Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Some of the responses were a little harsh I have to admit but just wait 20 - 30 - 40 years and see how you feel when somebody slags old folks.  You are bound to join in and protect your old turf.

Besides that, I've been following your phone plan complaints with an open mind but I just can't see the merit of your argument.  Looks like others couldn't  either.

Well some of the posters are unfortunately unwilling or unable to look at things from another point of view. Yea, calling them boomers is a little much but so is the ignorance 

It's disingenuous to say phone plans are cheaper. Then go, but first you have to call Telus and sit on the line arguing with some dude in India and tell him if I don't get a better deal I'm leaving! 

People don't want to do that and they shouldn't have to.

Anyways this conversation isn't going anywhere, so I'll stop here

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Well some of the posters are unfortunately unwilling or unable to look at things from another point of view. Yea, calling them boomers is a little much but so is the ignorance 

It's disingenuous to say phone plans are cheaper. Then go, but first you have to call Telus and sit on the line arguing with some dude in India and tell him if I don't get a better deal I'm leaving! 

People don't want to do that and they shouldn't have to.

Well there's also the option of choosing a phone company that meets your budget.  This is the free market at work, which I thought was the solution that conservatives historically liked...

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Explain "old stock Canadians" to me then!

What about it.  That's not the least bit racist.  And good edit. "good stock Canadians". Lol. You don't even know why you're mad

Edited by Spring Salmon
Spelling

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So let me ask you a question. What is the process to reverse R v Morgantaler?  The Supreme Court or can PP simply do it on his own with party support?  The decision was 5-2 and has never been challenged since. 

Roe v Wade was reversed by Trump’s Supreme Court. Are you suggesting PP is going to stack the court?  

What makes you think you  need to reverse RvMorgentaler. That decision did not establish abortion as a right, rather it simply said the criminal penalty was unconstitutional because the medical requirements to obtain one did not treat women from different regions equally.

PP has made it clear that his government will use the notwithstanding clause to challenge the charter where it sees fit.

In a 5-2 decision, written by Chief Justice Brian Dickson, the court ruled that Section 251 of the Criminal Code was unfair, and that it violated Section 7 of the charter, which guarantees the right of life, liberty and the security of the person. 

But in his decision, Dickson did leave open the possibility that a different kind of law could withstand a charter challenge, Gilbert said.

It would be difficult but not impossible. Don’t forget Mulroney tried in 1991.

The Progressive Conservative government of Brian Mulroney introduced a bill taking aim at abortion that passed the House of Commons, but it was defeated in the Senate in 1991. Since then, no government has attempted to introduce similar legislation, meaning Canada has no laws governing abortion. 

That means, in theory, a party could attempt to pass a new bill restricting abortion.

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

What makes you think you  need to reverse RvMorgentaler. That decision did not establish abortion as a right, rather it simply said the criminal penalty was unconstitutional because the medical requirements to obtain one did not treat women from different regions equally.

PP has made it clear that his government will use the notwithstanding clause to challenge the charter where it sees fit.

In a 5-2 decision, written by Chief Justice Brian Dickson, the court ruled that Section 251 of the Criminal Code was unfair, and that it violated Section 7 of the charter, which guarantees the right of life, liberty and the security of the person. 

But in his decision, Dickson did leave open the possibility that a different kind of law could withstand a charter challenge, Gilbert said.

It would be difficult but not impossible. Don’t forget Mulroney tried in 1991.

The Progressive Conservative government of Brian Mulroney introduced a bill taking aim at abortion that passed the House of Commons, but it was defeated in the Senate in 1991. Since then, no government has attempted to introduce similar legislation, meaning Canada has no laws governing abortion. 

That means, in theory, a party could attempt to pass a new bill restricting abortion.

Yes, I made this point earlier.  There actually isn't a law governing abortion in Canada, never has been.  Which is why the Chretien or Trudeau governments with their majorities should have tried.  Same with Clinton and Obama in the US.  Unless it is a part of the Constitution it can always be challenged in the future.

