Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

this. Not a political situation: this is a national security issue and the Five leaders with a seat in Parliament need to work with enforcement to solve this, not work with voters to blame each other. 

curious, what has Skippy said so far?

4 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Most Canadians have heard of the Fraser Institute, the British Columbia-based think tank. Its reports and studies are often covered in the mainstream media as independent and objective.

But the truth is that the Fraser Institute exists to promote rightwing ideology. It was created and is funded by big corporate interests who sought to change government policy to enrich themselves.

Here are 7 facts about the Fraser Institute that they don’t want you to know:

1. The Fraser Institute’s research wing was created with money from tobacco companies. The Institute’s “Social Affairs Centre”, set up to promote “free-market” policies on tobacco, guns, and drug use was funded by tobacco giants Rothman’s and Phillip Morris. In 1999, the Fraser Institute wrote letters to British American Tobacco begging for more funding, highlighting reports they had done to discredit science around the harms of second-hand smoke.
  2. The Fraser Institute was a leading opponent of anti-smoking laws, and promoted junk science that denied the harmful effects of second-hand smoke. The Institute, funded by Big Tobacco, produced numerous “studies” that attempted to discredit scientific research on smoking. In particular, the Institute worked to undermine public perception of second-hand smoke. While proven to be harmful, the Institute published numerous reports claiming that second-hand smoke was safe.
  3. The Fraser Institute has taken over one million dollars (at least) from the Koch Brothers. The billionaire Koch brothers are known to Canadians as the Republican donors who bankrolled the Tea Party and other far-right American groups. But they also have their tentacles in Canada, and the Fraser Institute is one of their servants, receiving at least one million dollars of Koch money. In 2012 the Vancouver Observer reported that “according to U.S. tax documents, The Fraser Institute received $150,000 from the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation in 2008, $175,500 in 2009, and another $150,000 in 2010. The grants were purportedly for “research support” and “educational programs”.
  4. The Fraser Institute takes millions of dollars in dark money from foreign organizations. Beyond the Koch Brothers, the Fraser Institute has a large network of rightwing American funders. Over the years, they have accepted millions of dollars from these sources. While the Institute no longer reveals their large donors, external documents show that they have taken more than $2.6 million from rightwing groups and corporations.
  5. The Fraser Institute has taken hundreds of thousands of dollars from Big Oil. One of the Fraser Institute’s benefactors has been oil giant ExxonMobil. Exxon has given the Fraser Institute at least $120,000. Apparently it’s money well-spent. The Institute is one of the leading Canadian voices of climate change denial. They have published multiple documents denying climate change, including one which put their position clearly: “There is no clear evidence, nor unique attribution, of the global effects of anthropogenic CO2 on climate.”
  6. The Fraser Institute supports huge tax cuts for the 1% and corporations, but opposes a higher minimum wage for workers. One of the Fraser Institute’s biggest issues is the minimum wage. They hate it. But at the same time, they support measures that would greatly increase income for the very rich. For example, the Institute supports reducing or abolishing the corporate tax (taxes corporations pay) and the capital gains tax (taxes that people pay when they get capital income, like when CEOs cash in stock options). Both of these changes would massively benefit the rich. But when it comes to working people, the Fraser Institute opposes policies to increase wages by even a few bucks.
  7. The Fraser Institute attempts to indoctrinate elementary and high school students. Every year the Fraser Institute runs an essay contest which directs primary and secondary school students to submit an essay on a policy topic. Some school boards even promote the contest in classrooms. The Institute strongly suggests that winning submissions conform to rightwing ideology. For example, this year’s contest asked students to explain why the minimum wage was a “misguided” idea and suggested students consult a video called “Minimum wage hikes in Canada: Bad idea” to understand the issue.

In spite of all this, the mainstream media still treats the Fraser Institute as an objective, independent source.

And they have maintained their charitable tax status, which means the huge donations the Institute accepts from rightwing billionaires are tax deductible.

The Fraser Institute is not a charity. It’s not an independent think tank. It’s a rightwing propaganda outfit propped up by billionaires and corporations.

now do the Broadbent Institute. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

most haven't. 

