Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lawsuits?  Who knows.  I think you could be right, they may already know who these people are and took away their "keys".  That could definitely be a possibility...

I think that's likely.  There's also the possibility that providing more information to the public at this time could compromise the investigation.  It's not inconceivable that an assassination might be attempted; India has already done so on Canadian soil.

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10543875/pbo-government-carbon-price-analysis/

Liberals/PBO messed up pretty bad on the carbon price analysis, they put a gag order on the PBO to not reveal the updated findings which makes them look even worse. They should just accept that there was a mistake and release the new findings. The problem is they have been using this report pretty heavily to justify the carbon tax increases.   

not really accurate, he was asked not to disclose an internal report, which is normal business. 

22 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

not really accurate, he was asked not to disclose an internal report, which is normal business. 

The original incorrect report was made public and they are being instructed not to share any data or reference the new analysis in any way. Not normal business.  

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The original incorrect report was made public and they are being instructed not to share any data or reference the new analysis in any way. Not normal business.  

you're mixing up reports. There's the PBO report, which the PBO messed up, and there's an internal government report as well. 

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Political normal business should be transparent. All parties need to adhere to the same rules as their employers, the Canadian Public.

I fucking hate politics.

Just now, snowman955 said:

Political normal business should be transparent. All parties need to adhere to the same rules as their employers, the Canadian Public.

I fucking hate politics.

disagree, some internal reports should not be public. Otherwise governments can't have full internal discussions on ramifications of various decisions. 

People would lose their shizz over internal debates that are a long way from decisions. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

disagree, some internal reports should not be public. Otherwise governments can't have full internal discussions on ramifications of various decisions. 

People would lose their shizz over internal debates that are a long way from decisions. 

The debates you speak of and everything else is at the tax payers expense. Employed to get things improved. Not place its employers into financial burden. 

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Agree to disagree.

I'm a believer in due process. As I said to @Ralph. if the allegations against one or more of these MPs, you've pretty much ruined their careers by suspending them.

If your career is "politician" it's not exactly a loss

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

you're mixing up reports. There's the PBO report, which the PBO messed up, and there's an internal government report as well. 

That is my mistake, it is the internal analysis they wont share. If they had their own internal analysis they should have caught the major errors in the PBO analysis pretty quickly though, instead of hammering home the findings from the flawed report that were in their favor. There should be transparency on the issue and their analysis should be shared, as this is already something that is already in effect and affects every Canadian.   

Edited by Bure_Pavel

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm not sure that anyone wrongly outed would agree.....

What, you think “accused of treason” but not charged after insufficient evidence was found could harm one’s chances of being re-elected or holding public trust again?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

What, you think “accused of treason” but not charged after insufficient evidence was found could harm one’s chances of being re-elected or holding public trust again?

Call it a hunch....

I doubt it would be all that beneficial in the personal lives either....

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Call it a hunch....

I doubt it would be all that beneficial in the personal lives either....

Feather in your cap and a requirement on your resume if you’re part of the Freedom Caucus down south though.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure.  And once they are proven innocent they need to "clear" their name, right?  What about all of the people that are "charged" with these crimes but then the Crown dismisses the charges due to a lack of evidence?  Those people still have to "clear" their name right"?

If an MP is suspended on potential TREASON and is found innocent later, it's the same as someone being charged for murder and cleared of all charges later.  I don't see a difference.  Also, do you really want an MP in the House of Commons who is suspected of TREASON and selling out our country?  I'd rather suspend them now and suffer the consequences later...

No,--- and they are not found "innocent', they are found either guilty or not guilty.

All of that happens in a court of law, not the court of public opinion.

What I want is for my country, my government, and my fellow citizens is to follow the law in these matters.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, snowman955 said:

The debates you speak of and everything else is at the tax payers expense. Employed to get things improved. Not place its employers into financial burden. 

well we do actually employ them to do that. Look at the current BC NDP, people seem quite happy with the debt they are ringing up. 

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

That is my mistake, it is the internal analysis they wont share. If they had their own internal analysis they should have caught the major errors in the PBO analysis pretty quickly though, instead of hammering home the findings from the flawed report that were in their favor. There should be transparency on the issue and their analysis should be shared, as this is already something that is already in effect and affects every Canadian.   

yea the late reaction to the disconnect is a bit weird. 

5 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Few people really are.  Not said in defense of JT but I'll point out there are a bunch of smart people who can crack a complex problem but can mess up simple arithmetic.

As many mathematicians are fond of pointing out:  There are three kinds of mathematicians - those that can add and those that can't.

The third being Schrodinger's mathematician. Obviously 😁

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Lets check in on Canadian democracy:

Everything running as intended 👍

Why does Lorrie think they wont be prosecuted?

Who is Lorrie?

Where is Kanada?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Who is Lorrie?

Where is Kanada?

If we had to reveal key details about how we gather information, the yea there might not be a public trial. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Who is Lorrie?

Where is Kanada?

My guess is that Kanada is some sort of reference to the USSR.....as if we're a Communist country, or some such nonsense. As if due process is some sort of repressive ideology.... :classic_rolleyes:

As to who Lorrie is, he could be just about anyone. If you go by the content in the tweet, he could even be lurking here, under the guise of a former (or current) Canuck player....or a manlike figure made of snow....or a cartoon dog.....

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If we had to reveal key details about how we gather information, the yea there might not be a public trial. 

No need.

Lorrie says treason has been committed by some politicians.

She/he doesn't know who they are, but they did it.

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Lets check in on Canadian democracy:

Everything running as intended 👍

damn- sure glad this guy isn't a judge.

Seems to have already decided the case.

And without hearing any  evidence, or seeing any actual charges either.

Edited by Gurn
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

No need.

Lorrie says treason has been committed by some politicians.

She/he doesn't know who they are, but they did it.

don't f*ck with Lorrie. 

It's a crappy situation, no doubt. It bothers me that there are likely MPs who may not face harsh consequences because revealing how we know they are crooked could hurt Canada even more. 

It's also disappointing, but not surprising, that PP will use this to to his advantage and not the country. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1