Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

12 minutes ago, Gurn said:

damn- sure glad this guy isn't a judge.

Seems to have already decided the case.

And without hearing any  evidence, or seeing any actual charges either.

I guess you haven't got the memo. Canada is "broken", Trudeau's cabal is "corrupt" and you have no rights. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

I guess you haven't got the memo. Canada is "broken", Trudeau's cabal is "corrupt" and you have no rights. 

Hyperbole is a dangerous thing.

Media- and society are absolutely full of it.

Headlines, and story content included.

words like 'outraged', have replaced 'concerned'.

The 'descriptive word blender' is now running at 14  on a scale of 1 to 10.---- how's that for 'on the nose'?

Gotta get those clicks.

15 hours ago, Bob Long said:

well we do actually employ them to do that. Look at the current BC NDP, people seem quite happy with the debt they are ringing up. 

Yet, what does this Province need most? Schools. (Falcon's answer to that was more portables) Roads and Bridges are currently being built, but the costs have skyrocketed since the day they began construction. Hospitals, same. Skytrain extention, a much needed portion of transit. As well as the current highway and bridge construction. Add to that the labour shortage for all projects, this is what you get. 10,000 people a month coming to the Province monthly, I'd say all of this is needed. Everyone has their hands out, but no other party has any answers. We've seen what the previous Government did in this Province for 16 years.

Just now, Gurn said:

Hyperbole is a dangerous thing.

Media- and society are absolutely full of it.

Headlines, and story content included.

words like 'outraged', have replaced 'concerned'.

The 'descriptive word blender' is now running at 14  on a scale of 1 to 10.---- how's that for 'on the nose'?

Gotta get those clicks.

I didn't realize just how pained the CPC base is, until Skippy was unwilling to look at the files that Johnstone was handling. It was more important to him to be able to spin this, than learn about it and propose a better way forward. And the base cheered it on.

I don't think the CPC base has ever gotten over Trudeau beating Harper, and the subsequent embarrassments with Otoole and that secret American dude. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I noticed that while JT is out of the country, in Normandy for Dday,  that the interest rate dropped AND gas prices have gone down...

Coincidence? I think not!

see thats what happens when Soros loses focus for even one day. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Yet, what does this Province need most? Schools. (Falcon's answer to that was more portables) Roads and Bridges are currently being built, but the costs have skyrocketed since the day they began construction. Hospitals, same. Skytrain extention, a much needed portion of transit. As well as the current highway and bridge construction. Add to that the labour shortage for all projects, this is what you get. 10,000 people a month coming to the Province monthly, I'd say all of this is needed. Everyone has their hands out, but no other party has any answers. We've seen what the previous Government did in this Province for 16 years.

sure but its not all going to those things, we're seeing billions going into small cheque rebates that we can't really afford. I don't have a problem with debt as long as it's actually targeted to help grow our economy, I don't see that part of their plan. Maybe you can show me where that is. 

29 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

sure but its not all going to those things, we're seeing billions going into small cheque rebates that we can't really afford. I don't have a problem with debt as long as it's actually targeted to help grow our economy, I don't see that part of their plan. Maybe you can show me where that is. 

I wish we all had answers. ICBC is now turning a profit, previously it was a dumpster fire. I don't think you're old enough to remember private insurance in this Province, but I never got a rebate from Mutual of Omaha. That said, as the population in this Province is aging out into retirement, the need for more teachers, health care workers, construction trade workers, every sector in fact have shortages. Right now the construction industry is the largest sector going. Housing is a work in progress in all Provinces, but hopefully interest rates will help. That said, housing prices will probably rise too.

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I noticed that while JT is out of the country, in Normandy for Dday,  that the interest rate dropped AND gas prices have gone down...

Coincidence? I think not!

I hear he's planning on a visit to Gold Beach....

.....do a little treasure hunting....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Johngould21 said:

I wish we all had answers. ICBC is now turning a profit, previously it was a dumpster fire. I don't think you're old enough to remember private insurance in this Province, but I never got a rebate from Mutual of Omaha. That said, as the population in this Province is aging out into retirement, the need for more teachers, health care workers, construction trade workers, every sector in fact have shortages. Right now the construction industry is the largest sector going. Housing is a work in progress in all Provinces, but hopefully interest rates will help. That said, housing prices will probably rise too.

I don't disagree with the fundamentals you are stating, but we can't afford the goodies. The little rebate cheques, etc. are luxuries, and are temporary things. I don't really want to drive up the debt for vote buying, it's not acceptable when any party does it, imo. 

The infrastructure and healthcare capacity stuff, of course that makes sense. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't disagree with the fundamentals you are stating, but we can't afford the goodies. The little rebate cheques, etc. are luxuries, and are temporary things. I don't really want to drive up the debt for vote buying, it's not acceptable when any party does it, imo. 

The infrastructure and healthcare capacity stuff, of course that makes sense. 

Meanwhile we're in the wrong thread, lol!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Liberal MP Jennifer O’Connell thinks committing TREASON is funny. I wonder if her name is on the list?  Those who scream the loudest. 

Or just finds the Conservatives' complete inability to understand due process funny?

