorrect. He does not support "diagolon" or other hate groups. I have never heard him preach hating anybody. He said he doesn't follow Alex Jones, so there you go. This is just complete nonsense from a desperate liberal gov and media, and I see it's working

Trudeau and the media is talking about this now.  Some of us here have been talking about it for a long time.

PP does not have to publicly promote these groups.   He just has to placate them and garner their votes.   This is what he's been doing for last the few years.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

I know it's a waste of my time to bother posting in here based on reading just this page, but sheesh. Criticizing PP for speaking with Canadians who are fed up with the absolute nonsense our Prime Minister is dishing out is a joke. Are you happy with the Carbon Tax, and if so, why? You do realize it has nothing to do with benefiting the environment, right? You do realize it's driving up food costs, right? You do realize it's creating more poverty and could lead to an economic crisis (inflation and Canadian debt already at levels beyond what broke the US economy back in 2008) right? Morons.

Do you have a source that the carbon tax is driving up food costs? I recall seeing an infographic that demonstrated its effects to be negligible, but I'm open to other information.

What makes you think climate policy doesn't inform the tax?

Most Canadians will get more money back from rebates than they will actually spend on the tax, for what it's worth.

And I think Poilievre needs to do a better job of denouncing far-right activists and groups. I don't think it's moronic to suppose that. He did get close and personal with some questionable people and hasn't said a word about it.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Your really deep in the cult not to recognize his hate farming

If he doesn't support diagolon or alex.jones all.he needed to do was say so. Just saying he doesn't follow jones but not declining that endorsement speaks volumes 

PP is free to say what he wants - still doesn't make it true or correct 

His interview today he kept repeating that he is the common sense leader who will axe the tax and build the homes and repeated common sense again and again ..... No plan ... No details at all. You try telling your boss your plan is common sense .... See how that goes 

PP chose to attend a protest where his followers fly F trudeau flags and openly call for the jailing of  political opponents and the death penalty for Trudeau. The same protesters are also demanding anti LGBTQ and trans laws to strip education and rights 

PP knew that ... Saw that and went to stand with them in solidarity and to tell them to keep up the fight 

How can a reasonable person see that as anything but hate farming ?

Again, I agree with nothing you said. There is no cult or hate farming. He stopped to talk to people protesting the carbon tax. That's it. He refused to take a picture beside the Trudeau flag.  The rest of it is just a complete overreaction. We seem to be going in circles here

12 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Trudeau and the media is talking about this now.  Some of us here have been talking about it for a long time.

PP does not have to publicly promote these groups.   He just has to placate them and garner their votes.   This is what he's been doing for last the few years.

He doesn't need to placate them for their votes. Who else are they gonna vote for?  Singh?  Lol. Or are they gonna waste their vote on the PPC 

2 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

He doesn't need to placate them for their votes. Who else are they gonna vote for?  Singh?  Lol. Or are they gonna waste their vote on the PPC 

All I'd like to see is more distance between a potential PM and the crazies.   PP does not seem to care.   Trump does not care either and I think PP has taken notes.     

I don't worry about conservatives much.  I just worry about the lunatic fringe.  The religious right is in that fringe somewhere, along with those who want us to be more like Texas. 

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

All I'd like to see is more distance between a potential PM and the crazies.   PP does not seem to care.   Trump does not care either and I think PP has taken notes.     

I don't worry about conservatives much.  I just worry about the lunatic fringe.  The religious right is in that fringe somewhere, along with those who want us to be more like Texas. 

What do you think of these guys?GMXZRD1XAAAar6L.thumb.jpeg.605467dfcb439f6f43d6e9f67550674a.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spring Salmon said:

Basically you always say anyone protesting Trudeau is far right or weirdos.  When in reality they're just normal people fed up with this government 

Oh yea? What else do I say about trudeau?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 112 said:

Do you have a source that the carbon tax is driving up food costs? I recall seeing an infographic that demonstrated its effects to be negligible, but I'm open to other information.