I had but I'd forgotten about them. Don't think they have anyway near the clout and 'esteem' of the Fraser Institute though.

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I had but I'd forgotten about them. Don't think they have anyway near the clout and 'esteem' of the Fraser Institute though.

I just think the shooting down of anything one source says is kind of lame. Just read the white papers for what they are, figure out whats facts or not. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I just think the shooting down of anything one source says is kind of lame. Just read the white papers for what they are, figure out whats facts or not. 

I agree about just reading the white papers (but you know how conversations can turn as one comment leads to another). 

35 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Most Canadians have heard of the Fraser Institute, the British Columbia-based think tank. Its reports and studies are often covered in the mainstream media as independent and objective.

But the truth is that the Fraser Institute exists to promote rightwing ideology. It was created and is funded by big corporate interests who sought to change government policy to enrich themselves.

Here are 7 facts about the Fraser Institute that they don’t want you to know:

1. The Fraser Institute’s research wing was created with money from tobacco companies. The Institute’s “Social Affairs Centre”, set up to promote “free-market” policies on tobacco, guns, and drug use was funded by tobacco giants Rothman’s and Phillip Morris. In 1999, the Fraser Institute wrote letters to British American Tobacco begging for more funding, highlighting reports they had done to discredit science around the harms of second-hand smoke.
  2. The Fraser Institute was a leading opponent of anti-smoking laws, and promoted junk science that denied the harmful effects of second-hand smoke. The Institute, funded by Big Tobacco, produced numerous “studies” that attempted to discredit scientific research on smoking. In particular, the Institute worked to undermine public perception of second-hand smoke. While proven to be harmful, the Institute published numerous reports claiming that second-hand smoke was safe.
  3. The Fraser Institute has taken over one million dollars (at least) from the Koch Brothers. The billionaire Koch brothers are known to Canadians as the Republican donors who bankrolled the Tea Party and other far-right American groups. But they also have their tentacles in Canada, and the Fraser Institute is one of their servants, receiving at least one million dollars of Koch money. In 2012 the Vancouver Observer reported that “according to U.S. tax documents, The Fraser Institute received $150,000 from the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation in 2008, $175,500 in 2009, and another $150,000 in 2010. The grants were purportedly for “research support” and “educational programs”.
  4. The Fraser Institute takes millions of dollars in dark money from foreign organizations. Beyond the Koch Brothers, the Fraser Institute has a large network of rightwing American funders. Over the years, they have accepted millions of dollars from these sources. While the Institute no longer reveals their large donors, external documents show that they have taken more than $2.6 million from rightwing groups and corporations.
  5. The Fraser Institute has taken hundreds of thousands of dollars from Big Oil. One of the Fraser Institute’s benefactors has been oil giant ExxonMobil. Exxon has given the Fraser Institute at least $120,000. Apparently it’s money well-spent. The Institute is one of the leading Canadian voices of climate change denial. They have published multiple documents denying climate change, including one which put their position clearly: “There is no clear evidence, nor unique attribution, of the global effects of anthropogenic CO2 on climate.”
  6. The Fraser Institute supports huge tax cuts for the 1% and corporations, but opposes a higher minimum wage for workers. One of the Fraser Institute’s biggest issues is the minimum wage. They hate it. But at the same time, they support measures that would greatly increase income for the very rich. For example, the Institute supports reducing or abolishing the corporate tax (taxes corporations pay) and the capital gains tax (taxes that people pay when they get capital income, like when CEOs cash in stock options). Both of these changes would massively benefit the rich. But when it comes to working people, the Fraser Institute opposes policies to increase wages by even a few bucks.
  7. The Fraser Institute attempts to indoctrinate elementary and high school students. Every year the Fraser Institute runs an essay contest which directs primary and secondary school students to submit an essay on a policy topic. Some school boards even promote the contest in classrooms. The Institute strongly suggests that winning submissions conform to rightwing ideology. For example, this year’s contest asked students to explain why the minimum wage was a “misguided” idea and suggested students consult a video called “Minimum wage hikes in Canada: Bad idea” to understand the issue.

