Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Slightly off topic, but apparently comedian (and I use that term ironically) Rob Schneider got booed off the stage at a fundraiser in Regina, because his act was full of transphobic and anti-vax content.

I'm not sure if the organizers had no idea what Schneider is all about, (or how unfunny he is) or thought his style would appeal to a crowd from Saskatchewan, but they ended up issuing an apology.....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/hospitals-regina-foundation-1.7225493

Also, I kinda think it's important to underscore the cluelessness of hiring an anti-vaxxer for a Hospital fundraiser....:picard:

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Slightly off topic, but apparently comedian (and I use that term ironically) Rob Schneider got booed off the stage at a fundraiser in Regina, because his act was full of transphobic and anti-vax content.

I'm not sure if the organizers had no idea what Schneider is all about, (or how unfunny he is) or thought his style would appeal to a crowd from Saskatchewan, but they ended up issuing an apology.....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/hospitals-regina-foundation-1.7225493

Also, I kinda think it's important to underscore the cluelessness of hiring an anti-vaxxer for a Hospital fundraiser....:picard:

Should have done their own research...anyone with half a brain would have known or discovered his background.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, bolt said:

Should have done their own research...anyone with half a brain would have known or discovered his background.

Yep.

Mind you, this was in Saskatchewan....

43 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So if PP won the leadership due to China interference in the race, shouldn't he be disqualified? 

100% should be reviewed and a new leadership race held.

If he wins, he wins.

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

So if PP won the leadership due to China interference in the race, shouldn't he be disqualified? 

There will be China interference no matter what, the government just has to limit it the best they can and make sure its only at a media/social media level and does not reach the level of candidates taking foreign money. India, Russia, and the US are the other big three to keep an eye on. I would think India and China would be targeting their support to the parties with most lax immigration policies to increase their influence.   

Edited by Bure_Pavel

19 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

There will be China interference no matter what, the government just has to limit it the best they can and make sure its only at a media/social media level and does not reach the level of candidates taking foreign money. India, Russia, and the US are the other big three to keep an eye on. I would think India and China would be targeting their support to the parties with most lax immigration policies to increase their influence.   

I'd start by banning all corporate donorship for political parties.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd start by banning all corporate donorship for political parties.

Im sure the politicians will get right on that one. All donations should have 100% transparency though to the government and public.  

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

but what if there's evidence that China was able to stack the votes, to ensure PP won? 

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

its Regina, they were happy anyone showed up. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

but what if there's evidence that China was able to stack the votes, to ensure PP won? 

I'm not sure what that evidence would look like unless it was fraudulent mail in votes or sending non citizens to vote? In which case an audit and recount would be warranted, but probably wouldn't happen as would be a ton of work. The best thing they can do is prevention and tightening voting procedures.   

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

I'm not sure what that evidence would look like unless it was fraudulent mail in votes or sending non citizens to vote? In which case an audit and recount would be warranted, but probably wouldn't happen as would be a ton of work. The best thing they can do is prevention and tightening voting procedures.   

there was noise around a potential for a bunch of fake memberships, it was all sketchy and shut down quickly. Maybe thats where China was most effective? 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

there was noise around a potential for a bunch of fake memberships, it was all sketchy and shut down quickly. Maybe thats where China was most effective? 

For swaying the vote I would assume China does quite well utilizing social media campaigns. I believe China has partial ownership in tiktok which has just under 15 million Canadian users and is very influential to the younger population.   

Edited by Bure_Pavel

11 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

For swaying the vote I would assume China does quite well utilizing social media campaigns. I believe China has partial ownership in tiktok which has just under 15 million Canadian users and is very influential to the younger population.   

its interesting tho that Skippy only phased out bulk membership buying after he won: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-bulk-memberships-1.6878330

The policy shift comes at a time of closer public scrutiny of internal party nomination contests — a part of Canada's democracy that doesn't get a lot of oversight.

As claims of foreign interference dominate the political conversation in Ottawa, some experts are calling for tighter controls over the process that picks party nominees for an MP's seat.

While Elections Canada has rules on financing, the mechanics of these contests are largely left to the individual parties

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Of course you would. That's your bias creeping in. What about Russia? What about parties that sell Canadian assets (technology/resources) to foreign countries? What about parties that won't hold foreign countries accountable for human rights violations or won't support  adversaries in diplomatic struggle/war. (Taiwan, Ukraine, Punjab).

If you put on your critical thinking cap, and think hard about all of the ways foreign influence in our politics could potentially benefit these bad actors it certainly muddies the water, no? If anything it leans right imo. 

Here's an example, after Canada announced they had significant proof that India sent assassins to kill people on our soil, what was the message from the right? Something about the economy, right? That's what these foreign powers are banking on. Why send money to Ukraine when we have our own problems? Why recognize Taiwan if it's of no benefit to us? There are real, tangible, benefits to these countries influencing our politics. I'm just struggling to see how lax immigration policies even make the list.

