Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I live in BC. Where he NDP has been in power for quite some time. Has anything improved here? No, health care has only gotten worse here. It's almost like the party doesn't matter and we need people in charge who actually want to make a change 🤷

Ricky, I do not know how old you are.......please refer to my last post on this page.

All governments and large corps have known for a long time.

People have been saying for a long time, that when the baby boomers retire, there would be a problem.

I worked in the marine industry...........there is a world wide shortage of engineers and captains.............world wide!

Same can be said for other professions........this was not created by any government....it was created by demographics

But, if you still do not understand this............consider that anyone in a position of power in "every" political party since 1980 should have known, and been working on the solution, and if they were not, they were not worth their salt.....that is all NDP, all Liberals, and all Conservatives...........all carry blame................

And trust me, not one party was screaming that we needed to plan for it! Not one!

But read my last post......it has some decent info

My boss used to say...........don't tell what the problem is, tell me what the solution is!............all I hear are insults back and forth

By politicians and voters alike!

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

We lost the Wheat Board to the Saudis under Harper too.

We also lost the access to that rail to Cargill too.

Which is ironic considering we then couldn't ship bitumen by rail because Cargill blocked it.

Smart eh

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We also lost the access to that rail to Cargill too.

Which is ironic considering we then couldn't ship bitumen by rail because Cargill blocked it.

Smart eh

Almost like someone planned that to benefit from it...

23 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

What a suprise...a right wing paper endorsement for PP

I don't need the constant reminders of where Canada is at, I want to hear PPs plan. 

Why is it so hard for guys who like PP to just post the alternative plans? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Bob Long said:

I don't need the constant reminders of where Canada is at, I want to hear PPs plan. 

Why is it so hard for guys who like PP to just post the alternative plans? 

The plan. Tax cuts will unleash the beast and Canada's economy will go gang busters to the point that everyone's pockets will be flush with cash and there will be much cash in government accounts that more tax cuts will be needed. 

Or something like that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bolt said:

https://financialpost.com/news/canada-standard-of-living-faces-worst-decline-40-years

Canada after 9 years of Trudeau...it's time for him and most Liberal cabinet ministers to step down.

Ok, fine.....what about the other 1st world countries, which one GNP have risen? What percentage have risen? Let's not compare to ourselves......

Liberalism, has asked us to share our wealth, times has asked us to share our wealth, as some 3rd world countries are catching up

I also find it funny and ironic, that today, a person or family with a minimum paying job owns a 48 inch color TV and a cell phone, and screams poverty.

As when I was a kid growing up, poverty meant no TV, and growing gardens so the vegies could be canned, clothes were handed down, and the car was

30 years old....and a vacation, was only to the local camp ground....if at all.

Things change!

My Dad also worked as much overtime as he could get! Worked a second job, to try and get ahead!

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The plan. Tax cuts will unleash the beast and Canada's economy will go gang busters to the point that everyone's pockets will be flush with cash and there will be much cash in government accounts that more tax cuts will be needed. 

Or something like that.

"tax cuts pay for themselves?" 

14 minutes ago, bolt said:

https://dailyhive.com/canada/canada-worst-standard-of-living-declines-four-decades

It's no coincidence, that this happened on the Liberals watch.  (They have admitted they don't think about monetary policy)

A few bread crumbs created from excessive debt isn't enough to change my mind to vote for them.  We're much worse off since 2015.

So two major things that happened between then and now had no impact on things.  It's just JTs fault.   Ok got it.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, JIAHN said:

Ricky, I do not know how old you are.......please refer to my last post on this page.

All governments and large corps have known for a long time.

People have been saying for a long time, that when the baby boomers retire, there would be a problem.

I worked in the marine industry...........there is a world wide shortage of engineers and captains.............world wide!

Same can be said for other professions........this was not created by any government....it was created by demographics

But, if you still do not understand this............consider that anyone in a position of power in "every" political party since 1980 should have known, and been working on the solution, and if they were not, they were not worth their salt.....that is all NDP, all Liberals, and all Conservatives...........all carry blame................

And trust me, not one party was screaming that we needed to plan for it! Not one!

But read my last post......it has some decent info

My boss used to say...........don't tell what the problem is, tell me what the solution is!............all I hear are insults back and forth

By politicians and voters alike!

World economies have been fighting the deflationary trend resulting for demographics for some time. Few politicians ever attempt to warn people. To a degree perhaps confirming the reality that much of their spending and forecasts are based on an ever increasing GDP to pay for their spending. Reality is GDP is flatlining and inflation is likely 3.5% or higher. 

How will Canada deal with a massive debt problem at all levels of government and with consumers. It does not take a genius to understand there is a problem when I drive down my mainstreet on the Friday of a long weekend and it is largely empty. I get written off on these pages for my concern over debt but it is real and is increasing. When will people realize that inflation is a indirect tax on their standard of living? 

