Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bolt said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/ndp-want-liberals-to-scrap-proposed-election-date-change-that-could-secure-pensions-for-many-mps-1.6906604

Shows what the Liberals care about which is themselves as they know most of them will be eliminated next election. At least the NDP is calling this out.  

Stitched in to Bill C-65, the "Electoral Participation Act"(opens in a new tab) – among a series of elections law reforms aimed at making it easier for Canadians to vote and harder for bad actors to meddle – the Liberals are trying to move the 2025 fixed Oct. 20 election date to the following Monday, Oct. 27. 

When Democratic Institutions Minister Dominic LeBlanc tabled the bill in March, the Liberals said this proposed date change was to ensure election day did not conflict with Diwali, a widely-celebrated religious holiday that also falls on Oct. 20 next year.

But, it quickly became clear that a knock-on advantage of moving voting day by a week, would be securing lucrative pensions for a slate of MPs that otherwise wouldn't have qualified if the vote was held one week sooner and had they lost their seats.

80 MPs stand to benefit

That's because MPs need to serve for at least six years in order to qualify for a pension upon retirement, and for the 80 MPs who were first elected on Oct. 21, 2019, if they were to be defeated on Oct. 20, 2025 they'd just miss that six year mark and instead only qualify for a one-time severance allowance. 

Under the Canada Elections Act, federal votes must be held on the third Monday in October four years after the previous election. With this bill, the Liberals are seeking a one-time carve-out to that rule.

So, the Liberals are using Diwali as an excuse to push the election date back one week?   🤣

Edited by Elias Pettersson

37 minutes ago, bolt said:

So why is the Liberal Government pushing EVs when people are struggling to make ends meet or have any disposable cash.   Do you know anyone with $50K+ of disposable money?  Or is virtue signalling the goal here?

I don't. I also don't know anyone who pays cash for their vehicles.

Most people I know can get a $50k car loan.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bolt said:

You don't need to upgrade your home electrical for over ten thousand dollars when you buy a conventional ICE car.

Are you actually saying the total cost of An ev (including the gov rebate we all pay for in our taxes) is less than a conventional car?  Including the cost of upgrading your home electrical. 

Most people don't have to upgrade their electric for an EV either.

100 amp services have been outdated for years. Most homes already have 200 amp services.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Granted this will not work for everyone, but it works for some: I can't charge at home, my townhouse complex has a parking lot without electical outlets. I just charge at work, sometimes visit the superchargers at gas stations (they are really fast on newer EVs). I've probably spent about $100 on chargin since Nov 1st, with 7000 km on the car.

What happens if more than 2% of the population owns an EV?  Who pays for your charging at work and does everyone have the ability to do that?  Would your workplace be able to manage if every employee  owned an EV?

What is the normal fee for charging your car fully at a supercharging gas station?

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I don't. I also don't know anyone who pays cash for their vehicles.

Most people I know can get a $50k car loan.

I thought it was mostly drug dealers that paid cash for new vehicles.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Most people don't have to upgrade their electric for an EV either.

100 amp services have been outdated for years. Most homes already have 200 amp services.

Wrong

23 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Not to mention if you don't own a home. Where do you charge your vehicle?

My nephew owns a Tesla. He rents and doesn't have a charging system at his condo. He uses trickle charging overnight and public stations when he's on the road:

Level 1 charging is commonly referred to as "trickle charging" due to its slow speed. It uses 120-volt power, half the amount of energy used by Level 2 chargers. You can plug your EV into any standard wall socket using the Level 1 charger included with most EVs.

• Thanks 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I thought it was mostly drug dealers that paid cash for new vehicles.

So your arguing about someone paying $30 extra for a cellphone plan but have no issue of someone financing 5+% for over $60k for an EV and charging capabilities.  

9 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

If you’re satisfied with how the country is right now then by all means, vote for your boy to stay in power. 

When all the dust settles, we are going to have a majority conservative government. The polls show a 99% likelihood of that. I only see a further downfall for the liberal government due to the higher interests rates continuing their pressure on the housing market that our hollow GDP is based on. 

Two things here LB

He's not my boy.  The choice is between him and the angry version of him.

