Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This could easily be achieved if Trudeau would simply step down for the good of the party and let someone else take over.  Why isn't he capable of doing this?  What is his motivation for running for a 3rd term when he knows that people aren't going to vote for him no matter what he does?  It's almost like he is a dictator.

And this issue could easily be solved with term limits.  They have this in the USA.  No President can run for more than two 4-year terms, or 8 years maximum.  Trudeau is going on to his 10th year next year, so he will be 10 years in before the next election.  That shouldn't be allowed to happen.  By law, the Liberals should be running a new candidate for the next election.  That would easily solve the problem of a politician having a shelf life and losing an election because people simply want to punt him out...

Yes, and while this seems unlikely I hope it happens. Unfortunately it might take a federal loss for it to happen. 

Why? Could be ego, could be his self-worth is now tied to his job, we'll probably never actually know. 

The prospect of term limits is interesting, over the past couple decades we've seen leaders serving longer. Trudeau, Chretien, and Harper have all overseen three governments, each rank in the top 10 when it comes to the longevity of a PM. Historically there have been several PM's who haven't had that kind of longevity, but perhaps this more recent trend of PM's sticking around longer isn't a positive one. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prime_ministers_of_Canada_by_time_in_office

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sadly we have a number of morans north of the border who lap up Poo Poo’s crap. 

its kind of been this way for a long time. As much as I appreciate structural things that Mulroney did, he also started a trend of pandering to Ronnie. In those days tho we could still influence the US, on things like acid rain and South Africa. 

Now its us adopting Fox News horse shit. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

its kind of been this way for a long time. As much as I appreciate structural things that Mulroney did, he also started a trend of pandering to Ronnie. In those days tho we could still influence the US, on things like acid rain and South Africa. 

Now its us adopting Fox News horse shit. 

It was mostly fine until the Reform nutjobs took over the CPC.  That's why I was hoping the PPC would have provided a place for those idiots.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I can't believe how many are not just buying into his big lie but banking on it. Axing the carbon tax is not going to be passed on to consumers and anyone who thinks it is .... Is in for a very rude suprise 

Axing the carbon tax will only show on your home heating bills.... Every other item is at the sole discretion of the business and they won't be passing one cent on .... 

So many people so brain washed they are buying PP's big lie that a that carbon tax going to be lining their pockets in gold 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sapper said:

I can't believe how many are not just buying into his big lie but banking on it. Axing the carbon tax is not going to be passed on to consumers and anyone who thinks it is .... Is in for a very rude suprise 

Axing the carbon tax will only show on your home heating bills.... Every other item is at the sole discretion of the business and they won't be passing one cent on .... 

So many people so brain washed they are buying PP's big lie that a that carbon tax going to be lining their pockets in gold 

The only people receiving any benefit will be the shareholders.

12 hours ago, Sapper said:

Remember the BC HST debacle?

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What? 

$3 million government funds of waste including bringing rapper Baba Brinkman to rap about climate change.   Baba Brinkman who is a son of a Liberal MP was paid an undisclosed amount of money to rap in Dubai.  

Is this good use of taxpayer money?

Edited by bolt

1 minute ago, bolt said:

$3 million government funds of waste including bringing rapper Baba Brinkman to rap about climate change.  Is this good use of taxpayer money.   Baba Brnkman who is a son of a Liberal MP was paid an undisclosed amount of money to rap in Dubai.

Probably more fun than a fake lake.

What's the "embezzlement" part?

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, bolt said:

Paying a MPs son to rap.  

Did he rap for free?

How is that a crime? You PP huggers are following the US shtick too closely, everything you don't like is a crime.

Do you really look at the US and want to turn Canada into that?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

How is that a crime? You PP huggers are following the US shtick too closely, everything you don't like is a crime.

Do you really look at the US and want to turn Canada into that?

The horrible rap was a crime let alone paying him for it.

So everytime we vote out Liberals, we turn Canada into the US?

Edited by bolt

24 minutes ago, bolt said:

Embezzling money to Liberal MP's children who rap poorly will pay for itself.  

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/newly-released-figures-put-canadas-cost-of-attending-climate-change-summit-at-nearly-3m

I'm not going to comment on the guy's musicality but it sounds like he's been involved with this kind of stuff for years.