What makes you think climate policy doesn't inform the tax?

Most Canadians will get more money back from rebates than they will actually spend on the tax, for what it's worth.

And I think Poilievre needs to do a better job of denouncing far-right activists and groups. I don't think it's moronic to suppose that. He did get close and personal with some questionable people and hasn't said a word about it.

This is why I said my post was a waste of time, but here you go:

I'd recommend people do actual research to have informed opinions rather than relying on the media (funded by Trudeau's government) to give honest journalism

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

All the media that doesn't conform to my bias is funded by the guy I don't like 

So here's some curated and tailored attack videos denouncing the thing I don't like from the guy I do like 

or you know, you could actually listen to what he's informing you about and look at the information (that Liberals themselves provide) to prove to yourself whether or not it's true. As I said before, a waste of time. Your response isn't even remotely surprising. I won't repeat the derogatory term I used earlier

3 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

or you know, you could actually listen to what he's informing you about and look at the information (that Liberals themselves provide) to prove to yourself whether or not it's true. As I said before, a waste of time. Your response isn't even remotely surprising. I won't repeat the derogatory term I used earlier

Why don't you summarize your issues for us, then we can respond. Many of us won't click on videos like these because they fuck up your algorithm 

4 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

I've seen what's come out of his mouth.  I still haven't seen anything that indicates his views should be respected by any civilized person.

16 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I've seen what's come out of his mouth.  I still haven't seen anything that indicates his views should be respected by any civilized person.

Facts bother you? I don't understand the desire for wilful ignorance. As for your opinion of Pierre, obviously the media (funded by the Liberals) is going to do whatever it can to paint him in a bad light. I'm not defending inherent attacks against individuals, but it's to your benefit to get the full picture of someone than a biased viewpoint you're being presented.

Here's some information from each of the videos I'd posted, for those that don't want their youtube feeds affected. I'd still recommend watching them in full regardless though.

From the first video:

"Indeed his Carbon Tax which the Parliamentary Budget Officer has proven costs 60% of Canadians more than they get back in rebates, is now opposed by 70% of Canadians. Everybody understands that the tax is driving people to the food bank. That's why six Premiers, including the Liberal Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, have asked for a meeting. ..."

From the 2nd video:

"We are making three specific demands for Justin Trudeau for the forthcoming budget. First, axe the tax on food and farmers by passing C-234 (a bill, obviously) that will take carbon tax off farmers and barns and trying to provide food price relief to Canadians. Two, build homes and not bureaucracy by requiring cities permit 15% more housing completions each year as a condition of receiving federal funds. Three, cap spending with a dollar for dollar law to bring down inflation and interest rates. The dollar for dollar law will require the government find 1 new dollar of savings for every new dollar of spending. By capping government, taxpayers and the economy can catch up with the cost, we can balance the budget again, and bring down inflation and interest rates. ..."

From the 3rd video:

Question from the reporter talking to Poilievre visiting a food bank "... what shocked you the most as you did the actual tour?" and his response "One statistic. This food bank feeds 1 in 10 Torontonians ... There's been a sixfold increase in food bank demand for this one food bank ... We have half of Canadians eating less than they should, a fourth of school children going to school malnourished, this is the miserable life that people are living after 9 years of inflationary debt and spending by the Trudeau government that has destroyed people's purchasing power, taken people's money, punished their work, and doubled their housing costs.

Thought from the reporter: "The government brought out their budget this week and they would say that we're making life more affordable. I look at the cost of everything going up and that has to be wiping out all of these gains that they say they're making for people." and Pierre's response "What gains? What gains? You know, for example there's a lot of beautiful slogans like 'a school food program'; only problem is, there's no food. They don't provide any food. They promised this program 3 years ago. There's not a single ham sandwich that has been served at any school anywhere in Canada. There's been a lot of bureaucracy created and money spent, but at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding and we have more people at food banks than ever before, in fact the food banks are literally running out of food so that some people are joining Facebook groups to learn tricks on how to eat food out of a garbage can, the dumpster diving network, look it up on Facebook, 8000 members now. This is the kind of horror story that we never imagined before Justin Trudeau, but when you tax the farmers that make the food and the truckers who ship the food, you tax all who buy the food and people can't afford to buy it anymore"

