Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

His support of so called "parents rights" will absolutely infringe on gay rights. As far as same sex couples go, there are still many hurdles to adopting a child that aren't faced by other parents. A google search will highlight many of these challenges. Plus, I know a guy 😁. That's not to say things aren't getting better but we certainly don't want them getting worse. There's a lot of kids in need of a good home. 

"Parents rights" leaves out the quiet part, which is "to abuse their children".

• ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Save on foods will also price match anywhere and the rewards points can add up real fast if you're smart about it.  We had a thread like this on CDC that might be worth resurrecting so we don't further derail this one though.

And their dollar days are crazy good prices on some stuff!!

Just started a thread for food & product news/discussion/help/advice. 

The goal is to help bring awareness of what’s happening(like with news of loblaws boycott), discuss, share advice/help or even most great deals you see. 

It’s good to help each other out so feel free to share there. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Those rights are already protected by law. Since like 18 years ago. So not sure why it even needs to be brought up other than to sow division. 

Also, are you suggesting they are taking away gay rights laws in the US?

And Roe vs Wade came loooong before that and look at what happened in the states.

And yes, taking away gay rights is almost guaranteed to be on that Evangelical Republican agenda. Roe vs Wade was originally done in 1973.

I get that there's a sense of pride sometimes from being on the left or the right, but right now some people on the right wing need to wake up and see what's actually happening around them. This might sound extreme but democracy is literally on the line in the states and it's sad that there's so many that don't see this.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

There's a piece on The Tyee that makes a pretty compelling argument about how the UCP is a threat to democracy.  

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2024/05/06/Why-UCP-Is-Threat-Democracy/

Excerpt:

4. Distribution of Power

More broadly, our leaders should respect the importance of pluralism, a system where power is dispersed among multiple groups or institutions, ensuring no single entity holds too much control. This includes:

• respecting the autonomy of local governments and officials;
  • protecting the independence of arm’s-length agencies, boards and commissions;
  • upholding the public service bargain, which affords civil servants protection and benefits in return for providing fearless advice and loyal implementation; and
  • upholding the principle of academic freedom, whereby academics can pursue lines of inquiry without fear of censorship or persecution.

The UCP has little respect for these principles, either.

1. Kissing the ring: In the past two weeks, the UCP government introduced Bill 18 and Bill 20, the combined effect of which would be to bend municipal councillors and public bodies to the will of the provincial cabinet and encroach on matters of academic freedom by vetting federally funded research grants.
  2. Breaking the bargain: UCP premiers have broken the public service bargain by threatening to investigate and eventually firing individual officials, pledging to roll back wages and benefits and hinting at taking over their pensions. They’ve also cut public servants and stakeholders out of the policy development process, limiting the amount of evidence and number of perspectives being considered.
  3. Cronyism and meddling: The party has loaded various arm’s-length agencies with patronage appointments and dismissed or threatened to fire entire boards of others. During a UCP leadership debate, various contenders promised to politicize several fields normally kept at arm’s length from interference — academia, the police, the judiciary, prosecutions, pensions, tax collection, immigration and sport.

Excerpt 2:

This also isn’t a left/right or partisan issue. Conservatives ought to be as concerned about the UCP’s trajectory as progressives. Politicians of all stripes should be speaking out and Albertans should welcome all who do. Opposition to the UCP’s backsliding can’t be monolithic. We need many voices, including those within the government caucus and UCP base.

In this sense, it’s important to avoid engaging in whataboutism over which side is more authoritarian. It’s important to acknowledge when any government strays from democratic principles. Finding common ground with folks from across the spectrum about what we expect from our governments is key.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

There's a piece on The Tyee that makes a pretty compelling argument about how the UCP is a threat to democracy.  

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2024/05/06/Why-UCP-Is-Threat-Democracy/

Excerpt:

Excerpt 2:

Yeah, the big problem I see is that Trump really created a platform to stand on for these more extremist groups. I'm sure there are a few people on this forum who will roll their eyes while reading this, but there really should be a lot of concern with who's been getting into power. It's one thing for a government to spend money and go in debt. It's a completely different thing to revoke the rights of select demographics.

