Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Spring Salmon said:

Good god man then why respond to a post that you didn't read?   Anyway this was fun(not really) but I'm off to the marina,  Good luck with your job search 

I did read it. I just also was distracted. Sorry if you're offended by that.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/truck-driver-responsible-for-deadly-humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-in-court-on-friday-for-deportation-hearing-1.7213657

Board orders deportation for trucker in horrific Humboldt Broncos crash

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu's lawyer has said the decision was a foregone conclusion

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/truck-driver-responsible-for-deadly-humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-in-court-on-friday-for-deportation-hearing-1.7213657

Good riddance.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Then why take the guy's-- or the governments money(legal aid?) to rep for him?

that guy was driving a rig onto the Saltery Bay Ferry about a month before the crash. He took more space than was needed, but was on a quiet trip, so it didn't matter.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

good riddance, should have been gone before the accident, 70 violations in 11 days

IMG_1794.jpeg.83a8d93aaf0950773e42cf24c3b73e2d.jpeg

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4996814

Edited by Pycnotic
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

Then why take the guy's-- or the governments money(legal aid?) to rep for him?

we. give everyone due process here. Its more about having a fair system than the person. 

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

that guy was driving a rig onto the Saltery Bay Ferry about a month before the crash. He took more space than was needed, but was on a quiet trip, so it didn't matter.

I've seen some folks have sympathy for this guy, but the s.o.b. knew, he fucking knew, he wasn't trained properly and did it anyway. 

The worst part imo (from a justice pov) is the company owners not being thrown in jail. 

• Upvote 3
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

we. give everyone due process here. Its more about having a fair system than the person. 

I've seen some folks have sympathy for this guy, but the s.o.b. knew, he fucking knew, he wasn't trained properly and did it anyway. 

The worst part imo (from a justice pov) is the company owners not being thrown in jail. 

Exactly! The company owners should be held just as responsible. They’re hiring these drivers. And they know what they’re doing. Send them to jail. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Exactly! The company owners should be held just as responsible. They’re hiring these drivers. And they know what they’re doing. Send them to jail. 

this was the chance to change the industry, and Moe-ron running SK let them off the hook. I really hate that guy, he's an idiot. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

it’s a dirty secret in the transport industry, I use full 53’ trailers all the time to move my products and have drivers regularly show up and cannot back a trailer into a dock or god forbid a tight site in Vancouver. There’s lots of training companies that are passing these guys and getting them on roads right away, if the federal and provincial governments cracked down on them trucks would be sitting and store shelves would be empty, it’s that big of a problem. My uncle does commercial vehicle inspections for bc and he’s told me that he should remove every truck that pulls in for inspection but if he did then the drivers will say it’s racism and not their shitty trucks, no maintenance records and dual log books etc sadly this will not be the last accident like this, until this gets dealt with

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Pycnotic said:

it’s a dirty secret in the transport industry, I use full 53’ trailers all the time to move my products and have drivers regularly show up and cannot back a trailer into a dock or god forbid a tight site in Vancouver. There’s lots of training companies that are passing these guys and getting them on roads right away, if the federal and provincial governments cracked down on them trucks would be sitting and store shelves would be empty, it’s that big of a problem. My uncle does commercial vehicle inspections for bc and he’s told me that he should remove every truck that pulls in for inspection but if he did then the drivers will say it’s racism and not their shitty trucks, no maintenance records and dual log books etc sadly this will not be the last accident like this, until this gets dealt with

Too bad that shoppers don’t have 10 stores selling 50 of the same products. It’s so stupid how we are a shopper culture now. How many stores does any community need? And how many versions of the same product do we need? Lots of trucks moving a lot of sh*t that no one really needs. Maybe that’s part of the problem too? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Too bad that shoppers don’t have 10 stores selling 50 of the same products. It’s so stupid how we are a shopper culture now. How many stores does any community need? And how many versions of the same product do we need? Lots of trucks moving a lot of sh*t that no one really needs. Maybe that’s part of the problem too? 

it’s not just products in stores, it’s construction materials etc, trucking is necessary and needed, however no one is willing to have the hard discussion because one group of people have completely taken over that industry and politicians are to busy pandering to whatever is the hot new victim group while innocent Canadians are dying because of these guys behind the wheel of a 100k pound missile 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Pycnotic said:

it’s not just products in stores, it’s construction materials etc, trucking is necessary and needed, however no one is willing to have the hard discussion because one group of people have completely taken over that industry and politicians are to busy pandering to whatever is the hot new victim group while innocent Canadians are dying because of these guys behind the wheel of a 100k pound missile 

Irish? Bloody leprechauns. 😂

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I'm a big fan of due process, but it seems rather silly, when the defence says "it was a foregone conclusion"

The true tragedy is nothing really seems to being done to fix these types of issues.

Any of these types of issues.

Seems like 'throw a band aid on it, and wait till people forget' is the answer to everything going on.

Edited by Gurn
  • ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, Pycnotic said:

So much experience has left the industry. Old vets who could teach young drivers. Like you said add up the increased weight being hauled with bigger engines. I hate to say it but I will pass a semi asap simply because I fear the possibilities.

• ThereItIs 1

I'm in a discord server with a semi driver who keeps texting while he's driving; he posts pictures from behind the wheel while he's on the road and gives updates on his trips. It really pisses me off. He says he 'usually' gives it up once he's in B.C.... so I guess it's okay, then? With all the trucks hitting overpasses and people like the guy I mention cruising down the highway with their eyes on their phone, I really don't have much feelings of security around trucking in Canada.

