Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, NoHeart said:

Don’t blame the guy who has to stop the bleeding. This is what happens when your spending is out of control for 10 years. You think we can just keep borrowing money to pay for the liberal budget? Lol do you have any idea what you’re even taking about. I think we should cut even more and even deeper. Then I’ll buy an RV park and become rich AF. 

Are you a follower of the North Korean communist model or Chinese? Just want to know which doctrine your following in your want to have eth poorest destroyed to fund the rich 

Seems a bit closer to North Korean to me. china aleast pretends to care a bit for their poor ..... North Koreans would be the ones making their inner elite as RAF off starving them out 

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, bolt said:

Gaslighting 101 

Depends on your point of view I suppose, just like everything else in politics.   The only thing I didn't like was his tie but that's just my point of view.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

Depends on your point of view I suppose, just like everything else in politics.   The only thing I didn't like was his tie but that's just my point of view.

Yeah I don't see how he's wrong.  Keep in mind that when  trying to get a conservative MP to understand the topic at hand, you can't treat them the same as an adult.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah I don't see how he's wrong.  Keep in mind that when  trying to get a conservative MP to understand the topic at hand, you can't treat them the same as an adult.

There's only one man who will save a white christmas and his name is Justin...Canada alone can save the world increasing emissions since 2015.

Edited by bolt

2 hours ago, NoHeart said:

EV transition needs to happen organically. Not only because the infrastructure isn’t even available to accommodate it but because the technology needs to evolve. This generation of EV’s could not replace gasoline engines. Another thing the government needs to stay out of. 

EV transition is happening far more rapidly because of this than it would have without it.  The big 3 domestics as well as the big 3 foreigns have pivoted their assembly lines towards green hydrogen and ev manufacturing.  No government involvement, no pivot.

The left hand shakes the right hand, savvy?

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

yeah I have wanted Trudeau to step aside for a while now, was hoping he would have done it last year. 

If the Libs renewed the leadership group with someone like Mark Carney, I doubt Skippy has a chance. 

I agree he would have my vote, the guy has a bachelors degree in economics from Harvard and a masters and doctoral from Oxford. As well as a strong back ground in banking. But a last we get a choice between a douche and a turd sandwich.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoHeart said:

It was global and we thrived because the entire world pumped stimulus into infrastructure and cut interest rates to zero. Commodity based economies like Canada, Mexico, Russia and China provided the materials and energy to emerge from that. That is what happens when a government sets the backdrop to capitalize on a generational opportunity. Now we have poor relations with the biggest emerging economy (india) and the second largest economy in the world (China). 

Boo.  Fucking.  Hoo

Funny thing about us being a resource rich nation.  Emerging economies like that, will desperately need our resources.  More so, for strategic purposes so will the US.

As for them being upset with us, how happy will they be if Pierre sweeps in to power and actually grows a pair with his tough talk about how he will treat China and India?  Just curious

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

EV transition is happening far more rapidly because of this than it would have without it.  The big 3 domestics as well as the big 3 foreigns have pivoted their assembly lines towards green hydrogen and ev manufacturing.  No government involvement, no pivot.

The left hand shakes the right hand, savvy?

Not much is really truly green. Their just making money off our backs while grifting.

51 minutes ago, bolt said:

I've asked many electricians and they all said our grid can't handle it.  But if you have to lie to prove a point.

https://montrealgazette.com/opinion/opinion-provinces-lack-power-grids-to-meet-ottawas-ev-mandate

Why is it every time you post any kind of link it has the word opinion in it?

Do you have any qualified or credible links to EXPERTS making a case based on expert fact or?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, bolt said:

There's only one man who will save a white christmas and his name is Justin...Canada alone can save the world increasing emissions since 2015.

I watched some of it.  Both come off as twits to a certain degree.  To use the term 'point of view' again, it's pick your twit time depending on your POV.

Edited by Satchmo

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

Not much is really truly green. Their just making money off our backs while grifting.

The creation of "green energy" is carbon heavy there's zero doubt.  It's what happens after that has the impact.  That's what people ignore when making those arguments.  The making of petrol vehicles is carbon heavy but on the road they are also carbon heavy vs hydrogen/ev which on the road are not.

The creation of a green energy grid should have been started 20 years ago but is not, has not and will not be started by the end of this decade which is shameful

45 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why are we cutting corporate tax when across the board they're taking in record profits every quarter?

Stop giving shit away for free when the middle and low income earners are getting screwed at the registers

Dude, corporations don’t give a fuck about the corporate tax rate. The guy who runs a plumbing company or the organic farmer does. It pisses me off when people think giant corporations when they hear corporate tax. 

21 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what points Bolt thought he/she was scoring with that one, but from my perspective, it was an air ball....

Maybe a tad dramatic, but the gist of it was fairly accurate.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why is it every time you post any kind of link it has the word opinion in it?

