Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

They are different elections one is federal and one is provincal. You have a say in both, and also a say in what province you live in. The province that did have a ban was PEI and its barely a province. Abortion is one of the first things brought up in a federal election and I'm just not sure why as the chance of Canada on a federal level banning abortions is 0%. Just seems weird as there are so many real issues facing Canada at the moment as a whole, and most are expected to get much worse. You would think ensuring Canadians have the most basic needs covered like being able to afford food and shelter would be part of the discussion.  

There ARE a lot of issues facing Canada.  You're right.  It's weird to think that this might be an actual issue

Until you realize how long and loudly Pierre has spoken about the LBGT community and gender education in schools, his history with being a staunch anti abortionist and his identity politicking to piss people off.

So ya it's weird, but this is the crap he keeps throwing his base

12 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I think there is some chance a middle party could become a major player. Imagine an actual middle platform with say 40 seats, could do a lot of good.

Need some ranked ballot election reform...

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 hours ago, Bob Long said:

8 provinces, for now.

I don't know if it will ever really be a thing, but I like a lot of what the centre ice/Canadian future folks are talking about.

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I've been sort of following them and I do like what they're preaching/saying as it makes a ton of sense for the moderates.

But we've been a two party nation since inception.  NO other party has ever held power and the NDP have barely broken the Blocs seat record with their best showing ever under Layton.

It will be 10-20 years before they gain any level of traction unless they can splinter the largest most visible names from the "conservative brand" to give themselves some credibility

Their whole schtick is "do you like the Liberals policies but you have fallen for the attacks on the PM? Then we are the party for you!

what i am saying is they will never take flight in any meaningful way because they are only intend to be the liberal party but a tick back to the right from left of center. it is a party built simply around the conservatives push to oust JT. Just my opinion of course, and it leaves out a lot of the rough edges, but in broad strokes that is all it looks like to me. Just like the PPC is just Bernier's version of the CPC... he got butthurt that he wasn't the new leader of the right wing movement..so he made his own clubhouse. lol. 

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

There ARE a lot of issues facing Canada.  You're right.  It's weird to think that this might be an actual issue

Until you realize how long and loudly Pierre has spoken about the LBGT community and gender education in schools, his history with being a staunch anti abortionist and his identity politicking to piss people off.

So ya it's weird, but this is the crap he keeps throwing his base

I dont really pay close attention to what he says, but through my passings I have not heard his bash the LBGTQ community. He usually just says very common sense statements that are super obvious and probably don't even need to be said, but because Trudeau dropping the ball big time some of them actually hit pretty hard. 

The Canadian economy gained 90,000 jobs in April, much higher than the average of 20,000 jobs many economists were predicting for the latest Labour Force Survey numbers from Statistics Canada.

EDIT: it is almost as if Canada isn't broken at all, but who would lie about such a thing as that? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

They are different elections one is federal and one is provincal. You have a say in both, and also a say in what province you live in. The province that did have a ban was PEI and its barely a province. Abortion is one of the first things brought up in a federal election and I'm just not sure why as the chance of Canada on a federal level banning abortions is 0%. Just seems weird as there are so many real issues facing Canada at the moment as a whole, and most are expected to get much worse. You would think ensuring Canadians have the most basic needs covered like being able to afford food and shelter would be part of the discussion.  

Then why are the cons bringing it up instead of pretending they're capable of acting like civilized people?

Almost 4 years ago, Trudeau bragged that interest rates were at 'historic lows.' Now, Trudeau's inflationary budgets, supported by Jagmeet Singh, are destroying the working class with higher interest rates & housing costs.

Not worth the cost....

7 minutes ago, bolt said:

Almost 4 years ago, Trudeau bragged that interest rates were at 'historic lows.' Now, Trudeau's inflationary budgets, supported by Jagmeet Singh, are destroying the working class with higher interest rates & housing costs.

Not worth the cost....

I guess he is responsible for inflation world wide then?

• Vintage 1

Pellerin: Shunting public servants back to the office three days a week is just stupid

Professionals don’t deserve to be treated like toddlers who can’t be without supervision just because someone else wants a slice of their after-tax income. Fixing downtown shouldn’t be on them.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/pellerin-shunting-public-servants-back-to-the-office-three-days-a-week-is-just-stupid

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I guess he is responsible for inflation world wide then?

And don’t forget higher interest rates in the US. Damn he is terrible. 

26 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

The Canadian economy gained 90,000 jobs in April, much higher than the average of 20,000 jobs many economists were predicting for the latest Labour Force Survey numbers from Statistics Canada.

EDIT: it is almost as if Canada isn't broken at all, but who would lie about such a thing as that? 

Umm, the unemployment rate hasn't changed at all, in fact it has gone up over the last year...

Canadian employment rose by 90,400, or 0.4 per cent, to 20.491 million in April. The unemployment rate was unchanged at 6.1 per cent. Average hourly wages rose 4.7 per cent year-over-year to $34.95 last month, while total hours worked were up 1.2 per cent from April of last year.

unemployment rate.png

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Asking rent prices up 9.3% across Canada, Ontario sees only decline: report

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/asking-rent-prices-up-9-3-across-canada-ontario-sees-only-decline-report-1.6881713

I thought rent prices were going down because of the ban on short term rentals?  At least that is what I was told in another thread.  What happened?

April 2024 Metro Vancouver Rent Report | liv.rent blog

RentReport_Vancouver_2024_Apr-EN_Blog-3-980x687 (1).jpg

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

Just now, The Arrogant Worms said:

That ban just started.  Too early to tell if it changes anything.

The ban was announced in October.  People had lots of time to prepare.  I was told rents had already dropped as inventory levels were rising.  Of course that is not true, I knew it wasn't true cause I have all of the stats.  Inventory levels have risen as a whole as they always do in the spring real estate market.  Doesn't mean rental inventory is any higher.

Also, the income to rent ratio is completely out of whack.  It's at 61.65%.  That means the average renter is spending over 60% of their income soley on rent.  In comparison, in order to qualify for a mortgage, the maximum GDSR (gross debt service ratio) is only 32%.  So, it's almost double.  Insane...

As of this April, our data found that the average Metro Vancouver renter spends 61.65% of their monthly income on rent. This is over double the recommended 30% rent-to-income ratio and reflects the mismatch between supply and demand for housing in the region.

RentReport_Vancouver_2024_Apr-EN_Blog-7-980x452.jpg

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Average hourly wages rose 4.7 per cent year-over-year to $34.95 last month, while total hours worked were up 1.2 per cent from April of last year.

Whaaaaaaat? I should be asking for a raise. Just when I thought I was doing decently and making an average-above average wage.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Shhhhhh.  Workers making mo money, gonna get blamed for pricey wicey going uppy wuppy.

Gotta pay for the $50 car washes somehow.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

That ban just started.  Too early to tell if it changes anything.

Spoiler alert. It won't for 2 reasons at least. 

1. Lack of housing being built currently.

2. Population growth is too high right now

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Spoiler alert. It won't for 2 reasons at least. 

1. Lack of housing being built currently.

2. Population growth is too high right now

Increased access to contraception and protecting the right of women to get an abortion can help address #2 at least.  I'm glad you're in favor of these measures.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Confused 1