Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

It absolutely is and those who criticize it don't know what they're talking about.

When I finished touring with various bands back in the late 80's, I couldn't find a job and didn't qualify for EI....I had no choice but to go on Welfare. I felt no guilt in this, because by that point, I had been paying taxes for years....

Still, the Welfare office treated me like I was stealing the money. I had to fill out a form with the names of various places where I had applied for work, every month and if there was anything missing, or incomplete, they would say anything, they just wouldn't send that month's cheque.

Can confirm.

Me too.

Similar story.

Had to go on it for a few months. I would line up in the DT eastside and be grilled every month. 

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't wear a watch... now I'm really confused about who to vote for.

22 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It really is the most important voting issue. By far.

It's too bad this guy isn't running....

image.jpeg.4e1bc6c49d41401d3e7935e212410cb9.jpeg

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

FB_IMG_1716182881588.jpg

How ? He has never had a real job outside of tax payer funded political jobs

Canada needs a law that no person can be Prime Minster unless they have at a minimum 5 years full time private sector work or served in the military or police

PP has no clue what a workers life is like .... What a full time jobs on the clock is .... Or actually budgeting a familys finance with the primary priorities being the home , good and health first 

PP has always had business profits at the top of his list and that never ends well for working families with any politician like this

Heck I'd even say they must prove 2 years working a crap minimum wage job at Walmart or McDonald's.. and prove they didn't live in their parents basements while doing so

So drug deaths are surging in CON oasis of Alberta as well.  Fentanyl is the main culprit.  I really would like to know what the CON plan is because it seems like only one side of the political spectrum is trying to do something.  The actual culprit is keeping drugs controlled by criminals and terrorists.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/alberta-drug-deaths-hit-record-high-in-2023

Alberta drug deaths hit record high in 2023

Deaths jumped nearly 17 per cent over 2022, and are nearly 9 per cent over 2021's previous high of 1,885 deaths.

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, this is a tired old trope....

Everyone is so worried about the few who game the system, they assume that the systems needs some sort of drastic overhaul....except that nobody knows what that would look like, or how the fuck they would actually accomplish this...

All they know is that it's the government's fault that "their" tax dollars are being wasted on lazy bums who "don't want to work"....:classic_rolleyes:

JFTR Rupert

The statement started out in a bigger context.....probably should have not mentioned that, but was on my mind at the time, because of an issue, that had just occurred!

I think you are right, it is small potatoes, compared to other issues.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

So drug deaths are surging in CON oasis of Alberta as well.  Fentanyl is the main culprit.  I really would like to know what the CON plan is because it seems like only one side of the political spectrum is trying to do something.  The actual culprit is keeping drugs controlled by criminals and terrorists.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/alberta-drug-deaths-hit-record-high-in-2023

Alberta drug deaths hit record high in 2023

Deaths jumped nearly 17 per cent over 2022, and are nearly 9 per cent over 2021's previous high of 1,885 deaths.

Bullshit.  They're all from drug supportive bc and they're just being dumped there after they die

Or some such nonsense 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I don't wear a watch... now I'm really confused about who to vote for.

I was debating voting for PP

But who the fuck wears a watch now?  What a waste of $$ and wrist space 

Absolutely not a  progressive man of the people with that outdated mindset 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

I was debating voting for PP

But who the fuck wears a watch now?  What a waste of $$ and wrist space 

Absolutely not a  progressive man of the people with that outdated mindset 

plus I hear he secretly wears a cravat at home, I mean, what does that say? 

• Haha 1

For some reason I thought this guy would have been shived years ago... not advocating for vigilante justice, but just assumed he was dead already.

Serial killer Robert Pickton in critical condition after prison assault

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What is Justin Trudeau’s net worth? 

Substantial. He had quite an inheritance, his investment portfolio, run at arms length, includes proprietary rights and copyrights and a decent manufacturing company. He worked and ran his investments for most of his life before politics. I know the narrative is that he is a moron with nice hair, but he is an incredibly intelligent and educated guy, obviously, he was a teacher in his chosen profession. All before politics. 

Now, conversely, Pierre Poilievre had no substantial inheritance, no investment portfolio and no proprietary rights or copyrights, nor did he own a successful company before he sadled up to the trough 20 years ago, in the 2004 election. He went to school, joined a political organization led by Preston Manning, which has since 'evolved' to the CPC and then was elected. It remains a mystery how he amassed his fortune as a poor scholar turned politician for 20 years. OOhhhhh that explains it.

