Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I guess it is fair to say I am a partisan, I have a framed photo of myself with our Prime Minister just above my monitor as I type this out. Firm handshake, he does have better hair than mine, but I must say on that particular day, my socks outrocked his. 

Now having said that, I believe I am a bit left of the Liberal Party, right of the NDP and frankly the Greens are irrelevant at this point and actually just help elect CONs to office by splitting off 4 to 7 % of the progressive vote in 'tight' ridings.

I wanted to agree with you that it is simply not possible to have the best outcome that we did have under a different government banner. The only two options for Prime Minister lately and in the next election are JT's Liberals with NDP help, OR Conservatives, who we have seen cozy up to the alt right if not outright creating the alt right in Canada over the years. 

I was in the Audience listening to Preston Manning sometime around 1993/4 when a young Steven Harper was a speech writer for Preston and I have been around politics long enough to remember when Pierre Poilievre was an intern to Harper who wrote in university a paper on why all politicians should be limited to 2 terms in elected office. That paper launched Poilievre's political career and he was elected not long after he wrote it, in 2004. Cough...many many terms in office later, the author of that Paper now wants us to not know that he was onboarded by Harper who was onboarded by Manning and it is still the exact same party with the exact same masters: oil.

The reformers, now the Conservative Party of Canada, could not have guided us through the pandemic as well as the actual government did, because everything that was needed to reduce deaths in Canada and prop up the economy in Canada are simply anethema to the core principles of the CON MEN. They couldn't do it because they can't do it, they wouldn't do it now if it was to all happen again. It is their nature. Obviously a quarter of Canadians agree with that, and they should, the ReformaCons spend more than any other party convincing folks to agree with them. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day, regardless of who you support to guide Canada's present and most importantly our future. We can politely agree or disagree and that is a staple of Canadian Democracy. The loud aggressive right wing yankee style of politics is nothing more than bullying here in Canada and those folks don't represent any real Canadian option. Lastly, for the record, I was a Progressive Conservative supporter until Peter Mackay lied to win the leadership and promptly went back on his word and folded the PC's into the Reform party..effectively ending a decent right of center option for Canada. 

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I guess it is fair to say I am a partisan, I have a framed photo of myself with our Prime Minister just above my monitor as I type this out. Firm handshake, he does have better hair than mine, but I must say on that particular day, my socks outrocked his. 

Now having said that, I believe I am a bit left of the Liberal Party, right of the NDP and frankly the Greens are irrelevant at this point and actually just help elect CONs to office by splitting off 4 to 7 % of the progressive vote in 'tight' ridings.

I wanted to agree with you that it is simply not possible to have the best outcome that we did have under a different government banner. The only two options for Prime Minister lately and in the next election are JT's Liberals with NDP help, OR Conservatives, who we have seen cozy up to the alt right if not outright creating the alt right in Canada over the years. 

I was in the Audience listening to Preston Manning sometime around 1993/4 when a young Steven Harper was a speech writer for Preston and I have been around politics long enough to remember when Pierre Poilievre was an intern to Harper who wrote in university a paper on why all politicians should be limited to 2 terms in elected office. That paper launched Poilievre's political career and he was elected not long after he wrote it, in 2004. Cough...many many terms in office later, the author of that Paper now wants us to not know that he was onboarded by Harper who was onboarded by Manning and it is still the exact same party with the exact same masters: oil.

The reformers, now the Conservative Party of Canada, could not have guided us through the pandemic as well as the actual government did, because everything that was needed to reduce deaths in Canada and prop up the economy in Canada are simply anethema to the core principles of the CON MEN. They couldn't do it because they can't do it, they wouldn't do it now if it was to all happen again. It is their nature. Obviously a quarter of Canadians agree with that, and they should, the ReformaCons spend more than any other party convincing folks to agree with them. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day, regardless of who you support to guide Canada's present and most importantly our future. We can politely agree or disagree and that is a staple of Canadian Democracy. The loud aggressive right wing yankee style of politics is nothing more than bullying here in Canada and those folks don't represent any real Canadian option. Lastly, for the record, I was a Progressive Conservative supporter until Peter Mackay lied to win the leadership and promptly went back on his word and folded the PC's into the Reform party..effectively ending a decent right of center option for Canada. 