With that said, I hitchhiked in a semi one time and the driver was excellent (even though picking me up was against practice). He commented on the Humboldt tragedy and said something along the lines of "all these new drivers are making the industry look bad. They're not trained well at all, and the companies need to do a better job of maintaining a degree of education and training before putting people on the road. It's really gone downhill."

A new report on poverty challenges both Liberals and Conservatives

The Conservatives are using the report to rake the Trudeau government — but would they follow its advice?

As the report notes, poverty in Canada declined markedly between 2015 and 2020 — the share of Canadians living below the poverty line fell from 14.5 per cent to 6.4 per cent. A report released by UNICEF last December found that Canada experienced one of the largest proportional drops in child poverty among developed countries between 2012 and 2021.

Conservatives might be comforted by the fact that a strong plurality of Canadians seems inclined to think it's time for a Conservative government. But while Abacus Data recently found a 16-point lead for the Conservatives, it also didn't find a great desire to see social programs rolled back — just 28 per cent of respondents said a Poilievre government definitely or probably should end funding for child care or dental care.

If the Conservatives have a plan to sharply reduce federal spending without touching such programs, they aren't explaining it yet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poverty-food-banks-canada-poilievre-trudeau-1.7214554

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

A new report on poverty challenges both Liberals and Conservatives

The Conservatives are using the report to rake the Trudeau government — but would they follow its advice?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poverty-food-banks-canada-poilievre-trudeau-1.7214554

Doesn't that the Unicef report show Trudeau has done a great job on this? That's a huge reduction.

2 hours ago, 112 said:

I'm in a discord server with a semi driver who keeps texting while he's driving; he posts pictures from behind the wheel while he's on the road and gives updates on his trips. It really pisses me off. He says he 'usually' gives it up once he's in B.C.... so I guess it's okay, then? With all the trucks hitting overpasses and people like the guy I mention cruising down the highway with their eyes on their phone, I really don't have much feelings of security around trucking in Canada.

With that said, I hitchhiked in a semi one time and the driver was excellent (even though picking me up was against practice). He commented on the Humboldt tragedy and said something along the lines of "all these new drivers are making the industry look bad. They're not trained well at all, and the companies need to do a better job of maintaining a degree of education and training before putting people on the road. It's really gone downhill."

I play an MMORGP video game to pass some time, as it is cheap entertainment while I pay down my mortgage (on track for roughly 3 more years of having a mortgage) and one of our players is a long haul driver with a very nice rig. Sadly he will play his critical role with our team, 'the tank', while still driving and then yell that we can't "pull the boss" yet as he is still on the highway, but he is looking for a pull out so he can park for that bit of the game. Meanwhile he is cruising the interstate doing the smaller tasks in our game on the way to the final showdown with a 'boss'. Insane. This has happened so often we stopped playing with him as it is so incredibly unsafe. Silly story, but true, even up to last year when we told him he can't keep doing that. As far as the deportation goes though, it is a sad thing to me that we are deporting a guy for running a yield sign. The catastrophe that happened was terrible, horrid, and not in any way something the driver wanted to happen. It feels to me that the deportation order may be hinged on something bordering racism. Just a gut feeling. If you come to Canada, work hard and help build our country, awesome. If you run a yield sign though, fuck you? Seems odd. I hate punishing the outcome rather than the infraction. The NHL does this all the time and it seems not right to me. 

I am aware I am in the extreme minority on this issue though. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I play an MMORGP video game to pass some time, as it is cheap entertainment while I pay down my mortgage (on track for roughly 3 more years of having a mortgage) and one of our players is a long haul driver with a very nice rig. Sadly he will play his critical role with our team, 'the tank', while still driving and then yell that we can't "pull the boss" yet as he is still on the highway, but he is looking for a pull out so he can park for that bit of the game. Meanwhile he is cruising the interstate doing the smaller tasks in our game on the way to the final showdown with a 'boss'. Insane. This has happened so often we stopped playing with him as it is so incredibly unsafe. Silly story, but true, even up to last year when we told him he can't keep doing that. As far as the deportation goes though, it is a sad thing to me that we are deporting a guy for running a yield sign. The catastrophe that happened was terrible, horrid, and not in any way something the driver wanted to happen. It feels to me that the deportation order may be hinged on something bordering racism. Just a gut feeling. If you come to Canada, work hard and help build our country, awesome. If you run a yield sign though, fuck you? Seems odd. I hate punishing the outcome rather than the infraction. The NHL does this all the time and it seems not right to me. 

I am aware I am in the extreme minority on this issue though. 

I don't know how you can minimize this to 'running a yield sign'? He had a pattern of problems and knew he wasn't trained properly and chose to do it anyway. He was reckless and destroyed so many lives.

I don't give two shits where he's from or what his color is, I'd want anyone gone for this.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't know how you can minimize this to 'running a yield sign'? He had a pattern of problems and knew he wasn't trained properly and chose to do it anyway. He was reckless and destroyed so many lives.

I don't give two shits where he's from or what his color is, I'd want anyone gone for this.

Yup, I know. I am not going to change anyone's mind, not even gonna try, but I am firm in my feeling on it. If this was a British or Swiss immigrant, different outcome, in my opinion.