That being said there would be also be great benefit to influencing party membership in the party more sympathetic to these causes. Who knows? Let's wait and see how this plays out before we get out the pitchforks. 

Edited by JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Of course you would. That's your bias creeping in. What about Russia? What about parties that sell Canadian assets (technology/resources) to foreign countries? What about parties that won't hold foreign countries accountable for human rights violations or won't support  adversaries in diplomatic struggle/war. (Taiwan, Ukraine, Punjab).

If you put on your critical thinking cap, and think hard about all of the ways foreign influence in our politics could potentially benefit these bad actors it certainly muddies the water, no? If anything it leans right imo. 

Here's an example, after Canada announced they had significant proof that India sent assassins to kill people on our soil, what was the message from the right? Something about the economy, right? That's what these foreign powers are banking on. Why send money to Ukraine when we have our own problems? Why recognize Taiwan if it's of no benefit to us? There are real, tangible, benefits to these countries influencing our politics. I'm just struggling to see how lax immigration policies even make the list.

That being said there would be also be great benefit to influencing party membership in the party more sympathetic to these causes. Who knows? Let's wait and see how this plays out before we get out the pitchforks. 

That would just be my thinking if I were in their shoes (India and China). For Russia I would assume military spending and stance on the war would be their priorities. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Im sure the politicians will get right on that one. All donations should have 100% transparency though to the government and public.  

Something we were promised back in 2019 when the liberals lost their majority. We never got it just as we didn’t get electoral reform in 2015.

Going forward to bring back faith and trust in Canadians, we would need these two things to happen.  Will it? Probably not but sure feels disenchanted being a Canadian voter right now. 

Edited by EP Phone Home

Tory MP says he misspoke after NDP MP accuses him of making anti-Indigenous comment

OTTAWA — A Conservative MP apologized in the House of Commons on Thursday after an Indigenous colleague from across the political aisle called him out for linking an offender's criminal record to his race.

2 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Something we were promised back in 2019 when the liberals lost their majority. We never got it just as we didn’t get electoral reform in 2015.

Going forward to bring back faith and trust in Canadians, we would need these two things to happen.  Will it? Probably not but sure feels disenchanted being a Canadian voter right now. 

An NDP minority would really be in our best interest. Might actually get voting reform if they can come to an agreement with/support from the Libs, but not enough unilateral power to make some of their bass-ackwards economic ideas reality. 

• Cheers 1

Interesting in US news ..... Seems the Canadian right wing colors of the upside down flag is spreading through the states.

PP and his freedumbers whipped their ass with our flag and have stolen it from the country as it's now a symbol of the conservative f truduea clan ( polling actually shows many many Canadians dont see our flag with the same Patriotic feelings and believe it is been cooped as the colors of the conservatives)

Well ..... Not going over so well In the states lol ..... Their vets are pissed.  Anything that disrespects their flag is not tolerated and they are calling out the cry baby's who are screaming their country is in distress so it's relevant 

That's the second thing Maga morons have copied from our morons ..... First it was using semis for freedom convoys and now it's trying to steal their countries flag for their colors ..... Wish more of our vets would get vocal about it here 

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Interesting in US news ..... Seems the Canadian right wing colors of the upside down flag is spreading through the states.

PP and his freedumbers whipped their ass with our flag and have stolen it from the country as it's now a symbol of the conservative f truduea clan ( polling actually shows many many Canadians dont see our flag with the same Patriotic feelings and believe it is been cooped as the colors of the conservatives)

Well ..... Not going over so well In the states lol ..... Their vets are pissed.  Anything that disrespects their flag is not tolerated and they are calling out the cry baby's who are screaming their country is in distress so it's relevant 

That's the second thing Maga morons have copied from our morons ..... First it was using semis for freedom convoys and now it's trying to steal their countries flag for their colors ..... Wish more of our vets would get vocal about it here 

I figured the attempt to get the War Memorial converted into a urinal would have gotten their attention.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

An NDP minority would really be in our best interest. Might actually get voting reform if they can come to an agreement with/support from the Libs, but not enough unilateral power to make some of their bass-ackwards economic ideas reality. 

I don't disagree.... But is there a legitimate path to that outcome?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Depends on what that voting reform would be. For example, if it means rural people get less of a say in anything, that would be a tough sell for me.

Edited by The Lock

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Depends on what that voting reform would be. For example, if it means rural people get less of a say in anything, that would be a tough sell for me.

I haven't seen a proportional model that reduces rural representation.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I haven't seen a proportional model that reduces rural representation.

Well, that's good then. But I'd also have to see it for myself.

I know the local general sentiment when the BC NDP tried the change the voting a few years back was not good. It also didn't help that they worded it in a way that made it confusing on the ballot.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1