Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Don’t worry, the budget will balance itself. 

As per somebody named always_reading on Reddit:

Since this quote is being over-used in Conservative attack ads, I feel it is important for Canadians to view the quote in context. From there, people can make a more informed decision about what it means.

The interview lasts less than 5 minutes and focuses entirely on the budget. The quote comes at the very end when the interviewer asked Mr. Trudeau how committed he would be to a balanced budget, would it worry him to go into deficit in the current economic climate. Justin Trudeau answered: "The commitment needs to be a commitment to grow the economy, and the budget will balance itself. This way [the way the Conservatives were doing it], they're artificially fixing a target of a balanced budget in an election year and they're going through all kinds of twists and bends to get it just right, and the timing just right in the announcement. And that's irresponsible. What you need to do is create an economy that works for Canadians, works for middle class Canadians, allows young people to find a job, allows seniors to feel secure in their retirement."

An expected retort will be 'Well, what has happened since that 2015 quote?'    Well, lots.  Here and all over the world.

Edited by Satchmo
typo
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Since this quote is being over-used in Conservative attack ads, I feel it is important for Canadians to view the quote in context. From there, people can make a more informed decision about what it means.

The interview lasts less than 5 minutes and focuses entirely on the budget. The quote comes at the very end when the interviewer asked Mr. Trudeau how committed he would be to a balanced budget, would it worry him to go into deficit in the current economic climate. Justin Trudeau answered: "The commitment needs to be a commitment to grow the economy, and the budget will balance itself. This way [the way the Conservatives were doing it], they're artificially fixing a target of a balanced budget in an election year and they're going through all kinds of twists and bends to get it just right, and the timing just right in the announcement. And that's irresponsible. What you need to do is create an economy that works for Canadians, works for middle class Canadians, allows young people to find a job, allows seniors to feel secure in their retirement."

An expected retort will be 'Well, what has happened since that 2015 quote?'    Well, lots.  Here and all over the world.

Trudeau never balanced a budget, not in 2016, 2017, 2018 or 2019.  So, what has happened all over the world since 2020 is irrelevant to the discussion of balancing budgets.

As for Trudeau stating that we need to create an economy that works for all Canadians including the middle class and young people, how exactly has that worked out for them over the past 9 years?  If young people are better off today than in 2015, then why do the polls show that the majority of young people today are voting for the Conservative Party?  Can you explain that?

The survey found that 41 per cent of 30-44 year-olds would vote Conservative if the election was held tomorrow, compared to 20 per cent Liberal. For 18-29-year-olds, 34 per cent said they would vote Conservative, compared to 21 per cent leaning Liberal. The Liberals also trail the NDP in both age cohorts. Abacus Data spoke with 3,550 adults across Canada — with an intentional oversampling in Ontario and Alberta — between March 16 and 21. 

https://abacusdata.ca/conservative-party-leads-by-17-over-liberals/

21 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

its so stupid, they just keep using it as if its saying something. 

Along with his social bizarreness, this is another reason that I can't vote CPC, they just wallow in the bull shit constantly. 

Unless our friend Bolt can show me a plan, I'm open to reading one. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Trudeau never balanced a budget, not in 2016, 2017, 2018 or 2019.  So, what has happened all over the world since 2020 is irrelevant to the discussion of balancing budgets.

As for Trudeau stating that we need to create an economy that works for all Canadians including the middle class and young people, how exactly has that worked out for them over the past 9 years?  If young people are better off today than in 2015, then why do the polls show that the majority of young people today are voting for the Conservative Party?  Can you explain that?

The survey found that 41 per cent of 30-44 year-olds would vote Conservative if the election was held tomorrow, compared to 20 per cent Liberal. For 18-29-year-olds, 34 per cent said they would vote Conservative, compared to 21 per cent leaning Liberal. The Liberals also trail the NDP in both age cohorts. Abacus Data spoke with 3,550 adults across Canada — with an intentional oversampling in Ontario and Alberta — between March 16 and 21. 

https://abacusdata.ca/conservative-party-leads-by-17-over-liberals/

This I know.

Do you still feel your initial post was more than just a chirp?   Could any politician have said the same, or a very similar, thing?  Are 'points' made quoting a few words from a quote without context really a good way to win people over to your point of view?

BTW - Why must (almost) every one of your posts end with yet another chirp or yet another a review of some poll?  Do you not feel your initial argument was valid enough to stand on its' own? 

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

This I know.

Do you still feel your initial post was more than just a chirp?   Could any politician have said the same, or a very similar, thing?  Are 'points' made quoting a few words from a quote without context really a good way to win people over to your point of view?

