Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

13 hours ago, Dizzle said:

No, but I don’t expect to find much agreement on this particular forum for the idea that the abortion argument has never actually hinged on women’s rights… but it sure sounds good if you can frame that as the primary issue in the discussion. I would even be willing to bet most people who say that really do believe it and in that case, who wouldn’t want to be for it… women’s right are important. 

like I said, I’m glad more people are moving away from the pro-abortion ideology. It’s long past due. 

I disagree that more people are moving away from it....It's more a case of those that have always been on the other side of the argument are getting louder and politicians and judges are now pushing a religious ideology that was always intended to be separate from government....

• ThereItIs 1

44 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Maybe mastermind gave you a confused face because you thought people should be forced to take a covid shot and now can't understand how people can make choices for somebody else

Nah. That would imply that he put some thought into it. The confusy face is his stock reply to any post he doesn't like.

In a way, you have to admire that level of contrarianism, coupled with such dedicated laziness....

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Maybe mastermind gave you a confused face because you thought people should be forced to take a covid shot and now can't understand how people can make choices for somebody else

I never said that, so it makes sense he'd be confused.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

That's incorrect. At no time does a politician or anybody else ever have a right to tell you what to do or put in your body

I look forward to seeing how you will defend that statement.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/personal-finance/young-money/article-poilievres-promise-to-end-deficits-sets-collision-course-with-boomers/

And there it is. To fulfill his promise OAS and Health Care must be cut. And not just a bit .... To the bone 

If your not rich enough to retire without OAS your screwed. If you ever need health care your screwed 

Canada is about to.ne completely dismantled all in the name of his master's .... Corporations 

It's not so much his social agenda I fear ..... It's seeing 80 year olds working at McDonald and living on the streets because of the loss of OAS and their health care

It's not fear mongering or hypothetical....it's the only items big enough to produce the amount he is guaranteeing. Since he's promised to cut taxes not increase ... It means cuts is all there is. And we only have a couple of items big enough to realise the amounts needed

People need to I understand they are voting for neverretirement and thr leading cause of bankruptcy will be the same as the USA .... Health care bills

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sapper said:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/personal-finance/young-money/article-poilievres-promise-to-end-deficits-sets-collision-course-with-boomers/

And there it is. To fulfill his promise OAS and Health Care must be cut. And not just a bit .... To the bone 

If your not rich enough to retire without OAS your screwed. If you ever need health care your screwed 

Canada is about to.ne completely dismantled all in the name of his master's .... Corporations 

It's not so much his social agenda I fear ..... It's seeing 80 year olds working at McDonald and living on the streets because of the loss of OAS and their health care

It's not fear mongering or hypothetical....it's the only items big enough to produce the amount he is guaranteeing. Since he's promised to cut taxes not increase ... It means cuts is all there is. And we only have a couple of items big enough to realise the amounts needed

People need to understand they are voting for neverretirement and the leading cause of bankruptcy will be the same as the USA .... Health care bills

The reporter all but suggests outright seniors should prepare to go broke and give up healthcare to do their part to maintain business tax cuts and no deficits 

A sick.new twist to the do your part posters

"Work till your ready then do your part by dying to save money for your fellow Canadians" lol

6 minutes ago, Sapper said:

11 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Nobody isGNLQAZKW8AEpqKq.thumb.jpeg.4dceaff8e9e81a5bb4d754ca6092ae9b.jpeg

What people say and what they do can differ.  The tide turned pretty quickly in the states.

Why the recent rumblings from certain conservatives?   Does that mean anything?   If we have noticed and have some concerns is that not understandable?

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

What people say and what they do can differ.  The tide turned pretty quickly in the states.

Why the recent rumblings from certain conservatives?   Does that mean anything?   If we have noticed and have some concerns is that not understandable

I guess you're correct people can say something and do the opposite. Just like Trudeau said he wouldn't go after hunting rifles and that proved to be BS

Harper was in government for how long and didn't touch the abortion issue like the left said he would. Why would they now?  It's political suicide for any party to say that. You're always gonna have a couple pro life conservatives but that doesn't mean they're gonna get their wish. They're not, even Pierre said so. The supreme court protected abortions in 1988, but if you think PP could change that(he can't) then why have the liberals not even further protected them in the Charter or something more concrete then?  