In spite of all this, the mainstream media still treats the Fraser Institute as an objective, independent source.

And they have maintained their charitable tax status, which means the huge donations the Institute accepts from rightwing billionaires are tax deductible.

The Fraser Institute is not a charity. It’s not an independent think tank. It’s a rightwing propaganda outfit propped up by billionaires and corporations.

Trying to discredit a source without even providing a source, nice. 

Fraser Institute’s “research is peer-reviewed and overseen by an Editorial Advisory Board of leading international scholars. The Fraser Institute promotes transparency in research – in other words, our methodology is open and clearly explained, and others can replicate our conclusions. In addition, the source of our data is always provided.”

They haven't failed a fact check in 5 years. 

They are classified as Right-Center by https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Trying to discredit a source without even providing a source, nice. 

Fraser Institute’s “research is peer-reviewed and overseen by an Editorial Advisory Board of leading international scholars. The Fraser Institute promotes transparency in research – in other words, our methodology is open and clearly explained, and others can replicate our conclusions. In addition, the source of our data is always provided.”

They haven't failed a fact check in 5 years. 

They are classified as Right-Center by https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

His paragraph had several links that at least show back up the source of the claim.

Your link claiming peer review link is broken though. Do you have the peer review?

Even the site you quoted says they are mixed due to misinformation on climate change.

So yeah will consume any Fraser Institute findings with this paradigm in mind.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fraser-institute/

• Overall, we rate Fraser Institute as strongly Right-Center biased based on policy positions that favor business and Mixed for factual reporting due to false and misleading claims regarding global warming.

Detailed Report

Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
MBFC’s Country Freedom Rating: EXCELLENT
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, DSVII said:

His paragraph had several links that at least show back up the source of the claim.

Your link claiming peer review link is broken though. Do you have the peer review?

Even the site you quoted says they are mixed due to misinformation on climate change.

So yeah will consume any Fraser Institute findings with this paradigm in mind.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fraser-institute/

• Overall, we rate Fraser Institute as strongly Right-Center biased based on policy positions that favor business and Mixed for factual reporting due to false and misleading claims regarding global warming.

Detailed Report

Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
MBFC’s Country Freedom Rating: EXCELLENT
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY

Yeah, he didn't cut and paste that part hey? Wonder why?

The first paragraph is from the fraser institute ffs.

Can't find anything on the fact check claim.

A "thinktank" funded by the rich, and powerful corporations (industries), many of them outside of Canada, and that's the source they trust? No agenda at all? For a bunch of conspiracy minded folks it's crazy to me that these guys get a pass. Follow the damn money. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

To your first para: Yeah, agreed. I tried to go out of my way to say the same thing about my thoughts i shared: Pure and total road apples. It is 100% rumour and conjecture on my part. 

I have no idea, other than the few hints in headlines about one or two conservative MP's and a liberal MP as well as one independant mp currently, from memory. 

However, I cant help but wonder why this was a headline:

Seems a bit dodgy doesn't it? I mean if i had nothing to hide I would meet with the man the Government put in charge of an enquiry into Foriegn Interference, which wouldn't stop me from voicing my concerns publicly if i thoght such an appointment was a sham.... but to refuse to meet while calling it a sham seems really more to point towards not wanting to answer questions than it is about the appointment being a sham. I mean from an openminded perspective. 

We honestly won't know till we know. I am 100% speculating and openly admit it. 

Perhaps this is why he didn't get a security clearance as well;  maybe he knew he wouldn't pass?

• ThereItIs 1

30 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Perhaps this is why he didn't get a security clearance as well;  maybe he knew he wouldn't pass?

I hadn't thought of that, perhaps. lol. Good eye.

The number of TSSA clearances I worked on or partly worked on would be maybe over a hundred? Easily Dozens and for that highest level it takes sometimes years to get it approved. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Damn. I didn't realize you are the only one allowed to post news articles. My bad

Bought and paid for by the trudeau my media only fund of course

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

No one here is hoping for treason, from any party 

oh no.  Certain people are not just hoping.  They're already making those statements and are happy about it

• ThereItIs 1