Question from the reporter: "So what do you do to fix that? You've got a budget deficit that has become structural. It is inflation going up. The bank interest rates are not going down. All of those things make it not just difficult for Canadian families but for the government to pay the bills as well, so how do you deal with that, how do you make life better for Canadians? and Pierre's response "Well the good news is that life wasn't like this before 9 years of Trudeau and it won't be like this after he's gone. We're going to axe the Carbon tax to lower the cost of the farmers who produce the food, the truckers who ship the food, and the local grocers who sell us our food so we can have more affordable food. We're going to cut income tax so that working people bring home more of each dollar they earn and they can afford food. uh, "

From the reported "Cut income tax? I haven't heard that before." Pierre's response "Oh, I've said it many times. We will be cutting income tax, we have to because the working poor can't afford to pay their bills because they lose so much. You make it and Trudeau takes it. We have to cut taxes to reward hard work. We're going to cap government spending and government waste to bring down deficits, interest rates and inflation, and we're going to require municipalities to get out of the way so builders can build homes people can afford by making it a requirement that cities permit 15% more home building per year as a condition of getting federal funds, and that way we can build the homes that make it affordable. It's hard to believe that, you know, 9 years ago when I was housing minister the average rent was $973 a month. That was not even a decade ago, so we've proven we can make housing affordable. We gotta build the homes to do it."

I'll leave it there. That's a little over half way through that video. There's a bit more on the housing situation and then immigration

From the 4th video:

"In [the previous episode] we learned that Canada's economy is more indebted than were many of the countries that suffered the worst debt crises of the last century, and how those crises caused massive human suffering. ... Has Canada's GDP (revenue) kept up with its debt? No. From the start of 2015 to the middle of 2023 Canada's total public and private debt has grown from 7.9 trillion dollars to 10.2 trillion dollars, an increase of 28.5%, while the real GDP grew 14.1%. That means more than 1/4 of all the current debt appeared in the last 8 years alone [this is actually not true. 10.2 - 7.9 = 2.3, which is 22.55% of the current debt - still a large percentage over the past 8 years] but in that time the GDP only grew half as fast. In other words, our debts are growing twice as fast as the incomes with which we pay those debts.

When you look beyond just government debt, the problem is even worse. Total consumer, corporate, and government debt is 357% of our nation's GDP. Basically the highest in 60 years, and more than 50% higher than the long term average of 223%. How does that compare to the bubbles that led to major debt crises throughout history? Let's look around the word. In the immediate lead-up to the great depression, total public and private debt was 125% of GDP in the United States. Remember the Greek debt crisis over a decade ago? Its economy burst after a debt bubble of 206% GDP. Remember the sub-prime mortgage housing bubble in the United States that led to the massive 2008 financial crisis? That was 349% of GDP. Each of these debt bubbles led to massive economic crisis ..."

I'd recommend watching the whole video with graphs that give a better picture of what's being talked about along with video clips of what the situation was like in the previous bubble breaks that Pierre is talking about.

None of these videos are overly long to watch. The first being 93 seconds and the last being just under 19 minutes

3 hours ago, Spring Salmon said:

What do you think of these guys?GMXZRD1XAAAar6L.thumb.jpeg.605467dfcb439f6f43d6e9f67550674a.jpeg

Do you actually know why he took photos with those 4 individuals?  Because he has reasons for all of them, some excuses better than others.

You are nothing more than a liar spreading misinformation at this point.  