Sheep for Wolves is a great protest sign, but really shortsighted.

edit: you really can't make this stuff up folks...it is in a book and he authored the essay: yet 20 years later he is still there, and now wants to be Prime Minister, so you know he has no intention of resigning before 25 or even 30 years in office. "everyone but me should only do 2 terms as an elected official". what a joke.

As a second-year student, in 1999, Poilievre submitted an essay to Magna International's "As Prime Minister, I Would...", essay contest. His essay, titled "Building Canada Through Freedom", focused on the subject of individual freedom and among other things, argued for a two-term limit for all members of Parliament. As a finalist, Poilievre won $10,000 and won a four-month internship at Magna, with the essay being published in the book that collected the essays titled @Stake — "As Prime Minister, I Would..."[9][18][19]

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Some slight movement polling wise this week.

Atlantic Canada now prefers the federal Liberals:

LIB: 38.37%
CON: 36.03%
NDP: 16.11%
PPC: 8.57%

GRN: 0.92%

In Quebec the stark rise of the Bloc has come back down to earth. for almost two months the Bloc averaged 38%, now down to 30.58%

Bloc: 30.58%

LIB: 28.53%
CON: 20.73%
NDP: 13.02%

GRN: 4.34%

PPC: 1.11%

Ontario remains largely unchanged at the moment, although CONs are down from a peak of 49.93% on March 1st to now sit at 45.03%

CON: 45.03%

LIB: 28.82%

NDP: 18.69%

GRN: 5.89%
PPC: 1.56%

the Prairies are still hot for Pepi Le Pew north of 60% CON support, liberals and ndp tied around 14% each.

And that brings us to B.C. where the CONS are enjoying unprecedented popularity, currently at 50% support levels, down slightly from an all time high of 59.7%

Notably this is the only province where the NDP is in 2nd place with 25.58%, while the Liberals trail at 17.43%. Languishing are the PPC (0.84%) and GRN's (6.16%)

Among Female voters coast to coast to coast CONs enjoy their highest support since tracking started in 2014 :
CON: 35.85%

LIB: 29.45%

NDP: 20.21%

GRN: 4.87%

PPC: 1.88%

And lastly, Male voters coast to coast to coast which has been a little volatile for five weeks, but always on top by a wide margin:

CON: 49.95%

LIB: 20.40%

NDP: 13.92%

GRN: 4.02%

PPC: 3.18%

of interest to me is the fact that Canada Wide, the Liberal and NDP vote shares equal 42.08%, while the CON vote share, as they seem to stand on an island policy wise is 42.81%

The next 17 months are going to be a wild ride in the polls. Ontario is a crucial battle ground, but it also remains to be seen if the Rage Farm in BC can keep it up in this historically unsettled province. Over the past year in BC alone, the NDP, the Liberals and the Conservatives have all had the lead by wide margins. Our province is as volatile as it gets for voter intentions. Can the CONS hold on to the top spot in BC long enough to matter in the Federal Election scheduled for October 2025? 
The CPC is already down ten points in the past month here. In January they were in a statistical tie with the Liberals, and in September they were tied with the NDP. 

Both the Liberals and NDP are trending up over the last four weeks in BC. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

In Quebec the stark rise of the Bloc has come back down to earth. for almost two months the Bloc averaged 38%, now down to 30.58%

Ontario remains largely unchanged at the moment, although CONs are down from a peak of 49.93% on March 1st to now sit at 45.03%

the Prairies are still hot for Pepi Le Pew north of 60% CON support, liberals and ndp tied around 14% each.

And that brings us to B.C. where the CONS are enjoying unprecedented popularity, currently at 50% support levels, down slightly from an all time high of 59.7%

Notably this is the only province where the NDP is in 2nd place with 25.58%, while the Liberals trail at 17.43%. Languishing are the PPC (0.84%) and GRN's (6.16%)

Among Female voters coast to coast to coast CONs enjoy their highest support since tracking started in 2014 :

And lastly, Male voters coast to coast to coast which has been a little volatile for five weeks, but always on top by a wide margin:

of interest to me is the fact that Canada Wide, the Liberal and NDP vote shares equal 42.08%, while the CON vote share, as they seem to stand on an island policy wise is 42.81%

The next 17 months are going to be a wild ride in the polls. Ontario is a crucial battle ground, but it also remains to be seen if the Rage Farm in BC can keep it up in this historically unsettled province. Over the past year in BC alone, the NDP, the Liberals and the Conservatives have all had the lead by wide margins. Our province is as volatile as it gets for voter intentions. Can the CONS hold on to the top spot in BC long enough to matter in the Federal Election scheduled for October 2025? 
The CPC is already down ten points in the past month here. In January they were in a statistical tie with the Liberals, and in September they were tied with the NDP. 

