Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Oh ffs.

Someone walk me through the methodology behind this bullshit math.  Alberta and Sask have the lowest taxes already yet they'll somehow save the most?

image.thumb.png.335469cf74070522b01a44efa702daba.png

Well let's be honest, people flee those two provinces en masse during the summer months to places more hospitable, so it tracks. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup.  Just like I voted for Trudeau in 2015 with a hope and a prayer.  Had no clue what was going to happen then either as he had no track record...

Sure you did.

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Also, everything that was voted on during the pandemic was voted on unanimously, Liberals, Conservatives and the NDP...

Excellent.  We have this in writing.  You can't whine about the actions taken or the debt due to covid without admitting that it was not the fault of Trudeau but ALL parties.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Sure you did.

I not only voted for Trudeau in 2015, I also voted for Chrétien 3 times and Paul Martin twice. I switched to Conservatives in 2008 because I didn’t like the direction the Liberal party was going in.  Stephane Dion and Michael Ignatieff didn’t really do much for me.  Most people felt the same way as the NDP became the official opposition in 2011.

Trudeau came along and I thought things would get much better just like a lot of other people. Which is why Trudeau won in a landslide in 2015 even though he didn’t have much experience as a politician. It was his father’s name that helped him get elected.

Even Trudeau himself admitted this:

Trudeau was re-elected in Papineau in the 2011 federal election, as the Liberal Party fell to third-party standing in the House of Commons with only thirty-four seats. Ignatieff resigned as party leader immediately after the election, and rumours again circulated that Trudeau could run to become his successor. On this occasion, Trudeau said, "I don't feel I should be closing off any options ... because of the history packaged into my name, a lot of people are turning to me in a way that ... to be blunt, concerns me."[1

The Liberals couldn’t hold on to their majority anymore in 2019 and I also switched to Conservatives again.  I won’t vote for the Liberals again until they get new leadership that I agree with.

How about you?  What is your past voting record?  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Excellent.  We have this in writing.  You can't whine about the actions taken or the debt due to covid without admitting that it was not the fault of Trudeau but ALL parties.

The debt and the lack of balanced budgets was a concern well before the pandemic. Which is why the Liberals only got a minority government in 2019 after winning in a landslide in 2015. People were already figuring Trudeau out well before the pandemic. 

14 hours ago, Bob Long said:

So you are saying you are literally voting for something that you have no idea what it will be like? Just voting into the void?

As opposed to voting the current group of lunatics who have already proved they have no idea of what their doing.

16 minutes ago, bolt said:

As opposed to voting the current group of lunatics who have already proved they have no idea of what their doing.

Isn’t Poo Poo saying a Conservative government with him as PM would repeal the current ban on buying handguns? Just that stupid idea on his part is enough to not vote for any Conservative in a federal election. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t Poo Poo saying a Conservative government with him as PM would repeal the current ban on buying handguns? Just that stupid idea on his part is enough to not vote for any Conservative in a federal election. 

Pee Pee to Poo Poo.  I thought you were 70+ years old and not 12.

Edited by bolt
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

Pee Pee to Poo Poo.  I thought you were 70+ years old and not 12.

Why does any Canadian, unless it’s for their job, need a hand gun? Pretty Boy and his Liberals enacted a good law. No one should vote for a party that wants to make our streets more dangerous. 

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pee Pee, Poo Poo.

Jeez man you have to be more mature.  You can't refer to our elected officials like that.  Like sock boy.  hair boy.  Castro Jr.  Truedope.  Those are all totally fair game, but pee pee or poo poo.  That's a step too far.  What next?  Flags on your car saying how you want to sex him?  

Come on man

😉

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Pee Pee, Poo Poo.

Jeez man you have to be more mature.  You can't refer to our elected officials like that.  Like sock boy.  hair boy.  Castro Jr.  Truedope.  Those are all totally fair game, but pee pee or poo poo.  That's a step too far.  What next?  Flags on your car saying how you want to sex him?  

Come on man

😉

Old Alf is a Conservative by nature, so that includes being part moran. 🙃

1 hour ago, bolt said:

but see, you can't actually justify this position with facts. 

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why does any Canadian, unless it’s for their job, need a hand gun? Pretty Boy and his Liberals enacted a good law. No one should vote for a party that wants to make our streets more dangerous. 

You do realize legal gun owners are not the ones going around shooting people on the streets right?  Stats show they commit less crime than ordinary citizens.  Therefore reversing Trudeau's gun laws would have absolutely no effect on public safety. 

