Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

58 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

It was weird to sneak those cards past the teachers, i don't trust planned parenthood. They are out of the states, they probably laughed about it. We can't have our own Canadian planned parenthood?

What does the color purple taste like where you're from?

1 hour ago, AatuD2 said:

I know that this blunder was based on incompetence, but it's made headlines around the world. 

Really bad look implicating Zelensky too as Russia's propaganda for the invasion has been that they're going in to fight the Nazis. 

It'll all blow over and the support for Ukraine will continue.......as it has to.  NATO countries really have no choice

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

This story takes another turn, Poland apparently taking steps towards possible extradition of Hunka.

Optically this has to be a low point for Canada. A literal Nazi was lauded & given a standing ovation by all those who represent us. (And now they are trying to strick it from the record...) I still can't believe it actually happened.

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

And now they are trying to strick it from the record...

Like the official minutes or something? What does that matter? the world saw it.

Ignorance all around, but I understand why nobody would know who this guy was. They all assumed that due  diligence had been done, as they should. They should be able to trust Rota. He screwed up and embarrassed Canada. Time to step down. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

Planned parenthood, plumb full of bad ideas.

Liar

Seriously.  Here is your link.  First two paragraphs

https://globalnews.ca/news/9789466/planned-parenthood-shock-sask-schools-suspension/

“We were mostly surprised,” said Planned Parenthood executive director Julian Wotherspoon. “This was a decision that was made without contacting us to ask about our programs or any of the resources or services that we provide, so it was disappointing news.”

The ministry’s decision came after a presentation with sexual material occurred at a high school in Lumsden, Sask., according to Duncan.

Edited by Warhippy

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Bloc and NDP are calling for Rota to step down.

I think he probably should. 

Everyone is officially calling for him to stand down.  Poiliverre being the most ironic of all after Scheer was speaker and gave him a green light for 4 years or so and had some pretty significant gaffes and open favouritism of his own as speaker.

It's not enough for Rota to apologize, according to some members of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's cabinet, who say the embarrassing event demands that the Liberal Speaker step away.

"What happened on Friday is completely unacceptable. It was an embarrassment to the House and Canadians. I think the Speaker should listen to members of the House and step down," Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly told reporters on Tuesday. "I don't think there's any alternative."

Government House Leader Karina Gould said Rota's lack of judgment in issuing the invitation demands he step down from the position, which he's held since 2019.

"Given what happened on Friday, given the fact that Mr. Rota decided to invite an individual who fought with the Waffen-SS — and not only invite him, but recognize in the gallery without informing either the government or the Ukrainian delegation or any parliamentarian that he was going to do this — I can't see, based on the conversations I've had, that he will continue to have the support of Liberal MPs," Gould said.

"I think it's time for him to do the honourable thing," she said.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Like the official minutes or something? What does that matter? the world saw it.

Ignorance all around, but I understand why nobody would know who this guy was. They all assumed that due  diligence had been done, as they should. They should be able to trust Rota. He screwed up and embarrassed Canada. Time to step down. 

I just think its a bad look that immediately after the first thing (practically) is trying to erase it. But your right no one will forget. 

It's an extraordinary thing for anyone to get a standing ovation infront of parliament, much less with an important foreign leader in attendance, you would expect that anyone in that situation would be vetted - especially when the very reason for them being honoured is their war history(!).

Maybe they just trusted Rota & left it at that, but in that case it's another bad look for the seriousness of govt. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I just think its a bad look that immediately after the first thing (practically) is trying to erase it. But your right no one will forget. 

It's an extraordinary thing for anyone to get a standing ovation infront of parliament, much less with an important foreign leader in attendance, you would expect that anyone in that situation would be vetted - especially when the very reason for them being honoured is their war history(!).

Maybe they just trusted Rota & left it at that, but in that case it's another bad look for the seriousness of govt. 

Unfortunately.  ALL MPs stood up and applauded him.  Now they're using him and the situation as political talking points to make the government look bad.

We need to ship them all off.  Hunka, Rota and the current MPs

It's genuinely sad how they act like they weren't part of the spectacle.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Unfortunately.  ALL MPs stood up and applauded him.  Now they're using him and the situation as political talking points to make the government look bad.

