Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

No.

I wont put those beliefs aside. They are the most important things.

I'll be likely voting NDP. They are the ones that get things done for the widest group of people. 

Yeah.  I'm not going to sacrifice what is right and wrong over a few dollars.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

The iPhone was barely a thing the last time the conservatives were in office FFS.

It came out int 2007.

What are you doing?

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah.  I'm not going to sacrifice what is right and wrong over a few dollars.

This should be the most widely agreeable thing ever said in this thread.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

No.

I wont put those beliefs aside. They are the most important things.

I'll be likely voting NDP. They are the ones that get things done for the widest group of people. 

Putting social beliefs ahead of the overall wealth of this country are literally visible in datapoints. This is will usher the fall of western civilization. The government should not have anything to do with social beliefs or behavior. A healthy society should self govern this. If everyone actually lived by these standards instead of relying on the government to do so, we’d be a utopia. 

the government should be run like a fucking business not a moral behavior correctional officer. There should be no feelings in policy. 

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Performance, you can’t look back at any past party’s performance and compare it to the landscape today. The iPhone was barely a thing the last time the conservatives were in office FFS. The only thing that matters right now is inflation and the cost of borrowing. If we don’t get this under control immediately there won’t be anything left. The sentiment alone from a conservative majority will strengthen our currency and flatten inflation. Before he even steps into the office. 

To add, unions are extremely detrimental to economic growth. They give foreign countries a competitive advantage over our goods and services. Unions were the kiss of death for manufacturing in the developed world. They drove up the demand for foreign labour. The products that surround us from child labour are the fruits of unionization. Congratulations. 

The reduction of unionized sites has absolutely destroyed Canada 

If you want Tennessee or Mexico wages you need to have the same price points for housing and goods. We don't 

The seperation of wages to cost of living has grown at a record pace. The loss of workplace pensions that most unionized work sites had Is why we have seniors living in RV's at rest stops. CPP isn't enough to live on , with pressure to keep wages globally competitive ( low ) they hit retirement already poor 

The best economic times in Canada was when we had high union density. What we didn't have was year after year of breaking record corporate profits we have now ..... That's the change 

And PP's past from 9 years ago is relevant as he won't back track now when asked. It is what he believes 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

I respect and mostly agree with left leaning social theory. However, there are far more pressing issues right now and people who can really look deep into what the future holds with this trajectory will be able to put those beliefs aside and at the very least, vote for a change to flatten that curve. Base your vote on results. Nobody can guarantee the conservatives will do any better but a change is guaranteed and that has to happen based on performance alone. 

That paragraph must be read at least twice to see if it contains any wisdom.  After three times I gave up.

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Look at the strength of our currency pre 2015. Prior to 2015 the CAD was a petro dollar. Our currency was backed by our wealth in oil. The liberal government has implemented policies and regulations that have contracted/ stagnated our oil wealth and separated the correlation between the price of oil and the strength of our currency. To simplify, imagine Canada is a company and our currency is a share. When you look to buy stock you look at assets, debt, and revenue. If any of these pillars are disrupted the value of that share diminishes. We replaced our oil wealth with nothing and we borrowed against our treasury. Any growth in GDP was artificially created by the debt of the housing market. Our portfolio is hollow. We need to diversify our revenue sources and treasury. If your platform is environmental and your goal is to reduce our dependence on hydrocarbons that’s fine. You just need to replace it with something else while you’re scaling it down. Taxing the use of hydrocarbons without a viable second option is flat out dictatorship. If this government was serious about environmental change, they should have used their resource based revenue to develop green infrastructure. Taxing something you have no choice in buying is criminal and another inflationary factor. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Putting social beliefs ahead of the overall wealth of this country are literally visible in datapoints. This is will usher the fall of western civilization. The government should not have anything to do with social beliefs or behavior. A healthy society should self govern this. If everyone actually lived by these standards instead of relying on the government to do so, we’d be a utopia. 

the government should be run like a fucking business not a moral behavior correctional officer. There should be no feelings in policy. 

Nah. We are the government. We should look after ourselves, each one of us. Western civilization wont fall because of that. It would be corruption of the greedy that will do us in.

