Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I find it hard to believe there aren't egg farmers in the prairies... Why are we shipping eggs interprovincially...?

Hatching eggs.   We have 16 different breeds of Heritage chickens.  We are helping to preserve those breeds by making their eggs available.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 5/5/2024 at 3:53 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Those rights are already protected by law. Since like 18 years ago. So not sure why it even needs to be brought up other than to sow division. 

Also, are you suggesting they are taking away gay rights laws in the US?

There's been a large uptick in anti-lqbtq+ bills being proposed in the US over the past few years and Canada often mirrors the US on a number of fronts, I don't think concern is unwarranted. Particularly given the conservative candidate voted against same-sex marriage. 

I don't think it's so much the sowing of division as opposed to genuine concern that a social conservative party would take regressive approaches similar to that of the US republicans. Canada and the US are similar but different animals entirely, but that doesn't change the fact that politics up this way seem to have become more Americanized in recent years, or that fact that there are indeed folks up this way who would happily erode the rights of LGBTQ+ individuals because of their own beliefs. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Heretic said:

I didn't say Trudeau is a terrible person.  But if you're asking, I don't like him at all and can not believe how anyone would forgive him for him miscues before becoming a politician - yet will hold steadfast to not forgiving anyone else - just doesn't make sense to me.

Trudeau has the worst fiscal management of any Prime Minister - ever.

5.6% Percent Change in (Inflation-Adjusted) Debt per Person over Prime Ministerial Tenures Without a World War or Economic Downturn (2015-2019) - it's in the Fraser Institute link I posted.

PP has never been PM - maybe he will be worse - maybe better - maybe the same.  I have no idea - and neither does anyone here - and Trudeau,  before came to power, had no experience as a PM neither - yet people voted for him. 

Yes, you're right, it's would be more productive to ask why someone thinks anyone is a terrible person. 

And I'm not here to say Trudeau hasn't done anything wrong. For example, I don't appreciate the carbon tax and a lot of people around where I live are going to get negatively effected because of it with no way of working around it.

However, I have concerns for PP and the Conservative party that, in my opinion, outweigh the negative of what Trudeau's done. Without going into full details, it feels like PP's taken a lot of things out of Trump's book when it comes to his attacks. His statements are basically buzzwords and business lingo with hardly any solutions (and yes the Liberals do that too but not to the extent PP has). I've tried to look at Conservative proposed policies and ended up with more questions than answers.

So sure, maybe there will be a better fiscal policy in place under the Conservatives (in fact, most likely there will), but at what cost in the end? I'm historically a Conservative voter. I don't like Trudeau... but I think PP's going to be worse in the end unfortunately.

At the end of the day, I hate our options. Period.

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

FB_IMG_1715019293554.jpg

Nothing but a fear mongering opinion piece by some hack reporter.

Also, I agree 100% with PP wanting to deny bail to a repeat criminal who is charged with a new violent crime.  This should have been done a long time ago.  Props to the Conservative Party for wanting to make this change...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

338Canada Canada | Poll Analysis & Electoral Projections

As of May 5, looks like the Conservatives have added to their lead.  Up to 44% and 220 seats.

Trudeau will either need to resign or hire a new PR department because the one he has now isn't doing a very good job...

By time he’s done his path of destruction, Conservatives will probably have 275-300. The lower mainland for some sick deranged reason seems to be either too blind or too daft to see what he’s done to Canada. 

• ThereItIs 1
  • Desmenko 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

Don't elect CON MEN to lead the country and we should steer clear of that tarpit. 

https://breachmedia.ca/pierre-poilievre-conservatives-stack-council-corporate-lobbyists/

this article adds some insight into why the CONs are voting against todays pharmacare bill.

Canadians supporting CON MEN against their own best interests always confuses me. 

Its politics they are all con men, there are examples on both sides for lobbyists. Money and support from big business are crucial for most campaigning, nothing new.  

