Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Interesting read. I was most struck by this sentence:

another friend tells me that in an old folks’ home he visits, the residents to a person condemn the carbon tax, even though they each receive the rebate cheque, and none of them drive or pay for heat.

That, in a nutshell is how I feel about a lot of the Carbon Tax critics. They don't really know anything about it, or how it works. All they know is that a lot of people are complaining about it and it is a tax, so it must be a bad thing....

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

That, in a nutshell is how I feel about a lot of the Carbon Tax critics. They don't really know anything about it, or how it works. All they know is that a lot of people are complaining about it and it is a tax, so it must be a bad thing....

A left wing media company is not biased at all.

Edited by bolt

14 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Well, maybe look at it this way - the only things certain in life are taxes and death, and as older folk they sure as heck don't want to complain about death (because it might come knocking on their door if they try too hard), so might as well go after the lower-hanging fruit and complain about taxes (with amnesia kicking in when the rebate cheque appears). :classic_ninja:

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bolt said:

A left wing media company is not biased at all.

You seem to know a lot about the Halifax Examiner. You must do a lot of "research"....

Personally, I've never read anything of theirs, but from my perspective, the author lobbed plenty of criticism at JT and the Liberals. He only criticized the over the top, whiny stuff.

Oh wait....I guess I should have clarified first....that was supposed to be sarcasm, wasn't it? :classic_unsure:

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

As Destroyer mentioned, trickle down economics DO NOT work. We have decades of evidence of this, here and abroad. Every time the Cons are in power we see slashed funding to programs for the people most in need of them. All it does is cause more crime, health, poverty, housing etc, etc issues that get paid for by....? Us, that's who. And it's especially bad as it doubles down on a lot of the systemic issues that cost us money in the first place. And the cheapest time to even start addressing those (poverty, health, addiction etc) issues is ALWAYS sooner than later. You just end up making already costly problems, worse, and more costly to address in the future.

So when slashing those programs doesn't save us as much money as the Cons said it would (it literally NEVER does), suddenly they're forced to sell off things like Petro Can or the Wheat board to foreign interests to pay for the deficits THEY created. Slowly whittling away on what should be long term Canadian-held assets for our collective long term prosperity. Sold off for pennies on the dollar due to their "Conservative fiscal strategy". All so you can "save" a couple hundred bucks a year in taxes (while the wealthy and corporations save $$$$$). I don't know how any average Canadian could possibly vote for that?!

Go ahead and look at all the countries ahead of Canada in things like quality of life. They're all "high" tax countries. It's literally THE point point of a Democratic society. To pool resources, to build something greater than the individual sum of it's parts.

The economy has been the strongest with Conservative government in power, the GDP when Harper was PM was increased significantly. The GDP under the current government is treading water even with extremely high government spending. The example by destroyer was an extreme example and was widely considered an experimental process. Any tax cuts have to be slow and calculated you cant just pull the rug out all at once or you will get the expected results. Must reduce costs before reducing revenues.    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The economy has been the strongest with Conservative government in power, the GDP when Harper was PM was increased significantly. The GDP under the current government is treading water even with extremely high government spending. The example by destroyer was an extreme example and was widely considered an experimental process. Any tax cuts have to be slow and calculated you cant just pull the rug out all at once or you will get the expected results. Must reduce costs before reducing revenues.    

For every point there is a counter point.

https://pressprogress.ca/6_charts_show_stephen_harper_has_the_worst_economic_record_of_any_prime_minister_since_world_war_ii/

And yes, some might say PressProgress has a liberal bias.

PressProgress Awarded 100% Perfect Score From International Rating Service That Evaluates Credibility of News Sources

Overall, we rate Press Progress Left Biased based on story selection and wording that consistently favors the left and High for factual reporting due to strong sourcing and a clean fact-check record.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bolt said:

Yes although this is an opinion piece.

So is everything we read and say especially here.

You aren't deflecting are you?  I recently read you don't like that kind of stuff.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

https://pressprogress.ca/6_charts_show_stephen_harper_has_the_worst_economic_record_of_any_prime_minister_since_world_war_ii/

PressProgress Awarded 100% Perfect Score From International Rating Service That Evaluates Credibility of News Sources

Overall, we rate Press Progress Left Biased based on story selection and wording that consistently favors the left and High for factual reporting due to strong sourcing and a clean fact-check record.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/more-canadians-only-making-minimum-payment-on-credit-cards-transunion-1.2078113

The economy under Trudeau is not good. 

Press Progress...can you find a more left leaning media source? Kudos to you to mention the bias.

Edited by bolt

3 minutes ago, bolt said:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/more-canadians-only-making-minimum-payment-on-credit-cards-transunion-1.2078113

The economy under Trudeau is not good. 

Press Progress...can you find a more left leaning media source? Kudos to you to mention the bias.

I fact check just about everything.  How about you?   Are you big on fact checking?

1 minute ago, bolt said:

Canada has a lot of oil.

We could make a lot of money from it for a few decades and then die from heat exhaustion after spending most of it on disaster relief.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I fact check just about everything.  How about you?   Are you big on fact checking?

Fact checking to your own bias? I have a bias and so do you. Politics isn't a black and white situation.

Edited by bolt

Just now, bolt said:

Fact checking to your own bias?

I'll try to respond though I'm not sure I fully understand your point.

Yes, I have biases.   Can you say you do not?   Is there anyone anywhere who does not?

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

We could make a lot of money from it for a few decades and then die from heat exhaustion after spending most of it on disaster relief.

So better to import from the Middle East instead.

23 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

You just need top look at a GDP chart of Canada to know that article is hogwash. 

• ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Why not just reinvest some of that money in infrastructure and technology to combat global warming 

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

You just need top look at a GDP chart of Canada to know that article is hogwash. 

Sure.   

image.png.00f0551f8de743e1cbf2488f1ecad04a.png

And I hear PMP has a plan to fix everything.   Has he mentioned any details as to how?

Just now, bolt said:

We can do both.

Produce more and use less.   Makes sense.   

Although I guess what you are saying is that we behave responsibly domestically and sell oil to other countries that can do as they wish as long as we profit from it.  Either that or you are proposing we sell oil to other countries so they can pollute and we then get to sell them some marvelous technology that we have not invented yet to help clean things up. 

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

Produce more and use less.   Makes sense.   

Although I guess what you are saying is that we behave responsibly domestically and sell oil to other countries that can do as they wish as long as we profit from it.  Either that or you are proposing we sell oil to other countries so they can pollute and we then get to sell them some marvelous technology that we have not invented yet to help clean things up. 

If they don't get it from us, they'll and ourselves will import it from somewhere that doesn't have any environmental standards.