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

🤦‍♂️ The circus gets goofier. Once when I was young I thought it'd be great to become a politician, to try to actually change things for the better. I'm glad I came to my senses and hung onto my soul instead.

There needs to be serious consequences if this whole thing gets bungled. The people should be given a voice outside of elections. Maybe some kind of public union. How do you ensure accountability when every party becomes corrupt? I'd like to believe in the courts as a safety net, but even that doesn't seem wise anymore.

Edited by Ralph.
Typo

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Or just finds the Conservatives' complete inability to understand due process funny?

Exactly. Once they have proof of malfeasance, then names can be dragged through the mud. Not before.

The Cons know this. (As do their supporters) They just see it as another thing they can bitch about to score political points.....

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ralph. said:

🤦‍♂️ The circus gets goofier. Once when I was young I thought it'd be great to become a politician, to try to actually change things for the better. I'm glad I cam to my senses and hung onto my soul instead.

There needs to be serious consequences if this whole thing gets bungled. The people should be given a voice outside of elections. Maybe some kind of public union. How do you ensure accountability when every party becomes corrupt? I'd like to believe in the courts as a safety net, but even that doesn't seem wise anymore.

I think that's a broad brush you're using Ralph. We have no idea who, or how many MP's are involved in this....or what party(s) they may represent....nor do we know if there's any actual proof.

I think it's a bit harsh (and premature) to declare everyone "corrupt".

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Liberal MP Jennifer O’Connell thinks committing TREASON is funny. I wonder if her name is on the list?  Those who scream the loudest. 

No she thinks the political theatre is funny, which it is.

Would you release the names if it further damaged our national security? Yes or no, please.

Opposition challenges Liberals to name parliamentarians allegedly colluding with foreign powers - The Globe and Mail

Opposition asks Liberals to name parliamentarians colluding with foreign powers

The Official Opposition challenged the government Wednesday to release the names of all parliamentarians who have been identified in intelligence reports as colluding with foreign powers.

A report released Monday by the National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians, a watchdog set up by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, said a number of federal politicians, whom it declined to identify, are collaborating with countries such as India and China.

Conservative foreign affairs critic Michael Chong on Wednesday urged the minority Liberal government to identify these parliamentarians. Were the government to name these people in the House of Commons, anyone doing so would be protected from legal action by parliamentary immunity.

“The report reveals that parliamentarians including members of this House, knowingly and willingly assisted a hostile foreign state, in Parliament and in our elections, to the detriment of the people of Canada,” Mr. Chong said during Question Period.

“Parliamentarians’ duty is not to a foreign state, but to the people of Canada. A simple question. Will the Prime Minister release the names of these parliamentarians?”

Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said it would be irresponsible to identify the parliamentarians.

“No responsible government would reveal names under these types of confidential circumstances,” Mr. LeBlanc told the Commons.

The national-security committee report from Monday is the latest to outline deficiencies in how the government addresses meddling by foreign powers in Canadian democracy. The committee, made up of MPs from all major parties as well as senators, detailed collaborations between federal politicians and foreign governments, including “communicating frequently with foreign missions before or during a political campaign to obtain support from community groups or businesses which the diplomatic missions promise to quietly mobilize in a candidate’s favour.”

The national-security committee also reported Monday that some parliamentarians are “accepting knowingly, or through willful blindness, funds or benefits from foreign missions or their proxies which have been layered or otherwise disguised to conceal their source.”

It said some federal politicians are giving foreign diplomats information on the work or opinions of fellow parliamentarians, knowing it will be used to put pressure on MPs to change their positions. And it said some parliamentarians are following the direction of foreign officials to improperly influence colleagues or parliamentary business, or giving information learned in confidence from the government to a foreign intelligence officer.

14 minutes ago, Ralph. said:

🤦‍♂️ The circus gets goofier. Once when I was young I thought it'd be great to become a politician, to try to actually change things for the better. I'm glad I came to my senses and hung onto my soul instead.

What do you mean by "corrupt"? 

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I think that's a broad brush you're using Ralph. We have no idea who, or how many MP's are involved in this....or what party(s) they may represent....nor do we know if there's any actual proof.

I think it's a bit harsh (and premature) to declare everyone "corrupt".

Speaking more philosophically on that one, not really speaking to this exact situation. I should be more clear in my political posts; I haven't done many in the last number of years and I believe I am a bit rusty.😅

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

No she thinks the political theatre is funny, which it is.

Would you release the names if it further damaged our national security? Yes or no, please.

You love defending corrupt politicians.  Always an excuse for liberal ineptness and corruption

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Conservative government asks Trudeau to name the TRAITORS!!!

Here's the thing.

What if they drop a list and it contains more cons than libs?

What then?

What would they say?

The irony is Pierre would HAVE these names if he'd actually gotten security clearance like he's entitled to but refused

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What do you mean by "corrupt"? 

Pretty much my same response as to Rup. I don't mean to suggest whole parties are being influenced by foreign agents, but there's clearly smoke here. I think it begs the question: what happens if it (hypothetically) goes so far the government can't – or won't –  fix itself?