Environment and ecology rap[edit]

Brinkman was commissioned by the WILD Foundation to produce The Rap Guide to Wilderness in 2014. The album was critically acclaimed and features songs about biodiversity, extinction, conservation, habitat loss and trophic cascade.[47][48][49][50][51]

In 2015 Brinkman's play Rap Guide to Climate Chaos premiered at the Edinburgh Fringe,[52][53][54] followed by performances at the COP21 United Nations Climate Change Conference.[55] "Climate Chaos" went on to play-off-Broadway for six months in 2016, and featured Michael E. Mann, Gavin Schmidt, Naomi Oreskes and Bill Nye as talkback speakers.[56][57] Bill Nye also features on the album version of "Climate Chaos", rapping the chorus of the track "What's Beef", which remixes a Notorious B.I.G. song to discuss climate change denial.[58] Rap Guide to Climate Chaos summarizes the science, politics, and economics of climate change and advocates for a global carbon tax as part of the solution.[59]

In 2016, after the election of Donald Trump, Brinkman worked with Gary Yohe at Wesleyan University, a senior contributor to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and co-recipient along with Al Gore of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize, to produce a new song and video titled "Erosion", summarizing data from the National Climate Assessment on the U.S.-based physical impacts of climate change.[60][61]

Instead of focusing on his mom's job, how about his dads?

Dirk Brinkman, Sr., who is notable for having founded the world's only private company responsible for planting more than one billion trees.

Brinkman spent his early summers in remote tree planting camps, and began planting trees himself at the age of 15.[5] He worked for his parents' business, Brinkman & Associates Reforestation, for twelve seasons in British Columbia and Alberta, personally planting more than one million trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Brinkman

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

I'm not going to comment on the guy's musicality but it sounds like he's been involved with this kind of stuff for years.

Environment and ecology rap[edit]

Brinkman was commissioned by the WILD Foundation to produce The Rap Guide to Wilderness in 2014. The album was critically acclaimed and features songs about biodiversity, extinction, conservation, habitat loss and trophic cascade.[47][48][49][50][51]

In 2015 Brinkman's play Rap Guide to Climate Chaos premiered at the Edinburgh Fringe,[52][53][54] followed by performances at the COP21 United Nations Climate Change Conference.[55] "Climate Chaos" went on to play-off-Broadway for six months in 2016, and featured Michael E. Mann, Gavin Schmidt, Naomi Oreskes and Bill Nye as talkback speakers.[56][57] Bill Nye also features on the album version of "Climate Chaos", rapping the chorus of the track "What's Beef", which remixes a Notorious B.I.G. song to discuss climate change denial.[58] Rap Guide to Climate Chaos summarizes the science, politics, and economics of climate change and advocates for a global carbon tax as part of the solution.[59]

In 2016, after the election of Donald Trump, Brinkman worked with Gary Yohe at Wesleyan University, a senior contributor to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and co-recipient along with Al Gore of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize, to produce a new song and video titled "Erosion", summarizing data from the National Climate Assessment on the U.S.-based physical impacts of climate change.[60][61]

Instead of focusing on his mom's job, how about his dads?

Dirk Brinkman, Sr., who is notable for having founded the world's only private company responsible for planting more than one billion trees.

Brinkman spent his early summers in remote tree planting camps, and began planting trees himself at the age of 15.[5] He worked for his parents' business, Brinkman & Associates Reforestation, for twelve seasons in British Columbia and Alberta, personally planting more than one million trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Brinkman

My son planted trees during university. Incredibly hard work but he was good at it and made good money. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

No. Please pay attention.

I've paid attention and most things are worse under the Liberals.  9 years of failure.  Consequently, the poll numbers reflect that.  

Are you paying attention? 

I hope you respect democracy when they're voted out of office. 

Edited by bolt

1 minute ago, bolt said:

I've paid attention and most things are worse under the Liberals.  9 years of failure.  Consequently, the poll numbers reflect that.  

Not that I disagree with you, it is a lost decade IMHO. My disappointment with the CPC is not making hard numbers on the nations economic performance more of a measure that people could see. It might require some education but repeated use would refine the process. If the CPC is to be the party of fiscal responsibility then they should be fleshing this out.  

• ThereItIs 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, bolt said:

Yes.

My comment was based on the fact that there have been so many posts describing how the Cons are using tactics from the Republican campaign playbook and I found the 'everytime we vote out Liberals, we turn Canada into the US?'  comment a little odd.    

Edited by Satchmo