FOrgot to add that AI is seen as a possible counter to lost productivity. It might help Canada. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, bolt said:

https://dailyhive.com/canada/canada-worst-standard-of-living-declines-four-decades

It's no coincidence, that this happened on the Liberals watch.  (They have admitted they don't think about monetary policy)

A few bread crumbs created from excessive debt isn't enough to change my mind to vote for them.  We're much worse off since 2015.

The Conservative Party is on pace to do what they did in 1984 with Mulroney.  This could be the most lopsided election in Canadian history.  Mulroney got 211 seats in 1984 and the Liberals got 40.  NDP got 30.  Right now, the Conservative Party is on pace for 220 seats, The Liberals 64 and the NDP 19...

338Canada Canada | Poll Analysis & Electoral Projections

Canadian Election Results: 1867-2021 (sfu.ca)

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

World economies have been fighting the deflationary trend resulting for demographics for some time. Few politicians ever attempt to warn people. To a degree perhaps confirming the reality that much of their spending and forecasts are based on an ever increasing GDP to pay for their spending. Reality is GDP is flatlining and inflation is likely 3.5% or higher. 

How will Canada deal with a massive debt problem at all levels of government and with consumers. It does not take a genius to understand there is a problem when I drive down my mainstreet on the Friday of a long weekend and it is largely empty. I get written off on these pages for my concern over debt but it is real and is increasing. When will people realize that inflation is a indirect tax on their standard of living? 

FOrgot to add that AI is seen as a possible counter to lost productivity. It might help Canada. 

100% agree Boudrias.  The current deficit is a massive problem with an interest payment of $40 billion and growing.  In effect this interest payment will never go away and will probably get much worse over the next 3-5 years.  Will probably hit $50 billion at some point.  Only way to counteract that is to print money, which will cause more inflation.  It's a perpetual never ending cycle that is going to screw all future generations.  A yearly $50 billion payment means that we need to take $50 billion from government revenues right off the top just to pay the interest on the debt.  It's like if your credit card is maxed out and 50% of your net earnings goes just to pay your credit card bill every month.  At some point you have to cut back on your expenses to pay the credit card bill.

There is no easy solution to the problem.  If you want to pay down the debt while fighting inflation, then the only way to do that would be to increase revenues or cut expenses.  So tax increases or cuts to social programs.  Neither one will appeal to most Canadians.  So what do you do?  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Conservative Party is on pace to do what they did in 1984 with Mulroney.  This could be the most lopsided election in Canadian history.  Mulroney got 211 seats in 1984 and the Liberals got 40.  NDP got 30.  Right now, the Conservative Party is on pace for 220 seats, The Liberals 64 and the NDP 19...

338Canada Canada | Poll Analysis & Electoral Projections

Canadian Election Results: 1867-2021 (sfu.ca)

I won't argue your numbers but my concern would be the impact on campaigning when parties fund media campaigns to influence voters. Grassroots are not important anymore. I was involved with the CPC up until the Harper 2nd term. At that point the messaging became top down and the constituency was not strong enough to fight it. Harper used his residual goodwill to narrowing the messaging to the PMO and cabinet. Media was using any outburst by a CPC member to hurt the party. It was incumbent of the CPC to develop an effective communication with members but they never did. 

To my knowledge the Liberals and NDP have done the same. Top down with limited grassroots input. I guess the surveys and polls are what pass as grassroots input. I don't like it no matter what party does it. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I won't argue your numbers but my concern would be the impact on campaigning when parties fund media campaigns to influence voters. Grassroots are not important anymore. I was involved with the CPC up until the Harper 2nd term. At that point the messaging became top down and the constituency was not strong enough to fight it. Harper used his residual goodwill to narrowing the messaging to the PMO and cabinet. Media was using any outburst by a CPC member to hurt the party. It was incumbent of the CPC to develop an effective communication with members but they never did. 

To my knowledge the Liberals and NDP have done the same. Top down with limited grassroots input. I guess the surveys and polls are what pass as grassroots input. I don't like it no matter what party does it. 

I think the reason for that is because of social media.  Information is instantaneous today, so you don't need the grassroots knocking on the doors type of campaigning that we were used to back in the day.  Everything you need is now on X and Facebook.  Politicians can get their messages across to millions of people with one single tweet.  So, they don't need to spend their time walking down the streets and talking to their constituents.  I remember back in the day you used to be able to walk down the street and see your MLA or they would come by your house.  Not anymore as far as I am aware.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

100% agree Boudrias.  The current deficit is a massive problem with an interest payment of $40 billion and growing.  In effect this interest payment will never go away and will probably get much worse over the next 3-5 years.  Will probably hit $50 billion at some point.  Only way to counteract that is to print money, which will cause more inflation.  It's a perpetual never ending cycle that is going to screw all future generations.  a yearly $50 billion payment means that we need to take $50 billion from government revenues right off the top just to pay the interest on the debt.  It's like if your credit card is maxed out and 50% of your net earnings goes just to pay your credit card bill every month.  At some point you have to cut back on your expenses to pay the credit card bill.

