Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

nice try. But thanks for actually revealing your true position. 

There's no need to enshrine a right women already have. 

Wouldn't it be helpful if it was made into law and part of the Constitution, so that a guy like Trump couldn't come in and reverse it with a stacked court in his favour?  I think logically they should put it into the Constitution...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wouldn't it be helpful if it was made into law and part of the Constitution, so that a guy like Trump couldn't come in and reverse it with a stacked court in his favour?  I think logically they should put it into the Constitution...

its already in our constitution. You guys want to make a law which you can then amend to suit your religious beliefs, just like in the US.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm not, it's your CPC backbenchers. 

It's sad you live in constant fear just because of the Liberals desperation.  Nothing will change, you'll still be able to have an abortion Bob.

Edited by bolt
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bolt said:

If Harper didn't do it neither will Pierre.  Did you know you need a majority of MPs to vote and also need the senate approval.  Also it would be political suicide.

You're just feeding into the Liberal gaslighting to change the subject of everything else.  

Fear and divide isn't a winning strategy.  

Gaslighting again.  It's the word of the week it seems.   Adding liberal to it does not make it an exclusively liberal endeavor.

Neither is fear and division exclusively liberal.   To use my phrase of the week, it really comes down to your point of view as to who is sowing more of it.

its already in our constitution. You guys want to make a law which you can then amend to suit your religious beliefs, just like in the US.

You got all that out of "conservatives will not regulate abortions"?

Just now, bolt said:

It's sad you live in constant fear just because the Liberals desperation.  Nothing will change,  you'll still be able to have an abortion Bob.

what is with you guys? "emotional" "fear" etc. The only one pushing emotion is Skip and his rage farming. 

9 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

It would be political suicide for him to touch abortion.  He knows that. We know that.  Pierre is smart enough not to lose this election over this issue GNLnIfsawAAIVlN.thumb.jpeg.681c205dd62d65d28f6648998d583f18.jpeg

He didn't vote against the one 3 weeks ago though.  he didn't stand and applaud when the Libs strengthened abortion rights (No cons did) and he spent his first decade in office 

Weird.

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm trying to clarify your stand on politicization of the courts. You're arguing to wait on Trump, but based on what? if its OK to politicize the courts for a preferred agenda like getting rid of Roe which effects every potential parent in the US, how can you justify not politicizing going after Trump committing a crime? 

I never argued that it was okay to get rid of Roe V Wade.  It was stupid and the only way Trump could get away with it was to stack the Supreme Court with his buddies.  So, you are incorrect.  I don't agree with the politization of the courts on BOTH sides of the aisle for any reason.  The courts are supposed to be neutral, not political, at least that's how it was in the old days.  I remember Justice Scalia and Justice Ginsburg had a really great friendship when they were both alive.  Both talked very highly of each other.  It's not like that any longer...

• Cheers 1

anyone paying attention knows what the con strategy is. 

And how did that strategy play out during the Harper years?

As far as I can tell abortion rights are as strong as ever?

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The courts.  And the lower courts are politicized exactly the same as the Supreme Court.  Everyone knows the Supreme Court always votes in Trump's favour, he literally put all of his buddies on the court.  He did it on purpose to reverse Roe v Wade, did he not?  

Your bait is weak.

You know what you're saying and you know what you're suggesting.

Grow up mate.

Just now, Spring Salmon said:

Ok man

OK what? you can't argue me on the facts so you try to dismiss it with "emotional".

But the fact is, the strategy is to bring in new laws. 

I think you guys know this and know how vulnerable a point this is for the CPC. 

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

And how did that strategy play out during the Harper years?

As far as I can tell abortion rights are as strong as ever?

Skippy isn't Harper. I wish he was as smart as Harper. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

what is with you guys? "emotional" "fear" etc. The only one pushing emotion is Skip and his rage farming. 

Both parties can be considered to be "rage farming"  it's only a select few like yourself who don't recognize the Liberals are doing the exact same thing to an even more extreme level of "rage farming".  That is exactly why we're somehow talking about Canadian abortion rights.