And yet, there are people who want to put our debt as being more important than topics such as women's abortion rights or the rights of certain demographics and somehow thinking that's just fine. It's not.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, the big problem I see is that Trump really created a platform to stand on for these more extremist groups. I'm sure there are a few people on this forum who will roll their eyes while reading this, but there really should be a lot of concern with who's been getting into power. It's one thing for a government to spend money and go in debt. It's a completely different thing to revoke the rights of select demographics.

And yet, there are people who want to put our debt as being more important than topics such as women's abortion rights or the rights of certain demographics and somehow thinking that's just fine. It's not.

It's part of why I was hoping the PPC would get a little more traction to siphon away those elements and force the CPC to move closer to where they were before letting all the Reform nutjobs in.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It's part of why I was hoping the PPC would get a little more traction to siphon away those elements and force the CPC to move closer to where they were before letting all the Reform nutjobs in.

I don't disagree with this. In fact, I'd like to see this happen as well. Unfortunately, Trudeau's lost so much traction that I find it hard not to see the Conservatives with enough support at this point with or without PPC interference and that's going to mean some crazies will probably get into the party that's in power.

Again, to any Conservative voter reading this, I don't have anything against the Conservative party itself. I've voted Conservative many times before. I just want to see the crazies out so that we can get back to normal again.

Edited by The Lock

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

His own voting history against those rights says enough.  He's already shown just how much of a bigot he is, and has shown zero signs that he's willing to act like a civilized person after the fact.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/Members/en/votes/38/1/75

Mr. Pierre Poilievre
(Nepean—Carleton)
Conservative Nay

Peter Poutine votes NAY on gay marriage, 2005. It is there in black and white. 

• ThereItIs 2

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/israel-hamas-csis-spike-violent-rhetoric-1.7195000

"Violent rhetoric from extremist actors has increased since the attack by Hamas and, as the conflict continues to unfold, it is possible that these events could impact certain individuals' intent to mobilize to violence."

18 hours ago, Heretic said:

It's not about "making money" - it's about spreading the profit.

If you are making a billion dollar profit a quarter - why increase banking fees?  Specially at a time where Canadians have more household debt then ever before?

Here's a true story for you.

My wife and I have a small farm, we have bred Heritage chickens  for the past 12 years.

The first 6 years, we shipped eggs right across Canada.
Then, shipping costs starting going up and Canada Post would no longer allow us to ship eggs past Manitoba.

This year, will be the last we are shipping to Saskatchewan and Manitoba.  Why?  Because that stupid carbon tax has increased shipping to a point whereby it's more expensive to ship the eggs than what we sell them for.

In other words, since Trudeau has been in office, he has cut out 80% of who we can sell to. 

Small farmers are a dying breed, and food costs are rising because of it.

I have lost money every year, all that's been good for is saving a small percentage of income tax I pay.

Bottom line is this - corporate greed and bad government has hurt us all.

What I don't understand is, given his track record, why would anyone with average (or better) intelligence even consider voting for Trudeau????
(unless of course you run a financial institution or shipping business) 

And yet people will continue to screech that the carbon tax has had zero affect on  the prices of goods 🤦

We ship alot of goods where I work and the cost has become pretty insane and I don't know how people will continue to sustain such costs

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

And yet people will continue to screech that the carbon tax has had zero affect on  the prices of goods 🤦

We ship alot of goods where I work and the cost has become pretty insane and I don't know how people will continue to sustain such costs

No one said it had zero effect, but you know that.

Provincial and local taxes are a much bigger component of fuel costs, but you know that too.

• Cheers 1

2 minute vid on 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/growing-security-concerns-for-politicians-in-canada/vi-BB1lSfWA?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=f6df70b54f1e432eb22682fbfa4bbf1c&ei=77

"

On Parliament Hill, there is worry about the safety of federal politicians. Increasingly intense political rhetoric, division on the streets and online is causing some politicians to step away altogether. Mackenize Gray reports. 