Much better written and explained than I could ever dream of. This Country would never survive a Conservative Party with a majority government.  People like to call JT a dictator, etc., but we would never recognize Canada with PP and his gang of wingnuts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Agreed. The "it doesn't matter which party" argument is lazy, ignorant and blatantly incorrect. The Liberals/Liberals-NDP are certainly FAR from perfect, but for the vast majority of Canadians, and ESPECIALLY those living on the margins, things get worse under the Cons historically, while we watch them slash social safety nets, coast guard, military etc and selling off Canadian resources to foreigners to "balance the budget"

*Now with 50% more added archaic, regressive and hate filled social policies and ignoring science!*

No difference, my ass.

To me, the whole "They're all the same" is a cop used by people who are supporting a certain party or politician that they believe others find distasteful. Doesn't mater which one you vote for, if they're all the same.....

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Agreed. The "it doesn't matter which party" argument is lazy, ignorant and blatantly incorrect. The Liberals/Liberals-NDP are certainly FAR from perfect, but for the vast majority of Canadians, and ESPECIALLY those living on the margins, things get worse under the Cons historically, while we watch them slash social safety nets, coast guard, military etc and selling off Canadian resources to foreigners to "balance the budget"

*Now with 50% more added archaic, regressive and hate filled social policies and ignoring science!*

No difference, my ass.

But, PP is married to a minority woman, so he must be a nice guy, lol! Instead of pointing fingers, I want to see a policy if that’s not too hard to ask.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

But, PP is married to a minority woman, so he must be a nice guy, lol! Instead of pointing fingers, I want to see a policy if that’s not too hard to ask.

Who needs policy when you can try to form government from emotional response alone?  :classic_rolleyes:

:hurhur:

• Vintage 3

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/science/cyberattacks-hit-military-parliament-websites-as-india-hacker-group-targets-canada/ar-AA1hoXui?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=297740f7fd1449258c894e38d5fbc396&ei=26

"

TTAWA — The federal government is coping with apparent cyberattacks this week, as a hacker group in India claims it has sowed chaos in Ottawa.

The Canadian Armed Forces says that its website became unavailable to mobile users midday Wednesday, but was fixed within a few hours.

The military says the site is separate from other government sites, such as the one used by the Department of Defence, and the incident remains under investigation.

Various pages on the House of Commons website are continuing to load slowly or incompletely due to an ongoing attack that officials say started Monday morning.

The Commons administration says it's facing a distributed denial-of-service attack, which is when bots swarm a website with multiple visits and cause it to stop loading properly.

A hacking group named Indian Cyber Force has claimed responsibility for the incident involving the military, and appears to have managed to infiltrate a handful of websites owned by small businesses in Canada.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 28, 2023.

Freedumb / Anti Vax / Anti Sogi  / Qanon crackpots.      Sometimes you have to laugh at how poorly  informed so many Canadians are in these new social media times......

Laughter is better than anger or sadness.....

Yes, the Okanagan Skaha school district has laid in a stock of kitty litter.

No, it’s not that the district has embraced diversity to the point of allowing students to use separate bathrooms complete with litter boxes, if they identify as a cat — as some have suggested on social media.

Rather, it’s useful to have on hand during the wintertime when added traction is needed on frozen surfaces.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/kitty-kitter-purchased-by-okanagan-schools-is-not-for-students-who-identify-as-cats

Edited by moosehead
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Freedumb / Anti Vax / Anti Sogi  crackpots.      Sometimes you have to laugh at how poorly  informed so many Canadians are in these new social media times......

No, it’s not that the district has embraced diversity to the point of allowing students to use separate bathrooms complete with litter boxes, if they identify as a cat — as some have suggested on social media.

Rather, it’s useful to have on hand during the wintertime when added traction is needed on frozen surfaces.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/kitty-kitter-purchased-by-okanagan-schools-is-not-for-students-who-identify-as-cats

Ugghhh

So.  I know Ross who is the maintenance head here in penticton and SD.67

Kitty litter goes in all district vehicles in october due to safety issues.  They spread it on steps walkways and in front of and behind vans because it melts snow, provides traction and is far easier to clean up than dumping gravel or salt (without affecting landscape)

But yup, people are jumping on this the idiots.....

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, moosehead said:

Freedumb / Anti Vax / Anti Sogi people crack me up.....    Sometimes you have to laugh at how poorly  informed so many Canadians are in these new social media times......

OmFG.

Seriously, this is why it doesn't matter about the truth anymore.

The kitty litter never happened, anywhere, for the reason these dipsh*ts say. 

Even the guru, the mighty midget, Joe Rogan who started this whole thing said he was wrong. But once it's out there, it doesn't matter. If it sounds like something they can use....LFG~!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ugghhh

So.  I know Ross who is the maintenance head here in penticton and SD.67

Kitty litter goes in all district vehicles in october due to safety issues.  They spread it on steps walkways and in front of and behind vans because it melts snow, provides traction and is far easier to clean up than dumping gravel or salt (without affecting landscape)

But yup, people are jumping on this the idiots.....

