Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Quite a few actually, but I never told you to vote for a Liberal.

"Voting cpc is against your best interests"  

NDP or Green party are the other alternatives which are both a joke right now.  

Quite a few? Really?  

You seem to be quite passionate defending the current inept and corrupt Liberal/NDP coalition Government.

Edited by bolt

I think some people are going to miss him when he is gone.

I remember TDS, but JTDS is a stronger strain maybe? 

When PP gets in, who are they going to blame their problems on?

...and where will they place their hate boners?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, bolt said:

Liberal/NDP coalition Government.

It's not a coalition. It's a confidence-and-supply agreement.

NDP has done well for a party that never gets the top seat. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think some people are going to miss him when he is gone.

I remember TDS, but JTDS is a stronger strain maybe? 

When PP gets in, who are they going to blame their problems on?

...and where will they place their hate boners?

You have a hate boner on the cpc.  Trying to be juvenille calling the opposition leader "pp" 

The Liberals are doing terrible on most metrics, it's not a hate but an observance of them doing an incredible bad job.

Edited by bolt

Just now, bolt said:

You have a hate boner on the cpc.  Trying to be juvenille calling the opposition leader "pp" 

Those are his initials.

Kinda like saying JT.

Do better. 

18 minutes ago, bolt said:

Quite a few? Really?  

You seem to be quite passionate defending the current inept and corrupt Liberal/NDP coalition Government.

Nope, I've been quite vocal here about not particularly liking any of our options. They all have flaws. The Cons just happen to be the worst option of a selection of bad options for the vast majority of Canadians/Canada. Unless you're a multi millionaire/CEO anyway. Or maybe you just subscribe to the ideals of a portion of the party that would like to see civil rights progress rewound 100 or so years and denying climate change and the billions its costing us in fires, floods, crops etc? I suppose they're a voice for that group as well. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, bolt said:

Quite a few? Really?  

Being against the Conservative brand is not defense of the current coalition government

But thanks for coming out

• Cheers 3

Posted (edited)

I agree 100% with this tweet. If the driver was from Ukraine they would have never even thought of deporting him. He made a huge mistake and served his time. No reason to take him away from his family forever. Deporting him will not stop the next truck driver from doing the same thing IMO. Accidents will happen regardless. 

They should concentrate on better training for these guys. The company needs to be held partly responsible as well. 

Also, is the punishment for this usually deportation?  I’d like to know about previous cases and what the end result was. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree 100% with this tweet. If the driver was from Ukraine they would have never even thought of deporting him. He made a huge mistake and served his time. No reason to take him away from his family forever. Deporting him will not stop the next truck driver from doing the same thing IMO. Accidents will happen regardless. 

They should concentrate on better training for these guys. The company needs to be help partly responsible as well. 

Also, is the punishment for this usually deportation?  I’d like to know about previous cases and what the end result was. 

The training and regulation of the trucking industry is a complete joke. 

I wonder how many more people have to die for the inept Liberal Government to do anything?

Deporting 1 remorseful truck driver while not fixing the root of the problem doesn't do us any good.  Typical reactionary response.

Edited by bolt
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They should concentrate on better training for these guys. The company needs to be help partly responsible as well. 

From what I understand, yes. Convictions of similar offenses usually result in revocation of PR status. However, it's not set in stone. The board simply said "yes, this conviction meets the definition for our deportation criteria". He hasn't had the deportation hearing yet where factors like family, risk to the individual, etc are taken into account. 

I would go further to argue that had the individual been Ukrainian, the board would have come to the same finding. The conviction meets to requirements for deportation. There isn't really any subjectivity to it.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, bolt said:

The training and regulation of the trucking industry is a complete joke. 

I wonder how many more people have to die for the inept Liberal Government to do anything?

Deporting 1 remorseful truck driver while not fixing the root of the problem doesn't do us any good.  Typical reactionary response.

