Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

there was noise around a potential for a bunch of fake memberships, it was all sketchy and shut down quickly. Maybe thats where China was most effective? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68931295

I'm sure it didn't affect the results.  Pierre is much more popular in his own party than Justin.  Pierre won with almost 70% on the first ballot.  

Should re-do the 2021 election with that same argument?  Doesn't seem like something that is wanted to get fixed; maybe too much money involved?

Edited by bolt

23 minutes ago, bolt said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68931295

I'm sure it didn't affect the results.  Pierre is much more popular in his own party than Justin.  Pierre won with almost 70% on the first ballot.  

Should re-do the 2021 election with that same argument?  Doesn't seem like something that is wanted to get fixed; maybe too much money involved?

Maybe we should .

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, that's good then. But I'd also have to see it for myself.

I know the local general sentiment when the BC NDP tried the change the voting a few years back was not good. It also didn't help that they worded it in a way that made it confusing on the ballot.

Of course.

Yea that wasn't presented well. The NDP is fixated on one type which was a problem federally as well.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I don't disagree.... But is there a legitimate path to that outcome?

Realistically? Probably not. It will be interesting to see who's implicated in the the treason mess and what effect that has on votes. Between the Conservatives empty rage farming and even worse record, and Liberal incompetence/Trudeau malaise... Mix in some treason, maybe votes flock away from the two big parties?

9 hours ago, The Lock said:

Depends on what that voting reform would be. For example, if it means rural people get less of a say in anything, that would be a tough sell for me.

I don't see how any voting reform leads to less representation?

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Realistically? Probably not. It will be interesting to see who's implicated in the the treason mess and what effect that has on votes. Between the Conservatives empty rage farming and even worse record, and Liberal incompetence/Trudeau malaise... Mix in some treason, maybe votes flock away from the two big parties?

This is a good point, this might be (and depending on who knew what) maybe should be what ends this current lib run. 

Trudeau had better get out in front of this in a hurry, and not in some bs way.

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't see how any voting reform leads to less representation?

I recall a lot of fear mongering about this outside of cities.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Because for some reason, the most sensible option of a ranked ballot wasn't even an option when BC voted on it.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Because for some reason, the most sensible option of a ranked ballot wasn't even an option when BC voted on it.

dunno, the NDP provincially and federally seem to really dislike this option. 

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

The bigger issue for "rural areas" (more accurately Conservatives) is that it all but guarantees the Cons never see a majority (minority governments are a good thing in general IMO and ESPECIALLY re: Cons lol). Otherwise, basically ANY electoral reform would be more representative of the people. Period. 

But you can see why both Cons (and the Libs federally) and the wealthy, media etc that are happy with the status quo are against it. It increases representation to the 2/3-3/4 Canadians that are generally progressive, and allows more freedom for people to vote their actual wishes vs strategically etc. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

dunno, the NDP provincially and federally seem to really dislike this option. 

All parties are self serving 🤣 NDP want proportional because it gives them the most seats (while being confusing to voters and convoluted seat selection). Liberals were for ranked ballot because it's the reform method that likely sees them win more seats vs proportional. 

Ranked wins for me as it's a compromise on the system while still be an improvement in being representative and by FAR the least confusing.

• ThereItIs 1

So Hungary buys Gripen fighters.

Hmm..they are also in NATO.

So much for the excuse it would cost to integrate their systems into NATO/US

Canada would have been better off with F-15's. F-18 Super Hornets, or Gripens.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Only if they were able to acquire the newest version; the F15 EX complete upgrade in 2021.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sweden is also in NATO now, but wasn't at the time of the order.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

All parties are self serving 🤣 NDP want proportional because it gives them the most seats (while being confusing to voters and convoluted seat selection). Liberals were for ranked ballot because it's the reform method that likely sees them win more seats vs proportional. 

For sure but I would have hoped they would bend and at least get started with ranked ballot.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Ranked wins for me as it's a compromise on the system while still be an improvement in being representative and by FAR the least confusing.

I see it as the starter kit. Once people get used to it we can decide then if it makes sense to take it further.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

May is right.  

I also like how she pointed out that Pierre's refusal to get clearance is seriously questioning.

And yet it was every liberal that voted, voted against looking into the foreign interference. Is that not of concern to you?

https://www.noscommunes.ca/Members/en/votes/44/1/339?view=party#mip-vote-text-collapsible-text

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

And yet it was every liberal that voted, voted against looking into the foreign interference. Is that not of concern to you?

https://www.noscommunes.ca/Members/en/votes/44/1/339?view=party#mip-vote-text-collapsible-text

Interesting, that's the same Pierre and Conservatives who voted unanimously as a majority against the unfair elections act in 2014?

Edit*  This is to remind you that the Cons are literally no different than the Libs

Edited by Warhippy

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Interesting, that's the same Pierre and Conservatives who voted unanimously as a majority against the unfair elections act in 2014?

Edit*  This is to remind you that the Cons are literally no different than the Libs

What does something that happened in 2014 have to do with this current allegations?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

For sure but I would have hoped they would bend and at least get started with ranked ballot.

Yup, perfection, the enemy of good.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I see it as the starter kit. Once people get used to it we can decide then if it makes sense to take it further.

I might steal that 😂 Election reform starter kit!

I like the "idea" of better proportional representation that more accurately reflects the actual wishes of voters offered under proportional...but they need to come up with something WAY more straight forward IMO. Just too damn convoluted to vote, assign seats, get local reps etc, etc. Also need to do something about the risk of extremist groups potentially getting seats. That's no bueno IMO.

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

54 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

May is right.  

I also like how she pointed out that Pierre's refusal to get clearance is seriously questioning.

Maybe it has something to do with sketchy bulk CPC memberships? I wonder how many went his way?

28 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What does something that happened in 2014 have to do with this current allegations?

I see your point.  I see Hippy's. 

What I don't see is why we are finger pointing when we don't know where to point.  For now - and probably not for too much longer - I'm ok with not knowing where to point if it is going to protect the innocent and the safety of intelligence sources.   Screw the guilty.  We will be getting to them soon enough.  There is no rug big enough for this to be swept under.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Look

At

The

Last

Line

It shouldn't be hard to understand when I LITERALLY post exactly why I made that statement

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Look

At

The

Last

Line

It shouldn't be hard to understand when I LITERALLY post exactly why I made that statement

Two 

Completely 

Different 

Situations

10 years

Apart

This is ridiculous honestly 

• ThereItIs 1