Janitors always had a supply on hand in elementary schools. I would guess most of us can remember some poor kid having an accident in class.

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Janitors always had a supply on hand in elementary schools. I would guess most of us can remember some poor kid having an accident in class.

It just makes me cringe that the people suggesting this are the ones claiming they are trying to protect our kids from groomers or sogi or whatever.

Like ffs really?  REALLY?  What are you really protecting them from?  Not slipping down some stairs?  

The worst part is that a large number of people who believe this crap are now organized and running for school boards/trustees across the nation

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

21 hours ago, moosehead said:

Politics are a dead end.  All parties in the end are exactly the same.   Taxpayers get screwed and people that need support never get an appropriate amount of support to escape the poverty cycle.

Take care.    Most canadians politically are in the middle.  Sucks that all Canadian political parties have such poor leaders. 

My best advice is that if you don't see a party with your particular leanings as their reason for existing, then perhaps reach out and tell them so, get involved and move the needle or in extreme instances, run for office yourself, where you don't feel represented.

In about 2007/2008 and got involved with the party that was closest to my own beliefs in how we should go forward, and today I am involved with three files, working for seniors, those with disabilities, and our First Nations. I feel I am being heard quite literally because I am in zoom meetings that include federal Ministers, and I have had the ear of the Prime Minister over three elections, for coming close to 2 hours of time where I am talking and he is listening (granted in small minutes long moments over time). It isn't really all that hard to get involved and to move the conversation or advance your ideals, it just takes the wish to be proactive. I feel like I accomplished more in a 5 minute zoom meeting than hundreds of folks get done with picket signs and sneers on the sidewalk while inconveniencing locals... 

Shrug, I get that most people don't have the time or the inclination to get involved and that is fine too, but please at the very least everyone go vote. Find the candidate that most closely reps your beliefs/thoughts/convictions and vote. People around the globe are literally DYING to vote. I was in Syria when the elder dictator died and his son the new dictator took over..fast forward 22 years and Syrians are STILL dying to get a chance to vote. Don't squander yours. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

My best advice is that if you don't see a party with your particular leanings as their reason for existing, then perhaps reach out and tell them so, get involved and move the needle or in extreme instances, run for office yourself, where you don't feel represented.

Cons - Libs and NDP - pretty much every elected person i have ever met is involved for personal gain.   So no thanks to joining them.

I prefer to help others in need in my community directly.     At least this way, i know my aid is going straight to those in need. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

A side note on the far right:

My left of leaning self married a right-leaning gal....well, she and her family are like Max Bernier right....so, ya it's interesting.  In fact, most of the area are Max Bernier fans. I'd say most, if not all, of these people have the following characteristics:  

1.  Support Trump

2.  Anit Vax (Plandemic)

3.  Earth is possibly flat

4.  Moon landings are faked

5.  The Russia war is faked and Ukraine is full of Nazi's 

6.  mistrust of public healthcare 

7. etc. etc. etc.

I asked her WHY?     It comes from a deep and pervasive mistrust of experts, societal structures, media organizations, governments and their policies, and science in general.

For whatever reasons, they trust the "man on the street or the boots on the ground" more than they trust an outside entity reporting events.  They'd rather believe that someone is "for them, the people" than a media or societal organization they can't see through.  They believe the word of the common man more than they believe those in an "ivory tower".    

Likely, they've seen or heard a snippet of deceit, lie, shadiness, in one or more "official" government or societal structure and therefore can't or won't trust any of them.   They share FB memes and "articles" that already confirm their own biases like the Gospel and don't check the factual evidence behind these memes.  Of course, they say, "who's checking the fact checkers"?....I do see their point.   

A basic level of trust is needed I suppose.  

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, TheBearded1 said:

My left of leaning self married a right-leaning gal....well, she and her family are like Max Bernier right....so, ya it's interesting.  In fact, most of the area are Max Bernier fans. I'd say most, if not all, of these people have the following characteristics:  

1.  Support Trump

2.  Anit Vax (Plandemic)

7. etc. etc. etc.

I asked her WHY?     It comes from a deep and pervasive mistrust of experts, societal structures, media organizations, governments and their policies, and science in general.

For whatever reasons, they trust the "man on the street or the boots on the ground" more than they trust an outside entity reporting events.  They'd rather believe that someone is "for them, the people" than a media or societal organization they can't see through.  They believe the word of the common man more than they believe those in an "ivory tower".    