We need to ship them all off.  Hunka, Rota and the current MPs

It's genuinely sad how they act like they weren't part of the spectacle.

Agreed. They are desperately trying to just play this off as "Rota let everyone down" and move on with it, or on the Cons side use it for political points, when in reality it's a bad reflection on everyone in govt.

I mean if there's anyone, and I mean anyone, a serious democracy should never honour in their sacred house it would be a literal Nazi fighter.... And we couldn't even manage that.

😂 it's beyond parody

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, moosehead said:

Me too.    Tried a few things...  This is what really helped my back. Physio with this.

When dry needling is applied to an affected muscle or trigger point, it can decrease muscle tightness, increase blood flow and reduce pain. Patients often report immediate relief after treatment. The needles remain in your muscle for a short period of time — between 10 seconds and 20 minutes — during treatment.Feb 10, 2023

Highly recommend anyone suffering from pain to try IMS!  It can make all the difference.  After multiple times rupturing a disk in my spine I could barley walk at times.  And the pain was out of this world.  I was even back to golfing before my car accident last year.  Ims is a game changer !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When you have MPs from multiple parties calling for your resignation, kinda puts the writing on the wall.  Even a little vetting could have avoided this debacle.  Very few MPs can say they didn't stand and/or applaud.  

This is very rare for a Speaker to be elected to that post mid session.  He's be the first to resign mid session due to scandal.  Once it was because the Speaker died.  The other was because the Speaker was appointed to be Governor General.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/house-speaker-anthony-rota-resigns-over-nazi-veteran-invite-1.6577796

Edited by the destroyer of worlds

Just now, the destroyer of worlds said:

When you have MPs from multiple parties calling for your resignation, kinda puts the writing on the wall.  Even a little vetting could have avoided this debacle.  Very few MPs can say they didn't stand and/or applaud.  

This is very rare for a Speaker to be elected to that post mid session.  He's be the first to resign due to scandal.  Once it was because the Speaker died.  The other was because the Speaker was appointed to be Governor General.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/house-speaker-anthony-rota-resigns-over-nazi-veteran-invite-1.6577796

In fairness numerous calls were made for Scheer to resign as well due to his seeming preferential treatment of his party in the house while speaker; but with a majority nothing was gonna happen.  

• Cheers 2

Just now, Warhippy said:

In fairness numerous calls were made for Scheer to resign as well due to his seeming preferential treatment of his party in the house while speaker; but with a majority nothing was gonna happen.  

I think the difference here is he was getting calls from his own party.

16 hours ago, stawns said:

It'll all blow over and the support for Ukraine will continue.......as it has to.  NATO countries really have no choice

💯 this is more cost effective not only money wise but also the lives of Canadians.  Russia won’t stop its aggression.  Not sure why some folks don’t realize this.  A lot of them seem too young or maybe not educated enough to understand consequences of letting Nazis go unchecked. 

14 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

This is very rare for a Speaker to be elected to that post mid session.  He's be the first to resign mid session due to scandal.  Once it was because the Speaker died.  The other was because the Speaker was appointed to be Governor General.

If this was all on Rota and the MP's didn't even know this guy was going to show up until he was sitting in the House of Commons, then it wasn't possible for any of the MP's to properly vet this guy.  I mean what were they supposed to do, google his name after Rota introduced him?

If it's true that Rota was the only person who knew that this guy was going to show up, then none of the MP's who were standing and applauding were at fault.  If others knew within the government, then that's a whole other ballgame...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If this was all on Rota and the MP's didn't even know this guy was going to show up until he was sitting in the House of Commons, then it wasn't possible for any of the MP's to properly vet this guy.  I mean what were they supposed to do, google his name after Rota introduced him?

If it's true that Rota was the only person who knew that this guy was going to show up, then none of the MP's who were standing and applauding were at fault.  If others knew within the government, then that's a whole other ballgame...

I wasn't laying blame on the MPs.  I meant to point out that most/all were embarrassed by this debacle.  Rota is falling on his sword, but if others were involved, they should resign as well.

• Cheers 2