That said I do believe we have to watch out for 'beliefs' in regards to religion. Seperation of church and state is very important. Thats another thing I don think the cons are very good at. 

props for saying corrcetional officer though, warms my heart. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Sapper said:

The reduction of unionized sites has absolutely destroyed Canada 

If you want Tennessee or Mexico wages you need to have the same price points for housing and goods. We don't 

The seperation of wages to cost of living has grown at a record pace. The loss of workplace pensions that most unionized work sites had Is why we have seniors living in RV's at rest stops. CPP isn't enough to live on , with pressure to keep wages globally competitive ( low ) they hit retirement already poor 

The best economic times in Canada was when we had high union density. What we didn't have was year after year of breaking record corporate profits we have now ..... That's the change 

And PP's past from 9 years ago is relevant as he won't back track now when asked. It is what he believes 

You’re acting like the liberals haven’t been in power for nearly a decade. I don’t want to hear any negative sentiment in our country today from the left because these are the seeds you sowed. You’ve had 9 YEARS this is your vision. 
unless you’re implying the same government is going to fix its own mistakes which totally always happens. 

It's much harder work to be a non conservative than to be a conservative 

It takes more work and effort to go give a hand up to those in need then to just flip them the finger ......

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Nah. We are the government. We should look after ourselves, each one of us. Western civilization wont fall because of that. It would be corruption of the greedy that will do us in.

That said I do believe we have to watch out for 'beliefs' in regards to religion. Seperation of church and state is very important. Thats another thing I don think the cons are very good at. 

props for saying corrcetional officer though, warms my heart. 

I want everyone in here that hates corporations to take 1-5% of your income and buy shares of them. Then maybe you’ll understand how a PUBLICLY traded company isn’t in charge. You are. The capital gains you receive will be taxed and put right back into the government you so dearly love. It’s a win, win. 
i honestly thought the conservatives were the conspiracy theorists. 

3 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

You’re acting like the liberals haven’t been in power for nearly a decade. I don’t want to hear any negative sentiment in our country today from the left because these are the seeds you sowed. You’ve had 9 YEARS this is your vision. 
unless you’re implying the same government is going to fix its own mistakes which totally always happens. 

I agree changes are required.  I see no proof that a change to a government led by the Conservatives will lead to positive changes.

Change for the sake of change can often lead to remorse.  

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Sapper said:

It's much harder work to be a non conservative than to be a conservative 

It takes more work and effort to go give a hand up to those in need then to just flip them the finger ......

Why do you need a government to do that? 

1 minute ago, NoHeart said:

Are you ok ?

I can't stand truduea , not fond of this version of the NDP.  I'm just very anti PP ... And somewhat anti conservative 

It's PP that is preaching taking Canada back to the glory days 

Those days he speaks of had high union density and workplace pensions. What they didn't have was the obscene record profits we have now

The 2 are polar.opposities

PP or anyone else .... Is not going to be able to fix the issue without seeing corporate profits fall back to just stunningly good vs record setting ... And a livable income for retired 

Just now, NoHeart said:

Why do you need a government to do that? 

Governments have the biggest hands and fingers when it comes to helping people or flipping them off.

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I agree changes are required.  I see no proof that a change to a government led by the Conservatives will lead to positive changes.

See OEL trade for an example we're all familiar with. 

Just now, Satchmo said:

How on earth could you possibly have proof of something that never happened without a Time Machine? Nobody can accurately predict the outcome of changed policy until it is implemented. There are too many unforeseen variables. The economy isn’t a consolidated layer that you can control like a steering wheel.

17 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

That paragraph must be read at least twice to see if it contains any wisdom.  After three times I gave up.

Your reading comprehension isn’t my problem. 

1 minute ago, NoHeart said:

How on earth could you possibly have proof of something that never happened without a Time Machine? Nobody can accurately predict the outcome of changed policy until it is implemented. There are too many unforeseen variables. The economy isn’t a consolidated layer that you can control like a steering wheel.

A few posts ago you spoke of 'people who can really look deep into what the future holds'.   Are you now saying that's not possible?

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Gordon Campbell tried that in BC. His business partners greatly benefited. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Satchmo said:

A few posts ago you spoke of 'people who can really look deep into what the future holds'.   Are you now saying that's not possible?

He also mentioned the iphone not being around last time the cons were in...

except for like, all but one of Harpers years...

2007 was massive for tech, iphone introduced...facebook, twitter becoming huge...

So, he's shooting mostly blanks and doing it with a smile. 

27 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Need we bring people's professions into this?  

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

He also mentioned the iphone not being around last time the cons were in...

except for like, all but one of Harpers years...

2007 was massive for tech, iphone introduced...facebook, twitter becoming huge...

So, he's shooting mostly blanks and doing it with a smile. 

Between this and the vax thread, a lot of these types suddenly coming out of the woodwork.  Did school get out early this year?  

• Haha 1