That being said I agree, Pierre will get in to power.  Probably with a majority.  Watch that first 18 months for statements of success.  Those successes will be in the back side existing legislation not new ones.

After that it's a wait and see but as if now nothing has been shown to me that indicates that things will change like you think they will.

Who will you blame then?

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, bolt said:

So your arguing about someone paying $30 extra for a cellphone plan but have no issue of someone financing 5+% for over $60k for an EV and charging capabilities.  

I was asked to provide an example of something that's cheaper and did so.  How many people do you know who are paying cash for any new vehicle?

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Then they also shouldn't be bitching and complaining about the price when they're not helping themselves.  Over a 2 year contract, the savings for about a half hour phone call are significant.

Personal responsibility.

Yes because the average person has time to sit on the line begging some dude in India for a cheaper plan. People just want to walk into a store, get a new phone and be done.

What an ignorant take

1 minute ago, bolt said:

So because I answered your question in a manner you didn't like, you're going to post some links that have zero to do with what I said?

You asked how people who don't own would be able to charge their EVs. I provided the answer.

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Two things here LB

He's not my boy.  The choice is between him and the angry version of him.

That being said I agree, Pierre will get in to power.  Probably with a majority.  Watch that first 18 months for statements of success.  Those successes will be in the back side existing legislation not new ones.

After that it's a wait and see but as if now nothing has been shown to me that indicates that things will change like you think they will.

Who will you blame then?

It doesn’t really matter. All that I know is that we need to change the sentiment because this is going to be an unraveling of biblical prophecy. 

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

Yes because the average person has time to sit on the line begging some dude in India for a cheaper plan. People just want to walk into a store, get a new phone and be done.

What an ignorant take

Half an hour for hundreds in savings is a pretty great return.  The average person sure as hell isn't making that much working for the same amount of time.  Understanding math isn't ignorance.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

But I hear the cons are going to build a bunch of hydro electric plants.

BTW - That post reeks of virtue signaling to those who don't think it's important.

Cons aren't forcing EVs on people though 🤷

6 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

It doesn’t really matter. All that I know is that we need to change the sentiment because this is going to be an unraveling of biblical prophecy. 

I lived through 24% interest rates in the 80s.

I think we'll be fine

22 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

That's ridiculous....we all know that everyone's hardships are Justin Trudeau's fault....

We all know nothing is Trudeau's fault according to you.

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Cons aren't forcing EVs on people though 🤷

Forcing?  Incentivizing maybe.  

(Not sure what that icon means.  Forgive me if you were just joking)

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Half an hour for hundreds in savings is a pretty great return.  The average person sure as hell isn't making that much working for the same amount of time.  Understanding math isn't ignorance.

People are busy man. They also don't want to have to jump through hoops to get a service cheaper when it already should be cheaper. 

At the end of the day, cell phone service isn't cheaper for the average person and is a far cry from what people in the u.s pay

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Forcing?  Incentivizing maybe.  

(Not sure what that icon means.  Forgive me if you were just joking)

Banning sales by 2035 of ice vehicles is exactly that. Banning them.

Just a shoulder shrug. Nothing malicious meant by it

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

People are busy man. They also don't want to have to jump through hoops to get a service cheaper when it already should be cheaper. 

At the end of the day, cell phone service isn't cheaper for the average person and is a far cry from what people in the u.s pay

Not my problem if they're too busy or too stupid to help themselves.  They can also just use the flanker brands to begin with, which work perfectly fine.

Edited by King Heffy

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not my problem if they're too busy or too stupid to help themselves.  They can also just use the flanker brands to begin with, which work perfectly fine.

So basically 90% of the population is stupid to you... Pretty solid take I'd say.

Most of those brands have spotty service at best as they have to piggy back off the big threes towers 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yet you don't think it's stupid to finance an EV and electrical services.  They can buy a used ICE vehicle that works fine and are already relatively low in emissions.  

Edited by bolt

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

So basically 90% of the population is stupid to you... Pretty solid take I'd say.

Most of those brands have spotty service at best as they have to piggy back off the big threes towers 

Should people also pay sticker price for cars?