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/jagmeet-singh-says-the-liberals-and-conservatives-are-controlled-by-corporate-lobbyists-how-true-is/article_027c802a-f8f7-11ee-84be-77d85b36ea80.html

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Also, I agree 100% with PP wanting to deny bail to a repeat criminal who is charged with a new violent crime.  This should have been done a long time ago.  Props to the Conservative Party for wanting to make this change...

That hack reporter is a Conservative

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

It helps if people are at least directing their anger at the correct level of government instead of blaming all their problems on Trudeau.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-signs-3b-health-care-deal-with-feds-to-increase-access-to-doctors-reduce-wait-times-1.6762378

Are you saying the federal government has no involvement in health care whatsoever or?

Obviously most of the duty lays on the provincial government but its ignorant to suggest the federal government plays no role whatsoever 🤷

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

There's been a large uptick in anti-lqbtq+ bills being proposed in the US over the past few years and Canada often mirrors the US on a number of fronts, I don't think concern is unwarranted. Particularly given the conservative candidate voted against same-sex marriage. 

I don't think it's so much the sowing of division as opposed to genuine concern that a social conservative party would take regressive approaches similar to that of the US republicans. Canada and the US are similar but different animals entirely, but that doesn't change the fact that politics up this way seem to have become more Americanized in recent years, or that fact that there are indeed folks up this way who would happily erode the rights of LGBTQ+ individuals because of their own beliefs. 

PP uses the language of the US right, why wouldn't someone assume he'd carry through on new laws, particularly now that he's exposed his desire to use the notwithstanding clause.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-signs-3b-health-care-deal-with-feds-to-increase-access-to-doctors-reduce-wait-times-1.6762378

Are you saying the federal government has no involvement in health care whatsoever or?

Obviously most of the duty lays on the provincial government but its ignorant to suggest the federal government plays no role whatsoever 🤷

Feds give money, provinces implement.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Something something the left never has loaded headlines right?

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Hatching eggs.   We have 16 different breeds of Heritage chickens.  We are helping to preserve those breeds by making their eggs available.  

Off topic, do you gave Swedish Flower Chickens? 

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

So they do play a role even if a small one no?

They can set priorities for sure, and they have some national areas of coverage.

But 90% of implementation decisions are provincial.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

338Canada Canada | Poll Analysis & Electoral Projections

As of May 5, looks like the Conservatives have added to their lead.  Up to 44% and 220 seats.

Trudeau will either need to resign or hire a new PR department because the one he has now isn't doing a very good job...

44% of a poll is not 44% of the population voting for them

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly.  PP denying bail to repeat violent offenders turns into a headline that PP is going to take away all of your rights.  Talk about media spin...

If I wanted to test my ability to use the notwithstanding clause in the future I'd be sure to pick something like this today as a test run.   

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

If I wanted to test my ability to use the notwithstanding clause in the future I'd be sure to pick something like this

After Moe.used it in Saskatchewan over 16 Email requests and a court stepping into to say not so fast in his panic rush to appease the fringe ..... The not withstanding clause has become a weapon and not what it was ever intended for. He like his conservative counter parts stopped pretending some time ago that they believe in democracy or the rule of law.

Since con supports are crying hacks to anyone saying wtf? 

Let's be real here ..... I wouldn't be at all surprised if PP uses the not withstanding clause to all his governing as a key warning that he is King and non may challenge him

This is the problem with silver spoon babies who have never had to actually work a job .... If you have done your time in fast food and other crappy low wage and bad boss jobs you'd have atleast.some.empathy towards the peasants 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Is this supposed to be some sort of excuse or something? Doesn't matter if it's the provincial, federal or the damn king of England. Shits falling apart man and people are fed up

Quality of if life is objectively worse than 8 years ago, GLOBALLY. Between a pandemic, it's supply chain issues, wars, global aging population, climate change costing us billions (floods, fires, crops), corporate profiteering, increasing wage gap etc, etc. Trying to pin that on the minority Liberal government is just ignorant. And no, that's not too say they're without faults. I'm not a Liberal supporter. I am however a facts, common sense and Canada supporter.

Now tell me how the even more pro-corporate, anti-worker, social safety net slashing, climate change denying "axe the tax" Conservatives are going to improve things from that list?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2