Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Spring Salmon said:

If someone is vetted by the police to possess firearms they could have as many as they want as far as I'm concerned.   I'm not the kind of person to worry about what my neighbor has.   Stats show they are not the ones commiting violent crimes with guns.  I've never once worried if a legal gun owners was going to shoot me.  Gang members with ILLEGAL handguns are the ones shooting eachother.  It's not hard to understand 

And where do you think these “illegal” handguns come from? 

Just now, Optimist Prime said:

Almost every single illegal firearm in Canada started out its existence as a legal firearm. 

No one is 'attacking' gun owners. There are simply some weapons, like the over the top reference to wanting to own an operational tank, that no one needs as a tool in Canada, and stopping them from being in the possession of people in a legal fashion will prevent them from being stolen or sold over the next 50 to 100 years and thus prevent future illegal weapons. It isn't that hard a concept to grasp. Any formerly legal weapons that have been made illegal, for good reason, are not being confiscated without financial compensation, and the owner is free to then go purchase a legal rifle with their reimbursement for the now illegal weapons. 

There is no argument for wanting to own an assault rifle unless you wish to assault. Canadians overwhelmingly do not want assault weapons in the hands of random folks. 

Again it isn't that hard a concept and not a hill one would like to die on, to borrow a phrase.

I really want that tank tho. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I'm not asking for any stupid gun laws.  Just smart ones.

I do not want to see what he have in place now diminished in the quest for American style 'freedoms'.   Lot's of people die in domestic disputes involving handguns and from kids playing with inadequately stored weapons down there.

The last thing Canada needs is more  handguns.

When is the last time a kid has died from an improperly stored legal handgun in Canada?   I honestly don't know I've never heard of it.   Do you know how many ar-15s have been used in killings in Canada?   I do know the answer to that one it's ZERO.  But quick better ban them for some votes

If someone is vetted by the police to possess firearms they could have as many as they want as far as I'm concerned.   I'm not the kind of person to worry about what my neighbor has.   Stats show they are not the ones commiting violent crimes with guns.  I've never once worried if a legal gun owners was going to shoot me.  Gang members with ILLEGAL handguns are the ones shooting eachother.  It's not hard to understand 

Gang members don't seem to be much concerned about gun laws.  I think how best to deal with gangs and guns would be another conversation.

also: legal becomes illegal the moment it is used for murder, kind of hard to declare, incorrectly, that no murders have used legal weapons.. When the first thing I thought of when reading that above was the FOur RCMP officers in the prairies.. The murderers asshole buddy gave him a long gun loaded and wiped it down for prints first... you can't make this stuff up... the right wing will simply lie for the desired result of having us believe that no legal gun has ever been used in a murder. Kick rocks. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayerthorpe_tragedy

Roszko was armed with a Beretta hand-gun, and asked for a Winchester rifle that he knew that Hennessey had been given by Hennessey's grandfather. Hennessey got the rifle, chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum, along with ammunition. He wiped it down. Cheeseman got a pillow case and some gloves. He put on the gloves, then put the rifle in the pillowcase and gave it to Roszko. It was clear to all there that Roszko was enraged at the police.[9] He said he was going to go back to his farm to burn down the quonset, with the evidence of the chop shop and grow op. He had decided to hide the truck at his aunt's home, and asked Hennessey and Cheeseman to follow him there, then drive him to his own farm. They agreed to do so.[9] His aunt's house was 38.5 km from Roszko's own farm.[10]

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

When is the last time a kid has died from an improperly stored legal handgun in Canada?   I honestly don't know I've never heard of it.   Do you know how many ar-15s have been used in killings in Canada?   I do know the answer to that one it's ZERO.  But quick better ban them for some votes

It is really just this easy to look up and see you don't know what you are talking about.

This is a copy and paste of 'fully automatic firearm' murders in Canada, the catagory that includes AR15's. the columns are 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. 

In five years there were 18 homicides in Canada using such weapons.But you do you.

Fully automatic firearm7, 8 2 6 6 2 2

2 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

I don't know but I'm looking up our statistics on another tab.  Stay tuned.

I mentioned America as an example of a place where horrible things can happen as a result of having so many gun owners.   We are unlikely to match them but it's not a stretch to imagine that if we had more guns we would have more incidents of gun violence and 'accidents'.

14 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Gang members don't seem to be much concerned about gun laws.  I think how best to deal with gangs and guns would be another conversation.

Then we should be doing more at the border. Where most of them come from.

The U.S. is the largest source of illegal handguns in Canada, according to the Department of Justice Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/features/the-path-of-a-gun#:~:text=The U.S. is the largest,the Department of Justice Canada.

• Upvote 1

another interesting hit on the AR15 and similarly styled weapons.

Favourite weapon of mass shooters

In the United States, the AR-15 has been employed by shooters in some of the country’s most infamous mass murders.

Some gun advocates claim the gun has never been used in Canadian criminal activity. That’s inaccurate.

In 1982, Saskatoon police shot 18-year-old hostage-taker Richard Landrie after a lengthy standoff. Landrie was dressed in battle fatigues and armed with an AR-15. He fired 50 rounds during the standoff, shooting off one of his hostage’s fingers.

Media reports also indicate that AR-15s have been seized in several drug raids, taken from alleged bank robbers in British Columbia, involved in a 2009 murder and employed in the 2004 drive-by shooting of Louise Russo in suburban Toronto as she waited in line to buy a sandwich for her daughter.

Other shooters have used similar semi-automatic guns to kill multiple victims.

Most notoriously, the Montreal massacre shooter used a semi-automatic Ruger Mini-14 when he murdered 14 women in 1989.

https://rsc-src.ca/en/node/4117

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Almost every single illegal firearm in Canada started out its existence as a legal firearm. 