There is no easy solution to the problem.  If you want to pay down the debt while fighting inflation, then the only way to do that would be to increase revenues or cut expenses.  So tax increases or cuts to social programs.  Neither one will appeal to most Canadians.  So what do you do?  

I have always said that the Canadian economy is a price taker unlike the Americans. Being a price taker can seriously hurt the standard of living. You suggested that government will continue to print money in an attempt to maintain the status quo. Printing money will lower the value of the Canadian $ and make imports more expensive. Since we import so much of our consumption it will hurt the consumer. It will, however, help exports which earn foreign dollars. 

If the CPC forms government they will have to cut spending. Look at the budget and make your choices. It appears that all parties are promising the electorate unreasonable cures for their struggles. The lack of financial education continues unabated with no/little attempt to change that. While I expect the Liberals/NDP to continue their unfinanced spending I expected more from the CPC. They have had 9 years explain the financial reality faced by Canadians. Frankly, they have done a poor job. Maybe we will see something different when they release their election platform. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Bang on Boud's

IMO, I think as we understand nutrition and Cost of living increases year over year, we will see alot more people gardening, and raising small meat animals.....

IE......chickens, and rabbit, comes to mind.......................It sound tough now, but it will get worse!

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think the reason for that is because of social media.  Information is instantaneous today, so you don't need the grassroots knocking on the doors type of campaigning that we were used to back in the day.  Everything you need is now on X and Facebook.  Politicians can get their messages across to millions of people with one single tweet.  So, they don't need to spend their time walking down the streets and talking to their constituents.  I remember back in the day you used to be able to walk down the street and see your MLA or they would come by your house.  Not anymore as far as I am aware.

Come election time the politicians want grassroots to do signage and door to door. Our CPC candidate in the '90's used to do town halls and visited high schools and met groups for coffee. There was no way that he did not know what people were thinking. A key aspect was at nomination meetings. Early on we had a active riding association looking for a candidate. We had many opportunist who came forward. Good talkers but poor substance. The guy who had been active in the riding association for 2 1/2 years prior to the nomination shone through and won. I don't want the Party telling a riding association who the candidate should be. But this happens regularly with all parties now.  

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

100% agree Boudrias.  The current deficit is a massive problem with an interest payment of $40 billion and growing.  In effect this interest payment will never go away and will probably get much worse over the next 3-5 years.  Will probably hit $50 billion at some point.  Only way to counteract that is to print money, which will cause more inflation.  It's a perpetual never ending cycle that is going to screw all future generations.  A yearly $50 billion payment means that we need to take $50 billion from government revenues right off the top just to pay the interest on the debt.  It's like if your credit card is maxed out and 50% of your net earnings goes just to pay your credit card bill every month.  At some point you have to cut back on your expenses to pay the credit card bill.

I totally agree with your write up!

What do you do?

NDP are still trying to give out tax money, for expanding services to the poor, first nations, etc Which in a perfect world I would support, but!!!!

The Liberals just put their head in the sand, and let inflation eat away our tax dollars

and the Conservatives want to reduce spending, which I agree with, but!!! But, But, But, they also want reduce what the Government owns, and guess who will buy it with pennies on the dollar....not common folk...they have no money!

One thing, I am noticing, and do not agree with, it large corps are showing larger and larger profits, and then hiding them, in tax loop holes. Banks, are making more and more money and are giving out 2 tiered profit sharing, based on how much you have invested. Same for investment house, like IG.....Corporations, are gouging us, and government, especially Conservatives, are allowing it.....and that is world wide.

So, as much as I would like the fiscally responsible part of the Conservatives, I do not like the other parts, such as the freedom fighters and anti-vaxers type people who have a large say in the Conservative party. And which I totally disagree with.............

It is a large problem for me!

• Cheers 2

Last night I posted some stats about Covid, and how Canada handled it.............Canada as in Trudeau's policy on contracts with variable drug companies, to get vaccine, well that worked well, stats prove it! The BC government set out restrictions, which worked, in the same vane as the Feds did. I commend both parties, on how well they did.

Conservatives, sat on the fence and complained, not offering any alternative, just riling up the population for press coverage. they supported the freedom fighters, regardless of how they affected other Canadians.......they basically supported the selfish. I can not get behind that.

They have no answers, just complaints and have adapted Trump and Republican type politics.......................which I hate........it is extremely divisive!

I want a party to come alone and work for everyone.....not just their own self interests..........I have yet to see that part emerge!..........if the ball does not stop rolling, we will be in big trouble!