Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Spring Salmon said:

Trudeau waited until the nova Scotia shooting to enact bill c21. The shooter was not allowed to possess firearms legally and they were smuggled from the states. So why did he ban AR-15s when they had absolutely nothing to do with it? 

He immediately pounced on this tragedy with new laws that wouldn't have done shit just to make it look like he was doing something productive.  It was right before the 21 election if I remember correctly.  Now the buyback amnesty is extended to Oct 25 another election.  Coincidence eh

Notice how I said "in an ideal world" in brackets there. I'm not here to defend Trudeau. Trudeau might have gone too far with things. I have yet to really decide on that as I haven't really looked into things too much to be honest.

But make no mistake that a lot of Liberal and farther left voters do want stricter gun policies. It's not going to matter if it's Trudeau or not. Whenever Liberals get into power, stricter gun laws happen.

Yes he is a moron but free speech is better than freedom of expression

maybe, that would be an interesting argument to have. But the fool didn't even know that he was quoting US law. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Yes he is a moron but free speech is better than freedom of expression

You do realise freedom of expression IS freedom of speech along with the right to hear, right?

I guess that can be a debate for another time though. That sounds like a rabbit hole. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

. I have yet to really decide on that as I haven't really looked into things too much to be honest.

You should probably do that.  A lot of guns on that list were hunting rifles

1 minute ago, Spring Salmon said:

They are not the same.  Free speech is absolute free speech

No, free speech in the US is NOT absolute free speech.   Look it up and get back to us.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

You should probably do that.  A lot of guns on that list were hunting rifles

I don't doubt it. I hope you do realise at least I'm not coming at you from the opposite side. I'm honestly stuck in the middle between both parties with my ideals. It sucks. I hate both sides. lol

21 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Not sure why I did - because I have wasted too much time on this already - but I had another glance at the linked document before closing the tab.

While the document begins with a Cheliak quote, and then describes things he 'extolled',  by the time it gets to closing with the lines we are fussing about they can't be attributed to anybody in particular.   That might explain why I could find no proof of Cheliak actually saying them.   They seem only to exist in a document produced by the NFA, which leads me to believe they were written by the NFA and not stated by the RCMP. 

https://nfa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/RCMP-ATI-Licensed-Gun-Owner-Crime-Statistics.pdf

I don't know what to tell you then. Believe it or not that's your choice. I've heard of him a few times over the years

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't doubt it. I hope you do realise at least I'm not coming at you from the opposite side. I'm honestly stuck in the middle between both parties with my ideals. It sucks. I hate both sides. lol

You have a lot of company in that regard.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I hear you. Honestly look further into it. It's pretty greasy 

Honestly he banned a coffee company on that list.  Black rifle coffee 😂 😂 😂 

Edited by Spring Salmon
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

They are not the same.  Free speech is absolute free speech

You don't want absolute free speech dude.

Imagine if someone wrote a defamation paper about you. Normally, you'd be able to sue them right? If absolute free speech were implemented, you wouldn't be able to. Someone, anyone, could just cripple your life.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

I don't know what to tell you then. Believe it or not that's your choice. I've heard of him a few times over the years

To paraphrase what I recently said to Petey - you can always trust everything you hear.

Do me a favor and re-read that stuff.   Let me know if you can say with 100% certainty that those last lines were an RCMP quote or just an addon to some RCMP quotes.  All the quotes were attributed; those lines were not.

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Legalized hate speech is not a positive thing.

While I agree with you about that, it's not that simple.  The Lock is right it's a big rabbit hole.  The problem will always be where to draw the line and who decides.  For instance you constantly throw that word around with PP and I have never once agreed with you.

What we should agree on is this new online harms bill has gone too far.   Imprisoning people for life for words and being able to give people house arrest, not for a crime they did, but what they might or could possibly do in the future is nuts. 

Even far left Andrew Coyne thinks it's too far

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-canadas-online-harms-act-is-revealing-itself-to-be-staggeringly/

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Spring Salmon said:

I'm not here saying guns are more important than shoes but there really needs to be less people deciding what you need

Welcome to living in a society. "We" get to decide laws around activities that could endanger other people. You're no more entitled to guns than you are to drive drunk or build cars without seatbelts.

Look I have many hobbies but enacting gun laws for easy votes is BS. That's all my point is. The liberals know that most gun owners vote conservative and most liberals don't like guns so it's an easy choice for them.  It's unfortunate more people don't see that

It's "easy votes" because THAT'S WHAT MOST PEOPLE WANT. Nobody is "tricking" us for votes.

Trudeau waited until the nova Scotia shooting to enact bill c21. The shooter was not allowed to possess firearms legally and they were smuggled from the states. So why did he ban AR-15s when they had absolutely nothing to do with it? 

He immediately pounced on this tragedy with new laws that wouldn't have done shit just to make it look like he was doing something productive.  It was right before the 21 election if I remember correctly.  Now the buyback amnesty is extended to Oct 25 another election.  Coincidence eh

"Trudeau" didn't likely do much of anything other than be the sitting PM while a likely committee of MP'S, listened to and read a metric butt tonne of information from experts, read countless reports and deliberated on what to do. It's simply not how our government functions.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

While I agree with you about that, it's not that simple.  The Lock is right it's a big rabbit hole.  The problem will always be where to draw the line and who decides.  For instance you constantly throw that word around with PP and I have never once agreed with you.

What we should agree on is this new online harms bill has gone too far.   Imprisoning people for life for words and being able to give people house arrest, not for a crime they did, but what they might or could possibly do in the future is nuts. 

Even far left Andrew Coyne thinks it's too far

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-canadas-online-harms-act-is-revealing-itself-to-be-staggeringly/

So just so people realize what you're talking about, this is a bill in it's first reading. It's a long way before this becomes a law and it will be debated and amended.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Welcome to living in a society. "We" get to decide laws around activities that could endanger other people. You're no more entitled to guns than you are to drive drunk or build cars without seatbelts.

It's "easy votes" because THAT'S WHAT MOST PEOPLE WANT. Nobody is "tricking" us for votes.

"Trudeau" didn't likely do much of anything other than be the sitting PM while a likely committee of MP'S, listened to and read a metric butt tonne of information from experts, read countless reports and deliberated on what to do. It's simply not how our government functions.

When "we" decide to vote in the conservatives and they reverse all the liberals gun laws then that's just living a society.  And if you think that they listened to a butt tonne of "experts" then I'm afraid we are too far off to ever agree

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So just so people realize what you're talking about, this is a bill in it's first reading. It's a long way before this becomes a law and it will be debated and amended.

What people should realize is how far this government will go to trample on our rights.  That is not a bill that should have ever have come out at all.  Good thing the conservatives will scrap it

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

What people should realize is how far this government will go to trample on our rights.  That is not a bill that should have ever have come out at all.  Good thing the conservatives will scrap it

Which ones and how?