Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

26 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Yeah, at one point in the 90s Alberta Social Services was offering a double shot of welfare if you also took the one way bus ticket to Vancouver along with it. Or very near to that, as a policy. From memory, so might be slightly different of an offer, but the one way bus ticket was absolutely involved.

Ralph Klein.

From the link 

"Alberta under the leadership of former Premier Ralph Klein gained added notoriety in BC for offering one-way bus tickets for welfare recipients to travel to the West Coast and remain there. More recently in 2016, there was controversy after Saskatchewan provided two individuals with one-way bus tickets to BC, after they applied for shelter bed spots in their community. It is impossible to determine the extent of this practice, given that it is typically informal."

This is a long article:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-homeless-national-crisis-epicentre

While the precarious nature of housing affordability in Metro Vancouver has long taken the heat for Vancouver’s dire homelessness issues, this is far beyond from being just a homegrown issue as the factor of provincial and interprovincial migration to the South Coast has been grossly understated.

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Ralph Klein.

From the link 

"Alberta under the leadership of former Premier Ralph Klein gained added notoriety in BC for offering one-way bus tickets for welfare recipients to travel to the West Coast and remain there. More recently in 2016, there was controversy after Saskatchewan provided two individuals with one-way bus tickets to BC, after they applied for shelter bed spots in their community. It is impossible to determine the extent of this practice, given that it is typically informal."

This is a long article:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-homeless-national-crisis-epicentre

While the precarious nature of housing affordability in Metro Vancouver has long taken the heat for Vancouver’s dire homelessness issues, this is far beyond from being just a homegrown issue as the factor of provincial and interprovincial migration to the South Coast has been grossly understated.

This is why IMO hobos are a federal issue, they are the most transient of all subcommunities in Canada.

44 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

This is why IMO hobos are a federal issue, they are the most transient of all subcommunities in Canada.

The prairies should be punished for doing something like that.. or have to pay the bills for said transients

18 minutes ago, Rook said:

The prairies should be punished for doing something like that.. or have to pay the bills for said transients

Unfortunately the middle of our great nation have turned in to a bunch of me first narcissists with a massive victim complex. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Unfortunately the middle of our great nation have turned in to a bunch of me first narcissists with a massive victim complex. 

That's the result of the bullshit Preston Manning started.

2:55 long vid at link

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/poilievre-hints-at-using-notwithstanding-clause-to-pass-laws/vi-AA1nXFJy?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=60abd0c6070b45209b9f676499c6d51a&ei=33

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he would use 'whatever tools the constitution allows' to pass laws if his party forms the next government. That could include the use of the notwithstanding clause, which allows some governments to override the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, a tool never used by Parliament before

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

How often does that happen?

A lot!! I compare prices because I’m of the belief just cause I have it doesn’t mean I should spend it 😂 spot checked. Dozen items from chips to produce and it was crazy!!  Sour cream for two dollars less for the same size and brand?  Salads 3 for 5 instead of five.  Now, not all were that three times factor, but it’s still crazy!

3 minutes ago, Rook said:

A lot!! I compare prices because I’m of the belief just cause I have it doesn’t mean I should spend it 😂 spot checked. Dozen items from chips to produce and it was crazy!!  Sour cream for two dollars less for the same size and brand?  Salads 3 for 5 instead of five.  Now, not all were that three times factor, but it’s still crazy!

What small groceries do you go to?

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What small groceries do you go to?

Independents in my town, family owned operations.  Veggie stands are a great way to find some deals on a variety of things.  Even our “boutique” local grocer is better than sav-on and superstore, but prices are reflected as they have a lot of fee range etc. local butchers are great too. 

10 minutes ago, Rook said:

Independents in my town, family owned operations.  Veggie stands are a great way to find some deals on a variety of things.  Even our “boutique” local grocer is better than sav-on and superstore, but prices are reflected as they have a lot of fee range etc. local butchers are great too. 

funny I've usually found the smaller guys to not be as competitive, but its nice to support local. There are some places that have really good deals on a few specific things tho, e.g., Banana Grove in east van has a great deli aisle. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

funny I've usually found the smaller guys to not be as competitive, but its nice to support local. There are some places that have really good deals on a few specific things tho, e.g., Banana Grove in east van has a great deli aisle. 

could be a big city thing?  Their leases are crazy expensive. I’m in a smaller community so that probably helps. If I can find it even close to in par with big boxes I always go local.  Much better investment.  The business I run, our prices compared to shareholder companies is absolutely crazy!! But, we work our tail off to provide quality affordable products to our community. I think my wife and I are few and far between sadly

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Rook said:

could be a big city thing?  Their leases are crazy expensive. I’m in a smaller community so that probably helps. If I can find it even close to in par with big boxes I always go local.  Much better investment.  The business I run, our prices compared to shareholder companies is absolutely crazy!! But, we work our tail off to provide quality affordable products to our community. I think my wife and I are few and far between sadly

Definitely could be. In Vancouver we have hunted down the best places for us for different items. Sometimes it's a small guy, sometimes tnt, Costco, whatever. I find the small ethnic  groceries always have some kind of item or two to draw people in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Definitely could be. In Vancouver we have hunted down the best places for us for different items. Sometimes it's a small guy, sometimes tnt, Costco, whatever. I find the small ethnic  groceries always have some kind of item or two to draw people in. 

If I’m gonna support any chain it’s always Costco, because they don’t bend us over the coals, and are the best option for any electronics.

4 hours ago, Rook said:

If I’m gonna support any chain it’s always Costco, because they don’t bend us over the coals, and are the best option for any electronics.

They also treat and pay their employees fairly well.