It's provincially regulated. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, bolt said:

From the link: "Provincial and territorial regulations govern the operation of the commercial bus and truck industry except for the rules and regulations Transport Canada's Motor Carrier Division sets in support of the safe operation of federally-regulated (extra-provincial) motor carriers and commercial vehicle drivers."

edit: the below is not part of the quote, but I can't change the font back on my phone lol. Just didn't want that to be misleading.

Transport Canada gets to make extra rules for extra-provincial transport. But those companies are still registered in a Province and follow provincial licensing and regulation.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nope, I've been quite vocal here about not particularly liking any of our options. They all have flaws. The Cons just happen to be the worst option of a selection of bad options for the vast majority of Canadians/Canada. Unless you're a multi millionaire/CEO anyway. Or maybe you just subscribe to the ideals of a portion of the party that would like to see civil rights progress rewound 100 or so years and denying climate change and the billions its costing us in fires, floods, crops etc? I suppose they're a voice for that group as well. 

So the Canadian carbon tax will change the Global weather as we export a record amount of coal to China?  Despite the desperate Liberal gaslighting, the CPC have already stated they won't reverse the "civil rights" you speak of.   

The working class are doing much worse than compared to just 9 years ago.   The Liberals corporate welfare to corporations is rewarding those Ceos.  They gave how much to Honda and VW? for battery plants that will likely fail anyways.  Liberal elitism is their demise and their poll numbers reflect that.  

Edited by bolt

6 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

had the individual been Ukrainian

Ukr is a tough example because they are literally at war but there is something to the aesthetic of this decision.

Maybe I have read too many statements along the lines of 'these people/ certain group...are taking over the trucking industry'

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Ukr is a tough example because they are literally at war but there is something to the aesthetic of this decision.

Maybe I have read too many statements along the lines of 'these people/ certain group...are taking over the trucking industry'

Right, so at the next step in the process they would likely say "it's not safe to send this person away". But they would still say "this conviction meets the requirments for deportation.

1 minute ago, MattJVD said:

Right, so at the next step in the process they would likely say "it's not safe to send this person away". But they would still say "this conviction meets the requirments for deportation.

I wonder what % of those with criminal records are deported?  

12 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

From what I understand, yes. Convictions of similar offenses usually result in revocation of PR status. However, it's not set in stone. The board simply said "yes, this conviction meets the definition for our deportation criteria". He hasn't had the deportation hearing yet where factors like family, risk to the individual, etc are taken into account. 

I would go further to argue that had the individual been Ukrainian, the board would have come to the same finding. The conviction meets to requirements for deportation. There isn't really any subjectivity to it.

I agree with this.  However, deportation was recommended two years ago.  They had plenty of time to reconsider.  I would argue that if the driver was Ukranian they 100% would have reconsidered and the Federal Court would have dismissed the deportation...

A criminal conviction that carries a sentence of more than six months makes a permanent resident ineligible to remain in the country.

Two years ago, the Canada Border Services Agency recommended deportation, and Greene went to court to fight it.

In December, the Federal Court dismissed applications from Sidhu's lawyer Michael Greene, who had argued border officials didn't consider Sidhu's previously clean criminal record and remorse. He wanted the court to order the border agency to conduct a second review.

"This is part of the sadness of the whole process. We're left with a situation where permanent residents have no rights whatsoever to have their personal circumstances considered," Greene said.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I hear ya.

Just the way it looks and I dont know too much about the process.

However, have they put in many safegaurds to prevent poor training in the future? 

are the owners facing any trouble for any role they might have played in it?

Honest questions.

Every second day I hear about some truck doing something dumb. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

So the carbon tax will change the weather as we export a record amount of coal to China?  Despite the desperate Liberal gaslighting, the CPC have already stated they won't reverse the "civil rights" you speak of.   