My guess is that they consider every opinion piece that supports their world view = "fact", while every opinion piece that doesn't = "useless opinion".  :classic_ninja:

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

My guess is that they consider every opinion piece that supports their world view = "fact", while every opinion piece that doesn't = "useless opinion".  :classic_ninja:

I think maybe we need a thread about where people should go for information since many clearly struggle to understand what constitutes a valid source.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I think maybe we need a thread about where people should go for information since many clearly struggle to understand what constitutes a valid source.

Except they'll claim that the thread is constructed by "brainwashed sheeple" who only follow "mainstream media" and can't do "critical thinking", and then they'll run off to their favourite social media star to "do their own research".  :classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bolt said:

I've asked many electricians and they all said our grid can't handle it.  But if you have to lie to prove a point.

https://montrealgazette.com/opinion/opinion-provinces-lack-power-grids-to-meet-ottawas-ev-mandate

Seems like the government forgot about how they will charge almost 2 million EV cars in 2035.  

Oh wait, the upgrade to the grid will only cost $16 billion in BC alone and take 20 years to complete...

EVs remain a relatively small share of Canada’s vehicle market, growing from less than one per cent of total vehicle sales in 2017 to 10.8 per cent in 2023 (the latest year of available data). In 2023, out of 1.7 million new vehicles sold in Canada, only 185,000 were electric. While current provincial power grids appear to have adequately managed EV charging demands, EV sales must reach 1 million by 2030 and 1.7 million by 2035 (assuming no growth in the total amount of vehicles sold) to meet the government’s mandate.

Accommodating this demand surge would require significant investments in new electricity generation capacity. Specifically, Canada would need to construct 10 new mega hydroelectric dams, comparable to B.C.’s Site C, or alternatively, 13 new gas plants of 500-megawatt (MW) capacity.

The timelines and costs associated with such projects are daunting. B.C.’s Site C dam took more than a decade to plan and comply with environmental regulations and another decade to construct. Site C, which is still under construction, is expected to cost $16 billion.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • ThereItIs 1

39 minutes ago, bolt said:

Why is Justin Trudeau calling it Christmas?  Isn't that racist?  The church has no place in government really...

29 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Dude, corporations don’t give a fuck about the corporate tax rate. The guy who runs a plumbing company or the organic farmer does. It pisses me off when people think giant corporations when they hear corporate tax. 

They don't?

So then we can raise it to help reign in those insane record profits and it won't mean anything.

Good to know.

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seems like the government forgot about how they will charge almost 2 million EV cars in 2035.  

Oh wait, the upgrade to the grid will only cost $16 billion in BC alone and take 20 years to complete...

EVs remain a relatively small share of Canada’s vehicle market, growing from less than one per cent of total vehicle sales in 2017 to 10.8 per cent in 2023 (the latest year of available data). In 2023, out of 1.7 million new vehicles sold in Canada, only 185,000 were electric. While current provincial power grids appear to have adequately managed EV charging demands, EV sales must reach 1 million by 2030 and 1.7 million by 2035 (assuming no growth in the total amount of vehicles sold) to meet the government’s mandate.

Accommodating this demand surge would require significant investments in new electricity generation capacity. Specifically, Canada would need to construct 10 new mega hydroelectric dams, comparable to B.C.’s Site C, or alternatively, 13 new gas plants of 500-megawatt (MW) capacity.

The timelines and costs associated with such projects are daunting. B.C.’s Site C dam took more than a decade to plan and comply with environmental regulations and another decade to construct. Site C, which is still under construction, is expected to cost $16 billion.

I still get email from Nova Scotia Power. They sent out requests recently for those who charge electric vehicles to do so during low power consumption times. They even offered financial incentives to do so. Crazy how governments pushed for going electric but don’t have the infrastructure in place. Lots of dead EVs out there and more coming. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Can you post something that proves otherwise?

Sure, took me all of 10 seconds Petey.  I mean how lazy does one have to be to avoid doing such a minimal amount of work am I right?

Turns out that the issue is the infrastructure in some areas of Canada isn't up to snuff YET but at this stage there is little to no danger from Evs as long as the infrastructure grows with demand.

Funny how that works

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-evs-arent-burdening-canadas-electricity-grids-yet/#:~:text=Some experts believe utilities have,so in total electricity demand.

https://www.hilltimes.com/story/2024/03/20/expanded-electric-capacity-to-handle-evs-must-be-taken-seriously-say-experts/415316/

https://www.bchydro.com/news/conservation/2021/ev-myths-busted.html

It's almost like...someone didn't want to see that their bullshit wasnt factual

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I still get email from Nova Scotia Power. They sent out requests recently for those who charge electric vehicles to do so during low power consumption times. They even offered financial incentives to do so. Crazy how governments pushed for going electric but don’t have the infrastructure in place. Lots of dead EVs out there and more coming. 

Not only is the infrastructure not in place to manage 2 million EV cars, but those cars can't even be driven in the winter months in places with extreme cold temperatures...

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not only is the infrastructure not in place to manage 2 million EV cars, but those cars can't even be driven in the winter months in places with extreme cold temperatures...

Don't worry.  Winters are going to get warmer.  🙂

• Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

bs, I'll also add, why do regular vehicles need block heaters to start in extreme cold? Isn't that using electricity?

• Vintage 1