Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

The National Post has literally become right wing propaganda rag. Look at these loaded sensationalistic headlines at the top of the page. 

Ahhh yea because left leaning opinion sections don't have any headlines that push their narrative an "proganda" 🤦 

• Confused 1

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

Ahhh yea because left leaning opinion sections don't have any headlines that push their narrative an "proganda" 🤦 

Provide the example then. Go to CBC or whatever site you want and show me the loaded haedlines. Keep in mind this is the top of the page at NP, no "news" to be seen. I'll wait. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Provide the example then. Go to CBC or whatever site you want and show me the loaded haedlines. Keep in mind this is the top of the page at NP, no "news" to be seen. I'll wait. 

Buddy. "Speaker Greg Fergus has been a failure of a speaker" is not a loaded headline. Like what a joke. That's what it takes to offend you?

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

9 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

This would be interesting.

I'd also like to see so called "left wing liberal media" 

With headlines like

Poiliverre is a disaster, conservatives courting totalitarianism.  Conservative plan is to restrict women's rights.  Poiliverres 20 year disaster as a taxpayer paid official 

This could be fun because they don't exist.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Buddy. "Speaker Greg Fergus has been a failure of a speaker" is not a loaded headline. Like what a joke. That's what it takes to offend you?

That's absolutely a loaded headline 

What's wrong with you that you can't see that?  This is what partisanship looks like 

If the CBC posted an article stating Poiliverre has been a failure of an MP you'd be foaming at the mouth and calling it a loaded headline

The danger to Canada isn't which idiot is sitting in the PMs seat.  It's that the only people more stupid than the PM or PM hopeful we currently have are the people supporting them without deviation 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

So you object to him holding Poilivre accountable for his unacceptable conduct?  It's not his fault Poilivre is incapable of acting like a civilized adult.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That's absolutely a loaded headline 

What's wrong with you that you can't see that?  This is what partisanship looks like 

If the CBC posted an article stating Poiliverre has been a failure of an MP you'd be foaming at the mouth and calling it a loaded headline

The danger to Canada isn't which idiot is sitting in the PMs seat.  It's that the only people more stupid than the PM or PM hopeful we currently have are the people supporting them without deviation 

People are allowed to have opinions on the job the speaker is doing? Yes or no?

No I wouldn't. Please don't ever speak for me.

Insulting people and calling them stupid because they don't share your opinions is a bold strategy Cotton. Don't think it's gonna pay off though 

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

11 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

TD Bank hit with $9.2M penalty after failing to report suspicious transactions

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/td-bank-hit-with-9-2m-penalty-after-failing-to-report-suspicious-transactions-1.6870718

Looks like a big fine, perhaps it might make them re think how they do things......

except they made $17.43 Billion last year-so they are much more likely to consider the fine as 'just the cost of business', if they consider it at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Looks like a big fine, perhaps it might make them re think how they do things......

except they made $17.43 Billion last year-so they are much more likely to consider the fine as 'just the cost of business', if they consider it at all.

Instead of cracking down on drug addicts, we should be ramping up the penalties for white collar crime like this, to include mandatory prison time for those responsible.

• Vintage 3

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Instead of cracking down on drug addicts, we should be ramping up the penalties for white collar crime like this, to include mandatory prison time for those responsible.

Why can't we be doing both?

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I've never understood the tolerance displayed for 'white collar' crime.

Somehow it is evil to use a gun/knife/baseball bat, to take some one's wallet, but taking money with the stroke of a pen is given an almost a free ride.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What we are currently doing is failing even harder, so what do you suggest we do?

I have an opinion I have voiced before.   Decriminalization on its' own has not worked here or in Portland or anywhere.  Portugal has had success with decriminalization AND a large set of social programs to support and rehabilitate.  Costly yes, but if a crackdown means prison terms or newly built camps in the far north that would be  pretty costly too.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I have an opinion I have voiced before.   Decriminalization on its' own has not worked here or in Portland or anywhere.  Portugal has had success with decriminalization AND a large set of social programs to support and rehabilitate.  Costly yes, but if a crackdown means prison terms or newly built camps in the far north that would be  pretty costly too.