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

No one said it had zero effect, but you know that.

Provincial and local taxes are a much bigger component of fuel costs, but you know that too.

Don't forget those perpetual record corporate profits despite stable market prices.

There's the tree people should be barking up... But yeah the carbon tax is the problem 🙄

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Don't forget those perpetual record corporate profits despite stable market prices.

There's the tree people should be barking up... But yeah the carbon tax is the problem 🙄

yeah but Ricky probably works for an oil company

• Haha 1

@Heretic been noodling on your egg issue a little bit. If you cant afford to ship across Canada anymore, doesn't that mean your competitors in other provinces can't ship here? Have you seen any gaps emerge in in the local market you can pop in to now?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Shipping companies jacked their prices up during the pandemic using supply chain issues as their reasoning and they never came back down. Welcome to free market capitalism. Not sure how or why you think a conservative government is going to fix that as that is the cornerstone of their ideology. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 hours ago, Heretic said:

My wife and I have a small farm, we have bred Heritage chickens  for the past 12 years.

The first 6 years, we shipped eggs right across Canada.
Then, shipping costs starting going up and Canada Post would no longer allow us to ship eggs past Manitoba.

This year, will be the last we are shipping to Saskatchewan and Manitoba.  Why?  Because that stupid carbon tax has increased shipping to a point whereby it's more expensive to ship the eggs than what we sell them for.

Sounds like a cool little business. None of my concern, but why not have your customers pay for shipping? Then you can continue to ship to whereever the various methods of having goods delivered will travel to. Canada Post isn't the only duck in the pond.

18 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Shipping companies jacked their prices up during the pandemic using supply chain issues as their reasoning and they never came back down. Welcome to free market capitalism. Not sure how or why you think a conservative government is going to fix that as that is the cornerstone of their ideology. 

Precisely, 'let the market decide' is the conservative mantra. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Kinda like gas at the pump

Carbon tax increase added approx 3 cents per l more  last month

Conservatives - let's push Canada to civil war and start axe the tax protests demanding the arrest and execution of truduea to free Canada

Gas company's to celebrate the trans Canada pipeline completion jump the per litre price 30 to 50 cents a litre at the same time oil falls to the lowest cost this year

conservatives - we love you oil and gas please take all our money and F truduea and axe that tax

Irony aside yes carbon tax adds to the cost of anything shipped. The extra costs are a small amount on every item but are miniscule compared to the greed inflation, other taxes and cost increases ( some of which are driven by increased shipping costs as the supply chain recovers from covid shortages .... Supply vs demand )

PP has sold that axing the tax will solve.everything and drop the prices of everything back to the glory days so we all will.be rich

The fact that people who can vote are buying that load of crap is more problematic that the carbon tax itself

Spoiler alert - when he axes the tax other than with fortis gas we won't see a single penny savings as that's when retail acknowledges the cost increase by item was actually very small so there is nothing they can cut ....  

Edited by Sapper
  • ThereItIs 1

31 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Seriously tho, let's actually discuss what percentage of fuel costs is the carbon tax, do you know?

I did the math last month and the 3.5 cents a liter uptick on the Carbon Tax, for my roughly 17k in car travels a year (i hear that is near the average) the new carbon tax based on my last year of driving is only going to cost me 55 bucks this next year. boo freakin hoo.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Precisely, 'let the market decide' is the conservative mantra. 

The continued downgrading to Canada Post to make it a money maker vs a country wide public service , the ending of bus services ( greyhound ) has had more impact than carbon tax does for small businesses that ship 

I would like to  see Canada Post offering business subsidized shipping within Canada to small.businuess ( at a break even or loss costing ).

We talk about keeping small town Canada alive.so.people can stay in their community.... People being able to shop and have items delivered at a reasonable cost is a win win for both sides 

• Cheers 1