Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/video/9.6410969

Politicians maliciously working with foreign governments should be kicked out of Parliament, Singh says

Responding Tuesday to a question about intelligence watchdog reports that some MPs are helping foreign actors like China and India meddle in Canadian politics, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh called the allegations 'very serious,' suggesting those found guilty should be kicked out of Parliament.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Politicians maliciously working with foreign governments should be kicked out of Parliament, Singh says

Responding Tuesday to a question about intelligence watchdog reports that some MPs are helping foreign actors like China and India meddle in Canadian politics, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh called the allegations 'very serious,' suggesting those found guilty should be kicked out of Parliament.

sure but he's already a commie so China doesn't have to influence him 🙃

He's 100% correct, whoever was involved at the very least needs to be kicked out, and barred from holding office in any capacity (if thats possible to do).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

sure but he's already a commie so China doesn't have to influence him 🙃

He's 100% correct, whoever was involved at the very least needs to be kicked out, and barred from holding office in any capacity (if thats possible to do).

See, Bob. There in lays the problem. At the very least, these politicians should be given extended jail times. Absolutely no mercy! 25 years, with no parole. These types of

incidents should be be dealt with harshly! I know you said at least, but that means there is wiggle room. There should not be! Send a message to all parties, this will not be

tolerated, and here is what will happen if you do!

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Never mind kicked out of parliament, they should be kicked out of the country!

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

See, Bob. There in lays the problem. At the very least, these politicians should be given extended jail times. Absolutely no mercy! 25 years, with no parole. These types of

incidents should be be dealt with harshly! I know you said at least, but that means there is wiggle room. There should not be! Send a message to all parties, this will not be

tolerated, and here is what will happen if you do!

thats why I said "at the very least" - once we hear from CSIS we can bring out the gallows imo. I have no tolerance for traitors. 

Barring these folks should be the immediate response while we let the RCMP do their thing. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

thats why I said "at the very least" - once we hear from CSIS we can bring out the gallows imo. I have no tolerance for traitors. 

Barring these folks should be the immediate response while we let the RCMP do their thing. 

Has anyone actually been removed from parliament yet.....or is the government still allowing these MP's to work for these foreign bodies still?

Just now, JIAHN said:

Has anyone actually been removed from parliament yet.....or is the government still allowing these MP's to work for these foreign bodies still?

thats the question I have. I get you'd "out" these people by suspending them, but having them sit there with access to government files is a bit much. Now maybe their access has been restricted and we just don't know about it, that is possible and something I'd hope has happened.

And I don't care what party is involved, if it's all Liberals get rid of them. 

I'm curious about Skippy being unusually quiet, I wonder if there's some shenanigans with his own leadership process? He'll just blame Trudeau but it's an interesting possibility. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

^ Anyone under specific suspicion should be suspended indefinitely, immediately. Absolutely goofballs to lay back and do nothing while more harm could be done.

I find this more offensive to Canadians than just about anything any of our governments have done since I've been old enough to actually pay attention (probably 2002ish). Akin to a direct attack against everything we stand for. Lifetime sentence with no parole for any found guilty; You can't sell your country for a personal buck.

Edit: Revoking access to anything as Bob suggests could be the way to go, if outing is the concern. But they should absolutely have no influence in their position as an MP. Powers frozen.

Edited by Ralph.

Need to be careful, very, very, careful; with the 'guilty till proven innocent' angle.

Crushing our own rules and laws, because we 'think' there is a problem is not the way to go, imo.

kind of why we have courts, and judges and such.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Need to be careful, very, very, careful; with the 'guilty till proven innocent' angle.

Crushing our own rules and laws, because we 'think' there is a problem is not the way to go, imo.

kind of why we have courts, and judges and such.

it also occurs to me that every communication these folks have will be monitored by CSIS, so its possible any further damage they could do is mitigated that way. 

I'm sure at some point soon here Skippy will just use this as another anger farming opportunity once he works out the angles.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, bolt said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-abolishes-sustainable-development-technology-canada-1.7223993

Another day, another Liberal scandal.  Again no resignations or firings.  

Another day another post without reading the story.

This isn't the gotcha moment you think it is but then you don't read what you post you just want the attention

The SDTC is at arms length, the issue here lies with not enough oversight with how they were and who they were giving contracts to.  It's a lack of oversight but a scandal?  Come on

While SDTC operates at arm's length, the NRC reports directly to the minister of innovation.

"As a Government of Canada organization, the NRC is subject to rigorous and stringent oversight of its personnel and finances. This structure will help rebuild public trust while increasing accountability, transparency and integrity," Champagne said in a news release.

According to the report tabled in the House on Tuesday, the auditor general concluded that many projects overestimated their environmental impacts when they were evaluated by SDTC.

"We found that in 12 out of 18 completed projects in our sample, the projected reduction of greenhouse gas emissions were, on average, half of what was presented at the time the project proposals were assessed," the report said. 

Hogan reported that conflict of interest policies were not respected with 90 files — representing nearly $76 million in project funding — that were approved by the SDTC board of directors.

"Not managing conflicts of interest — whether real, perceived, or potential — increases the risk that an individual's duty to act in the best interests of the foundation is affected, particularly when making decisions to award funding," the report concludes.

The blame lies largely with Champagne's ministry, which did not sufficiently monitor the contribution agreements with SDTC, Hogan wrote.

In a news release, SDTC said it has already put in place a series of measures to better manage public funds and ensure compliance with conflict of interest policies.

"With respect to stewardship of public funds, SDTC has strong monitoring processes in place to ensure that every project payment — every dollar — is accounted for and has been correctly disbursed to the innovative clean tech projects and technologies that Canada needs to succeed in the new economy," said spokesperson Janemary Banigan.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

This isn't the gotcha moment you think it is but then you don't read what you post you just want the attention

While SDTC operates at arm's length, the NRC reports directly to the minister of innovation.

