Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Oh look.

Another opinion piece.

Elitism eh?

Talk to me about travel abuses and taking spouses along for the ride to partisan events

People say that the meek shall inherit the earth, sadly due to the advent of social media it has just given the idiocy a pulpit

Any article that attacks the Liberals is an "opinion piece" 80% of people must be idiots to not support the scandal plagued Liberal party.  

6 minutes ago, bolt said:

Any article that attacks the Liberals is an "opinion piece" 80% of people must be idiots to not support the scandal plagued Liberal party.  

I'll give you a bit of props for that article...

it does also say...

Tories need to be careful too. Their Achilles heel is Uncle Marvin. As in your crazy Uncle Marvin, who trots out his collection of tin foil hats every time the family gets together for Thanksgiving. Uncle Marvin says a lot of nutty things, and a lot of not-so-nice things too. He rants about gay people burning in lakes of fire and Jews running the world. He has surfaced in various political campaigns throughout the ages, and it has never ended well.

Uncle Marvin came out of the woodwork this week, in the form of a petition sponsored by Conservative MP Leslyn Lewis. The petition asks for Canada to quit the United Nations, and is the brainchild of a man named Doug Porter, who told the left-leaning website Press Progress that Lewis’ staff helped him with the wording. Porter also said that if the UN gets what it wants, “It would be the elimination of a majority of the population and those that would remain would be slaves, and they would be repeatedly injected with mRNA injections to change their DNA so they lose their humanity and they are different creatures.” 

This is part of the reason people are scared of PP and co. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, bolt said:

The fact it is literally an opinion piece makes it an opinion piece.

That's the literal column it's under.

• ThereItIs 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, bolt said:

Lol, we have been stuck with a corrupt and inept Prime minister for 9 years.  80% of Canadians aren't voting for him and the Liberal party.

The thing is, people can argue on whether you're right or wrong on what Trudeau has or hasn't done. I personally think some of the criticism has merit while other criticism is exaggerated or even made up. For example, that 80% you just mentioned is all but guaranteed to include Canadians who don't even vote which makes the whole argument done in bad faith.

However, none of that matters anyway if the general perception of Trudeau is negative, which is the point of my reply. Although, perhaps this does raise the question of why the need to exaggerate in the first place if the general premise is already true...

(Edited the end of the 1st paragraph to clarify my position)

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I think some people are going to miss him when he is gone.

I remember TDS, but JTDS is a stronger strain maybe? 

When PP gets in, who are they going to blame their problems on?

...and where will they place their hate boners?

Oh man, I guess you haven't spent much time in Alberta or Sask. You can always blame a Trudeau, living or dead, for your current problems. 

If your hate boner lasts longer than 40 years, call your doctor. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Oh man, I guess you haven't spent much time in Alberta or Sask.

Actually plenty.

I have driven across our beautiful country 6 times as a touring musician. Love that i have spent time in lots of our major cities and a few backwood towns. 

But that was a lifetime ago and I admit, most of the people coming to our shows were young punks. We also predated the internet so the tribal noise was not in everyone's pocket. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Oh look.

Another opinion piece.

Elitism eh?

Talk to me about travel abuses and taking spouses along for the ride to partisan events

People say that the meek shall inherit the earth, sadly due to the advent of social media it has just given the idiocy a pulpit

The Liar, i mean honourable (man we throw that around willy nilly these days), Peter MacKay called for an armed forces chopper to pick him up at his fishing lodge vacation once. You can't make this stuff up..but of course Liberals are elitists. I have heard the Laurentian Elitist trope my entire life, it is as stupid as it sounds. My grand parents lived in the Square Mile  on Mount Royal, and later Westmount, QC, so I guess I am a Liberal Elitist. Funny thing is my mom remembers thick ice on the inside wall of her stone house she was a child in. How elite...lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurentian_elite

• Cheers 1

Carbon Tax stuff here:

I figured I would share, since I track my gas along with a lot of other things, it is easy to parse out things like the price before and after the carbon tax increase...

you will note for me, buying the best gas, at the most expensive rate, every time, The price per Liter was $2.039 on March 2nd. My last fillup before the 3.3cents more tax kicked in it was $2.179 March 22nd. The tax made it go up 1 cent, lol as my next fillup was $2.189 April 2nd. Nine days later it was down 2 cents...then for no good reason it spiked mid month in April and was down five cents by May 23rd 2024. At no time did i realize any real change at the pump from teh carbon tax, it literally went up 1 cent a liter at my local pumps. But hey, rage farmer gonna rage farm.