The bottom line is the liberals are tanking and desperate and this is one of their last go to moves. Just like the gun buyback that they coincidentally extended again to October 2025. I mean what are the odds of that.  I can already see the headlines "PeePee wants everybody walking around the streets with military style assault rifles". You know the same rifles that are "too scary" for anyone to take to the gun range but have been perfectly safe in peoples gun safes for over 4 years 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

I guess you're correct people can say something and do the opposite. Just like Trudeau said he wouldn't go after hunting rifles and that proved to be BS

Harper was in government for how long and didn't touch the abortion issue like the left said he would. Why would they now?  It's political suicide for any party to say that. You're always gonna have a couple pro life conservatives but that doesn't mean they're gonna get their wish. They're not, even Pierre said so. The supreme court protected abortions in 1988, but if you think PP could change that(he can't) then why have the liberals not even further protected them in the Charter or something more concrete then?  

The bottom line is the liberals are tanking and desperate and this is one of their last go to moves. Just like the gun buyback that they coincidentally extended again to October 2025. I mean what are the odds of that.  I can already see the headlines "PeePee wants everybody walking around the streets with military style assault rifles". You know the same rifles that are "too scary" for anyone to take to the gun range but have been perfectly safe in peoples gun safes for over 4 years 

Some logic there. Some snippy digs at JT and the libs as well.  I liked the logic part.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sapper said:

People need to I understand they are voting for neverretirement and thr leading cause of bankruptcy will be the same as the USA .... Health care bills

Where exactly in the article does it say that PP will be cutting OAS and health care?  I must have missed that paragraph...

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Spring Salmon said:

I'm not even sure where this whole abortion argument started other than maybe a Conservative MLA bringing it up.  There are lots of Conservatives who are pro-life.  Doesn't mean the Conservative Party is going to try and change anything.  Like you said, Harper didn't touch it and neither will PP.  It's really a non-issue and I don't even think Trudeau is going to waste his time campaigning on it...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm not even sure where this whole abortion argument started other than maybe a Conservative MLA bringing it up.  There are lots of Conservatives who are pro-life.  Doesn't mean the Conservative Party is going to try and change anything.  Like you said, Harper didn't touch it and neither will PP.  It's really a non-issue and I don't even think Trudeau is going to waste him time campaigning on it...

Correct you are. I could never imagine Trudeau sowing division for political points...  😂 

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm not even sure where this whole abortion argument started other than maybe a Conservative MLA bringing it up.  There are lots of Conservatives who are pro-life.  Doesn't mean the Conservative Party is going to try and change anything.  Like you said, Harper didn't touch it and neither will PP.  It's really a non-issue and I don't even think Trudeau is going to waste him time campaigning on it...

That's all we've  been saying - people are bringing it up.  Why are they saying it? Does it mean anything?  Is it just pandering for votes?  Is it more than that?

Reasonable questions.   I would not bother trying to answer any of them.  None of us really know the answers and will just have to wait and see what unfolds.

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

That's all we've  been saying - people are bringing it up.  Why are they saying it? Does it mean anything?  Is it just pandering for votes?  Is it more than that?

Reasonable questions.   I would not bother trying to answer any of them.  None of us really know the answers and will just have to wait and see what unfolds.

To be fair thought PP follows Trump pretty close in his actions and words.  One look at how Trump bragged he wouldn't touch it then back doored the workaround to have someone else do the dirty work should be a clear indicator on what to expect here

Now stacking our supreme court won't work as well here ... But steps such as defunding , ordering abortion out of publicly funded health care sites etc would have just about the same effect as criminalizing it.

That way PP can say he left it to provinces and blame them ...

7 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Correct you are. I could never imagine Trudeau sowing division for political points...  😂 

I can sure see it being perceived that way.