Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Dude. I can't even get into a walk in clinic without having 5 phones and people staying on line for a hour plus to try to get ahold an see someone. How about we start fixing our crumbling healthcare first before adding on these vote buying initiatives 

Which level of government is responsible for healthcare, including walk in clinics?

1 minute ago, Sapper said:

Alot of those people wouldn't be going in if we did ,2 things 

1 - pharmaceutical coverage. Those countries that have single payer medical all.have some form.except.for us

2 - ban employers sending workers for doctors notes other than in long term illness

Conservatives hate both of them as it lessens pharma profits and restricts bosses control over workers

Coverage of life saving drugs to make sure everyone can get them IS A FIX to our health care system

Any sort of source for that statement or is that more of a "trust me bro"?

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I'm not saying he's right just that if he's wrong it's on the poster who's saying he's wrong to explain why 🤷 Not just conservatives bad because they didn't go along with a NDP bill 

So your asking us to do PP's job for him ? If the cons disagree it's their job to give specifics and explain how zero coverage is a better thing for people without work coverage 

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Which level of government is responsible for healthcare, including walk in clinics?

Is this supposed to be some sort of excuse or something? Doesn't matter if it's the provincial, federal or the damn king of England. Shits falling apart man and people are fed up

• Like 1

So your asking us to do PP's job for him ? If the cons disagree it's their job to give specifics and explain how zero coverage is a better thing for people without work coverage 

According to the article they gave their reason 🤷

Any sort of source for that statement or is that more of a "trust me bro"?

Google both "bro"

BC doctors have again issues a call for government in BC to take steps to limit employers using them as hall monitors for sick notes as it's taking away thousands and thousands of appointments that people who need to see a doctor could.use

It's long been reported that countries with universal health like Canada also have some form of universal drug.coverage - but we don't 

Is this supposed to be some sort of excuse or something? Doesn't matter if it's the provincial, federal or the damn king of England. Shits falling apart man and people are fed up

It helps if people are at least directing their anger at the correct level of government instead of blaming all their problems on Trudeau.

• Vintage 2

Google both "bro"

BC doctors have again issues a call for government in BC to take steps to limit employers using them as hall monitors for sick notes as it's taking away thousands and thousands of appointments that people who need to see a doctor could.use

It's long been reported that countries with universal health like Canada also have some form of universal drug.coverage - but we don't 

How long has the NDP been in power in b.c? Long enough that they could have made that change no?

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

How long has the NDP been in power in b.c? Long enough that they could have made that change no?

They should have 

England legislated country wide that employers can't request sick notes for 3 or less days off and it's freed up alot of appointments for people who.need to see a doc

Also each visit for just a note costs us tax dollars 

I agree. .. the NDP should have done more than just ask employers to stop and put it into the employment standards act

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Alot of those people wouldn't be going in if we did ,2 things 

1 - pharmaceutical coverage. Those countries that have single payer medical all.have some form.except.for us

2 - ban employers sending workers for doctors notes other than in long term illness

Conservatives hate both of them as it lessens pharma profits and restricts bosses control over workers

Coverage of life saving drugs to make sure everyone can get them IS A FIX to our health care system

Government pharmaceutical coverage does not equal less pharma profits if anything probably increase them by having more people being able to buy their drugs. They will be able to keep their prices high with kick backs to politicians and their campaigns. Your paying for it either way, either out of pocket or through taxes.   

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Government pharmaceutical coverage does not equal less pharma profits if anything probably increase them by having more people being able to buy their drugs. They will be able to keep their prices high with kick backs to politicians and their campaigns. Your paying for it either way, either out of pocket or through taxes.   

Can you expand on that thought?   Maybe provide some examples of it happening?

4 minutes ago, Sapper said:

They should have 

England legislated country wide that employers can't request sick notes for 3 or less days off and it's freed up alot of appointments for people who.need to see a doc

Also each visit for just a note costs us tax dollars 

I agree. .. the NDP should have done more than just ask employers to stop and put it into the employment standards act

So why is this a conservative problem then? You admit the NDP has had all the time in the world to make changes but hasn't. You should be asking why they haven't done anything yet no?