• Cheers 1

@Psycho_Path Nope not gonna tolerate that bullshit lie about liberal-funded media either.  The vast majority of news sources in this country is owned by conservative conglomerates, half of them funded by American hedge funds.  It's all fucking there so don't even try to get away with that garbage

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

Show me concrete evidence that proves the carbon tax has led to rising food costs.  Show me concrete evidence the cabon tax has contributed to inflation.  Don't common sense this.  Fucking prove it.  Hard statistics.  Hard correlations.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

@Psycho_Path Nope not gonna tolerate that bullshit lie about liberal-funded media either.  The vast majority of news sources in this country is owned by conservative conglomerates, half of them funded by American hedge funds.  It's all fucking there so don't even try to get away with that garbage

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/federal-budget-cbc-funding-1.7175927

Federal budget boosts funding for CBC/Radio-Canada, executives say significant job cuts no longer needed

Public broadcaster was facing hundreds of layoffs amid projected budget shortfall

CBC News · Posted: Apr 16, 2024 7:52 PM PDT | Last Updated: April 16
Image of CBC logo on a building, from worm's-eye view.
In its 2024-25 budget, the federal government announced an additional $42 million for CBC/Radio-Canada to provide news and entertainment programming to Canadians. (Ivanoh Demers/Radio-Canada)

The federal government is upping its funding for the CBC and Radio-Canada, easing the financial strain on the public broadcaster and the need for major job cuts and programming reductions this year. 

In the 2024-25 federal budget released Tuesday, an additional $42 million had been allotted for news and entertainment programming — which CBC/Radio-Canada president and CEO Catherine Tait said is "welcome news." 

"This investment, together with the steps we have taken since December, means we will be able to stabilize our operations, preserve jobs, and continue to invest in programs and services," Tait said in a statement.

Last fall, CBC/Radio-Canada forecast $125 million in financial pressures for the 2024–2025 fiscal year, announcing plans to slash $40 million from its production budget and cut approximately 800 jobs — a 10 per cent reduction of its workforce — including 250 each from CBC and Radio-Canada. 

Prior to Tuesday's budget announcement, CBC/Radio-Canada had already laid off 141 employees and cut 205 vacant positions. 

Although CBC/Radio-Canada said in its statement that the one-year budget boost will help the corporation "address its remaining forecast shortfall and balance its budget without significant additional reductions this year," spokesperson Leon Mar did not confirm if the increase would eliminate the risk of layoffs entirely. 

"We will update our financial plans based on the information now available to us," Mar said in an email. 

WATCH | Head of CBC/Radio-Canada in hot seat over job cuts, bonus pay: 

ST_MVS_CBC_HERITAGE_CLEAN.jpg

CBC president grilled over bonuses and layoffs

3 months ago
Duration 2:08
Members of Parliament at the House Heritage Committee grilled CBC/Radio-Canada president Catherine Tait about looming layoffs and executive bonuses. In December 2023, the Crown corporation announced it would cut approximately 600 jobs and leave 200 vacancies unfilled.

Decision on bonuses still to come

It's unclear at this time if the budget increase means CBC/Radio-Canada management will receive annual bonuses — performance-based incentive pay that is a part of compensation agreements for some 1,100 employees.

Mar said any decisions about performance pay are made in June, after the end of the fiscal year.

The bonuses were a point of contention for parliamentarians who grilled Tait before a House of Commons heritage committee in January, following the announcement of planned job cuts. 

Tait told the committee the bonus payout in 2022-23 was $14.9 million. 

"I can understand people's concerns," Tait told the committee. "It's an extremely small number and we need to keep our talented managers — it's not just journalists, although we absolutely honour and support their work."

She said the performance pay was a relatively small amount compared to the approximately $900 million it pays out every year in salaries for all employees.

WATCH | MP says performance payments should be 'given when times are good'

CP169968896.JPG

Liberal MP asks CBC president to reconsider bonus pay structure

3 months ago
Duration 4:34
Liberal MP Michael Coteau asked CBC president Catherine Tait whether she would reconsider performance payments, adding bonuses should only be 'given when times are good.'

CEO says CBC 'chronically underfunded'

Documents the Treasury Board of Canada released on Feb. 29 showed CBC would get an estimated $1.38-billion budget in 2024-25, up from an estimated $1.29 billion for 2023-24.