Odo Date Volume Price Amount KM's  
105975 3/2/2024 39.982 2.039 $81.52 432  
106407 3/14/2024 41.257 2.119 $87.42 446  
106853 3/22/2024 42.482 2.179 $92.57 459  
107312 4/2/2024 42.642 2.189 $93.34 358  
107670 4/11/2024 34.424 2.169 $74.67 328  
107998 4/18/2024 29.105 2.259 $65.75 270 OIL
108268 4/29/2024 28.747 2.319 $66.66 448  
108716 5/7/2024 41.927 2.279 $95.55 384  
109100 5/14/2024 33.18 2.239 $74.29 425  
109525 5/23/2024 42.09 2.209 $92.98    
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I track my gas

Kind of related, but not really related - I also track fuel consumption for my vehicle, but I only just yesterday clued in on the fact that the provincial government managed to browbeat the last holdouts of "0% ethanol in fuel" stations (ie. 94 octane for Chevron) to remove those stickers and incorporate ethanol in the fuel.  Man, am I grumpy over that.  

I know it's a contentious issue, but I don't want my fuel adulterated with ethanol.  Corrosion concerns aside, ethanol can evaporate from the fuel due to vapour pressure differences in mixture, thus reducing overall fuel availability (and consequently resulting in shittier fuel consumption figures because your 1 litre of gas might actually end up as for example 0.995 litres of gas due to evaporation), plus it has the bonus of attracting moisture into the mix (which if enough water accumulates in the gas tank, does fun things to your engine).

I was wondering why my fuel consumption figures were absolute shit this past half year or so (moreso than what my shit traffic situation should normally account for).  The timing lines up with approximately when Chevron supposedly made the change at the behest of the province.

Anyways.  End of rant.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Kind of related, but not really related - I also track fuel consumption for my vehicle, but I only just yesterday clued in on the fact that the provincial government managed to browbeat the last holdouts of "0% ethanol in fuel" stations (ie. 94 octane for Chevron) to remove those stickers and incorporate ethanol in the fuel.  Man, am I grumpy over that.  

I know it's a contentious issue, but I don't want my fuel adulterated with ethanol.  Corrosion concerns aside, ethanol can evaporate from the fuel due to vapour pressure differences in mixture, thus reducing overall fuel availability (and consequently resulting in shittier fuel consumption figures because your 1 litre of gas might actually end up as for example 0.995 litres of gas due to evaporation), plus it has the bonus of attracting moisture into the mix (which if enough water accumulates in the gas tank, does fun things to your engine).

I was wondering why my fuel consumption figures were absolute shit this past half year or so (moreso than what my shit traffic situation should normally account for).  The timing lines up with approximately when Chevron supposedly made the change at the behest of the province.

Anyways.  End of rant.

not last night, but the Sunday previous John Oliver's "Last Week Tonight" had a show on Corn Production.

https://www.hbo.com/last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver/season-11/12-may-19-2024

"John Oliver discusses the financial and environmental impact of corn in the U.S., recent commencement ceremony mishaps, and the rise of the far-right AfD party in Germany."

---------------------

going to be a bit before the episode shows up on you Tube, but very informative- and scary.

Seems like corn is a very, very thirsty plant, and is depleting water tables, along with all the chemical stuff.

iirc he mentioned 100 gallons of water for 1 gallon of ethanol.