"Drugs are, however, still confiscated and possession may result in administrative penalties such as fines or community service."

https://transformdrugs.org/blog/drug-decriminalisation-in-portugal-setting-the-record-straight

We are missing soooo many steps to even be considered in the same realm as what is happening over in Portugal. The reality is we have a long way to go

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Many posts later, I’m still waiting for our conservative friends in here to provide real life reasons how this liberal government has cause our current inflation.  I’m assuming because it’s just another ridiculous talking point put forth by the Con men

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

"Drugs are, however, still confiscated and possession may result in administrative penalties such as fines or community service."

https://transformdrugs.org/blog/drug-decriminalisation-in-portugal-setting-the-record-straight

We are missing soooo many steps to even be considered in the same realm as what is happening over in Portugal. The reality is we have a long way to go

Yes, but it shows there are things that actually work.   Crackdowns do not.  

40 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What we are currently doing is failing even harder, so what do you suggest we do?

First .... The majority of addicts come with complex mental health issues that go beyond what we have ever had to deal with. Back in the 70's many would have been in Riverview or other such facilities. Not suggesting that would fix it .. just that we have never had to deal with this many addictive killer drugs and mental health issues combining .. ever

I worked mental health and remember a psychiatrist challenging the staff at a education session with 2 scenarios - 

A ) little sweet old lady who's kidneys are shot in emergency for help. She had been taking 10x rate of Tylenol for years to numb joint pain

B) a meth addict covered in sores and strung out. 

Q - what's the similarities and what's the differences?

Answer - they are both the same. They both self medicated to lessen the symptoms. Meth and other hard drugs help lessen the voices tormenting that person and are cheap and work fast .... Same for the sweet old lady

Differences - one is seen as a sweet old lady and the other s Meth head

Conclusion - both are the same and If we can treat the underlying issue both aren't really addicts and would have a good chance of not continuing that addiction 

Once we look at all addicts as criminals rather than health issues we will never fix the problem. We have outlawed murder so when should have none then right ?

All the rehab beds in the world are useless If they day they are recovered and released they return to the tent in the park or sent to a dump to live in a slave wage minimum pay job that will keep them in that dispair.

The solution needs to end the stigma ... End the criminalization . Provide treatment and a few years of a living basic income with housing as we work with them to get them a job skill then match them to a good job

For those who's mental health won't facilitate working then build decent clean housing for them and provide a living wage benefit and activities ( daily volunteer work or ongoing socialization ) to prevent them falling back to the old life 

The ability to say "clean up and pull up your boot straps" is no longer possible in Canada. The planning has to put the past,today and tommorows plans as one over all plan to succeed 

As for the drug dealers and makers feel free to jail them for life .....

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

image.png.211737ab9c58d723035ec263061d6fce.pnghttps://mediabiasfactcheck.com/national-post/

If you are going to be ignorant at least provide sources. You may not like their opinions but they are NOT fox news. Jesus Christ some of the hyperbole on this site is wild

Who owns NP?  Hmm?  Which conglomerate funds the majority of newspapers in this country?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Who owns NP?  Hmm?  Which conglomerate funds the majority of newspapers in this country?

The National Post should be the last to lecture anyone about media bias

Edge: The extreme level of ownership concentration in Canada has resulted in a correspondingly extreme conservative media bias

https://canadiandimension.com/articles/view/the-national-post-should-be-the-last-to-lecture-anyone-about-media-bias

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Rook said:

Many posts later, I’m still waiting for our conservative friends in here to provide real life reasons how this liberal government has cause our current inflation.  I’m assuming because it’s just another ridiculous talking point put forth by the Con men

because carbon tax silly, its obvious. 

Don't hold your breath, they aren't really looking for factual discussion much of the time, as soon as you do, Skippy has nothing to offer. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

People are allowed to have opinions on the job the speaker is doing? Yes or no?

No I wouldn't. Please don't ever speak for me.

Insulting people and calling them stupid because they don't share your opinions is a bold strategy Cotton. Don't think it's gonna pay off though 

Oh I'm sorry.

Please, show me how the electorate isn't currently hyper partisan or the quality of elected official they vote in that indicates they are not idiots.

Opinions are all well and good, but when you have people (insert name here) posting them as some sort of metric of success or failure for [insert politicians name/party here] for the greater population it's a serious problem and only highlights that hyper partisanship or idiocy I speak of 

Whatever the case, that headline is ABSOLUTELY loaded and I'm still waiting for someone to provide a similar article of such a loaded nature from the "left wing" media

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1