Government funding accounts for approximately 70 per cent of CBC/Radio-Canada's budget, while the remainder of its funding comes from self-generated revenue including advertising.  

According to its annual reports, CBC/Radio-Canada received $1.24 billion in federal funds in 2022 and $1.39 billion in 2021.

Tait, whose term at the helm of Crown corporation comes to an end at the start of next year, told the heritage committee CBC/Radio-Canada is chronically underfunded. 

"At $33 per Canadian — a dime a day — CBC/Radio-Canada is one of the worst-funded public broadcasters in the world, with four times less funding than the U.K. and France and eight times less than Germany," Tait said. "Until that situation changes, we must continue to manage with what we have and do our very best to stretch limited resources to meet our mandate."

The increase in funding in the 2024-25 budget comes as the government aims to redefine the role of the public broadcaster, something Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge said late last year she would like to see completed before the next federal election. 

Funding for local, not-for-profit media

CBC/Radio-Canada is not the only media outlet to receive financial support in the 2024-25 budget.

The budget set aside $58.8 million over three years for the Local Journalism Initiative, created by the Canadian Heritage ministry in 2019 to support journalism for underserved communities across the country. 

The government is also proposing $15 million in support, over two years, for other public interest programming such as Aboriginal Peoples Television Network (APTN), Accessible Media Inc. (AMI), Quebec's ICI Television and TV5 Québec Canada. Of that, $5 million will support the requirements of the Cable Public Affairs Channel (CPAC).

Note specifically: According to its annual reports, CBC/Radio-Canada received $1.24 billion in federal funds in 2022 and $1.39 billion in 2021.

2 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/federal-budget-cbc-funding-1.7175927

Federal budget boosts funding for CBC/Radio-Canada, executives say significant job cuts no longer needed

Public broadcaster was facing hundreds of layoffs amid projected budget shortfall

CBC News · Posted: Apr 16, 2024 7:52 PM PDT | Last Updated: April 16
Image of CBC logo on a building, from worm's-eye view.
In its 2024-25 budget, the federal government announced an additional $42 million for CBC/Radio-Canada to provide news and entertainment programming to Canadians. (Ivanoh Demers/Radio-Canada)

The federal government is upping its funding for the CBC and Radio-Canada, easing the financial strain on the public broadcaster and the need for major job cuts and programming reductions this year. 

In the 2024-25 federal budget released Tuesday, an additional $42 million had been allotted for news and entertainment programming — which CBC/Radio-Canada president and CEO Catherine Tait said is "welcome news." 

"This investment, together with the steps we have taken since December, means we will be able to stabilize our operations, preserve jobs, and continue to invest in programs and services," Tait said in a statement.

Last fall, CBC/Radio-Canada forecast $125 million in financial pressures for the 2024–2025 fiscal year, announcing plans to slash $40 million from its production budget and cut approximately 800 jobs — a 10 per cent reduction of its workforce — including 250 each from CBC and Radio-Canada. 

Prior to Tuesday's budget announcement, CBC/Radio-Canada had already laid off 141 employees and cut 205 vacant positions. 

Although CBC/Radio-Canada said in its statement that the one-year budget boost will help the corporation "address its remaining forecast shortfall and balance its budget without significant additional reductions this year," spokesperson Leon Mar did not confirm if the increase would eliminate the risk of layoffs entirely. 

"We will update our financial plans based on the information now available to us," Mar said in an email. 

WATCH | Head of CBC/Radio-Canada in hot seat over job cuts, bonus pay: 

ST_MVS_CBC_HERITAGE_CLEAN.jpg

CBC president grilled over bonuses and layoffs

3 months ago
Duration 2:08
Members of Parliament at the House Heritage Committee grilled CBC/Radio-Canada president Catherine Tait about looming layoffs and executive bonuses. In December 2023, the Crown corporation announced it would cut approximately 600 jobs and leave 200 vacancies unfilled.