No one is 'attacking' gun owners. There are simply some weapons, like the over the top reference to wanting to own an operational tank, that no one needs as a tool in Canada, and stopping them from being in the possession of people in a legal fashion will prevent them from being stolen or sold over the next 50 to 100 years and thus prevent future illegal weapons. It isn't that hard a concept to grasp. Any formerly legal weapons that have been made illegal, for good reason, are not being confiscated without financial compensation, and the owner is free to then go purchase a legal rifle with their reimbursement for the now illegal weapons. 

There is no argument for wanting to own an assault rifle unless you wish to assault. Canadians overwhelmingly do not want assault weapons in the hands of random folks. 

Again it isn't that hard a concept and not a hill one would like to die on, to borrow a phrase.

No offense man but you really don't know what you're talking about.  Almost all guns used in crime started out legal.....  In the USA.  So that means as soon as they were smuggled across the border they became illegal.  I don't know what you guys think legal gun owners can just buy them and sell them to whoever or they just keep them lying around the house for someone to steal.  There are storage laws that need to be followed and locked up accordingly.  The worst thing for a legal owner to do would be trying to explain to the police where his handgun went.  Certain rifles are being banned purely on cosmetic appearance (you know looks too scary)

Just so you know "assault weapons" were banned in Canada in 1977 so you don't have to worry there.  Calling a AR-15 or some .22 variant a assault rifle would be like painting a racing stripe on a Prius and calling it a Indy car.  It's just unfortunate that the government and media can mislead Canadians about firearms so much for easy votes

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Then we should be doing more at the border. Where most of them come from.

The U.S. is the largest source of illegal handguns in Canada, according to the Department of Justice Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/features/the-path-of-a-gun#:~:text=The U.S. is the largest,the Department of Justice Canada.

agreed.

16 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Saskatchewan has more gun violence (per capita) than any other province and it’s getting worse. That province also has more guns per capita than any other province. Legally purchased hand guns become illegal ones. 
https://regina.ctvnews.ca/sask-reported-highest-in-nation-for-violent-related-crimes-statistics-canada-1.6749372#:~:text=Atlantic-,Sask. reported highest in nation,violent-related crimes%3A Statistics Canada&text=A new report out from,calculated at per 100%2C000 people.

• ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

It is really just this easy to look up and see you don't know what you are talking about.

This is a copy and paste of 'fully automatic firearm' murders in Canada, the catagory that includes AR15's. the columns are 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. 

In five years there were 18 homicides in Canada using such weapons.But you do you.

How many were legal?

I cannot lie. As a gun owner, every time I hear people defend gun laws; it makes me shake my head and cringe. 

98% of all gun laws passed in Canada in the last 20 years, affect me not at all. So I have to store my guns a little bit more securely? Oh no! 

People need to stop utilizing this as some sort of overreach or loss of freedoms. Because unless you own guns to simply own guns, which honestly is incredibly stupid; then almost every gun law passed in Canada will not or ever apply to you as a sensible gun owner for sport and hunting.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

No offense man but you really don't know what you're talking about. 

How many were legal?

Why ask me? I don't have a clue what I am talking about. Good day.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Explain why you have a right to own one.

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

Why ask me? I don't have a clue what I am talking about. Good day.

You posted a chart with fully automatic weapons.   Fully automatic weapons have been illegal since 1977.  So?

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I cannot lie. As a gun owner, every time I hear people defend gun laws; it makes me shake my head and cringe. 

98% of all gun laws passed in Canada in the last 20 years, affect me not at all. So I have to store my guns a little bit more securely? Oh no! 

People need to stop utilizing this as some sort of overreach or loss of freedoms. Because unless you own guns to simply own guns, which honestly is incredibly stupid; then almost every gun law passed in Canada will not or ever apply to you as a sensible gun owner for sport and hunting.

I have operated nearly 50 different projectile weapons in my life, and while I currently do not own any, I am looking at picking up an awesome Tikka similar to the Canadian Rangers rifle. It is a great and versatile tool for rural use. My family operates over 400 acres of farms on Vancouver Island and these kinds of tools are important, albeit rarely used part of rural life. I have bow-hunted mostly, but also taken a rifle for walks in the woods looking for game. Any laws that make the use of these tools more safe are laws I agree with. I am also 100% in favour of restricting the size of the magazine, the rate of fire, and the ability to create mass casualties. I am pretty sure most gun owners agree with us. 

New Canadian Rangers Rifle Civilian Version Tikka T3 Compact Tactical Rifle

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But what if I think assault rifles just look too cool to resist? Once the government impinges on my fashion sense all is lost.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Well if you were a sport shooter and they "freeze" handgun sales it would affect you but I guess it doesn't so who cares right 

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

But what if I think assault rifles just look too cool to resist? Once the government impinges on my fashion sense all is lost.

So you agree with banning guns purely on looks?   I feel safer already 

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I have operated nearly 50 different projectile weapons in my life, and while I currently do not own any, I am looking at picking up an awesome Tikka similar to the Canadian Rangers rifle. It is a great and versatile tool for rural use. My family operates over 400 acres of farms on Vancouver Island and these kinds of tools are important, albeit rarely used part of rural life. I have bow-hunted mostly, but also taken a rifle for walks in the woods looking for game. Any laws that make the use of these tools more safe are laws I agree with. I am also 100% in favour of restricting the size of the magazine, the rate of fire, and the ability to create mass casualties. I am pretty sure most gun owners agree with us. 

New Canadian Rangers Rifle Civilian Version Tikka T3 Compact Tactical Rifle

Canada already had some of the strictest gun laws in the world.  There was no reason to change any of them. Purely for votes