It would however save taxpayers over a billion dollars with "buybacks".  But he doesn't think about the cost when there's votes to gain from under informed Canadians on gun laws

1 minute ago, Spring Salmon said:

You do realize legal gun owners are not the ones going around shooting people on the streets right? 

this trope again. You only want to follow the law as it suits you, if you don't like a registry e.g., you complain. You don't get to pick and choose which laws you want to follow. You're law abiding, or you're not. 

Stats show they commit less crime than ordinary citizens. 

other than the shooting people crimes, sure. 

Therefore reversing Trudeau's gun laws would have absolutely no effect on public safety. 

It would however save taxpayers over a billion dollars with "buybacks".  But he doesn't think about the cost when there's votes to gain from under informed Canadians on gun laws

I want to drive a tank down Georgia St. Wah me, tyranny won't let me. 

• Like 1

You do realize legal gun owners are not the ones going around shooting people on the streets right?  Stats show they commit less crime than ordinary citizens.  Therefore reversing Trudeau's gun laws would have absolutely no effect on public safety. 

Nope. It’s dangerous selling handguns to people who don’t need them for their job. We have a good law in place now.  No one should vote for any party that would repeal it. 
We don’t need more handguns. We need NO handguns. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

this trope again. You only want to follow the law as it suits you, if you don't like a registry e.g., you complain. You don't get to pick and choose which laws you want to follow. You're law abiding, or you're not. 

other than the shooting people crimes, sure. 

I want to drive a tank down Georgia St. Wah me, tyranny won't let me. 

This is possibly your dumbest post yet.  No where in that rant you made any sense.  Legal firearm owners are not the ones shooting people out there.  That's just how it is.   Those are gang members with guns smuggled from the states.  Tanks???   You really have no clue what you're talking about 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nope. It’s dangerous selling handguns to people who don’t need them for their job. We have a good law in place now.  No one should vote for any party that would repeal it. 
We don’t need more handguns. We need NO handguns. 

Stupid gun laws won't make you safer

19 hours ago, Gurn said:

^ Perhaps this 'savings' is just based on the federal tax, and provincial taxes are higher in other provinces.

But I too would like to see how they came up with the numbers. Actually I'd like to see how the Conservative party comes up with any of their numbers.

• Haha 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Are you suggesting we’re aren’t safe? 

No I'm suggesting attacking legal firearm owners with moronic laws won't make the public any safer.  Not even the slightest difference 

Just now, Spring Salmon said:

No I'm suggesting attacking legal firearm owners with moronic laws won't make the public any safer.  Not even the slightest difference 

So having more handguns is smart? 

Stupid gun laws won't make you safer

I'm not asking for any stupid gun laws.  Just smart ones.

I do not want to see what he have in place now diminished in the quest for American style 'freedoms'.   Lot's of people die in domestic disputes involving handguns and from kids playing with inadequately stored weapons down there.

The last thing Canada needs is more  handguns.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

So having more handguns is smart? 

If someone is vetted by the police to possess firearms they could have as many as they want as far as I'm concerned.   I'm not the kind of person to worry about what my neighbor has.   Stats show they are not the ones commiting violent crimes with guns.  I've never once worried if a legal gun owners was going to shoot me.  Gang members with ILLEGAL handguns are the ones shooting eachother.  It's not hard to understand 

11 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

This is possibly your dumbest post yet.  No where in that rant you made any sense.  Legal firearm owners are not the ones shooting people out there.

So there's no murders with legal guns in Canada? 

11 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

That's just how it is.   Those are gang members with guns smuggled from the states.  Tanks???   You really have no clue what you're talking about 

Just follow the law and quit whining. You don't need a handgun or many kinds of rifles.

8 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

This is possibly your dumbest post yet.  No where in that rant you made any sense.  Legal firearm owners are not the ones shooting people out there.  That's just how it is.   Those are gang members with guns smuggled from the states.  Tanks???   You really have no clue what you're talking about 

Almost every single illegal firearm in Canada started out its existence as a legal firearm. 

No one is 'attacking' gun owners. There are simply some weapons, like the over the top reference to wanting to own an operational tank, that no one needs as a tool in Canada, and stopping them from being in the possession of people in a legal fashion will prevent them from being stolen or sold over the next 50 to 100 years and thus prevent future illegal weapons. It isn't that hard a concept to grasp. Any formerly legal weapons that have been made illegal, for good reason, are not being confiscated without financial compensation, and the owner is free to then go purchase a legal rifle with their reimbursement for the now illegal weapons. 

There is no argument for wanting to own an assault rifle unless you wish to assault. Canadians overwhelmingly do not want assault weapons in the hands of random folks. 

Again it isn't that hard a concept and not a hill one would like to die on, to borrow a phrase.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1