Decision on bonuses still to come

It's unclear at this time if the budget increase means CBC/Radio-Canada management will receive annual bonuses — performance-based incentive pay that is a part of compensation agreements for some 1,100 employees.

Mar said any decisions about performance pay are made in June, after the end of the fiscal year.

The bonuses were a point of contention for parliamentarians who grilled Tait before a House of Commons heritage committee in January, following the announcement of planned job cuts. 

Tait told the committee the bonus payout in 2022-23 was $14.9 million. 

"I can understand people's concerns," Tait told the committee. "It's an extremely small number and we need to keep our talented managers — it's not just journalists, although we absolutely honour and support their work."

She said the performance pay was a relatively small amount compared to the approximately $900 million it pays out every year in salaries for all employees.

WATCH | MP says performance payments should be 'given when times are good'

CP169968896.JPG

Liberal MP asks CBC president to reconsider bonus pay structure

3 months ago
Duration 4:34
Liberal MP Michael Coteau asked CBC president Catherine Tait whether she would reconsider performance payments, adding bonuses should only be 'given when times are good.'

CEO says CBC 'chronically underfunded'

Documents the Treasury Board of Canada released on Feb. 29 showed CBC would get an estimated $1.38-billion budget in 2024-25, up from an estimated $1.29 billion for 2023-24.

Government funding accounts for approximately 70 per cent of CBC/Radio-Canada's budget, while the remainder of its funding comes from self-generated revenue including advertising.  

According to its annual reports, CBC/Radio-Canada received $1.24 billion in federal funds in 2022 and $1.39 billion in 2021.

Tait, whose term at the helm of Crown corporation comes to an end at the start of next year, told the heritage committee CBC/Radio-Canada is chronically underfunded. 

"At $33 per Canadian — a dime a day — CBC/Radio-Canada is one of the worst-funded public broadcasters in the world, with four times less funding than the U.K. and France and eight times less than Germany," Tait said. "Until that situation changes, we must continue to manage with what we have and do our very best to stretch limited resources to meet our mandate."

The increase in funding in the 2024-25 budget comes as the government aims to redefine the role of the public broadcaster, something Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge said late last year she would like to see completed before the next federal election. 

Funding for local, not-for-profit media

CBC/Radio-Canada is not the only media outlet to receive financial support in the 2024-25 budget.

The budget set aside $58.8 million over three years for the Local Journalism Initiative, created by the Canadian Heritage ministry in 2019 to support journalism for underserved communities across the country. 

The government is also proposing $15 million in support, over two years, for other public interest programming such as Aboriginal Peoples Television Network (APTN), Accessible Media Inc. (AMI), Quebec's ICI Television and TV5 Québec Canada. Of that, $5 million will support the requirements of the Cable Public Affairs Channel (CPAC).

Note specifically: According to its annual reports, CBC/Radio-Canada received $1.24 billion in federal funds in 2022 and $1.39 billion in 2021.

Congratulations you have listed the one company that's government-funded.

Now who funds CTV?  National Post?  Globe and Mail?  Toronto Star?  Oh right - private private private private

Don't even try to spread that shit about leftist media.  This isn't the fucking Tea Party over here

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Show me concrete evidence that proves the carbon tax has led to rising food costs.  Show me concrete evidence the cabon tax has contributed to inflation.  Don't common sense this.  Fucking prove it.  Hard statistics.  Hard correlations.  

Math? Math isn't good enough? If it costs more to produce food (due to higher costs of heating using carbon related energy of which costs more due to the tax) then farmers have to charge more. Besides, the fact that if you go grocery shopping you'll know that food prices keep going up for Canadian produce. This isn't as much going to affect imported goods (though it will, due to the increased cost of gas which makes shipping the food cost more, depending on where the gas is obtained and how much is needed to get the food to various municipalities). You just wait a few years and see the results. The latest hike happened a month ago. The effects won't necessarily be obvious immediately. Going to have to wait for that data.

Edited by Psycho_Path