"As a Government of Canada organization, the NRC is subject to rigorous and stringent oversight of its personnel and finances. This structure will help rebuild public trust while increasing accountability, transparency and integrity," Champagne said in a news release.

According to the report tabled in the House on Tuesday, the auditor general concluded that many projects overestimated their environmental impacts when they were evaluated by SDTC.

"We found that in 12 out of 18 completed projects in our sample, the projected reduction of greenhouse gas emissions were, on average, half of what was presented at the time the project proposals were assessed," the report said. 

Hogan reported that conflict of interest policies were not respected with 90 files — representing nearly $76 million in project funding — that were approved by the SDTC board of directors.

"Not managing conflicts of interest — whether real, perceived, or potential — increases the risk that an individual's duty to act in the best interests of the foundation is affected, particularly when making decisions to award funding," the report concludes.

The blame lies largely with Champagne's ministry, which did not sufficiently monitor the contribution agreements with SDTC, Hogan wrote.

In a news release, SDTC said it has already put in place a series of measures to better manage public funds and ensure compliance with conflict of interest policies.

"With respect to stewardship of public funds, SDTC has strong monitoring processes in place to ensure that every project payment — every dollar — is accounted for and has been correctly disbursed to the innovative clean tech projects and technologies that Canada needs to succeed in the new economy," said spokesperson Janemary Banigan.

"According to Auditor General Karen Hogan, Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) violated its conflict of interest policies 90 times, awarded $59 million to 10 projects that were not eligible and frequently overstated the environmental benefits of its projects"

9 minutes ago, bolt said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-abolishes-sustainable-development-technology-canada-1.7223993

Another day, another Liberal scandal.  Again no resignations or firings.  Linerals are ethically bankrupt and they don't care because their followers will vote for them regardless.

The federal government is axing a $1 billion green fund in response to a report by the auditor general that pointed to "significant lapses" in its handling of federal funding.

According to Auditor General Karen Hogan, Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) violated its conflict of interest policies 90 times, awarded $59 million to 10 projects that were not eligible and frequently overstated the environmental benefits of its projects.

Created in 2001, SDTC is a federal foundation that supports small and medium-sized businesses in the clean-tech sector. It entered into a five-year, $1-billion agreement with the department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) in 2021.

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

"According to Auditor General Karen Hogan, Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) violated its conflict of interest policies 90 times, awarded $59 million to 10 projects that were not eligible and frequently overstated the environmental benefits of its projects"

Again.  Is this that difficult to understand?  it's not a scandal.  it's negligence on behalf of the ministers office.  The square peg doesn't go in the round hole no matter how many times you yell at it

SDTC operates at arm's length,

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The SDTC is at arms length, the issue here lies with not enough oversight with how they were and who they were giving contracts to.  It's a lack of oversight but a scandal?  Come on

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The federal government is axing a $1 billion green fund in response to a report by the auditor general that pointed to "significant lapses" in its handling of federal funding.

good.

Seems like the federal government responds to errors, nice to know.

also- looks like about a billion bucks can now be either spent on other things- defense, infrastructure, housing, healthcare- or used to pay a bit of the debt/deficit

Just now, Warhippy said:

Again.  Is this that difficult to understand?  it's not a scandal.  it's negligence on behalf of the ministers office.  The square peg doesn't go in the round hole no matter how many times you yell at it

You say potato, I say potaoe...

A scandal, negligence, you can call it what you want.  I call it another billion dollars wasted in taxpayers money on Trudeau's watch...

FYI, if this was the Conservative party, you wouldn't be nitpicking about semantics either.  Also, why do you keep trying to defend this Liberal government, i thought you were a small c Conservative and never voted for Trudeau?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Not a big deal because the program can be renamed and everyone can keep their job.  Don't have to investigate any incidents either.  

just the usual to a liberal voter who's used to blatant corruption.

Edited by bolt

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Do you really say potaoe Petey?   What does the Keg bring you when you order that? 😉

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You can keep posting this it won't change the fact I clearly indicated that.  Step up your game Pete

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A scandal, negligence, you can call it what you want.  I call it another billion dollars wasted in taxpayers money on Trudeau's watch...

FYI, if this was the Conservative party, you wouldn't be nitpicking about semantics either.  Also, why do you keep trying to defend this Liberal government, i thought you were a small c Conservative and never voted for Trudeau?

It's not wasted money.  A billion dollars isn't missing and hasn't been wasted.  The fund, the way it was meant to be spent will no longer exist meaning it will be rolled back in to the general budget.

I also want to again question your comprehension as I post for the 703rd time that just because someone points out a fact, does not support the opposition or does not immediately blame everything wrong in their life on the government; it does not equate to or mean it is a defense of a party or the government.

Keeping people honest is important in a day and age when they'll willingly lie to push a narrative

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ralph. said:

^ Anyone under specific suspicion should be suspended indefinitely, immediately. Absolutely goofballs to lay back and do nothing while more harm could be done.

I find this more offensive to Canadians than just about anything any of our governments have done since I've been old enough to actually pay attention (probably 2002ish). Akin to a direct attack against everything we stand for. Lifetime sentence with no parole for any found guilty; You can't sell your country for a personal buck.

Edit: Revoking access to anything as Bob suggests could be the way to go, if outing is the concern. But they should absolutely have no influence in their position as an MP. Powers frozen.

Disagree. What if the "suspicion" is wrong? By suspending them, you will have ruined their political careers and opened yourself up for a lawsuit....

Let the Feds do their thing before calling for people's heads.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1