To be totally straight with you, most people who are going to vote Conservative are going to prioritize the economy, their job and putting food on the table.  That is the reality.  Social programs and to a lesser extent abortion will be on the back burner.  Sorry to say, but when the current government runs a deficit of $40 billion+ annually as an interest payment with over $1 trillion in debt, tough decisions need to be made.  Chretien did the same thing in 1995 in order to get his budgets balanced.  Trudeau has never balanced a budget, so that will be his downfall...

Can some one please tell me just what a,  cheap phone plan issue, has to do with the federal government?

It can't be a conservative asking for government intervention in the market place , can it?

maybe, just like the magnetic north and south poles; political parties viewpoints are also going to move?

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

There's today's conservative.

I knew it couldn't be hidden for too long.

Once upon a time, Conservatives just looked and said so what.  Walked the other way.  Confident about who they were and what they believed in.  Now....yup

They all show their true colours and crash and burn eventually. This site just happens to be a little more lenient than the last. Pierre's rage farm must grow em with thin skin

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Gurn said:

Can some one please tell me just what a,  cheap phone plan issue, has to do with the federal government?

It can't be a conservative asking for government intervention in the market place , can it?

maybe, just like the magnetic north and south poles; political parties viewpoints are also going to move?

CRTC can mandate more competition, and has. 

Like I said above, I only pay $34 per month for 50gb of data. I could pay more, but why would I? 

Oh and I did that on chat with a quick callback.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

CRTC can mandate more competition, and has. 

Like I said above, I only pay $34 per month for 50gb of data. I could pay more, but why would I? 

Oh and I did that on chat with a quick callback.

Weird that so many people here have done that but apparently "nobody has time for it".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

There's an old saying..."The squeaky wheel gets the grease"....

You probably never heard it....'cause it's, you know, old....

Unless it's camped out on Parliament Hill, blockading a border crossing, protesting a hospital, shouting obscenities at a pac committee meeting.....Then the wheel can fuck right off. No grease for you!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

If I can play while holding a beer in my hand, I'm in....

Croquet may be for you. THere are official rules about the shooter having to ASK for a drink to be picked up off the paddock if they think it may be hit, or else if the shot knocks it over the shooter owes the drinker a replacement, and must play from where the ball lies if they have another shot remaining. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Someone said everything had gotten more expensive under the Liberal government, or something like that. A poster responded saying phone plans had gotten cheaper. Then the straw man craft fair began, and here we.are. 

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Weird that so many people here have done that but apparently "nobody has time for it".

The average age of the members who post here is clearly a lot higher then that of the rest of society. So I see why is hard to understand 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

The average age of the members who post here is clearly a lot higher then that of the rest of society. So I see why is hard to understand 

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/canada-population/

For the record (not that it matters), I'm under the median age...  If you say no one has time for something, that means the whole population, not a specific age.  When you misuse the English language, it does make you hard to understand, especially when you turn out to be incorrect.

6 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Someone said everything had gotten more expensive under the Liberal government, or something like that. A poster responded saying phone plans had gotten cheaper. Then the straw man craft fair began, and here we.are. 

Show me where you can walk into any of the big 3 and get a new iPhone and walk out paying less than you did 5 years ago. If you can I'll stop. 

Because the argument is phone plans as a whole are cheaper. Not if you can sit on the line for 30 minutes haggling some poor dude who can barely speak English. Or going to some shitty subsidiary of the big 3 and using your 5 year old phone that can't even hold a charge anymore.

Show me where you can walk into any of the big 3 and get a new iPhone and walk out paying less than you did 5 years ago. If you can I'll stop. 

Because the argument is phone plans as a whole are cheaper. Not if you can sit on the line for 30 minutes haggling some poor dude who can barely speak English. Or going to some shitty subsidiary of the big 3 and using your 5 year old phone that can't even hold a charge anymore.