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I do have some insight into the negotiations going on between the government and some pharma companies: the idea of a federal payer is that we would then as a nation be buying in bulk and that will reduce the costs of every medication that would fall under the National Pharmacare Plan... We are still about 4 to 6 years away from being able to scale and add more things to the basket because those negotiations and also existing contracts need to run their course. I have spoken directly to two health ministers about this over the last 4 or 5 years, so while I may be behind in the info for 2024, I am rather up to date on it up to 2023, when i last had a beer with a Minister.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

If I had even a sliver of hope that they were capable of doing that I wouldn't be saying what I am. Believe me though I would love that if they could 

lol, enjoy listening to the rhetoric of the boy who would be king then. I got nothin for ya.

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

So why is this a conservative problem then? You admit the NDP has had all the time in the world to make changes but hasn't. You should be asking why they haven't done anything yet no?

Conservatives have long been against things like this 

No excuse for the NDP not moving on it. I have emailed the health minister asking why they don't follow Ontarios lead

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sick-notes-ai-scribe-family-doctors-ontario-1.7183315

Provinces have.to deal with sick notes ... The feds need to either provide the pharma coverage ... Or provide direct funding to provinces with strict rules that it must result in coverage 

Just now, Sapper said:

Conservatives have long been against things like this 

No excuse for the NDP not moving on it. I have emailed the health minister asking why they don't follow Ontarios lead

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sick-notes-ai-scribe-family-doctors-ontario-1.7183315

Provinces have.to deal with sick notes ... The feds need to either provide the pharma coverage ... Or provide direct funding to provinces with strict rules that it must result in coverage 

But the conservatives are not in power and haven't been for quite some time. It's not a conservative issue anymore, it's the NDP's 

Look I agree the doctor note thing is stupid and should be changed but I also don't believe it would even have much of a impact on walk in clinic wait times 🤷

But the conservatives are not in power and haven't been for quite some time. It's not a conservative issue anymore, it's the NDP's 

Look I agree the doctor note thing is stupid and should be changed but I also don't believe it would even have much of a impact on walk in clinic wait times 🤷

Letting pharmacists prescribe directly for minor ailments has probably helped more.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Letting pharmacists prescribe directly for minor ailments has probably helped more.

While it's great they have expanded that but unfortunately where I live it has done absolutely nothing for wait times

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Look I agree the doctor note thing is stupid and should be changed but I also don't believe it would even have much of a impact on walk in clinic wait times 

Ontario doctor's report an average of 19 hours per week dealing with the sick notes and administrative work on them

At 10 min per patient that 6 visits per hour. Conservatively let's say 8 hours is actual hands on meeting time. That means 50 more patients per doctor on average will get an appointment each week

That alone will free up thousands and thousands of appointments each week province wide

It will make a noticeable difference....  It's not the end all to fixing it but would be a big improvement 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

While it's great they have expanded that but unfortunately where I live it has done absolutely nothing for wait times

I live in Victoria and it's the difference between being able to get meds that actually work for the pollen right now and being incapacitated.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I live in Victoria and it's the difference between being able to get meds that actually work for the pollen right now and being incapacitated.

Which again I don't dispute and is awesome but still doesn't help with the wait times experienced at walk in clinics currently. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Which again I don't dispute and is awesome but still doesn't help with the wait times experienced at walk in clinics currently. 

It's going to take multiple methods to actually solve the problem.  I don't want to clog up the Federal politics thread with this so let's take it over to the provincial one if you'd like to continue the conversation.

9 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

FB_IMG_1715019293554.jpg

I don't like the guy, but I don't have a problem with this.  Victoria had the same guy arrested for carjackings multiple days in a row.  At some point, the rights of the public to have some protection from individuals like this trump the rights of the accused.