Likely, they've seen or heard a snippet of deceit, lie, shadiness, in one or more "official" government or societal structure and therefore can't or won't trust any of them.   They share FB memes and "articles" that already confirm their own biases like the Gospel and don't check the factual evidence behind these memes.  Of course, they say, "who's checking the fact checkers"?....I do see their point.   

Yet they trust some mythical guy that lives in the sky that supposedly created our planet......

Do they also trust the Easter Bunny, Santa and  the Tooth Fairy ?

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

No difference, my ass.

Dear god this is hilarious. If I came from outer space and scanned this post with my laser I would assume the conservatives have been in power for the last 8 years not these liberals you speak of who are fixing to revolt.

All of your wishes came true 8 years ago. Even without a majority you have the NDP to push your left wing agenda. You use fear of what could happen with a CPC majority as proof hahaha. This is just a huge turd of a post. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, TheBearded1 said:

1.  Support Trump

2.  Anit Vax (Plandemic)

7. etc. etc. etc.

And the flip side of this is the left who

1. blame capitalism for looting. 
2. they trust the government with their money more than themselves 

3. They blame homelessness on capitalism (with left wing policies in place) 

4.They hate anyone that makes money. 
5. they blame capitalism for people not making enough money because wages aren’t increasing enough due to inflation when there is a labour shortage that’s increasing wages and increasing inflation. 
6. they use the fear of what will happen with right wing policies in place when it’s impossible for a right wing party in Canada to have full control of the government due to 2 left wing parties out numbering the one right wing party. 
7. they use hate and stereotyping as a major talking point while implying that anyone who votes for a right wing government thinks the moon landing was fake and the earth is flat. (See the post I’m quoting)

8. They have no proof in any measurable metric that can show any type of increase in quality of life in lower income families from an increase in social spending. 
9. They don’t believe in any type of accountability. Performance of their government is ignored and the promises they make are celebrated without execution. 

Edited by LaBamba
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Boudria said:

While I do despise JT I don't hold him responsible for Hunka being in the House. That said I thought another opportunity was lost by all political parties and the media to explore and inform people about WW 2 and the post war period. I see an article in this morning's GM which makes an effort. Wikipedia has good info.

Yaroslav Hunka joined the Waffen SS Galicia unit in 1943 at 18 years old. He says many in his school class did as well. People should realize that as a Slav he was considered a sub class by the German's. Suggestions that Hunka was a nazi have to be questioned. Why did he join? When the Germans invaded Russia in 1941 many Ukrainians viewed them as liberators. Ukraine had formed a fledgling national government as a result of the horrific mass murders that Stalin had visited their country. Many Ukrainians viewed fighting for the Germans as a desperate hope to create some kind of Ukrainian entity. 

The geopolitics of eastern Europe in the '30's and 40's are worth investigating. Andrey Vaslov's Russian Liberation Army was formed to fight with the German's against Stalin. This force formed 113 battalions which were under the German Wehrmacht Army command. Estimates are 300,000 to 1,000,000 men served. In the Battle of Stalingrad it is estimated that 25% of the German troops in the German 6th Army were Russians. The German's never really trusted these troops. By war's end many of the Russian and Ukrainian units switched sides. If possible they tried to surrender to western Allies. This is what Hunka did. Many western troops like the Americans sympathized with these soldiers and let them disappear into the chaos of post war Europe. It should also be remembered that a considerable number in the West thought war with Russia was inevitable. Many of these soldiers were repatriated to Russia and were either executed or sent to labor camps. Vlasov was hung by the Russian's in 1946. He was a general in the Red Army before he switched sides. He saw Stalin for what he was. Putin is of the same ilk in my opinion. 

So what happened in Ottawa last week continues what is common in public discourse in Canada. The 30 second sound bite surpasses for enlightenment. The less people have to actually think the better. 

Great post B....and great to see you here....🙌

I'm curious as to why you dropped the "s" from you CDC username though...

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

4.They hate anyone that makes money. 

Interesting that you said that. I'm not right wing but have made enough bread and balony bundles to tuck away.(RTJ) .That said,  I do believe wealth hoarders are the worst thing for our world. I'm taking real money, the billionaires.

I know you rep thetraditional way of looking at the political spectrum but...

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/politics-in-canada-the-rich-equally-on-right-and-left-but-overall-most-people-in-centre

“People have a tendency to think that wealthier people are more to the right — but not in Canada,”

• Thanks 2