Politicians who are nose-diving in the polls either resort to desperation or just resign.

Edited by bolt
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

On one hand:  All you guys can do is look back and say Harper Harper Harper; he has no bearing on what Pierre will do.

On the other hand:  Harper was in power for years and he never

So....which is it?  Is the former government fair game or not?

Also, the Liberals are not bringing this up.  Those links are ALL CONSERVATIVES making statements about it.  Why is that hard to comprehend?  They won't do it, except they literally are.  Talking about Gaslighting I literally showed you video of an MP bringing a motion not 3 weeks ago, Pierre saying he won't stop MPs, Conservative brass refusing to allow MPs to comment on the Roe V Wade decision and no less than 14 MPs with statements about wanting to restrict abortion access in canada to "protect the kids" with you saying it isn't happening.

So who is gaslighting whom?

Why do they never respond to this stuff?

Is it because they know it's inarguable based on their positions?

Bottom line is over the past 4 years motions have been brought up a few times.  3 weeks ago even.  MPs are not allowed to speak about it because they were muzzled.  They refused to an MP to applaud anything regarding strengthening laws for the right to choose.

But anything Harper did was in the past and has no bearing at all on today, until it suits the argument to prove a hypothetical point today.

It would be amusing if it wasn't so sad

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Your bait is weak.

You know what you're saying and you know what you're suggesting.

Grow up mate.

Why are you so hostile lately?  Did LaBamba really rile you up that much yesterday?  I mean, he did come in with his guns cocked and ready to go and you too went at it just like the good old days.  It was quite fun actually.  FYI, whatever happened to Ryan Strome?  Did he get banned again?  I though he added alot to this thread at the beginning and then he disappeared...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Why are you so hostile lately?  Did LaBamba really rile you up that much yesterday?  I mean, he did come in with his guns cocked and ready to go and you too went at it just like the good old days.  It was quite fun actually.  FYI, whatever happened to Ryan Strome?  Did he get banned again?  I though he added alot to this thread at the beginning and then he disappeared...

It's hard to go to a safe place when that place isn't safe anymore because people want to lie their asses off to justify their position while ignoring literal real world statements and actions that run counter to their position.  It causes frustration.

Strome?  Honestly....kind of pissed off about the one sided over moderation of the Hamas v Israel thread.  He came back, made it like 3 days and was the victim of over moderation based on what appears to be little more than personal bias.  A LOT of returning posters died out in that thread and it's genuinely infuriating because we lost dozens of middle of the road, centre right, hard right posters who would have brought a nice counter point here to the OT forum and who were and are amazingly well versed in actual hockey topics.

So Strome came back and then was gone less than a week later

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't believe that is true.  A woman's right to "life, liberty and security of the person" guaranteed under Section 7 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms established in 1982.[11].  This is what is in the Constitution.  There is also a court case from 1988:

In 1988, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled in R. v. Morgentaler that the existing law was unconstitutional, and struck down the 1969 Act.[10] The ruling found that the 1969 abortion law violated a woman's right to "life, liberty and security of the person" guaranteed under Section 7 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms established in 1982.[11]

This is similar to Roe V Wade, which we know was eventually overturned by a politicized court.  There is nothing in our Constitution that specifically mentions abortions.  

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

OK what? you can't argue me on the facts so you try to dismiss it with "emotional".

But the fact is, the strategy is to bring in new laws. 

I think you guys know this and know how vulnerable a point this is for the CPC. 

You've provided no facts, just your opinion and emotions

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Skippy isn't Harper. I wish he was as smart as Harper. 

I agree Harper is a smart man.  Never should have voted him out.  We would have been a lot better off with him as PM than 9 years of Justin 

Just now, Spring Salmon said:

You've provided no facts, just your opinion and emotions

I agree Harper is a smart man.  Never should have voted him out.  We would have been a lot better off with him as PM than 9 years of Justin 

No...umm...no.