The working class are doing much worse than compared to just 9 years ago.   The Liberals corporate welfare to corporations is rewarding those Ceos.  They gave how much to Honda and VW? for battery plants that will likely fail anyways.  Liberal elitism I their demise and their poll numbers reflect that.  

The carbon tax, is widely regarded as the best and fairest tax tool we have, to start to combat it in our corner of the world. Your alternative is?

What they have stated and their record of bills proposed and how they voted for them are very different. Forgive me if I take their actual actions over what is coming out of their mouths.

The entire world is doing worse than 9 years ago. Global aging population, a global pandemic, global climate change, global supply chain issues, two ridiculous wars and the inflation all of those things caused tend to do that. Laying that at the feet of the current, minority Canadian government is ignorant.

Don't like our tax dollars going to corporations? That gets worse, not better, under the Cons.

"Liberal elitism"? 🤨 

• Haha 1

Here's an article from The Globe and Mail, a right leaning organization, on Pierre adopting more of the bullshit fake news  tactics we see to the south. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/opinion/article-pierre-poilievre-is-pretending-he-doesnt-know-how-his-job-works/

And here’s the thing: Mr. Trudeau is asked all the time now why he doesn’t just get the hint and take a walk in the snow, or whatever weather conditions are outside. It’s basically a parlour game in Ottawa. So it’s weird, then, that it’s Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre who keeps saying that the media is out to get him, that they ask questions ranging from hostile to corrupt, and that all of this is a conspiracy designed to kneecap his party and keep Mr. Trudeau afloat.

I mean, at the risk of being glib: Look at the polls. If this is a conspiracy, everyone involved sucks and should find a new hobby.

And yet Mr. Poilievre has spent the past two years energetically insisting that any journalist who asks him a spiky question is enacting some greasy partisan agenda. There are entire swaths of the media that he’s been training the public to see as #JustinJourno grifters.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think there's a reason for that. At the college where I work, we have a ton of recent immigrants from India taking classes here. Every time I go to Wal-Mart or 7-11 I see one of our students. Our parking lot always has one or two cabs in it...

These folks need to find work fairly quickly upon arriving in Canada and they'll take pretty much any job that comes around.....

So it's not surprising that unscrupulous trucking companies would target recent immigrants, give them some rudimentary training, (just enough to make them legal) and send them out on the road. I have no idea how the pay scale for truckers works, or if these newly arrived drivers are making what they should, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were being paid less for doing the same job.

This is why I have some sympathy for Sidhu. I think he was made an offer that sounded very good and jumped at it, not knowing that it would ruin his life....

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I think there's a reason for that. At the college where I work, we have a ton of recent immigrants from India taking classes here. Every time I go to Wal-Mart or 7-11 I see one of our students. Our parking lot always has one or two cabs in it...

These folks need to find work fairly quickly upon arriving in Canada and they'll take pretty much any job that comes around.....

So it's not surprising that unscrupulous trucking companies would target recent immigrants, give them some rudimentary training, (just enough to make them legal) and send them out on the road. I have no idea how the pay scale for truckers works, or if these newly arrived drivers are making what they should, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were being paid less for doing the same job.

This is why I have some sympathy for Sidhu. I think he was made an offer that sounded very good and jumped at it, not knowing that it would ruin his life....

My nephew-in-law is an ex-logger. He knows quite a bit about the industry.

He would agree with the bolded. He once told me a story ( take with grain of salt) ...'i've heard some of'those guys' cutting a hole in the floor of the trucks so they dont have to stop even if they have to take a crap'

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, bolt said:

"Let’s start with the Liberals. Their Achilles heel is elitism, making them easy to brand as out-of-touch with the average Canadian"

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/tasha-kheiriddin-shadows-of-elitism-luxury-vacations-haunt-liberals-into-2024

Oh look.

Another opinion piece.

Elitism eh?

Talk to me about travel abuses and taking spouses along for the ride to partisan events

People say that the meek shall inherit the earth, sadly due to the advent of social media it has just given the idiocy a pulpit

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1