In this morning's bat shit crazy on the freedumb axe the tax social media ..... The carbon tax is stated now as being applied between 10 and 100 time in every grocery item. Once elimated.groceries will be falling by at least 1/2 if not more and all the grocery stores will be complying and passing it on

Tell me your brainwashed by a cult without telling me lmao ..... Got to give it to PP .... He has sold dog crap as steak and his cult members are eating it up

In other news daigolon has released a tiky toky video about how easy it is to manipulate PP into supporting them lol

And on CTV PP was interviewed about the capital gains tax and said business should see that as an attack.

That's a new curve ball ... Is PP delusional or a narricisist or both?  Dreaming everything to be an attack and a unquenchable need to be a victim at all times .... Or his fairy dust unicorns and streets paved with gold promised ..... Hmmmmm choices 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sapper said:

In this morning's bat shit crazy on the freedumb axe the tax social media ..... The carbon tax is stated now as being applied between 10 and 100 time in every grocery item. Once elimated.groceries will be falling by at least 1/2 if not more and all the grocery stores will be complying and passing it on

Tell me your brainwashed by a cult without telling me lmao ..... Got to give it to PP .... He has sold dog crap as steak and his cult members are eating it up

In other news daigolon has released a tiky toky video about how easy it is to manipulate PP into supporting them lol

And on CTV PP was interviewed about the capital gains tax and said business should see that as an attack.

That's a new curve ball ... Is PP delusional or a narricisist or both?  Dreaming everything to be an attack and a unquenchable need to be a victim at all times .... Or his fairy dust unicorns and streets paved with gold promised ..... Hmmmmm choices 

PP is the inverse of Robin Hood.  Stealing from the poor to give to the rich.

So what is a billion? 

If I give you $1 billion and you stand on a street corner handing out $1 per second,
twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, you would still not have handed out
$1 billion after 31 years!

Now read on. This is true and rather hard to really understand.

The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about
whether you want the 'politicians' spending YOUR tax money.
A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job
of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

1. A billion seconds ago, it was 1959.
2. A billion minutes ago, Jesus was alive.
3. A billion hours ago, our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.
4. A billion days ago, no-one walked on the earth on two feet.
5. A billion Dollars ago was only 13 hours and 12 minutes, at the rate our present government
is spending it.    We spend more on servicing the debt  than  on Health.    

We are charged:
·Stamp Duty
·Tobacco Tax
·Corporate Income Tax
·Income Tax
·Council Tax
·Unemployment Tax
·Fishing License Tax
·Petrol/Diesel Tax
·Inheritance Tax (tax on top of tax)
·Alcohol Tax
·G.S.T.
·Property Tax
·Purchase Property Tax
·Tax on Title Searches
·Tax on Building Inspections
·Tax on supplements
·Taxes on various food items
·Taxes on Dining out
·Tax on all utilities – Phone, hydro, water, waste disposal
·Service charge taxes
·Social Security Tax
·Vehicle License / Registration Tax
·Vehicle Sales Tax
·Workers Compensation Tax
·And now Carbon Tax   increasing steadily till 2030 

AND I’m sure you can think of more......
STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 60 years ago, and our nation was one
of the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt.

We had the largest middle class in the world.
A criminal’s life was uncomfortable.
What on earth happened?    We can do better 

The government  lost its way  but we believed them -   elected them,   you decide. 
It  is up to each one of us       It will get worse unless we all  do something.

BTW, for real debt by PM as measured by the Financial Institute, have a read through:

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/default/files/federal-debt-in-canada-by-prime-ministers-2019.pdf

"Justin Trudeau is projected to be the largest debt accumulator among prime ministers who did not fight a world war or experience an economic downturn during their tenure."

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

So what is a billion? 

If I give you $1 billion and you stand on a street corner handing out $1 per second,
twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, you would still not have handed out
$1 billion after 31 years!

Now read on. This is true and rather hard to really understand.

The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about
whether you want the 'politicians' spending YOUR tax money.
A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job
of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

1. A billion seconds ago, it was 1959.
2. A billion minutes ago, Jesus was alive.
3. A billion hours ago, our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.
4. A billion days ago, no-one walked on the earth on two feet.
5. A billion Dollars ago was only 13 hours and 12 minutes, at the rate our present government
is spending it.    We spend more on servicing the debt  than  on Health.    

We are charged:
·Stamp Duty
·Tobacco Tax
·Corporate Income Tax
·Income Tax
·Council Tax
·Unemployment Tax
·Fishing License Tax
·Petrol/Diesel Tax
·Inheritance Tax (tax on top of tax)
·Alcohol Tax
·G.S.T.
·Property Tax
·Purchase Property Tax
·Tax on Title Searches
·Tax on Building Inspections
·Tax on supplements
·Taxes on various food items
·Taxes on Dining out
·Tax on all utilities – Phone, hydro, water, waste disposal
·Service charge taxes
·Social Security Tax
·Vehicle License / Registration Tax
·Vehicle Sales Tax
·Workers Compensation Tax
·And now Carbon Tax   increasing steadily till 2030 

AND I’m sure you can think of more......
STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 60 years ago, and our nation was one
of the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt.

We had the largest middle class in the world.
A criminal’s life was uncomfortable.
What on earth happened?    We can do better 

The government  lost its way  but we believed them -   elected them,   you decide. 
It  is up to each one of us       It will get worse unless we all  do something.

BTW, for real debt by PM as measured by the Financial Institute, have a read through:

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/default/files/federal-debt-in-canada-by-prime-ministers-2019.pdf

"Justin Trudeau is projected to be the largest debt accumulator among prime ministers who did not fight a world war or experience an economic downturn during their tenure."

A billion is also just over $25 per Canadian.