Some interesting stuff here.  I'm not surprised with the BC numbers, I think that reflects the collapse of the BC Liberal/United thingy consolidating federally around angry Milhouse. 

As ususal, it comes down to how to win Ontario. 

Angry Milhouse is a horrible person, so I suspect we'll start to see him have to face some real attack ads and questions about his character this year. 

31 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Thx for the recent numbers 

25 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Blew the engine of my Jeep on the drive home yesterday. I blame Trudeau.

That actually makes sense....seeing as a major cause of engine failures is a lack of oil.....

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

That actually makes sense....seeing as a major cause of engine failures is a lack of oil.....

Watch out, you might cause their head to start expanding (from the validation you gave) until it explodes, and they'll blame that also on Trudeau.  :classic_ninja:

So, historically, the actual vote tends to reflect the older age brackets intentions rather than say the 30 somethings, 20 somethings and even the 40 somethings.

Therefore I decided to look at just the trendlines for the older age bracket across Canada. They are simply more inclined to vote and generally have a locked in vote intention. The others are so volatile, up and down like a hoors drawers as they say. 

it is much closer than the total vote intention of all age brackets. Keeping in mind the prairies are 65% CON supporters to 13% Lib and 13% NDP supporters, I am pretty sure any election between now and Oct 2025 will be much much closer than anyone might think looking at the general polling this week. Poilievre still has a good lead, but its swing share is only 4.4%, the margin of error for instance is 3.5%. I am posting this so folks get an idea of just what is the underlying reasoning for our Prime Minister to think he can win again. 4.4% swing is not that hard to pull off with 17 months to go. In fact, all the Liberals have to do is not have a huge scandal and wait, and that 4.4% will ease to a reasonable margin. Again, the heavy outweighing of the CONS in the Prairies relative to anywhere else also plays to Trudeau's hand in the next election. What can i say, I am an optimist, and I hate rage farmers. it is my sincere wish that anyone but Pierre Poilievre is the next Prime Minister, and so to allow a flush of the con toilet and a new candidate to emerge, I hope to see Justin Trudeau win another term. then 'flush' that turd and try again. 

CON: 39.85%

LIB: 31.04%
NDP: 13.81%

GRN: 3.09%

PPC: 0.79%

Bloc: 11.29% (included in the canada wide, even though they only vote in QC where their support is 30.58%)

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

So, historically, the actual vote tends to reflect the older age brackets intentions rather than say the 30 somethings, 20 somethings and even the 40 somethings.

Therefore I decided to look at just the trendlines for the older age bracket across Canada. They are simply more inclined to vote and generally have a locked in vote intention. The others are so volatile, up and down like a hoors drawers as they say. 

it is much closer than the total vote intention of all age brackets. Keeping in mind the prairies are 65% CON supporters to 13% Lib and 13% NDP supporters, I am pretty sure any election between now and Oct 2025 will be much much closer than anyone might think looking at the general polling this week. Poilievre still has a good lead, but its swing share is only 4.4%, the margin of error for instance is 3.5%. I am posting this so folks get an idea of just what is the underlying reasoning for our Prime Minister to think he can win again. 4.4% swing is not that hard to pull off with 17 months to go. In fact, all the Liberals have to do is not have a huge scandal and wait, and that 4.4% will ease to a reasonable margin. Again, the heavy outweighing of the CONS in the Prairies relative to anywhere else also plays to Trudeau's hand in the next election. What can i say, I am an optimist, and I hate rage farmers. it is my sincere wish that anyone but Pierre Poilievre is the next Prime Minister, and so to allow a flush of the con toilet and a new candidate to emerge, I hope to see Justin Trudeau win another term. then 'flush' that turd and try again. 

CON: 39.85%

LIB: 31.04%
NDP: 13.81%

GRN: 3.09%

PPC: 0.79%

Bloc: 11.29% (included in the canada wide, even though they only vote in QC where their support is 30.58%)

Trump winning again in November might scare people away from angry Milhouse. Not sure people really want us that aligned with the US right wing nuts.

Trudeau really hasn't spent much time at all bringing out the big guns on ad's etc. PP has kind of blown the wad early on the "everything is Justins fault" tack, its not news anymore, and it won't have much of an impact going forward imo, he's just beat that trope to death.