BTW - Why must (almost) every one of your posts end with yet another chirp or yet another a review of some poll?  Do you not feel your initial argument was valid enough to stand on its' own? 

the real question is how the heck is the Green Party still polling at 5.2% 🤣

Just now, Bob Long said:

its so stupid, they just keep using it as if its saying something. 

Along with his social bizarreness, this is another reason that I can't vote CPC, they just wallow in the bull shit constantly. 

Unless our friend Bolt can show me a plan, I'm open to reading one. 

What's Trudeau's plan?

He ran on making housing more affordable. That hasn't happened.

He also planned to build more housing. Hasn't hit those targets either.

Electoral reform? That hasn't happened and clearly won't.

He also promised every Canadian would have a family doctor. Again hasn't happened.

Promised to restore the economy. Again, also hasn't happened.

So again I ask. What's Justin Trudeau's plan? 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What's Trudeau's plan?

He also promised every Canadian would have a family doctor. Again hasn't happened.

Are you suggesting that Trudeau has no plan and is running out of time?

R (1).gif

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

35 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Hes certainly created an economy that works for Canadians since then…

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

This I know.

Are you trying to justify Trudeau's comments about "the budget balancing itself?  You can't, so instead you attack the poster instead of the post.  Is that all you got?

I posted the poll numbers because they are directly related to what Trudeau said 9 years ago.  He hasn't helped the young people at all, not now not ever.  That's why he's tanking in the polls and young voters aren't voting for him.  If the truth hurts you then that's really not my problem...

46 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What's Trudeau's plan?

Some success on each of those, but didn't hit the targets, outside of electoral reform which was a flop.

Now, what's PPs plan, can't you just answer that directly and simply?

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are you trying to justify Trudeau's comments about "the budget balancing itself?  You can't, so instead you attack the poster instead of the post.  Is that all you got?

I posted the poll numbers because they are directly related to what Trudeau said 9 years ago.  He hasn't helped the young people at all, not now not ever.  That's why he's tanking in the polls and young voters aren't voting for him.  If the truth hurts you then that's really not my problem...

I got way more than that.   And it was the post I was commenting on.

All I've been questioning is taking a few select words from a quote and running with them.  Remember the post that initially started this?   Why not quote the whole thing and then pick it apart?

(and I have to admit, all the addendums at the end of posts is something I've noticed before and have always questioned.  I'd ask the same questions of anyone else and have.)   

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Some success on each of those, but didn't hit the targets, outside of electoral reform which was a flop.

Now, what's PPs plan, can't you just answer that directly and simply?

Where was his success? He hasn't hit any targets or goals

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Yes he has. He's kept or partially kept a majority of them: 

https://www.polimeter.org/en/trudeau

And that's with having to compromise in a minority half the time.

Now answer my question.

He's had 9 years and the best we can do is he's "partially kept some of his promises" 

That's how government in Canada works. That's not an excuse.

PP has stated his plan multiple times. Will he be successful? Who knows? Probably not? All I know is after 9 years it's someone else's turn to try

Posted (edited)

Minister Khera defends Canada Disability Benefit amid criticism

Feds 'committed to doing more,' but minister offers no timeline for Canadian Disability Benefit boost

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/feds-committed-to-doing-more-but-minister-offers-no-timeline-for-canadian-disability-benefit-boost-1.6883122

I'm honestly very unhappy with this government right now. They raised hopes for the disabled-impoverished community and then failed to deliver anything significant to help. They said the mission of this benefit program was to lift people out of poverty, but it works out to a pittance of $200*month and is only available to people who receive the Disability Tax Credit--that is, it's only available to less than half of the total disabled demographic in the country. The Liberals had an opportunity to create a serious social program which takes meaningful action to lift millions of Canadians out of poverty, which would align with their promises in relation to the benefit, but now they're saving face by calling it a 'first step'--a first step people have been waiting years for already and one that only comes into force next July. I seriously doubt there are going to be any more steps taken here by this government before they're out. And then we'll have a Conservative rule which could not care less about bringing this program into a better state. I'm also somewhat disappointed by Singh/the NDP for supporting the budget after this farce. They did accomplish quite a bit with the pharma- and dental care and with the school lunch program, and I get that it's not an opportune time for the government to fall in the eyes of the NDP, but a lot of me really wishes that Singh put his fist down.

Edited by 112
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Energy

Poilievre has promised to cancel Ottawa’s carbon price on consumer goods and build more pipelines. He says Canada would rely on technology to tackle its greenhouse-gas emissions, but hasn’t provided further detail.

- but details are exactly what we've been asking for. 