A phone itself is not part of the phone plan.   Should we also be including the amortized price of the TV when discussing the price of cable?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/canada-population/

For the record (not that it matters), I'm under the median age...  If you say no one has time for something, that means the whole population, not a specific age.  When you misuse the English language, it does make you hard to understand, especially when you turn out to be incorrect.

When you purposely misunderstand something to try to score a pat on the back for yourself, it isn't the victory you think it is...

Trying using your comprehension skills to understand that's not literal. That's part of understanding the English language 

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

A phone itself is not part of the phone plan.   Should we also be including the amortized price of the TV when discussing the price of cable?

You seriously think people don't get a new phone each time their contract is up? 

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

When you purposely misunderstand something to try to score a pat on the back for yourself, it isn't the victory you think it is...

Trying using your comprehension skills to understand that's not literal. That's part of understanding the English language 

Nah, you just were obviously incorrect and couldn't man up.  There's a reason that legal contracts go with the principle of contra proferentem, which means that any ambiguity is to be interpreted in favour of the party who didn't write it.  It's not everyone else's job to try to understand what you were trying to say and failed.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You seriously think people don't get a new phone each time their contract is up? 

Plenty of options for phones; got myself a perfectly satisfactory one on Amazon for a good deal.  Why replace something that works perfectly satisfactorily?  Seems like a waste of money.  The point is that the carriers have a lot more control over the cost of data and airtime than they do over the physical phone; one is a product, and one is a service.

Edited by King Heffy

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Nah, you just were obviously incorrect and couldn't man up.  There's a reason that legal contracts go with the principle of contra proferentem, which means that any ambiguity is to be interpreted in favour of the party who didn't write it.  It's not everyone else's job to try to understand what you were trying to say and failed.

"Nah, you just were obviously incorrect and couldn't man up" 

Jesus Christ, you are really gonna double down on that ignorance eh? 

If someone says "I'm sooo hungry I could eat a horse" You just assume they literally want to eat a horse? Like get real man 🤦

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Plenty of options for phones; got myself a perfectly satisfactory one on Amazon for a good deal.  Why replace something that works perfectly satisfactorily?  Seems like a waste of money.  The point is that the carriers have a lot more control over the cost of data and airtime than they do over the physical phone; they are objectively a different product.

Cool. Not many people have the option or the ability to spend that much money up front for a phone. Even a cheap one off Amazon.

Also my current phone is the first one I won't ever have to replace after the contract is up due to the battery no longer holding a charge. I know I'm not the only one who's had that issue 

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

"Nah, you just were obviously incorrect and couldn't man up" 

Jesus Christ, you are really gonna double down on that ignorance eh? 

If someone says "I'm sooo hungry I could eat a horse" You just assume they literally want to eat a horse? Like get real man 🤦

One is a common expression.  The other is you making a claim and then multiple people chiming in and correcting you.  I'm not going to provide you with further remedial education to fix the problem since you're not willing to put in the work to improve.  I, personally, do not have the time to teach you how to communicate with the grown-ups.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Cool. Not many people have the option or the ability to spend that much money up front for a phone. Even a cheap one off Amazon.

Also my current phone is the first one I won't ever have to replace after the contract is up due to the battery no longer holding a charge. I know I'm not the only one who's had that issue 

Nice that we have the right to repair to get the battery replaced then, isn't it?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/what-on-earth-right-to-repair-canada-1.7023762

Edited by King Heffy

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

One is a common expression.  The other is you making a claim and then multiple people chiming in and correcting you.  I'm not going to provide you with further remedial education to fix the problem since you're not willing to put in the work to improve.  I, personally, do not have the time to teach you how to communicate with the grown-ups.

Your ignorance is beyond my scope of understanding. I have never seen someone try sooo hard to willfully ignore what is being said because you have no counter. Deflection is all I see hear