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Anyways.  End of rant.

that is interesting for sure. I like the higher octane, my shitty Kia fat hamster car runs better over the Malahat drive with it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Gurn said:

not last night, but the Sunday previous John Oliver's "Last Week Tonight" had a show on Corn Production.

https://www.hbo.com/last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver/season-11/12-may-19-2024

"John Oliver discusses the financial and environmental impact of corn in the U.S., recent commencement ceremony mishaps, and the rise of the far-right AfD party in Germany."

---------------------

going to be a bit before the episode shows up on you Tube, but very informative- and scary.

Seems like corn is a very, very thirsty plant, and is depleting water tables, along with all the chemical stuff.

iirc he mentioned 100 gallons of water for 1 gallon of ethanol.

a local elk herd eats 39,000 dollars worth of cattle corn a year on my families farms. The government pays them for it annually but won't chip in to build a high Elk Proof Fence for 390,000 bucks (would last a lifetime and only cost ten years of elk food money). Every summer a chopper flies in estimating the losses from teh air, lands and my brother in law signs the form and off they go.

check arrives a few months later. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bolt said:

Another day of Pierre destroying Liberals.  How low will Liberal poll numbers sink?

The only thing Pierre is destroying is this country with his barbaric rhetoric.  There is a reason the speaker had to eject this piece of shit because he was unwilling to act like an adult.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The only thing Pierre is destroying is this country with his barbaric rhetoric.  There is a reason the speaker had to eject this piece of shit because he was unwilling to act like an adult.

Was it the former speaker who invited a Nazi into the house or the current speaker with multiple ethic violations?  Do the Liberals have one MP who isn't corrupt and inept?

1 minute ago, bolt said:

Was it the former speaker who invited a Nazi into the house or the current speaker with multiple ethic violations?  Do the Liberals have one MP who isn't corrupt and inept?

The current one kicked a Nazi out of the House by ejecting Poilivre. Do the Cons have one MP who doesn't belong in prison for hate speech?

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The current one kicked a Nazi out of the House by ejecting Poilivre. Do the Cons have one MP who doesn't belong in prison for hate speech?

Are you seriously calling a member of Parliament a Nazi?  And then you want to talk about hate speech?  

Edited by bolt

17 minutes ago, bolt said:

Are you seriously calling a member of Parliament a Nazi?  And then you want to talk about hate speech?  

Yes, considering what Poilivre wants to do to this country and his open support of domestic terrorists trying to overthrow the government.  No point in sugarcoating it and pretending that Poilivre deserves to be treated the same as civilized people.  More people need to stand up against his barbaric beliefs and the bigots who support him.

• Confused 1
  • Wiener 1

35 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

that is interesting for sure. I like the higher octane, my shitty Kia fat hamster car runs better over the Malahat drive with it. 

If your kia needs high octane to run better you most likely have carbon build up in your combustion chamber. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yes, considering what Poilivre wants to do to this country and his open support of domestic terrorists trying to overthrow the government.  No point in sugarcoating it and pretending that Poilivre deserves to be treated the same as civilized people.  More people need to stand up against his barbaric beliefs and the bigots who support him.

That doesn't make him a Nazi.  More people are standing up against the current clown in office who is corrupt and incompetent.  The opposition party is the last of our worries with the state of things.  The Liberal party is on track for the worst election loss in Canadian history....

Edited by bolt

Just now, bolt said:

That doesn't make him a Nazi.  More people are standing up against the current clown in office.  The opposition party is the last of our worries with the state of things.

Think about what he wants to do to minorities.  You're really underestimating how many crimes against humanity Poilivre is going to commit against innocent Canadians if he's not stopped.   Canadians need to stop treating him and his supporters like people and start exposing them as the vermin they are.

• Confused 1
  • Wiener 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Think about what he wants to do to minorities.  You're really underestimating how many crimes against humanity Poilivre is going to commit against innocent Canadians if he's not stopped.   Canadians need to stop treating him and his supporters like people and start exposing them as the vermin they are.

Vermin who call sitting members of Parliament Nazis?