Government budgets

He promised to enact a “Pay-As-You-Go Law” that would cap federal spending at its budgeted amount and force it to find savings when something new is added. Poilievre says emergencies such as natural disasters and pandemics would be exempt from his rule, but new spending projects would require officials to look at existing budgets and to find what can be cut or changed to curb spending.

- vague again and just a little scary in regards to what might be cut.

Freedom of expression

Poilievre said a government led by him would promote free speech on university campuses by withholding federal funding to institutions that don’t commit to doing so. He also promises to appoint a former judge as a “free speech guardian” to probe any alleged violations.

- vague and extremely scary.  Do we have  problem with free speech on campuses now?  Maybe just too much woke talk for PP's liking.

Bank of Canada

Poilievre pledged to adopt a bill first introduced by former Conservative leader Andrew Scheer, who helped with his campaign, that would subject the central bank to the federal auditor general.

- might be good might be bad.  I'll withhold comment for now.

He also received intense criticism for a promise to fire Tiff Macklem as the Bank of Canada governor over the country’s high rate of inflation.

- We must have a scapegoat!

Poilievre also promised to ban the central bank’s proposed digital currency, although early in the campaign he also pledged that a Poilievre government would make it easier for Canadians to use cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin.

- Huh?

Housing

Poilievre said he’d force cities such as Toronto and Vancouver to increase new home building by 15 per cent, under threat of losing federal funding, in an effort to bring down housing prices. He also promised a slate of other measures, including paying an extra $10,000 to municipalities for every new home that is built, and converting federal properties into affordable housing.

- How will he 'force' those cities?  Where will they get the money for this?  10 grand per new home won't help them much.

Immigration

He promised to incentivize provincial governments to ensure licensing bodies rule on newcomers’ applications within 60 days. Poilievre also said he would provide more study loans to those immigrating to Canada who need extra training to meet licensing requirements.

-vague again.  Describe the incentives.    Assisting immigrant professionals to get Canadian certification is something I can agree with.

1 hour ago, 112 said:

Minister Khera defends Canada Disability Benefit amid criticism

Feds 'committed to doing more,' but minister offers no timeline for Canadian Disability Benefit boost

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/feds-committed-to-doing-more-but-minister-offers-no-timeline-for-canadian-disability-benefit-boost-1.6883122

I'm honestly very unhappy with this government right now. They raised hopes for the disabled-impoverished community and then failed to deliver anything significant to help. They said the mission of this benefit program was to lift people out of poverty, but it works out to a pittance of $200*month and is only available to people who receive the Disability Tax Credit--that is, it's only available to less than half of the total disabled demographic in the country. The Liberals had an opportunity to create a serious social program which takes meaningful action to lift millions of Canadians out of poverty, which would align with their promises in relation to the benefit, but now they're saving face by calling it a 'first step'--a first step people have been waiting years for already and one that only comes into force next July. I seriously doubt there are going to be any more steps taken here by this government before they're out. And then we'll have a Conservative rule which could not care less about bringing this program into a better state. I'm also somewhat disappointed by Singh/the NDP for supporting the budget after this farce. They did accomplish quite a bit with the pharma- and dental care and with the school lunch program, and I get that it's not an opportune time for the government to fall in the eyes of the NDP, but a lot of me really wishes that Singh put his fist down.

The Country won’t give Power to the NDP. 

So, the next best option is to have a mix of NDP and The Libs. 

‘We’ get progressively better because of the NDP, but also have a modicum of fiscal discipline/pro-business responsibility with the Liberals. 

The Cons are being led by a guy that is too extreme on both of those areas. 

Balance is what Canada needs. IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

5 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

He's had 9 years and the best we can do is he's "partially kept some of his promises" 

That's how government in Canada works. That's not an excuse.

PP has stated his plan multiple times. Will he be successful? Who knows? Probably not? All I know is after 9 years it's someone else's turn to try

But he hasn't really stated his plans ... Just his ideas

It's the what's and ifs that are missing and those matter 

To fund Harper's business tax cuts he legislated the poorest seniors would have to wait till 67 to get OAS and that was never mentioned prior to his majority term. It was cruel and was done to our working poor .... Seniors so poor that welfare often pays more 

His ideas on housing have been copied by the libs and we see several provinces going to court to block it as it by passes their provincial government ( provinces don't want communities not supporting them getting fed money ,)

So the big problem is PP 's ideas without the "what's being cut to pay for it" and the answer to after killing pharmacare / dental and child care programs & what specifically is going to replace them and show us the math on how that will leave those impacted at least as well off or better than those 3 programs ..... And of course who he will be giving those tax savings to ? ( Who gets the money )

• Like 1